Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I'm conflicted.
- Not having Towns or Villages make the world feel artificial.
- What do quest npcs do? How do they traverse this highly hostile world? How does that frail looking girl travel this far with so many hostile undead?
- Quests being obtuse is cool and all but why can't you fucking have a journal, at the very least one I can type myself. Fucking pen and paper.
- Content bloat, the progress I make in 10 hours of Dark Souls is so much more meaningful than the 10 hours here where jack all is done.
- Also I disagree on exploration, it's not that interesting when all I find are monsters to fight and loot. There are no interesting stories to find. Half the time I don't even know why I'm slaughtering the things I find.
- Enemies should not be endlessly re-spawning, could've added a longer delay or had that mechanic from Dark Souls 2 where they disappear after getting slaughtered 10 times. Right now the effort feels pointless..
Seriously wtf are they protecting now after I looted the chest they had? Why are they still there? Why is the cart still parading around?

The good things are Dark Souls so obviously it's good. Elden Ring is a failure in it's transition to open world, Breath of the Wild looks like a masterpiece next to this.

Joyvankek

Learned
Also magic is currently OP

how if only one spell is really useful?
Cause with this one spell I can deal much more dmg, from a safer distance than I would with a sword, making more close combat focused bosses easier.
Also I would say it's 2 spells that are currently decent and both of them you are getting at the start of the game as astrologist.
You have the one that blast thru multiple enemies dealing decent damage, so it helps with crowds, and you have the already mentioned magic arrow or whatever it is called in English, for single targets.

hackncrazy

Savant
The structure of the catacombs in this game reminds me a lot of the chalice dungeons. I wish from software implemented that idea again with some improvements.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Fuck me, I just wasted half an hour of my life hacking at a stupid stone giant
The stone giant you get teleported to. The worst part is that the arena has an invisible wall which prevents him from falling. It looks ridiculous and it's completely popamole shit. Also, the entire design of the arena is fucked up because he will jump on the railing or force you to fight him on the very edge of the cliff and this has the additional "benefit" of messing with his attacks increasing your chance to get hit which, for me, sucked, because having low vigor meant a one shot death. Fortunately however, with a +2 Greatsword, two charged R2s are enough to knock him down and open him up for a critical. Since you can start attacking him before he fully gets up, the entire fight was reduced to knock him down, charged R2 while he's getting up, knock him down again, repeat until dead. What the fuck was the point of this, I don't know. And all I got for that was
A talisman that slowly regenerates HP. And it says slowly, it means it. :5/5:
Yeah, that encounter feels oddly... out of place?
I ended up arriving at it before I had killed any actual bosses and could only chip away at his health while getting hit by a single one of his attacks would be a one shot kill. I looted the chest and teleported out of the arena with the intention of coming back much later since I figured an enemy that strong had to drop something valuable. I guess I was wrong.

hackncrazy

Savant
Also, my first playthrough of every souls games was with a pure melee build and that's what I'm doing here again. In terms of difficulty, it seems at the same level of every other souls game, with some peaks here and there's but once you know what you're doing, becomes very manageable.

Since I'm not that far in the game, I'm really considering resetting and going with a SL1 run or maybe the SL enough for me to play with the uchigatana.

Finally, I decided to play offline for now. Getting five million messages every corner was becoming really distracting and taking away the tension since it was obvious that something was going to be there, be it a item or an ambush

Silentstorm

Learned
Beat Magret, decided to go back, noticed the Dragon-Burnt Ruins, ignored the dragon and killed everyone there, then the rats, opened the chest and got transported to a cavern which i hope should be done later on, i did beat that other cave with the Stonedigger Troll with a pickaxe but i clearly need a better weapon for tougher enemies, and fuck those centipede guys, the chest puts you right near three who have an annoying ranged attack and aren't that bad meleewise and you pratically need to break their stances.

I am just assuming the trap puts you in a dungeon far away from where you should be map wise because it's a From Software game, the miners are at least easy as hell to kill.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does feel like a lot of the complaints about bosses being too hard are because people are underlevelled and undergeared. Godric didn't seem that bad, I killed him on the first attempt (though ran out of flasks and was on very low health on killing blow).

I pretty much abandoned the castle after killing Margit and didn't go back to it till after doing more exploration/boss killing. I was level 40 when I killed Godric.

Silva

Arcane
Watch out bros:

I think the white phantom supoort can be used only once per area. I'm in Castle Morne now butting my head against a boss because I was dumb enough to use my phantoms on an early wave of enemies. Now I can't use it on the boss.

P.S: no fuss though, I found out the boss is weak to fire and I found the armorer's notes that let me produce fire paper (or whatever is the name of the thing that makes your weapon catch fire), so next sit I'll probably kill it.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Has anyone tried upgrading their spirit summons yet? Is it good?
I've been holding off from doing it since I figured they'd still do negligible damage and die in 3-4 hits anyway, but maybe I'm terribly wrong and it's secretly extremely useful.
I've acquired a handful of spirits of specific named individuals, but I lack the required FP to even summon them. I have no idea if they are useful.

Suicidal

Arcane
Have anyone figured out how PvP works in this game. I've been playing for some time and the only invaders that I met were bots. I've read that it's only possible to be invaded if you co-op, but is there a way to enable PvP even if I play alone? I like the occasional random invade to spice things up.

Silva

Arcane
Have anyone figured out how PvP works in this game. I've been playing for some time and the only invaders that I met were bots. I've read that it's only possible to be invaded if you co-op, but is there a way to enable PvP even if I play alone? I like the occasional random invade to spice things up.
PvP is cancer and you should be ashamed of asking for it.

Shrimp

Arbiter
YE9Hds9.jpg

You get it
by defeating the invader on the ground floor in the Roundtable Hold hub area

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Has anyone tried upgrading their spirit summons yet? Is it good?
I've been holding off from doing it since I figured they'd still do negligible damage and die in 3-4 hits anyway, but maybe I'm terribly wrong and it's secretly extremely useful.
I've acquired a handful of spirits of specific named individuals, but I lack the required FP to even summon them. I have no idea if they are useful.

I summoned the dogbros for a boss I was losing badly (25% health, no flasks, boss at half). They kept him distracted long enough to get lots of safe hits in and did a fair amount of chip damage themselves. Anything that makes them more durable as decoys is worth it IMO.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As always, I am not reading the thread.

I feel like there is something off with the item placement, or perhaps I'm just really bad at exploring where I'm supposed to. For both the normal and sombre crafting materials, I have found more of the higher tier materials (3 and 5) than I have of the basic one. Feels like something is off with that.

Galloping around on horseback and finding sites of grace, some churches, fighting some minibosses and minidungeons is all well and good (and I think I did discover one proper dungeon). But I feel like it is super aimless. I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going, or what my goals even are. "Seek the elden ring", yeah, but what does that even mean? What even is an elden ring?

This is not a request for spoilers.

Curratum

I'm conflicted.
- Not having Towns or Villages make the world feel artificial.
- What do quest npcs do? How do they traverse this highly hostile world? How does that frail looking girl travel this far with so many hostile undead?
- Quests being obtuse is cool and all but why can't you fucking have a journal, at the very least one I can type myself. Fucking pen and paper.
- Also I disagree on exploration, it's not that interesting when all I find are monsters to fight and loot. There are no interesting stories to find. Half the time I don't even know why I'm slaughtering the things I find.
- Enemies should not be endlessly re-spawning, could've added a longer delay or had that mechanic from Dark Souls 2 where they disappear after getting slaughtered 10 times. Right now the effort feels pointless..
Seriously wtf are they protecting now after I looted the chest they had? Why are they still there? Why is the cart still parading around?

The good things are Dark Souls so obviously it's good. Elden Ring is a failure in it's transition to open world, Breath of the Wild looks like a masterpiece next to this.

Have you ever played another FromSoft game, or is this your first one?

Cromwell

Arcane
I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going, or what my goals even are. "Seek the elden ring", yeah, but what does that even mean? What even is an elden ring?

the game tells you in the beginning that the graces show you the way. If you did certain story things you could also talk to the npcs again which tell you more (the one directly at the overworld entrance for example told me what to do next after I was in a sttory related area)

Curratum

I am starting to appreciate the ability to place an array of pre-made markers on the map...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom