Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Sekiro doesn't have build variety, but makes up for it with tight design and bringing a new twist on Dark Souls combat formula. Gameplay feels similar, yet enjoyably different to Dark Souls.

Momock

Augur
Parrying in Sekiro has nothing to do with parrying in DS though. It's not punishing to fail since you use the block button but you have to do it many times in a row for it to pay off. And the timing is clear (press when hit is going to land), not like the bullshit in DS. So play Sekiro even if you hate parrying in DS.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All souls game and Bloodborne were advertised as action RPGs, Sekiro as an action-adventure game. With Elden Ring, they went back to the "action RPG" thing.

Lyric Suite, you should still give Sekiro a chance. There's no build variety, but you can still play around with different tools, exploring how they perform in various situations. More importantly, the game is full of that challenging gameplay that (unless I'm mistaken) you enjoy about souls. Right now it's 40% off here (but, yeah, 36€ probably is more than you spent on all other souls combined, if you bought them on sale)

Yeah, 36 euros is a bit much, not the least because i'm saving up for a new CPU since my Ryzen is shit for some games, chief among them Arma 3. I just finished DS3 anyway so i'm in no mood to start another From game for now. Maybe if they put some nice sale for Christmas.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
the game is full of that challenging gameplay that (unless I'm mistaken) you enjoy about souls.

I enjoy the fact it's a "thinking" type of difficulty. I have no prejudice against twitch based games and there's a lot of twitch in Dark Souls as well, but i was taken by surprise by the fact it's not just pure twitch, that there's a whole process of studying, learning and strategizing which makes it different from the typical turbo twitch game that is popular among Japanese audiences, and it made even more sense once i learned the roots of the people who made it (I.E., King's Field).

And of course action or not it is still an RPG which i generally tend to like more just out of personal preference.

Also, no animu shit lel. That was certainly a plus for me.

Black Angel

Arcane
Never played Sekiro but i don't think it was advertised as Soul-like (or an RPG like Dark Souls was), where as Elder Ring is.
Wait, where did they advertised ER as 'Souls-like'? Other than saying they'll put more emphasize on RPG mechanics this time around/once again, I didn't get the impression they're saying it will be 'Souls-like'/like Soulsborne from what I've read so far.

Deflowerer

Arcane
the game is full of that challenging gameplay that (unless I'm mistaken) you enjoy about souls.

I enjoy the fact it's a "thinking" type of difficulty. I have no prejudice against twitch based games and there's a lot of twitch in Dark Souls as well, but i was taken by surprise by the fact it's not just pure twitch, that there's a whole process of studying, learning and strategizing which makes it different from the typical turbo twitch game that is popular among Japanese audiences, and it made even more sense once i learned the roots of the people who made it (I.E., King's Field).

And of course action or not it is still an RPG which i generally tend to like more just out of personal preference.

Play Nioh.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Yeah, its why I didn't like Dark Souls 3 as much. They dropped the thinking and analytical part and made it more twitchy to appeal to the ADHD/Bloodborne crowd.
I mean, there's nothing wrong with twitchy gameplay, I like Metal Gear Rising and Devil May Cry 5, just keep that shit out of Dark Souls. It's not the way.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Elden Ring and Broke Back Mountain.
Both have adventures to a mountain to destroy a ring.

anyway - Amazon site was up, with cover and date - August 15 2020
unknown.png
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMBNTSJ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_zfoEFb3V5WYZ7

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PLACEHOLDER DATE

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I’m not terribly interested in this game at this point.
Well thanks for coming into the thread and informing everyone. Guys, Hassar with 91 posts isn't interested.
Tell us what games you're interested in. We need to know as much about you as possible. This thread is now about you.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I eagerly await From Software's announcement that Elden Ring will be released simultaneously with the next book in George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. :M

Meaning that the game will never be released. :martini:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never played Sekiro but i don't think it was advertised as Soul-like (or an RPG like Dark Souls was), where as Elder Ring is.
Wait, where did they advertised ER as 'Souls-like'? Other than saying they'll put more emphasize on RPG mechanics this time around/once again, I didn't get the impression they're saying it will be 'Souls-like'/like Soulsborne from what I've read so far.

I mean more of an RPG like Dark Souls was and less of a twitch action game like Seiko was. I don't know if it's going to be exactly like Dark Souls and probably won't but the signals they are putting out there is that the game will be closer to that than their latest offering.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I eagerly await From Software's announcement that Elden Ring will be released simultaneously with the next book in George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. :M

The more i think about it, the more i don't get the point of getting Martin for this game and i'm getting some pretty bad misgivings from the whole thing.

Martin is your typical prosaic wester writer. How is that going to work for a From Software game? If the style of the story is similar to their other games, why bother get someone like Martin (aside for some cheap marketing reasons)? And if not, can From actually make a western style RPG, with prosaic dialogue, quest lines etc?

Personally, i'm thinking it's all a marketing scam. That the game will be written like their previous games except now they can boast they have [insert famous writer here] to sell more copies to gullible gaijin. In fact i would be interested to know if it was From Software who actually broached this deal or whether it was their publisher's idea.

And looking at it from Martin's own point of view, why bother taking this project seriously? It's just a video game for him i doubt he'll have any professional incentive to try to churn out some quality writing.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

The more i think about it, the more i don't get the point of getting Martin for this game and i'm getting some pretty bad misgivings from the whole thing.

Martin is your typical prosaic wester writer. How is that going to work for a From Software game? If the style of the story is similar to their other games, why bother get someone like Martin (aside for some cheap marketing reasons)? And if not, can From actually make a western style RPG, with prosaic dialogue, quest lines etc?

Personally, i'm thinking it's all a marketing scam. That the game will be written like their previous games except now they can boast they have [insert famous writer here] to sell more copies to gullible gaijin. In fact i would be interested to know if it was From Software who actually broached this deal or whether it was their publisher's idea.

And looking at it from Martin's own point of view, why bother taking this project seriously? It's just a video game for him i doubt he'll have any professional incentive to try to churn out some quality writing.
I don't think Martin was in any way involved in the actual writing of dialogues and quests, he probably just gave ideas for events and character/location concepts. According to Miyazaki, Martin wrote the "overarching mythos for the game world".

Either this is just a marketing stunt or Miyazaki genuinely is a fan of Martin's work and wanted a chance to work with the guy. From Martin's point of view, this might just be a chance to see some of his ideas turn into something, instead of just rotting in the back of his mind while waiting to be written on paper.

Kitchen Utensil

It's so obviously a marketing stunt that it hurts to read people thinking otherwise.
It's on the same level as Geralt appearing in Monster Hunter or other completely retarded cross-overs and having the devs ensure us how honoured they are to have this great character in their game. Well, maybe it makes a bit more sense than that—like Keanu Reeves in CP2077. It's still a marketing move that won't make the game better (at best), but may very well make it worse.

One of FromSoft's strenghts has always been the lack of an in-your-face narrative. People can play their games ignoring the story for the most part. But at the same time, people who want a story still get something that's richer and deeper than almost all other video games, they just have to put in some effort (which, again, is a plus). There's simply no need whatsoever for GRRM to be involved other than as a marketing gimmick to lure in the GoT-crowd. That might reflect in the game, and if it does, it will make the game worse, not better.

Quite the turn-off right from the very first announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The only hope is that their publisher came up with the idea and that FromSoft will just make the game they were going to make anyway. It's not like the money people are going to give a shit one way or another. FromSoft could literally disregard anything Martin sends them and the higher ups wouldn't know any better. As long as they got the publicity and they can write "GRR Martin" on the box they will be happy. Dumbfuck GoT drones will drool all over the "writing" of the game even if 90% of it is actually written by Miyazaki himself lmao.

God i hate normies so much.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom