Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Shrimp

Arbiter
How are the dungeons in the network test? Someone I know who got into the network test said the ones he found were very small/short and that some of them had identical layouts.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How are the dungeons in the network test? Someone I know who got into the network test said the ones he found were very small/short and that some of them had identical layouts.
It just works.

Better or worse than Chalice Dungeons?

It's not popular opinion, but I liked Chalice Dungeons as optional bonus content for Bloodborne despite the procedural generation being repetitive.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
6668e3850dc1627d11468cb4699b2e45.jpg

I fucking hate traps...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The latest /v/ bullshit leak and schizo theory is that ER, like BB, turns into a Sci-Fi game in a midgame twist
Specifically into a Mech game and that the Moon is super important to the lore:

>A leak post mentions the ringworld map, undernground tunnels, a floating island with gifts falling from it,...
>ALL OF THIS is proved true by the closed beta
>The post mentions how there's gonna be a BIG MID GAME TWIST that affects story and gameplay
>Martin is specialized in those "magic is actually sci-fi" stories
>Elden Ring symbol on the surface of the Moon
>Lore mentioning the Moon, as well as "magic" sorcery being special stones (possibly minerals from the Moon)
>All foes seem to be actually just mutated humans if not beasts, from bosses to "goblin-like" demi humans
>Several enemies we have found look like alien tech or fauna (perfectly rounded globes that form a weird snake, weird tentacle bosses)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/gqy...ith-dark-souls-iii-director-hidetaka-miyazaki

>"You know, we actually released a Dreamcast game pretty similar to that concept, namedFrame Gride. It's a mix of fantasy and mecha genres, both of which I love working on. I'd love to work on a game that evokes the same themes as anime series likeAura Battler DunbineandThe Vision of Escaflowne, but it would be incredibly difficult to do so. I want to work on a game like that, but other people at FromSoftware would think that would be an impossible idea."

Basically, it implies that Miyazaki mixed Berserk with Escaflowne for Elden Ring.

Also, another painted world?

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
The latest /v/ bullshit leak and schizo theory is that ER, like BB, turns into a Sci-Fi game in a midgame twist

>Martin is specialized in those "magic is actually sci-fi" stories
Isn't all of this based on a GRRM quote from some interview where he (allegedly) said that Elden Ring was a fantasy game with Sci-Fi elements? I have no idea where or when he said it but I'm fairly sure I remember seeing people talk about it a couple of months ago

Silverfish

Arbiter

If this turns out, I'll take back everything I've said so far.

Shrimp

Arbiter
That animation of him standing on the cliff is rehahsed from Midir lol.
Same with the stagger and riposte animation, it's taken from either Midir or the Nameless King's dragon. It was the first thing I noticed during the 15 minute preview stream.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Holy shit, he takes 6 minutes to get to the point. TL;DW Kucktaku says Elden Ring will be accessible to snowflakes because you can run away from enemies, just like they run away from real life. Ie, Dark Souls: I can't Even Edition.

No official confirmation from From Soft, though having RR Martin involved would undoubtedly make GoT consoomers want to play this, so its in their best interest to make some considerations for them. Hopefully they won't ruin it trying to pander to them.

#FluffyManBad?

Black Angel

Arcane

Holy shit, he takes 6 minutes to get to the point.

Well, his audience included way more than just the 'hardcord' gamers, after all. Even he admitted there that he isn't quite in touch with the news surrounding Fromsoft's games as much as he probably should be.

But yeah, really funny article there; who would've thought that if only we properly invest our time in understand the game's mechanics, in accordance to how the devs intended it as an experience, we can actually beat, nay, we can actually....play the game?! Eureka!

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Holy shit, he takes 6 minutes to get to the point.

Well, his audience included way more than just the 'hardcord' gamers, after all. Even he admitted there that he isn't quite in touch with the news surrounding Fromsoft's games as much as he probably should be.

But yeah, really funny article there; who would've thought that if only we properly invest our time in understand the game's mechanics, in accordance to how the devs intended it as an experience, we can actually beat, nay, we can actually....play the game?! Eureka!

I imagine playing from the POV of a journo who got assigned to play it for a review article and having to finish it before a deadline messes with them, and if the reviewer is one of those who checks social media every few minutes, it might be difficult to not let your anguish bleed into your daily twitter whining.

Some guy posted a youtube video of Elden Ring parry, which looks more like DaS1 parry, no wind-up frames, just hit parry on hit. Is this true? That would be so awesome. I loved parrying in DaS1, still used it in DaS2, but it was a lot less effective with windup frames (having to predict when enemy would attack), and by DaS3, it was mostly useless, cause many enemies would have very different patterns and switch up at the last moment.

They will also have something called guard counter, which from the description sounds like parry for people who can't parry: basically a less effective follow up after simply blocking a strike. That sounds boring.

Caim

Arcane
Lenny goes into that in his recent video, and according to him parrying is like DS1.

2:28 for the parrying, 3:03 for the block counter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom