Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Machocruz

Arcane
To me night in the first game was ok until you get higher in level and the regular zombies become mighty durable and spam grab moves all the time, so you can't even finish off a small group of them before a Volatile comes over to see what's going on. And I guess that might be a second issue, Volatiles spawn too close to each other in the first game, when you just want to chop some heads and get sweet nighttime XP bonus.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
is there anything that is better than Daylight 1?

It depends. If you prefer a more gritty, realistic zombie bashing game, yeah this is not going to cut it. If you're prepared to accept that your character is something like a superhero
(it's kinda explained in the story, but it's shit)
then there's two things.

More combat options: yeah the physics are wonky and sometimes you slap a zombie with a bat and they fly like they got punched by the hand of god. But, there are definitely more combat options in this game, and it's fun. Lots of throwables, parkour combat, environmental options, etc. I'd imagine once the game gets polished more, people who put together youtuble kill compilations (Dishonored, Far Cry, etc) will start showcasing this.

Also, your weapons aren't wet noodles like in DY1.

More parkour options: Definitely seems like there's more parkour options, increased verticality (especially once you reach downtown), interiors and more "natural" feeling parkour sessions. That being said, there is some jank, especially when dealing with certain terrain.

There's also dungeons in the open world now, if you're into that kind of thing.

Is this worth suffering through the absolutely atrocious campaign? Eh. How much do you like to spam the skip dialogue button?

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Jesus christ I just enabled raytracing according to that guy's recommended settings and the game looks completely different. My frame rate went down from 150-170ish to more like 110-130 and there are some unpleasant 1% lows popping up but holy shit these visuals are so much better. (Mind you I had to go to DLSS Performance instead of Quality to get that)

This is completely different to Cyberpunk 2077 where I could barely tell when RT was enabled.

I don't think I could play this without RT on anymore it is honestly a different game visually

Exactly. The above wasn't as guilty of it, but the original clickbait video about the "huuuuuuuuuuge downgrade" that was making the rounds was with all of that switched off. I haven't tried it personally with raytracing turned off (only got it last night), but it looks fantastic with it on, and makes the criticisms seem really off.

Something I'm loving so far is that dark areas are actually dark; with the gamma set correctly, you can't see shit in the dark without a flashlight, and given the implication that has for your stealth, it's actually working as it should in more games.

Mortmal

Arcane
About this timer....what exactly means? You get 5 minutes to explore because darkness Is like radiations.....then you exit and enter again to explore? In that case I don't see much harm because exploring those places Is like swimming. If you have to explore an entire building in a single run and can't come back later then It Is bad.
Do not worry with the timer, you get so many consumables you can completely ingore it, and there's many UV lamps all over the place. Only real restriction is its better to not explore buildings when day come.

Drop Duck

Learned
Exactly. The above wasn't as guilty of it, but the original clickbait video about the "huuuuuuuuuuge downgrade" that was making the rounds was with all of that switched off. I haven't tried it personally with raytracing turned off (only got it last night), but it looks fantastic with it on, and makes the criticisms seem really off.
The comparison between the E3 2019 demo and the retail version was showcasing a downgrade in presentation in general, not just shadows. Less NPCs, less dynamic gameplay, less C&C. Can't tell if RTX is on or not, those Digital Foundry guys made it out to be a game changer but I can barely tell any difference.

Drop Duck

Learned
To me night in the first game was ok until you get higher in level and the regular zombies become mighty durable and spam grab moves all the time, so you can't even finish off a small group of them before a Volatile comes over to see what's going on. And I guess that might be a second issue, Volatiles spawn too close to each other in the first game, when you just want to chop some heads and get sweet nighttime XP bonus.
Since it sold well enough to warrant a sequel and you told me it was looking decent I gave DL1 a go. It is a very good looking game, that comparison video that made the point that the sequel lacked punch was right. The first couple of hours were great, zombies were hard to take down and it is a struggle when they start swarming you. Night time is a proper horror show and getting chased is very intense.

After getting to a high enough level though I lost all interest and uninstalled it. It's much better than Dead Island but the gameplay and story suffers from the same plagues that have been with the genre since the 8th gen started. For whatever reason the digital artists are incredibly talented when it comes to game development but nobody else can keep up with them. The gameplay, since it has to be carried for hundreds of hours, puts you on this MMO treadmill that I don't care for one bit. With color coded itemization, scaling enemies, collect-a-ton busywork. All the work that was put into the visuals were wasted since at the end of the day you're playing a first person Ubisoft-Diablo game with parkour. The writers are also as usual the weakest link in the chain with the script being atrocious. The shallow gameplay works in tandem with the plot to make you want to tear your hair out. Because they have these fancy animations and voice acting to give you a mission to collect five zombie asses or crayons, it's not a text box you can easily ignore like in MMOs.

After the scaling put those special zombies all over the place it just wasn't worth playing anymore. If the game was an old-school FPS they could have tuned it and made it something special. All video game writers need to be buried alive in a giant landfill somewhere while the game designers should have needles inserted under their nails until they are cured of the Diablo and Ubisoft influences. The coding and art departments can't carry the rest no matter how talented they are. In the case of Dying Light (and the sequel) it doesn't even look as good as an offering from Ubisoft from 2014 anyway. 500 hour long games that are worth playing for 5 hours max.

Drop Duck

Learned
No one in this thread even pretending it's rpg game...
It's not an RPG but people do call the Ubisoft staples along with the Diablo crap "RPG elements".
Having played the first Dying Light I have to agree with this. There is too much stretched too thin and it's annoying because there is a good game hiding in there somewhere. Caving in zombie heads was satisfying until the grind started and the level scaling kicked in. Dying Light 2 seems worse in that respect, being floaty and less impactful. Some Rage 2 feeling to the color palette too. Shittier in general.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:

Oh noooo,a game is not identical to the cinematic trailer......buahahahahha lol. Imagine what kind of a retard you have to be to expect the game to look like the trailer in 2021 lol.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Shit's took a hit yo lol, RTX more like RTS

man, this game got hit hard by the downgrade stick
snapshot.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
In reality, I dont give much of a shit about this downgrade stuff, everyone knows those companies lie as much as they can during presentations and that you shouldnt pay attention to any marketing material they post and that only videos after release from third parties are more trustworthy.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In reality, I dont give much of a shit about this downgrade stuff, everyone knows those companies lie as much as they can during presentations.

That doesn't mean they get a pass and shouldn't be called out on their scummy marketing shenanigans.
I'm total in favor of shitting on them but pretty much at this point, I assume they are scumbag liars and wait for the real game footage to be relased.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The writers are also as usual the weakest link in the chain with the script being atrocious.

Makes me really wonder if they were so desperate to get rid of Avellone's stuff, that they had an intern re-write everything.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Still think anyone complaining about the graphics downgrade should check out the raytracing options firsthand for a moment, even if it's a slideshow. It really does make a dramatic difference, and the game was obviously designed with it in mind. It is weird it doesn't have support for that on AMD cards despite -- at least I heard? -- that the current gen console versions have some of that enabled.

The comparison between the E3 2019 demo and the retail version was showcasing a downgrade in presentation in general, not just shadows. Less NPCs, less dynamic gameplay, less C&C. Can't tell if RTX is on or not, those Digital Foundry guys made it out to be a game changer but I can barely tell any difference.
The dude who made the video explicitly said "without RTX". And "max settings (without RTX)" is kinda oxymoronic in this case.

I don't know what difference is made by YouTube compression or your local resolutions / streaming quality settings, but it makes a noticeable one if you play the actual game with RTX on.

this game gonna be a meme and be forgotten faster than cyberpunk

Why? The original Dying Light was still finding new fans up to the released of this sequel, and the original fanbase seems happy with it even if many newcomers don't. Why would that be suddenly different this time around? I'm not even trying to shill here, it's just widely described as more of the same in positive terms, but aside from that it's much more accessible.

They did a lot to incentivize and push night-time running, for example. I assume the dangers at night ramp up as time goes on, because this time around the nights feel much more manageable at the start; mostly notably, I haven't seen any volatiles, whereas in the original most people (at least at the beginning, when Crane was a babe without skill points) were way too scared or tense to voluntarily go out at night, given it effectively meant fighting an enemy you were basically unable to hope to beat early on. Now it's much more chill if you know what you're doing, and beyond many more night-specific quests, there's real rewards for hitting darkzones etc. at night.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
it's cool how they were totally showing off raytracing in the 2018 E3 demo when the DX12 raytracing API didn't even exist yet

Old Hans

Arcane
my friends and I were playing coop and we get to the first area where you talk to people and good lord, the dialog for these people is so unnatural. imagine in real life, meeting someone for the first time, and the first thing they ask you, is to help them solve a murder

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom