Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

sher

Educated
What difficulty level should I choose?

It depends on your brainpower :D Just kidding. "Fair" difficulty is "expert": opponents creatures will have normal HP, no penalty, no bonuses. It was designed as "default" difficulty but since modern players... well... I will not characterize them... it was called "expert".

But if you lose all the time it may be a good idea to lower difficulty level but it has huge drawback. This game is about tempo in your development - you need to feel its flow and flow is different if difficulty setting is different. You'll have to learn again since your old tactics will not work at all.

If you're not a sissy it's better to learn on "expert" to save your time. It's somewhat harder but much more interesting. Personally I tried "beginner" my first time and it was very confusing since my Scout->Sniper just obliterated everything right from the start and AI had not any chance. I didn't get what this game was about and nearly deleted it. Fortunately I gave it one more try on "expert".

-----
As for the game itself... It's a masterpiece. I was shocked actually since it's "out of nowhere". Only MoM can compete due to its "global" spells and feel. But I must warn you: this game is EXTREMELY addictive and I mean it - it's an issue for the first time. I was able to play something else or have my free time for myself only after 3-4 months. It was joyful period but somewhat exhausting with sleepless nights.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Are we doing an RPG of the year? This should be it.

Proof that strategy games with RPG elements > RPGs.

The save system for this game is excellent. Most of the drama and excitement of ironman, without the frustration. After seeing this save system in action, most future games with conventional save systems should be downgraded slightly. Gaming is simply much, much better when your moves actually count.

But it is a time sink, with a fair amount of repetitive gameplay, so it may not appeal to everyone.

DakaSha

Arcane
Wtf man codex raving about a game. pretty much unanimously. I guess ill have to get it just to support a good dev event though the next game is coming out relatively soon

PorkaMorka

Arcane
could you tell more about the save system, please?

The game automatically saves every turn and you can't load previous saves. However, you can go back in time one turn at a substantial score penalty as a sort of "undo".

Additionally, losing your hero isn't necessarily going to cause you to lose the map, you can resurrect him and I've been able to recover from some very stupid deaths. And losing the map doesn't automatically cause you to lose the game. You'd have to lose several maps (dunno how many) to lose the game. I've lost one map so far. You do temporarily lose some unlocks, but they can be generated as rewards again later in the game.

I find playing like this to be better than save/loading, because there are actually consequences to your choices. And I find it better than iron man because I don't actually like starting games over most of the time.

DakaSha

Arcane
First impression (after very little gameplay..if any)

UGLY AS FUCK
&
WTF NEED TO PLAY DIS SHIT

Nigger alrady gets bonus points for using voronoi diagrams for the map layout.. something that i do not see enough of

edit: well i switched to windowed mode and its not as ugly any more

Gozma

Arcane
How long until that sequel is out? I dunno if I should get on this one or wait

Edit - Also I always found HOMM boring but I liked MoM, how likely is this to be dull to me

DakaSha

Arcane
how the fuck do i cancel a building plan.
edit: nvm i thought it would autobuild the stuff. guess not so it doesnt matter

mondblut

Arcane
How long until that sequel is out? I dunno if I should get on this one or wait

Spring.

Edit - Also I always found HOMM boring but I liked MoM, how likely is this to be dull to me

Well, it has nothing of the stuff that made HOMM retarded - like stacking 100500 peasants on a single hex or spending your days picking up piles of wood and rock someone conveniently scattered around for you to gather.

It has almost nothing similar to MoM beyond being a fantasy TBS, however. If anything, in stuff dissimilar to HOMM it is more like Dominions - Risk type map, tons of shit to search for in your own provinces, all kinds of random events happening every turn. If you wish, consider it "Dominions strategic level meets HOMM-on-cocaine basebuilding meets deretarded HOMM combat".

DakaSha

Arcane
I was going to say my first impression is that its more dominions inspired than anything. So far it looks like it has a lot of the cool stuff from dominions without the insane micro

sher

Educated
with a fair amount of repetitive gameplay

Since you have to conquer shards it will be somewhat similar process but your starting position will vary and you can try another combination of heroes. Since game always have stuff for you to do but you're limited by resources if you have repetitive fights => you're taking too safe route instead of daring and more rewarding one.

DakaSha

Arcane
I dont understand the events.. I get an event saying that pick pocketing is increasing which reduces my provinces income by 3... I can pick 3 options:

OUTRAGEOUS!
Something bla about paying 300 to reduce crime (no idea what this does)
Punish pickpocketing with death

I pick the third one and all it seems to have done is increase discontent in the province.. whats the point of that. I still lost the fucking 3 gold per turn. So my decision is: "Lose some or lose more."?

edit: wait.. is the effect that discontent rises, which in turn reduces the income? (Which would mean building something to increase happyness would bring things back to order?)

edit again: nope. I build a mood increasing building and the province is still 3 gold down. wtf is this shit

edit yet again...

Ok now I get an event that my hero has been attacked and i can say run away.. i pick that... then it says i dont get away. Ok. Now it gives me three options:

DAMN!
Oh too bad for them!
Pity.. What a fine hero he was

wtf is the point of those options? Im fighting either way

Bulba

Learned
lol
it's the dev having a laugh at your bad luck...
I think it's 50/50 whether you can get away or not.

so it got finaly translated

DakaSha

Arcane
lol

Im not asking why i couldnt get away. Im asking why i have options that seem to either: a) make no sense and do nothing b) just do something bad with no (apparent) benefit

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
lol

Im not asking why i couldnt get away. Im asking why i have options that seem to either: a) make no sense and do nothing b) just do something bad with no (apparent) benefit
Every choice affects your karma. Overally, they are either neutral, orderly (do-gooder style, i.e. caring for your people) or chaotic (killing, robbing, etc.). So you could say chaotic gives immediate bonuses, while being orderly helps you in the long run. Of course, some events, like the one you had, are just bad for you no matter what'd you choose.
A single one may not change it much, but if decide to be an asshole every single time, you will be known as chaotic, which affects morale of troops and stance of other immortal lords.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
/e: hoverdog beat me to it

Depending on how you react to events your karma shifts I think.
So if you choose/react nicely you get shifted towards order, if you choose/react evil you get shifted towards chaos.

In your example the "fine hero" option is probably the order one and the "sucks for him" option is probably the chaos one. And "damn" would be neutral.
Sometimes it's hard to tell from the translations (guessing the original responses were clearer).

Ashery

Prophet
lol

They don't "do nothing," but rather their effects are simply unstated.

Edit: Hah, three of us responded to the same point at around the same time.

sher

Educated
Game is trying to get your _motivation_ in event to determine your karma. If you're just average bastard but trying to show yourself as kind and caring ruler than you'll be punished with shift to chaos karma nonetheless :D It's about ethic.

Order or "good" is about caring and collective efforts. Army of Light relies on healing, shoulder to shoulder armored fighting based on defense and veterans. It's extremely powerful (armored fist with many healers, blessings and resurrection even, many units have First Strike) if you're able to save your soldiers and make heroes out of them. One of the most reliable and powerful starts is with 2-3 Swordsmen and 1 Healer, but it's expensive like every "good" deed in the beginning.

Chaos or "evil" is about personal gains, often at the expense of others. Army of tyrant relies on heavy assault, expendable soldiers, sacrifices and such things. Do or/and die vermin I have another meat bags - that's the motto. Lightly armored, next to none healing capabilities, but high attack and HP. It's not easy.

I think you'll like it because its combat system inspired by MoM and AoW, not HoMM. Actually there is next to nothing inspired by HoMM specifically: RPG elements are not HoMM invention. But combat system is much more advanced. Right and calculated movements, stamina and HP management are keys to victory => terrain and formations are very important. You can win almost impossible fights if you know how to move, take and deal damage, dynamically form local fronts etc. Oh, and just spamming best units will not work - you need to compose armies to be effective.

sher

Educated
Ok now I get an event that my hero has been attacked and i can say run away.. i pick that... then it says i dont get away. Ok. Now it gives me three options:

DAMN!
Oh too bad for them!
Pity.. What a fine hero he was

wtf is the point of those options? Im fighting either way

Don't send weaklings to scout unknown lands - they can find treasures for free but also they can find troubles and pain. Those ambushers often have nice loot by the way. And there is probability to avoid ambushers through dialog but it's _probability_.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Does it matter if I defeat opponents early? Do I lose any events or anything?

Oh, what would keeping the amulet of that barbarian guy have done, btw?

sher

Educated
Does it matter if I defeat opponents early? Do I lose any events or anything?

Oh, what would keeping the amulet of that barbarian guy have done, btw?

If you're asking about shards than no, you'll not lose anything since conquering shard is the goal. Sometimes rare campaign quests will take place on some shard but you'll be notified early and it's hard to miss it.

If you're asking about astral masters than it's a secret by design: you're creating your own destiny in order to avoid consuming Chaos. I've never been past turn 40-50 in astral plane (almost all structures unlocked) so don't know what different endings are.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, just wondering if there is "something" down the road with the astral masters, or if it is just flavour dialogue that is lost.

Bulba

Learned
the campaign is around dealing with thoose masters. each of them has special abilaties, finding is them is part of fun. there are multiple ways the game can be completed in both good and evil.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone knows how powerful dragons are? Had a level 21 Slayer that single handedly defeated two opponents but didnt want to risk his life when he was my main asset and the battle was already won...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom