Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Remember that key gate in the turorial area? There is a dungeon of greater assrape behind that. Has a cool but tough as nails bossfight, as estus shard, an OP amulet with +Stamina +Carry Weight +Health and a spirit summon that I can't afford because it costs 100fp hidden inside. If you want some challenge I recommend checking that out.

Wunderbar

Arcane
How to open it? I found a stonesword key, but it looks like the dungeon needs two of them.

Horseback combat is legit cheese tier to be honest.
I've wound up at that underground river zone, just circling about, stacking enemies and then hitting the stacks with my doomhammer until they drop.
Speaking of, is it any good? I was suffering from the same problem many of the other Confessor chads are having, primarily being stuck with a fuckin' broadsword for 20 levels lul.
9LVMkVj.png

Puukko

Arcane
I suffered a Sony controller in my PC games for 2 years, then I smashed it, burned it, drowned the ashes in a river and bought a Xbox controller. My entire life is 13% happier now.
Swap those two around and that's my story... Well, til now. I dug up my Xbone controller to see if it was doing any better than last time. No, the dementia had only gotten worse.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Those of you playing Faith builds, have any of you found any catalysts aside from the standard Finger Seal?
I had realised I hadn't upgraded my catalyst but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up wasting the materials if there was an easily accessible alternative that I had overlooked. I've just defeated Godrick and so far the only other Faith catalyst I've come across is one with a 27 FTH requirement that appears to be for a specific type of incantation that I don't have access to anyway.

Those of you playing Faith builds, have any of you found any catalysts aside from the standard Finger Seal?
I had realised I hadn't upgraded my catalyst but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up wasting the materials if there was an easily accessible alternative that I had overlooked. I've just defeated Godrick and so far the only other Faith catalyst I've come across is one with a 27 FTH requirement that appears to be for a specific type of incantation that I don't have access to anyway.
Just one so far.
dTQSXAX.png

deem

Savant
Just discovered that you can go exploring the greyed out terrain on the map. I ventured south and...

...met a woman asking me to deliver a letter to her father. He can be found in a castle where the servants have rebelled. I continued down south and here I am.
20220226185320-1.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So after being stomped a lot, I actually really like the mounted combat now. Some tips if you're interested... Not sure if most people know all of these already, I've been playing completely blind so I've had to figure it out.

Normal movement can help you land attacks and wheel around, but charging all the time (it's a toggle) can help evade attacks. Mixing them up can help avoid attacks if the enemy is on to you.
Strong attacks have timing based on the weapon. You can hold the attack like you were charging it and then release it when you want to attack (up to a limit) in order to help with the timing.
Your horse's damage is separate from your own. The interesting thing about this is if you die, your horse doesn't die so whatever damage it has will carry over when you rez unless you rest or feed it items to heal it too. If you're not careful, you can be at full health and have your horse cut out from under you.
Sometimes eating a heavy attack will dismount you, but your horse isn't dead. If you have enough time and want to, you can quickly remount. If the horse is dead, you can remount but it'll cost one of your health flasks.
Your horse can double jump which can sometimes help you avoid eating an attack.
Longer weapons are generally better for attacking, but also it depends on the weapon type - for example a partisan has a very shallow swing arc, whereas swords more intuitively have a reach depending on the weapon length. Because so much of mounted combat is based on hit and run, weapon reach is more important than it is on foot.

The Decline

Arcane
I actually prefer the PS controllers to the Xbox ones, but I've bought a Razer one with the xbox configuration a couple of years ago and it's great. It even has 4 additional buttons on the underside. Why the hell they don't put those on the official controllers is a mystery. Then From could've put the crouch button somewhere else where you can't trigger it by walking :argh:

They have them on the elite controllers.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Oh, I forgot to mention that last night I realized this is a true Souls game when I Alt+F4 after getting killed by a dog. :salute: :5/5:

edit: I found the Claymore
:love:
Now, I wouldn't normally do this, but please spoil it for me: Where are the Zweihander and Greatsword located? Preeety please?
:desu:
wMhq64G.png
3500 souls

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Took down Godrick and Margit. Heard horror stories about them but they were pretty easy at level 40. So far Tree Sentinel is the hardest enemy in the game.

Ummm... I hope so? Most people are fighting him around level 20 or less. :P

But I guess that's the strength of the open world stuff. You can self manage your difficulty depending on your skill and appetite for challenge.

I've had a few enemies that I've had to run screaming from, which is pretty great.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stormveil castle is one of the best souls levels ever. Boletaria on steroids. A masterpiece in level design, they integrated the jump very well.

I'm really impressed. If the rest of the main story dungeons are so good, this could enter the discussion for best Soulslike game .

Dr1f7

Scholar
best boss so far?
bloodhound knight dariwill, really nice, reminded me of artorius from dks1 but maybe even better

fork

[...] I think I'll rank it as the worst souls game.

By far.
It's everything wrong with Dark Souls 3 times ten +open world. There are quite a few wow moments, but ultimately the game is just boring as fuck.

Imagine what we could have gotten had they spent all that effort on a classic Souls game. Well, I called it, but fell for the hype.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Jeez, I went back to Limgrave to see if I missed anything and I just keep stumbling across things I had missed. There's a TON of stuff hidden off the beaten path.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jeez, I went back to Limgrave to see if I missed anything and I just keep stumbling across things I had missed. There's a TON of stuff hidden off the beaten path.

I keep discovering minibosses I missed. Dark souls had optional bosses but not this many it seems.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This is the first game in a long time I actually feel like was worth its price.

I guess AAA games aren't dead, they're just back to being Japanese. We're regressing.

Western devs, what are you doing?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
. Boletaria on steroids.
That is high praise my man. High praise indeed.

It's crazy. Im sure a lot of critics with the game will sperg about the open world, when it's good, and you can traverse it very quickly and not even think about what these maniacs have done with the "classic duneons".

Maybe the next are weaker. But the complexity and quality of Stormveil castle is insane.

Curratum

Just beat my first side area miniboss in Limgrave and got an item for casters / faithers when I'm playing a quality melee build. How quaint. A bit hard to do too, when frames won't stay at a stable 60 even inside dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom