Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Curratum

I just bought it, it works very well. Only one minor minus is the need to switch some key bindings , other way it looks great and i spend here a lot of time.

Care to share your setup? I'm having a lot of fps issues outside of the stuttering, frames are just shit and I'm contemplating an upgrade but I'm not sure it will help and am collecting data from people who have the game working fine on at least medium, barring the stutters/freezes.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Any opinions on the story so far? I haven't gotten very far, I haven't done Margit yet, but so far this seems a bit tame and doesn't really grip my interest.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Sure. Amd Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB ram, Geforce 3700rtx 8gb vram, fast 2.0 2TB ssd, windows 10 [fresh install], 1080p resolution. I play only on this resolution becouse on larger monitors i feel sick so 4k is not for me.

randir14

Augur
I found some library with an NPC who keeps spamming great magic arrow and it does enough damage to almost one-shot me even with 40 vigor. To top it off she's guarded by other enemies who keep shooting at me with their own spells. This feels impossible as a pure melee character, I've died way more times here than on any of the bosses.

Don't do this to me, I'm levelling up a quality build melee char
There's even more bullshit to the fight but I won't spoil it. I beat her just now but it came down to throwing knives.

Curratum

I found some library with an NPC who keeps spamming great magic arrow and it does enough damage to almost one-shot me even with 40 vigor. To top it off she's guarded by other enemies who keep shooting at me with their own spells. This feels impossible as a pure melee character, I've died way more times here than on any of the bosses.

There's even more bullshit to the fight but I won't spoil it. I beat her just now but it came down to throwing knives.

Can't you roll through the spells? I was able to roll through pretty much every magic projectile, PVE or PVP, in previous DS games :(

randir14

Augur

Can't you roll through the spells? I was able to roll through pretty much every magic projectile, PVE or PVP, in previous DS games :(
You can dodge the arrow she casts if you have good timing, but if you're even a little bit off it'll hit the ground behind you and it still has huge AOE damage.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Horses + larger weapons basically cheese most of the field/open world bosses. Hopefully later on they get harder or I'm gonna have to fight them on foot.

Care to share your setup? I'm having a lot of fps issues outside of the stuttering, frames are just shit and I'm contemplating an upgrade but I'm not sure it will help and am collecting data from people who have the game working fine on at least medium, barring the stutters/freezes.

There's a huge amount of fixes that people are compiling on the internet, everything from launching without easy anticheat, playing in borderless window, removing steam overlay, etc. I expect that some mixture of this will help you.

Ideally, we don't need to do all this, but it's a Fromsoft game, and they're notoriously bad at PC ports. This is Dark Souls 1 launch level.

Any opinions on the story so far? I haven't gotten very far, I haven't done Margit yet, but so far this seems a bit tame and doesn't really grip my interest.

It really does feel like Dark Souls + GRR Martin. I personally am liking it and finding it more interesting than DS2 or DS3.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The lion statue rewards are pretty strong. Just did the one near the church at weeping peninsula that unlocked a boss fight.

Drops a talisman that gives you +3 vigor, strength, dex and endurance for an extra 4% damage taken (the damage taken number comes from /vg/ so who knows, but it seems accurate)

Curratum

Horses + larger weapons basically cheese most of the field/open world bosses. Hopefully later on they get harder or I'm gonna have to fight them on foot.

There's a huge amount of fixes that people are compiling on the internet, everything from launching without easy anticheat, playing in borderless window, removing steam overlay, etc. I expect that some mixture of this will help you.

I'm afraid the only thing that will help is getting a CPU with more physical cores. I'm on an i5. Looked it up and the best CPU I can put in this old mobo is an i7 3770 and that gives the exact same performance I have on my i5 with GPUs like mine.

Changing gfx settings has almost no effect on FPS - I get about the same frames on all Low and all High, with a 4-5 fps difference at best, usually less.

So the only thing I can do to really get good performance is spend 500 EUR on a new mobo, CPU, ram and PSU and I'm sure as fuck not willing to do that just for this one fucking game. I hope the dicks of the entire team who did the game's fucking PC port fall off.

Now, why in the actual fuck a game that looks and plays like this would need more than 4 cores to play at acceptable framerates is a mystery that only the fagwizards at FromSoft's tech department know.

Dr1f7

Scholar
D_X

No, did it after. The commander just took it and said he ain't moving. I returned to the woman who gave it to me only to find her dead.

On another note, did you find the ghost in the cage? It says that 'the mongrels are eating him'. Don't know what's that about.

I read that giving the note to the guy kills the girl so I didn't give note
then when I went back to girl she gave me a really cool weapon
D_X

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm afraid the only thing that will help is getting a CPU with more physical cores. I'm on an i5. Looked it up and the best CPU I can put in this old mobo is an i7 3770 and that gives the exact same performance I have on my i5 with GPUs like mine.

Changing gfx settings has almost no effect on FPS - I get about the same frames on all Low and all High, with a 4-5 fps difference at best, usually less.

So the only thing I can do to really get good performance is spend 500 EUR on a new mobo, CPU, ram and PSU and I'm sure as fuck not willing to do that just for this one fucking game. I hope the dicks of the entire team who did the game's fucking PC port fall off.

Now, why in the actual fuck a game that looks and plays like this would need more than 4 cores to play at acceptable framerates is a mystery that only the fagwizards at FromSoft's tech department know.

Digital Foundry still had stutters on an i9+RTX3090 bruh.

You're not going to be able to spend enough money to fix this crap engine.

The few people who say "works fine here" are all bullshitters. Digital Foundry even tested that config with lowered settings but nothing can fix the stutters period.

If an i9+RTX3090 gets stutters at 720p what hope could there be even for future hardware to fix this mess.

deem

Savant
Defeated a black knight on my second try. Pretty intense.

I fought him on foot. A strategy I can recommend is to stick to his left side, this severely limits his repertoire.
At times you can see the his programming breaking, trying to reposition himself to have you to his right.
By the time I knocked him off his horse, he was as good as dead. One critical, while on the ground and two or three hits to finish the job.
If you lose the fight, go back to the same spot at night, he'll be there.

20220226230312-1.jpg

Dropped this. Has a neat wind up animation on R2, like Simon Belmont's whip in SC4.

20220226230849-1.jpg

20220226230853-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
I've placed a couple of generic messages in dungeons warning players of ambushes and enemies hiding around corners, but I've noticed that they tend to only get rated in the first 10-20 minutes of me playing after logging in.
In this time frame I usually get a lot of notifications saying my message has been rated, but after 10-20 minutes I completely stop receiving them.
Does anyone know what's up with this? Do messages in other players' worlds get procedurally loaded every time other people connect to the server by logging in?

Curratum

I've placed a couple of generic messages in dungeons warning players of ambushes and enemies hiding around corners, but I've noticed that they tend to only get rated in the first 10-20 minutes of me playing after logging in.
In this time frame I usually get a lot of notifications saying my message has been rated, but after 10-20 minutes I completely stop receiving them.
Does anyone know what's up with this? Do messages in other players' worlds get procedurally loaded every time other people connect to the server by logging in?

Given how bloodstains are bugged and don't display death animations / last moments at all, I doubt messages work completely as intended either.

Curratum

Digital Foundry still had stutters on an i9+RTX3090 bruh.

You're not going to be able to spend enough money to fix this crap engine.

The few people who say "works fine here" are all bullshitters. Digital Foundry even tested that config with lowered settings but nothing can fix the stutters period.

If an i9+RTX3090 gets stutters at 720p what hope could there be even for future hardware to fix this mess.

I don't mean the intermittent stutters. I mean my overall framerate is ass, like dipping to 40 constantly in the open world and hitting as low as 30-something when I get in a horseback fight with a pack of wolves or another horseman, etc. Those are not stutter spikes, it's just low, crap fps, because the game is choking for more cpu cores.

Jackpot

Learned
I'm used to playing souls games on my PS3, so getting this game on my PC just makes me happy to have 60fps at all
Stutter? Slowdown? That's been a staple of souls games for me
part of the charm

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

The stutter issues is all over the place. There are a lot of people on the Steam forums arguing that they do not have any issues and the people saying this have varied systems. At this point I can only say that it has to be something to do with system configuration rather than hardware.

This is an issue that will be isolated and fixed in time. If it is unplayable for you then leave the game until it is fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom