Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Dhaze

Cipher
I fucking won.

Well, there it is: pugnacity overcomes lazy design.

Be under them. Press your face into their dick. When they rear up for a big hit roll towards them.

A.k.a. Souls 101. Souls 102 being of course "Corners; why we don't trust them."

As far as my fourth playthrough goes, well, it has morphed a bit. From its initial dagger-and-bow idea, it has become a Raptor Talons, Nightrider Flail, and Composite Bow kind of deal. With a lot of throwing various stuff for the sake of trying new things. Overall, I quite like that setup, though I have to say that bows in Elden Ring might possibly be in a worse state than in any previous Souls before, as unlikely as it may seem. Amongst others things, ammo is stupidly expensive (800 runes for a single Radahn's Spear... exsqueeze me, qu'est-ce que vous bites?).

So I play it as an assassin who is broke and lazy. And I encounter a Nightrider in Dragonbarrow; a guy who moves a lot and dodges eight out of my ten arrows. In this economy? Luckily, nearby is a minefield of poison bottles scattered by the local chapter of the Vulgar Militia. And that poison works on the Nightrider!

After some patience, his pall-shrouded horse is already dead and he himself is getting there:

b1EM8GG.png

G51YDyM.png

Yay! Frugal assassination! Many shekels have been spared!

Also, during my last playthrough I had discovered by accident that Crystal Darts can make Golems fight one another. Now since I'm in Caelid, I'm thinking of taking my revenge against a shitty double boss, provided it also works on them.

And it does:

fawxlYc.png

I love making enemies kill each other. It's never not fun.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Am i gonna have to fight all those ghost archers once i solve the puzzle in Ordina?

BTW i also solved the puzzle in the tower on my own, but i probably did that because somebody here spoiled the puzzle with the jelly fish and the solution to that was still in my mind.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I fucking won. With my rapier. Jesus Christ what a fight. I did it so many times. By the end it seemed easy. Summon the jelly. When it draws aggro use glintstone breath. Finish it with bloody slash. Stand by the legs of the second one with your shield up. Bloody slash when you hear a big boom. Move when there is poison and set up using flame cleanse me like an attack. I didn't just beat them, I kicked their asses.

Fighting one is easy. It's almost exactly the same as Radahn, who is the same as a giant bear. Be under them. Press your face into their dick. When they rear up for a big hit roll towards them. Looking up their low resistance was what let me kill the first one fast. Magic. So, glintstone breath.
Do you mean the 2 gargoyles in Nokron? I also had issues with them because 1 fuckin mistake and you are dead. I was level 75 and still did considerable dmg to them but they would 2shot me. The problem i have with these fights is the rng involved. For 80 % of the fight they behave like they are supposed : 1 attacks you with weapon , the other spit venom. You have to aggro the one attacking away from the other so you have 1 little window to dodge and attack him. The problem is when Ai goes crazy (or is it intended? ) and both starts attacking you out of nowhere. Not considering mistakes you can make and you are dead. I have enjoyed the fight but they should fix the attack patterns

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dark Souls won me over because unlike the vast majority of twichy Japanese fighting games, it called for contemplativity, not spazzy button mashing.

:nocountryforshitposters:

> roll roll roll
> R1 R1 R1

wow!
such contemplativeness
much button mashing

Meanwhile in the so called "twichy spazz fests", you actually have to think about what action you're currently executing and consider what action you'll perform next, every second of the figth, otherwise you die

(sighs)

The thinking of Souls games comes chiefly from the stategy behind the pc's build, not the tactics you make during battle - the game's combat system is too simplistic to allow for that kind of depth and versatility

Dhaze

Cipher
The problem is when Ai goes crazy (or is it intended? ) and both starts attacking you out of nowhere.

I've been wondering about that since Ornstein and Smough—hell, even before that actually, with Oolan, Alfred and Metas in Demon's Souls.

Arguably the best double fight in the series is Demon In Pain / Demon From Below in DS3. One of them almost always hangs back, and when that one spits poison it's a trail that ignites a few seconds after, giving you time to react—a very good idea FromSoft reused for Astel in Elden Ring.

So they know how to make a good double fight. And I don't think they so much as tried with the twin gargoyles.

> roll roll roll
> R1 R1 R1

wow!
such contemplativeness
much button mashing

Come on now, be fair. What you say applies to Dark Souls 3, not to Dark Souls overall. In Dark Souls 1, it was two rolls then two R1; not three. In Dark Souls 2, it was two rolls then one R1.

But of course I'm kidding; I fully agree with what you said. Mash buttons in Nioh and you won't live five seconds—if that. In all the games I've played during the past thirty years, I never had to plan and execute so tightly as when facing Sanada & Sarutobi in Dream Of The Nioh with my first spear build.

cruel

Cipher
I'm surprised so many people struggled with twin Gargoyles. I'm running a very simple build: 40 vigor, 40 endurance, 40+ strength, heavy armor, large club. The fight took 3 tries (had no idea about the second one the first time). The second one doesn't spawn on a timer, but exactly when the first one is down to 50% health - so, simple process:

1. Fight the first one with no rush, relaxed and elegant way
2. Look carefully when it approaches 50% of health
3. The moment you see the second one spawning, unleash all you have on the first one ASAP, even if it means trading some blows (preferably having it close to the wall)
4. If done correctly, when the second one comes, the first one needs 2-3 hits to die. Profit.

Or, maybe, just maybe - big weapons and heavy armor are not so weak after all?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I'm surprised so many people struggled with twin Gargoyles. I'm running a very simple build: 40 vigor, 40 endurance, 40+ strength, heavy armor, large club. The fight took 3 tries (had no idea about the second one the first time). The second one doesn't spawn on a timer, but exactly when the first one is down to 50% health - so, simple process:

3. The moment you see the second one spawning, unleash all you have on the first one ASAP, even if it means trading some blows (preferably having it close to the wall)
4. If done correctly, when the second one comes, the first one needs 2-3 hits to die. Profit.

I think the difference is i have very low vigor. 31 rn and 30 when i fought them, sincer i wanted to have both str and fai high, and couldnt trade hits at all.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Nearing the end-game of my 3rd playthrough now. Just claimed the Frenzied Flame. Looking forward to the Melina battle -- need to put that uppity little thot in her place.

Intended to go for a DEX-build, but ended up with a STR-build again. DEX is just too queer.

Using the Warped Axe as my main weapon (sometimes dual ones), and the Brick Hammer as my backup against enemies weak to strike damage (like the crystal freaks!). But I'm going to test the Great Stars mace now, looks promising.

I've imagined the merchants to be gypsies in this playthrough, and killed them all. It's very handy, because I can collect all their bell bearings and thus have all their merchandise available at the Roundtable.

Time to yet again clear one of the most annoying areas: Deeproot Depths. :argh:

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I understand now why no one uses twinblades in pvp: they are shit.super fun in pve but they have short range, long windup animations, and people can just roll through after the first hit unlike mobs that get stunlocked.
i got much more luck with flaming greatmace, despite i like the animation of the twinblade moveset much more

Dhaze

Cipher
– Mom, can we buy a Playstation with Bloodborne?
– We have the bloodborne at home.

ZoAOMsF.png

/e: also I think FromSoft missed a big opportunity. They should have made it so that, during the fight against the mimic tear, summoning Spirit Ashes makes the summons potentially attack you, because they don't know who is the real you.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane

I'm not a fan of big weapons myself. I think greatswords offer a better balance of responsiveness and raw damage. But that's personal preference. Heavy armour is indeed very strong. We both went into that fight with the same health bar, but with heavy armour you likely had 30 - 45% or even more physical DR. Because of softcaps you actually get more from just wearing heavy armour than even going to 60 vigor. Taking half damage while still being medium? Yes please.

My other character uses full plate and runs his flame art greatsword on pure faith. He looks like a badass in Radahn's chest armor, a greathelm and banished knight gauntlets and greaves. I also run the charm that adds physical DR on him. Much, much stronger than what I'm doing with this guy and handled the gargoyles with far less trouble. My current character only wears Patches' robe. He doesn't even wear trousers under it because he's running the blue dancer charm and trousers reduce his damage. I think he gets 5% physical DR. His poise is 2. Immunity etc? Forget it. It's overall a fun setup but sometimes it's very challenging to play. You get a better dodge roll and more damage output from light weapons and that is very useful, but that's all you get.

From a purely practical perspective medium builds are far stronger for the average player. I don't really have the skill level to get the most out of being light. It's definitely something for experts who don't get hit much.

If I'd tried "trading blows" with the first gargoyle as you did I'd have been knocked flat and killed standing back up. Poise 2. This build can't trade blows with anyone.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
My current character only wears Patches' robe. He doesn't even wear trousers under it because he's running the blue dancer charm and trousers reduce his damage. I think he gets 5% physical DR. His poise is 2. Immunity etc? Forget it. It's overall a fun setup but sometimes it's very challenging to play. You get a better dodge roll and more damage output from light weapons and that is very useful, but that's all you get.

Tell me about it... Fashions dictates my current character gets no more than 8 poise. I sneezed—me, in real life—and my character was staggered.

I wish wearing lighter equipment made your attacks faster. Less startup frames; identical active frames; less recovery frames. Also, when very light, change the roll to Bloodborne's quickstep.

In other news: the way bows are handled really is something else.

I don't have framedata to back that claim up, but from playing with the Composite Bow, it feels like loosing an arrow while jumping then loosing a second arrow as you land takes about the same amount of time than simply loosing a single arrow while staying in place, unmoving. It's completely nonsensical. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Go make an anime, FromSoft—it's obvious you want to do it! You've already got the tsundere snow-witch, and the helicopter bosses, and the bleeding katanas made with supeliol japanese steelu; now you've just got to add a chorus of young women who go "Ehhhhhhhhhh?!" in the background every time something is revealed during a conversation, like in japanese talk shows.

Also, whether enemies will dodge my arrows or not is a total crapshoot. Sometimes enemies dart left and right then left again, and for the life of me I can't land a single arrow because the A.I. has decided it'll dodge every projectile for the next few seconds. Yet, at times, bosses—human ones especially—do that cringey sort of 'roleplay slow walk' towards me and at that point I can loose arrow after arrow with the Barrage skill, and the boss will eat all the damage straight in the face.

As a side note, the Mad Pumpkin Head spirit ash is a beast of a tank, and he can stagger bosses with surprising ease. As for the Vulgar Militia spirit ash, either they get squished by big area-of-effect or sweeping attacks, or they stagger the enemy almost continuously on top of bleeding it like a sacrificial lamb.

My other character uses full plate and runs his flame art greatsword on pure faith. He looks like a badass in Radahn's chest armor, a greathelm and banished knight gauntlets and greaves. I also run the charm that adds physical DR on him. Much, much stronger than what I'm doing with this guy and handled the gargoyles with far less trouble.

I'm tempted to make a character with the heaviest armor and all the damage-reducing gear or consumables possible, then give him the Great Mace and Iron Ball as weapons. I shall call him Bonk, eldest son of Andnjord.

But I've just bought Outward: Definitive Edition, so I'll probably play Elden Ring a bit less until some DLC comes out.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
My current character only wears Patches' robe. He doesn't even wear trousers under it because he's running the blue dancer charm and trousers reduce his damage. I think he gets 5% physical DR. His poise is 2. Immunity etc? Forget it. It's overall a fun setup but sometimes it's very challenging to play. You get a better dodge roll and more damage output from light weapons and that is very useful, but that's all you get.

Tell me about it... Fashions dictates my current character gets no more than 8 poise. I sneezed—me, in real life—and my character was staggered.

I wish wearing lighter equipment made your attacks faster. Less startup frames; identical active frames; less recovery frames. Also, when very light, change the roll to Bloodborne's quickstep.

I think the lower endurance requirement of playing light does balance it somewhat. Heavy armour isn't just a fashion choice, it costs attribute points and/or charm slots to wear. If attack speed were dependent on endurance, relative to encumbrance level, it would offer benefits to the light playstyle while still requiring the player invest attribute points to achieve their build. A character wearing full plate takes a bit over half the damage of one in a loin cloth. If the loin cloth dude attacked 30% faster, but needed to spend the same amount on endurance then being light would be a more attractive proposition for those of moderate skill level.

I'm not sure I will play the whole game light. I'll stick with it for now but after the capital I suspect it may become unviable for someone of my abilities. I do tend to play RPGs more after all, this kind of thing isn't really my forte. I actually prefer turn-based combat. Make Elden Ring have a turn-based toggle like Pathfinder Kingmaker!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
/e: also I think FromSoft missed a big opportunity. They should have made it so that, during the fight against the mimic tear, summoning Spirit Ashes makes the summons potentially attack you, because they don't know who is the real you.
This would be a wonderful idea for players who summon the Mimic Tear during the Stray Mimic Tear boss fight. :shredder:

Dhaze

Cipher
– No, Mimic Tear, don't attack me! Attack the other me!
*Mimic Tear attacks itself*
– No! The other other me!
*Stray Mimic Tear summons its own Mimic Tear*
– Ok, so this is gonna be complicated.

Anyway, I played a bit more with my first character who is still in the beginning of NG+ (kinda wish I had stayed in NG to collect what items I missed). And it turns out that Kenneth Haight can get bonked to death by the demi-humans, and he doesn't do anything to protect himself, nor does he attempt to run away:

V0SbTMb.png

Muh immershun, 10/10 npc design.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Another whiny post by me...
So after a couple of minutes into Elden Ring, I just want to say that I like absolutely nothing about the gameplay. There is some awful input lag (It's probably an issue not related to the game), I tried to do what you have told me. Watch out for the postures, so did I. I'm already fed up with doing the same attacks, waiting for the same exact timing to parry. It doesn't feel right. Furthermore the jump is completely absurd, nobody jumps like that and the first boss already pisses me off. I already want to come back to Bloodborne instead.
Also Why does the game consume so much RAM and processor? The world is approximately empty of living or entity...

It is related to the game. Not your fault.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Apparently the Magma Wyrm seems to have a grudge with the octopus guys. They didn't even bother him he just went straight up to them all by himself lmao.

Caim

Arcane
Apparently the Magma Wyrm seems to have a grudge with the octopus guys. They didn't even bother him he just went straight up to them all by himself lmao.
Speaking of those octopus things, I discovered that they are extremely vulnerable to bleed. One shot into the beak from a bleed arrow from a character that is in no way built for dealing bleed damage immediately triggers the effect and deals major damage. And these aren't the low level ones, these can be found as early as dungeon right before the snowfields.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Speaking of those octopus things, I discovered that they are extremely vulnerable to bleed. One shot into the beak from a bleed arrow from a character that is in no way built for dealing bleed damage immediately triggers the effect and deals major damage. And these aren't the low level ones, these can be found as early as dungeon right before the snowfields.

Their real weakness is jump attacks. Their stance can get broken extremely easily, and you can do it over and over.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho, and i know there's some night bosses as i've seen messages but i'll worry about that later. Propably that fucking bird again.

Yep, and it's the toughest version of that fucking birdie this time, without a nearby spawn point. And there's also that fucking horse guy again -- but two at a time.

:popcorn:

I ain't dying to no bird bro:

Horse guys could be split so it was just the same boss except you do it twice.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Ho, and i know there's some night bosses as i've seen messages but i'll worry about that later. Propably that fucking bird again.

Yep, and it's the toughest version of that fucking birdie this time, without a nearby spawn point. And there's also that fucking horse guy again -- but two at a time.

:popcorn:

I ain't dying to no bird bro:

Horse guys could be split so it was just the same boss except you do it twice.

Nicely done. The AoE attacks that cause black flame all over the ground kept staggering & killing me, but you managed to avoid them.

The Night Cavalry became almost trivial once I learned to melee them. Some well-timed jump attacks, and down they go.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, with this faggot gone i can go finish the puzzle in Ordina and move to the next area:

Funny bit he suddenly gets hyperarmor after a critical hit and doesn't fall down lmao. The fuck is that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just out of curiosity, how many legacy dungeons i have left?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom