Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Steezus

Savant
Patron

ww9qcS5.png

Sunri

Liturgist

Ravielsk

Magister
Elden Ring is the 4th best open world according to IGN.
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-10-best-open-world-games
IGN is just marketing firm for the industry that simply pretends to be a a journalistic outlet. This is not a shit list but a ad for the "current" games with maybe one or two picks placed there based on popularity but otherwise its all about selling you the "current game". Expecting any quality from them at this point is just retarded.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Curious how the codex works. People would sperge out over much smaller issues with games that aren't even in their beloved RPG genre, yet a game like this, with tons of fundamental issues on many levels, issues that undermine the experience as a whole, will get a free pass with just a few raised eyebrows here and there.
I see you don't understand the whole subjectivity thing.

Is Izalith and BoC and chain backstabs and twink griefing deep, fundamental issues? Yes of course.

Did they "undermine" your experience with DS1? No, I don't think so.

Why not?

Don't answer, I know - it's subjective.

Silva

Arcane
Open world is fine, and I don't hate it as some do. But at the same time, it's not fleshed out enough as a concept either.

I have come to the opinion that it is fleshed out as well as it possibly could from the perspective of traditional Souls design, which is both good and bad.

The open world in this game is NOT on the same level of inanity as Ubishit games. One of the reasons this game feels so large is that there's a ton of unique shit that you can encounter or discover in this open world map. A lot of the classic Souls design is there.

The open world of this game is only "bad" when compared to the traditional design of past From games. Other than that, it is leap and bounds superior to most of the open world bullshit one finds in AAA mainstream games.

I'm talking of what i've seen so far obviously. People say late game is made out of too much recycled shit. Once i'll get there i'll comment on that but so far the open world map is basically still Souls-like with diluted level design and some vacous padding.
Hmmm, I don't know.

See, from a pure gameplay perspective I agree ER is probably the best open-world we got so far. But it also feels like this fucking huge arena and not really a believable world, and the attempts at doing so only feel tackled: Where are those caravans going to or coming from? Nowhere. Why animals behave like people (you can sneak behind wolfs and eagles WTF? )? Because the point is not making them resemble animals, but different mook types. What's the function of those encampments with guards that stays there forever? None. Where are the homes and villages where all these soldiers sleep? Nowhere. Why day cycles matter so little in these soldiers habits? etc, etc, etc. The result is that ER world doesn't feel like an alive, breathable place at all. And in this respect this is even behind the average Ubishit title. I'm coming from three openworld games playthroughs - Ghost of Tsushima, STALKER Anomaly and Subnautica - and all them present worlds more alive and believable than this, besides having fairly decent gameplay by themselves.

So, I understand this is subjective, but I struggle to see ER as best open-world because I value that aspect personally. I mean, I can ignore main quests in STALKERs and just work like a guy making money out of artifact hunting and factions mercenary work, and the game is fun and plausible and sustains my suspension of disbelief all along. Here? My brain can't unsee the fact this world is just a big, gamey, combat arena.

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Making invasions "opt in" only sours this game so fucking much for me. It was such an integral part of the souls experience to be at risk of being invaded at the most inopportune times, and going offline was conceding your cowardice.

Now it's straight up pussy mode. More than that, it's such a fucking step backwards.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, I miss getting invaded too.

Bloodborne had such a great idea with maps that could be invaded (due to those "bell ladies") and others that couldn't. But FROM never went anywhere with the concept. Even BB itself used it sparingly (I think only the nightmares had this feature?).

Salvo

Arcane
Making invasions "opt in" only sours this game so fucking much for me. It was such an integral part of the souls experience to be at risk of being invaded at the most inopportune times, and going offline was conceding your cowardice.

Now it's straight up pussy mode. More than that, it's such a fucking step backwards.
I think it's fine as a toggle in option, just use the Taunter's tongue
Invasions are ruined by twinks / metafags anyway

polo

Magister
Invasions are fun when ppl dont abuse glitches and op builds. if im rolling a fun build to finish the game not intended to pvp, pvpeing is kind of shit cause i will get destroyed. I refuse to abuse the moonveil or that flame glitch that insta kills you.

Having said that i must say i miss the excitement of being invaded and probably destroyed from time to time.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think it's fine as a toggle in option, just use the Taunter's tongue
Invasions are ruined by twinks / metafags anyway
DS2 solved invasions, it's just the retards who obsess over muh MLG duels who were angry with it, soul memory was the right fit for souls games, prevented invasions from going full retard while not damaging it as a core feature of the game.

I'm coming from three open world games playthroughs - Ghost of Tsushima, STALKER Anomaly and Subnautica - and all them present worlds more alive and believable than this (besides having fairly decent gameplay overall).

So, I understand this is subjective, but for me ER is not the best open-world because it doesn't feel real in the way other games do. I mean, I can ignore main quests in STALKERs and just work like a guy making money out of artifact hunting and factions mercenary work, and the game is fun and sustains my suspension of disbelief all along. Here? My brain can't unsee the fact this world is just a big, gamey, combat arena.

Tangent but one of the things I enjoyed most about vanilla SHOC when I replayed it last year was ignoring the open world and completing the main missions sequentially. Remarkably well paced when approached that way. Good linear escalation of the locations and challenge too. You don't actually need to do side missions to gear up. Felt like a well designed standard FPS with big levels. Testament to SHOC's enduring quality that it merges a semi open world and linear FPS gameplay together successfully.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I'm coming from three open world games playthroughs - Ghost of Tsushima, STALKER Anomaly and Subnautica - and all them present worlds more alive and believable than this (besides having fairly decent gameplay overall).

So, I understand this is subjective, but for me ER is not the best open-world because it doesn't feel real in the way other games do. I mean, I can ignore main quests in STALKERs and just work like a guy making money out of artifact hunting and factions mercenary work, and the game is fun and sustains my suspension of disbelief all along. Here? My brain can't unsee the fact this world is just a big, gamey, combat arena.

Tangent but one of the things I enjoyed most about vanilla SHOC when I replayed it last year was ignoring the open world and completing the main missions sequentially. Remarkably well paced when approached that way. Good linear escalation of the locations and challenge too. You don't actually need to do side missions to gear up. Felt like a well designed standard FPS with big levels. Testament to SHOC's enduring quality that it merges a semi open world and linear FPS gameplay together successfully.
Good point. This kind of optional open world, with an obligatory main quest inside, is exactly what I wish ER was. And it's easy to do, as said before, just put key stuff for the main builds in and around the legacy dungeons (instead of spreading it thin over the whole fucking map). Voilá.

SumDrunkGuy

Ooo I'm off to a good start today. First I killed that huge bird thing guarding a temple in Dragonbarrow and right after that I killed the giant dragon that's kinda over by the erdtree. Good vibes, I sense great success.

Lautreamont

Augur
Anyone else notice a massive difficulty spike in the late game areas? Everything up through the royal capital was fairly challenging but manageable. The progression of difficulty since Limgrave has ramped up at a steady pace but then I get to Mountaintop and beyond and it feels like being level 1 in NG+. Basic enemies have obscene HP, poise, magic resistance, and hit harder than the final boss of Leyndell.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The open-world aspect of ER is absolute garbage. No rationalization can justify how fucking soulless the entire game-world is.

On the other hand the unique locations are actually exceptionally well designed.

The world of ER is like diamonds floating in a sea of shit.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane
Anyone else notice a massive difficulty spike in the late game areas? Everything up through the royal capital was fairly challenging but manageable. The progression of difficulty since Limgrave has ramped up at a steady pace but then I get to Mountaintop and beyond and it feels like being level 1 in NG+. Basic enemies have obscene HP, poise, magic resistance, and hit harder than the final boss of Leyndell.
Exactly my feelings. You are even less there then while starting the game. I like when game is difficult at later stage, but this felt artificial, didn't like it at all.

Olinser

Savant
My main problem with the open world past about the mid-game is just how poorly balanced the risk-reward is. They clearly expect you to be quite high level, but the actual mobs give only a tiny fraction of a level for killing them, and none of them give any actual useful drops, with the POSSIBLE exception of the humanoids who can drop their armor/weapons, but none of them are worth it anyway.

I think the major problem is there's no armor progression in this game. At nearly level 100 with multiple demi-god kills, i'm STILL wearing the Godrick Soldier legs/gauntlets/boots, because without a huge increase in weight, nothing is better.

Like look at this comparison

6a15xg.jpg

One of them drops off pretty much the first enemies in the game on the intended path, which you're supposed to fight at potentially level 1, and the other is a semi-hidden item from the intended 2nd major boss area (Raya Lucaria), where the game clearly expected to be around level 40+.

They have the same weight, and AT BEST, the Knight gauntlets can be considered a side-grade, with lowered damage negation/resistances, in return for small increases in elemental resistances.

This holds true for pretty much everything. There's ZERO armor item scaling at any point - it seems to all follow the exact same formula for weight vs defenses, so the only way to get more mitigation is significantly increased weight.

That's the reason that the late game feels horrible - because there's nothing that can be considered armor 'upgrades', unless you stack Endurance and pick up much heavier armor. And because you obviously can't Strengthen armor, you're just crap out of luck.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
boss bullshit (altho for some people ITT the game is apparently too easy, just shows the fundamental flaw of Miyazaki's one-fixed-difficulty design philosophy)

The game can both be too easy and have some bullshit boss-fights.

I'm sure the duo's can be difficult but they are completely trivialised by some weapon arts.

I don't think the issue is the one difficulty but rather that the game is both very poorly balanced, there is poorly thought out bullshit in some boss-fights and that the scale of the open world to some degree makes it impossible to balance.

I've had no issues with the difficulty in any FS game before this but here I've both been very frustrated and bored (in addition to having fun of course).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
From have been moving away from their RPG roots but are still not daring to fully admit it so you end up with games that have many features none of which are of any real use. Sekiro was From at their most honest state.

In DS1 armor was so powerful you could facetank bosses and just keep spamming r1 and drinking estus until things died.. while being SL1.

This is always my go-to video to show whenever people think lolhardcorerolling was always the soul of souls games. It wasn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom