Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The Matrix is actually Ghost in the Shell + Lain stripped of all interesting ideas.

Have a nice day.

And GitS is a rip off Blade Runner and Neuromancer
So we've come full circle

Also Lain got released in 98 while Matrix script was already completed in 96 and it's shooting ended 1 month after Lain's debut
So I'll call bullshit on that one

I've never ever seen anything truly mature and serious and realistic from Japanese developers, something on the level of Kingdom Come or RDR2. The closest they could get is stuff like MGS V

And I'll take DMC type stupidity over MGS type any time, because at least DMC doesn't take itself seriously. The opening of MGS V alone made feel like I was contracting brain cancer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The opening of MGS V alone made feel like I was contracting brain cancer.

And then it got progressively worse.

But again, not taking yourself seriously isn't a virtue if you actually CAN'T into serious anymore, if goofiness is all you ever do because 90% of your customers are hikkomori who lack the testosterone and social interactions to grow up. I'd give my left nut for a Jap videogame equivalent of Kurosawa movies. Seven Samurai or Yojimbo are some of the most raw and immersive movies I've seen.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I've never ever seen anything truly mature and serious and realistic from Japanese developers, something on the level of Kingdom Come or RDR2. The closest they could get is stuff like MGS V

And I'll take DMC type stupidity over MGS type any time, because at least DMC doesn't take itself seriously. The opening of MGS V alone made feel like I was contracting brain cancer.

RDR2 ain't even mature, it's just pretensious

RDR2 ain't even mature, it's just pretensious

Didn't say it was. Never played it and I doubt I ever will. I'm guessing it does the same Rockstar thing where protagonist keeps doing a bunch of stupid shit while complaining about how stupid it is on the way to do it. At least in GTA games I can have fun driving around the map at high speeds, performing insane jumps and whatnot. Not gonna have that with horsies.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
RDR2 is a game that loves to waste your time with pseudo-realistic bullshit that completely fucks up the game pacing just because "immersion"
Even worse it shows just how fucking ridiculous and shallow R* game design as become (tl;dr: essentially it's a sandbox that forces you to play it like some linear movie "game")

Silverfish

Arbiter
So we've come full circle

It's okay to rip something off if you do it better.

I'm taking your nut

Q74YlL.gif

Gastrick

Cipher
The Matrix is actually Ghost in the Shell + Lain stripped of all interesting ideas.

Have a nice day.
Matrix and Lain are very different in several ways.
Matrix can be shown with the shots to be a ripoff of "The Dark City", a movie much more similar to Ghost in the Shell.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Matrix can be shown with the shots to be a ripoff of "The Dark City"

It wasn't the ripoff it was just shot literally in the same set immediately after.

I love Dark City so much! Here is a long Russian post with many beautiful concept arts and production shots.

Matrix and Lain are very different in several ways.

Lain is so good and twisted I doubt Western people will ever butcher it as they finally did with GiS

GhostintheShell.jpg

Silva

Arcane
RDR2 is a game that loves to waste your time with pseudo-realistic bullshit that completely fucks up the game pacing just because "immersion"
Even worse it shows just how fucking ridiculous and shallow R* game design as become (tl;dr: essentially it's a sandbox that forces you to play it like some linear movie "game")
Don't tell me. I'm coming from a recent discussion with my brother where I tried to stop him from buying RDR2. He was all hyped by industry reviews praising open world and whatnot while I said "all liers, game is linear as fuck where it matters and story is shit drama of a limp 50 yo whining bout muh ol' times while following horse asses on quests".

He didn't hear me. Now he dropped the game on 2nd episode and says "should have heard you, this shit is a scam". Yeah, right.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Don't tell me. I'm coming from a recent discussion with my brother where I tried to stop him from buying RDR2. He was all hyped by industry reviews praising open world and whatnot while I said "all liers, game is linear as fuck where it matters and story is shit except if you like drama of a limp 50 yo dude whining bout muh ol' times that keep following horse asses on all quests like an idiot".

He didn't hear me. Now he dropped the game on 2nd episode and says "should have heard you, this shit is a scam". Yeah, right.

Right, let him buy Death Stranding instead.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Look, games that aren't out are prone to derailing. Not much to talk about when there's no actual info.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Have a nice day.

Kojimbo's Snatcher is a straight ripoff from Blade Runner so much that it's basically plagiarism, but I have no idea how anyone can think GitS is.

Angel's Egg was inspired by Blade Runner and in turn obviously inspired Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne design (compare Irythill to the fishermen's city).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Idea (to stop derailing thread): CHANGE HIDETAKA MIYAZAKI WITH HAYAO MIYAZAKI while keeping the medium in general.

Will it improve the games? The cartoons? Both? Nothing will change?!

Momock

Augur
Kojimbo's Snatcher is a straight ripoff from Blade Runner so much that it's basically plagiarism, but I have no idea how anyone can think GitS is.
Same here. There are zero themes in common. Or ambiance, or anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom