Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

JDR13

Arcane
Is it gud? Still debating with myself if i should buy and play it right nao, but i still have my DS3 playthrough going on and other stuff.

The PC port is pretty shitty. Very lazily done.

As for the game itself, if you like DS 1-3 then you'll probably like Elden Ring.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
8 hours in and just learned that you can sprint :oops:. Is there in game somewhere where you can find all the controls? keybindings settings is leaving a lot stuff mentioned

Hassar

Scholar
my main issue with the game is that i've played 50% of the time with the same weapon. i did not want to use a walk-through but i think i'm ready to give up cause i need the location for some crafting stones (+5)

I’ve had the same issue/complaint since DS. We should have more control over selecting opening items and spells. We can select opening gifts but not a bow or a more fitting outfit.

Hassar

Scholar
So, this Elden Ring.

Is it gud? Still debating with myself if i should buy and play it right nao, but i still have my DS3 playthrough going on and other stuff.

It’s OK. Glad I didn’t pre-order or pay for the deluxe edition. I like Souls games so it’s fun enough, but ngl, I did not experience any hype before the release and the game still feels too similar to older releases. Some tropes are just irritating at this point. DS3 also put me to sleep so comparisons between ER to DS3 make perfect sense. I agree with comments that the music is forgettable:the theme sounds very similar to DaS’s main theme but the other boss themes did not make an impression on me at all. Playing with music turned down. Still kind of annoying how poor the AI for most enemies can be, though some bosses obviously had more effort incorporated into their move selection code.

It’s a fine game but I think the new Horizon game might be more hype-worthy.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I killed first major boss. 30h and explored i think about half the map. So some thoughts without spoilers. Melee greatsword build.

UPS

- By default without any mod game gives you ability to go to any place you want without any roadblocks bosses etc. You can find hidden pathways, portals etc that transport you to new lands. It is pretty fucking great feature for replayabity and getting those items for build you are trying to create.
- So far lore weirdly isn't dark fantasy but more like high fantasy. A lot of Arthurian type legends mixed with greek type myths. I like it. Another weird bit is that despite barely any dialogues in game you can pretty much get what this story is about. Just few key sentences here and there and you get it quickly as long as you are not lobotomized idiot.
- I thought that open world will be detriment to the game but i have to say now i see the point. Moreover the tradeoff that was supposed to happen aka the more open world = the less intricate dungeons etc. didn't happen. Game is absolutely is magnitudes bigger in terms of intricate locations than even DS2. The first major boss castle literally is bigger than Yarham from BB.
- So far the best aspect of game is actually exploration. Game is absolutely filled with weird stuff and doesn't feel copy paste at all. Yes there are some say dungeons that have similar tile set but all are designed to be very fun to explore and they ramp up in difficulty.
- Absolute shitload of different enemy types. I mean SOTN level of unique enemies where you can meet enemy that isn't used at all in any other locations. Moreover pretty much all of them have shitload of moves instead of 1-2-3 like in previous games. Sometimes they have 7-8 different moves and even when you think you saw it all they suddenly continue combo you thought was supposed to be last.
- Elden Ring is pretty much the hardest souls game so far. If you think Friede from DS3 was hard boss then prepare your anus for assrape. And i am not just talking about bosses. Even simple knights are waaaaaaaay harder than bosses in previous games. The bosses are simply incredible and there are absolutely shitload of them. They fake moves, they delay attacks to catch you roll, they know that you are trying to heal, they do double taps, they move around a lot and they have shitload of moves that they can now combo with each other especially if you are very close to them into infinite combo.
- I thought this game won't be a looker but i was wrong. Game is like Kenshi. It is not technically amazing etc. But share artistry shines through. It is the first starting area that you start that is by far weakest. Later on you will see truly amazing vistas.
- Unlike all previous souls games ranged combat is not anymore last resort. Due to how game is structured and how you are given options having a bow now makes total sense and it is deadly tactic.
- Horsegoat is great. I thought i would hate it but it really feels good to drive that fucker around. Mounted combat is also great it doesn't feel clunky at all.

DOWNS:

- weird technical stuff. Game doesn't support HDR in borderless mode only in fullscreen. Stutters at start it was annoying but thankfully the more you play the less of them. Weirdly it is the first area that suffers the most from it.
- crafting system. At first i thought it was horrible. Later on got a bit better but still imho it is just there to fill out space for fucks who like to collect stuff. Especially since everything you can craft you can more or less buy from vendors scattered around the world.
- Type A type B. Burgers ?
- upgrading system. The low/mid/high/top grade stones were replaced by even more tiers for some arcane reason i don't understand and like in previous games you have to still get around 9 for each level which means to fully upgrade one weapon you have to get full cart of those stones.
- Stonekeys. Pretty gimmicky stuff. Probably done so that you while exploring you can find something as loot.
- So far i have not found even one illusory wall or hidden door. Maybe it is an up then ?

So far if game would end on that major boss kill i would already rate it 9/10 and instantly would make new build. I am yet to finish game and i only think it is crazy that they somehow managed to finish it in like 4 years. Game is absolutely massive in size many times that of DS2 and yet it managed to be intimate and intricate at the same time which is absolute achievement.

Moreover due to how loot is placed and how everything is open it creates massive amount of reason to replay game. Gone are the days that you would have to wait 3/4 of game for item you needed for a build. Sure there are still some items that you get only from exploring those massive castles and so on which are not open as overworld but either way 9/10 loot you can get from start if your skills are good enough.

Last edited:

Curratum

So, do I need to get past the first major / castle boss to get the item you need to upgrade how much the flask heals?

Or items for more flasks, for that matter...

In other news, nice of the game to place a +7 spear in a cave that is accessible right from the start ^__^

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Upgrade your staff, or find a better one. You cannot upgrade sorceries, only find new ones.

Unfortunately this game has a problem where the strongest spell in the game is the shitty magic pebble throw you start with. Hopefully they buff late/mid game spells

Don´t tell me that when is the first time I make a magic build in souls game.

:negative:

Same here buddy, same here.

Perkel

Arcane
So, do I need to get past the first major / castle boss to get the item you need to upgrade how much the flask heals?

Or items for more flasks, for that matter...

In other news, nice of the game to place a +7 spear in a cave that is accessible right from the start ^__^

Upgrading anything has 0 to do with major bosses like you mentioned. Just explore world.

The first castle seems to be kind of lesson for newbs. They hit hard and bounce off and then they go exploring outside of it and find other stuff to do and come back finally to do it after they feel "ready"

flyingjohn

Arcane
The hand enemies,those animations.
Somebody siphoned funds from Miyazaki's poison swamp area to achieve this.

Nathir

Liturgist
Found the greataxe. Perfect fit for my barb. Killed the dragon with it and went back to that tree abomination at the start, where the chariot runs up and down. Revenge was sweet.

Opened a chest which teleported me into some mines with creepy bugmen. Ran away asap.

Found Patches in a cave. He said he didn't mean it and mistook me for a demi-man. No problem bro :love:.

Explored the whole of Castle Stormveil. Amazing level, with many secrets. I'm sure I missed plenty too. Loving the enemy design aswell. The birds with swords instead of talons look cool. Currently sitting in front of Godrick and pondering if I should kill him first or go explore other areas.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Curious about another thing, so one question for you guys that are playing.

Bit hard to get the question right, but... Wondering if that "souls" feeling is there, like from Demon Souls and Dark Souls that the world feels mysteries and oppressive? Or does the world feel more gamey/seen it done it before?

Last edited:

Curratum

Curious about another thing, so I question for you guys that are playing.

Bit hard to get the question right, but... Wondering if that "souls" feeling is there, like from Demon Souls and Dark Souls that the world feels mysteries and oppressive? Or does the world feel more gamey/seen it done it before?

I think I understand very well what you mean and for me, the uncanny souls flavor and atmosphere are 100% there.

It's that sense of wonder and foreboding, the tension as you turn that corner, the mystery, the wide-eyed amazement at what happens next, it's all in there.

If you have a good enough PC to get an overall stable framerate, just get it. The stuttering is present on all configs and is annoying but it's not game-breaking, as long as your average frames are stable. Sadly, mine aren't, but I'm still playing it, the way you'd eat the best cake in the world after a pig walked all over it and ate half of it, but you know, it's the best cake in the world and you're not getting another one like it, so you just dig in... :|

Curratum

I did the first dungeon in the game with seven +5 flasks. You just have to explore :)

Fuck me, man. I've explored a ton of locations in Limgrave, killed 3 or 4 named bosses and collected a bunch of stuff but I'm still on 4 plus-zero flasks. I do have a +7 spear though, so that makes things considerably easier... Will explore more, thanks!

Wunderbar

Arcane
I just noticed that your dropped souls runes can be reduced for some reason.

Whacked Godrick, got 20000 runes. Then died in a stupid way. Returned to gather my dropped runes, and it was only 14000! Did someone robbed me?

edit. Died again and now it's only 9000. This is an outrage!

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've been playing this for 15 hours and realized I didn't have any achievements yet, not even the one that 65% of the people have. I was like, WTF? Then I remembered I was supposed to go to a castle, or something. So I finally went to the castle, beat the first boss (who wasn't so bad), and got to the hub level which you are supposed to discover right away. This game seems massive.

It's pretty stingy with its weapons, though. I've found one staff and didn't even get the faith casting object until I got to the hub level. I've tried different DEX weapons, but the starting Katana is still my favorite. However, I like that you need to switch weapons to beat some enemies. In past souls games, types of damage (cutting, piercing, or etc) never seemed to matter much. However, the "Trap" crystal cave level with the crystal guys was interesting, as you needed to switch to blunt. Also, I don't think I've found any Flask upgrades either.

Finally, it's possible I'm just overleveled, but this seems like one of the easier Souls-likes. The enemies are as hard as ever, but they barely do any damage on NG. I'm assuming that will change in NG+.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Finally, it's possible I'm just overleveled, but this seems like one of the easier Souls-likes. The enemies are as hard as ever, but they barely do any damage on NG. I'm assuming that will change in NG+.
This is interesting because many enemies in Limgrave alone have literally one shot me, even after pumping vigor. Perhaps they buffed armour this time around so the difference between good and bad armour is bigger? I'm wearing the astrologer robes.

Silva

Arcane
toro I liked Castle Morne. It seems that no assets were really custom made for this location. The designers used what they had to tell a story and it works. Like that square near the elevator where the rebels are celebrating on a pile of smoldering corpses.
In my game it's the beastmen who are celebrating on a pile of smoldering corpses. Perhaps I arrived too late?

Cromwell

Arcane
got to the hub level which you are supposed to discover right away.

you arent supposed to do anything. I got the hub level and havent set foot inside the castle.

Probably how you skilled / levelled. I started as wretched and have 10 vigor I get one shotted by some bosses and even the knights are a danger although not that dangerous. The only thing I think got easier is the resurrecting. What always seemed hard for me in these games was the fact that you got ported back to the last bonfire lost all souls and had to redo the enemies. So when I had a few levels worth of souls with me and had to find the next bonfire it seemed hard, because the next step could lead to death which lead to getting ported back, having to do it all over and potentially loosing souls. That only got better with time when souls werent worth that much because my build was "stable" or I had a easy to get to point where I could farm up in case I needed it.

Here you just die and get your souls back because there is a grace and or statue every five meters. The quicktravel does the rest farmming is easier than ever and no area feels really dangerous (also look at the cries on the net about the mining area because you suddenly cant port away safely)

But tht only goes for the real open world since I dont know how it is in the big story dungeons, wasnt there.

Joyvankek

Learned
It's harder when you play in groups, so level scaling of bosses is broken.
I have less of a problem to defeat a boss, when I am alone than in group.
Also magic is currently OP, the sorcery kind. Not sure how the cleric/faith based one is faring.

Also does anybody have an idea where can I find better staff?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom