Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I tried an invasion with the character I made for the LP. It went pretty well! This is a 6 minute standalone video, not included in the LP. I respecced into my invasion setup to test it out. I like it a lot. The fashion and the playstyle fit me perfectly.

But the guy didn't fight at all.

He was running to resummon his friend/hoping a hunter would show up. The host will pretty much always do that if you kill the phantom first.

It was the right move, he's not built for the front lines. His friend was the meatshield, If he'd fought me with his build I would have easily killed him. Not sure why they both decided to ignore me and focus on the PVE at the start though. That was idiotic and I wasn't about to give them a pass for it.

I've put 35 hours into that build so far and I'm probably the least prepared invader they'll ever face because I don't dupe my consumables, weapons or talismans and I've only done like 20 invasions at RL 32 + 5. I pop taunter's tongue sometimes and invaders are bad mother fuckers. They've got their builds honed perfectly, they have perfumes, throwables, pulley crossbows with sleep bolts, raw meat dumplings and poison boluses, starlight shards... It's like fighting Batman or something.

When you see the gank squads full of Moonveilers and overlevelled phantoms they deal with you understand why. What I'm saying is the invader is always the bigger threat in this situation, not some skeletons. Just run from the PVE if you can't kill it FFS. Focus on the real threat and don't separate or you've done half their job for them already.

So yeah, those guys sucked but at least they're legitimate co-oppers. They phantom wasn't level 250 or something. And my damage output was good, which was the only question I had about my setup. At RL60 + 12 I can kill people with my weapon. So I'm happy.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Playing a sorc is like this:

"Oh fuck a gargoyle. I wish I had a greathammer right now."
"Oh fuck an abductor virgin. I wish I had lightning damage right now."
"Oh great more giant hands. I wish my weapon dealt fire damage. Time to put on a talisman and change my physick tear again so I can use fire scaling. I swear I'm spending more time imitating a STR build than actually playing my build."
" Oh fuck the boss deals massive fire/lightning/holy or magic damgage. I wish I had a fortification buff to negate 40% of that damage"
"Oh fuck the enemy is resistant to magic. Well that negates all my best abilities and most of my weapon damage."
"Oh shit I'm poisoned/rotted again. Time to eat a bolus. I'd better do some farming later or I'll run out or preserving boluses. Man the crafting is tedious, why can't I just buy these?"
"Oh fuck a Royal Revenant. I guess I'll just d... yep I'm dead."
"Man I'm so bored going bing bong all day long. I want to actually fight something. I paid good money for this game."
I mean, with 12 faith many of those complaints are removed. Royal Revenants are easy for an int build if you don't suck (yes, even the ones in the Haligtree). Gargoyles are melted by Glintstone Spiral. You can easily pick up some fire sorceries, but even without them the hands aren't that bad. Magic resistant = rock sling or meteor, etc. etc. For the most part all enemy types and bosses have some sorcery that counters them, though some can be a bit annoying to get. The only thing you don't really have an effective counter for is large groups of fast aggressive enemies, like e.g. the final fight in the Millicent quest line. If you want to fight things you can just use the glintblade + carian sorceries/moonblade which are quite effective.
I've run 12 faith on my INT builds. I've run at least 12 faith on every build I've ever made. The thing is, I got so much more value from that 12 faith than my actual main stat I questioned why I was using sorcery at all.

The other issue I found with this was that running a mixed build like that led to confusion under pressure. Using the wrong casting tool. That's a skill issue sure, but it's been a persistent problem. And sorecery is supposed to be easier, if one believes the wisdom of the crowd. After a time I always get frustrated and go pick up Golden Order Seal. Then I instantly like that character more. All the utility, equal or better combat power and less confusing to play because there's only one casting tool. Plus I can still cast "spells" that do massive magic damage using the best "staff" in the game, Death's Poker.

Sorcery is viable for sure, but weapon arts are stronger and cheaper to cast. The "easy mode" meme is nonsense. Barring the one shot cheese with the kamehameha it isn't easier, and every build has cheese readily available. It's that kind of game. It's viable, but when you're used to FTH/physical hybrids playing a Sorc feels like a challenge run.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Axe of Godfrey is actually pretty badass. I use that, with shard of Alexander, roar medallion, ace medallion, and highland axe. Regal roar actually allows for some brutal combos.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sorcery is viable for sure, but weapon arts are stronger and cheaper to cast. The "easy mode" meme is nonsense. Barring the one shot cheese with the kamehameha it isn't easier, and every build has cheese readily available. It's that kind of game. It's viable, but when you're used to FTH/physical hybrids playing a Sorc feels like a challenge run.
Yeah, it's certainly not easy mode. It's more like it wildly fluctuates between easy mode and insane difficulty mode. FWIW when running an INT build I only really used the 12 faith for the lake of rot, and otherwise ran a pretty much pure sorc, and never really found anything much more frustrating than I did on a FTH/STR build. Some parts were markedly easier (Everything Caelid, Haligtree) while some bosses that are fairly easy w/unga bunga are almost impossible (Alecto). Most were about the same, just challenging in slightly different ways.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Yeah, it's certainly not easy mode. It's more like it wildly fluctuates between easy mode and insane difficulty mode. FWIW when running an INT build I only really used the 12 faith for the lake of rot, and otherwise ran a pretty much pure sorc, and never really found anything much more frustrating than I did on a FTH/STR build. Some parts were markedly easier (Everything Caelid, Haligtree) while some bosses that are fairly easy w/unga bunga are almost impossible (Alecto). Most were about the same, just challenging in slightly different ways.

Alecto is certainly fairly easy with STR/FTH. Here she is with my 60 + 12. I cued it up to the start of the "fight".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He was running to resummon his friend/hoping a hunter would show up. The host will pretty much always do that if you kill the phantom first.

It was the right move, he's not built for the front lines. His friend was the meatshield, If he'd fought me with his build I would have easily killed him. Not sure why they both decided to ignore me and focus on the PVE at the start though. That was idiotic and I wasn't about to give them a pass for it.

I've put 35 hours into that build so far and I'm probably the least prepared invader they'll ever face because I don't dupe my consumables, weapons or talismans and I've only done like 20 invasions at RL 32 + 5. I pop taunter's tongue sometimes and invaders are bad mother fuckers. They've got their builds honed perfectly, they have perfumes, throwables, pulley crossbows with sleep bolts, raw meat dumplings and poison boluses, starlight shards... It's like fighting Batman or something.

When you see the gank squads full of Moonveilers and overlevelled phantoms they deal with you understand why. What I'm saying is the invader is always the bigger threat in this situation, not some skeletons. Just run from the PVE if you can't kill it FFS. Focus on the real threat and don't separate or you've done half their job for them already.

So yeah, those guys sucked but at least they're legitimate co-oppers. They phantom wasn't level 250 or something. And my damage output was good, which was the only question I had about my setup. At RL60 + 12 I can kill people with my weapon. So I'm happy.
oh my, this multiplayer thing is a whole scientific discipline :)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alecto is certainly fairly easy with STR/FTH.
I actually meant the opposite, that those things are easier/harder on an INT build compared to STR/FAI so yes I agree with you. I had a much easier time on Alecto on literally any build other than a pure sorc where I mostly just won by luck.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Here's some actual PVP players who fought back. So proof of concept on the build. Never mind the three invasions I lost before this one. 3v1 is just too much for me still.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Alecto is certainly fairly easy with STR/FTH.
I actually meant the opposite, that those things are easier/harder on an INT build compared to STR/FAI so yes I agree with you. I had a much easier time on Alecto on literally any build other than a pure sorc where I mostly just won by luck.
I understood you. I shared the video with you because we were talking about Alecto just as I happened to fight her and I thought the fight was funny. It looks like utter cheese but I'm just hitting her with my sword. I'm just pressing R1 and I feel like I'm cheating.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
One build is finished and another is begun. Here I am testing my new madness build I made today. He's going to be a 150 invader, but I started out hosting because I couldn't be fucked doing all the difficult prep yet and just wanted to play the build now. I planned on using TT but I forgot. Oh well, the sunbro died fast anyway.

Yes, I know I'm shit with this build. I've never used a spear before. Completely different from my usual playstyle of a colossal sword. Thankfully I think it was that invader's first day or something.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/elden-ring-director-successful/

Elden Ring Director Has No Idea Why the Game Was so Successful; Will Continue Making Games as He Always Did​

Francesco De Meo Dec 5, 2022 10:31 AM EST
Copy Shortlink

Elden Ring

Elden Ring director and Souls series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki has no idea why From Software's latest game has been so successful, but such fantastic reception will not influence how he creates games.

As reported by IGN, speaking during a Q&A session after receiving the Grand Award at the PlayStation Partner Awards 2022 Japan Asia a few days ago, Hidetaka Miyazaki revealed he has no idea why the studio's latest game has been so successful compared to previous games. As such, he probably wouldn't be able to replicate what made Elden Ring the success it is. Even if he could, he feels it would be a bad idea.

"Honestly, I haven't analyzed it much. It’s true that sales were higher than those of our previous games, but I have no idea what the reason was. So even if I wanted to reproduce that success, I wouldn’t be able to."

"I try not to think about it too much, because I think it would be a bad idea to analyze it deeply and to consciously try to replicate it in another game"

Even if he has no idea why Elden Ring is so successful, Hidetaka Miyazaki is happy about how the game has been doing since its release earlier this year. Even so, he tries to avoid reading players' feedback as much as possible, as it would influence his future decisions as a developer.

"I can’t possibly listen to every single comment from our players, and if I only take on selected pieces of feedback, it might affect my future decisions as a developer, which I find rather unsettling. I know that I personally could not be fully objective, so I try to avoid being directly exposed to too many opinions."

Elden Ring is now available on PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and Xbox One worldwide. Learn more about the game by checking out my review.

I tried hard to find any faults in Elden Ring, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find any outside of some technical issues that the developers could fix via patches. I firmly believe that perfection doesn't exist and that it is always possible to improve, but I really couldn't think of anything that Elden Ring could have done better. As such, the game wholly deserves a perfect score, an honor I would have given only to a couple of other modern games, not only for its extremely high quality but also for what it accomplished with its open world and for how it will surely influence video games as a whole in the future.

A true independent artist. Trusts his talents, not some shitty marketing analysis. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
He's the kind of guy who would beat an opponent in a fighting game, then tell him "I don't even play this game"

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Honestly, I haven't analyzed it much. It’s true that sales were higher than those of our previous games, but I have no idea what the reason was. So even if I wanted to reproduce that success, I wouldn’t be able to."

"I try not to think about it too much, because I think it would be a bad idea to analyze it deeply and to consciously try to replicate it in another game"

I don't think it's an impenetrable conundrum that shifting Demon's/Dark Souls gameplay to an Open World environment, with about three times as much content as typical for the earlier games, was rewarded with higher sales from the audience. :M

I'm sure it also helped that six years had passed between the release of Dark Souls III and Elden Ring, with Ninja Souls Sekiro being the only similar game released by FromSoftware in between, and even that was more of a departure from the Demon's/Dark Souls formula than Bloodborne had been.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
"I can’t possibly listen to every single comment from our players, and if I only take on selected pieces of feedback, it might affect my future decisions as a developer, which I find rather unsettling. I know that I personally could not be fully objective, so I try to avoid being directly exposed to too many opinions."

I respect this so much. I really dislike the culture in gaming of fans feeling they have a right to give feedback and have the creators act on it. They make demands even. But they aren't the artist. You can't tell someone what to put in their game, movie or show. You're just the audience. This isn't a pizza you're ordering. This is art.

Listening to fans is considered a quality of a good developer but it isn't. Most fans are stupid winging assholes and even if they aren't too many cooks spoil the broth.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I respect this so much. I really dislike the culture in gaming of fans feeling they have a right to give feedback and have the creators act on it. They make demands even. But they aren't the artist. You can't tell someone what to put in their game, movie or show. You're just the audience. This isn't a pizza you're ordering. This is art.

Listening to fans is considered a quality of a good developer but it isn't. Most fans are stupid winging assholes and even if they aren't too many cooks spoil the broth.

I respect it if the developer in question is smarter and has stronger vision than the gaming public (as Miyazaki undoubtedly is/has).

Developers who aren't smart and have narrow vision are usually better off listening to fans.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Most fans are stupid winging assholes and even if they aren't too many cooks spoil the broth.
I just discovered one of the dumbest and most hilarious fanbase with the release of Darktide.
Game has some issues, some crashes happen etc but is objectively a true achievement in terms of atmosphere and sound design, serving the 40k setting very well.
It's sitting at 65% on steam because it doesn't include the dopamin dispensers yet. You know, the shit you put in your game to artificially extend its duration. "Crafting", weekly missions, achievements... Absolutely none of which is necessary to play and enjoy the game at any difficulty atm.
They're actively review bombing what's maybe the best L4D clone to date because it's not filled with awful metagaming gimmicks :lol:

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Elden Ring Director Has No Idea Why the Game Was so Successful; Will Continue Making Games as He Always Did​

Copy Shortlink

Elden Ring

Elden Ring director and Souls series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki has no idea why From Software's latest game has been so successful, but such fantastic reception will not influence how he creates games.

As reported by IGN, speaking during a Q&A session after receiving the Grand Award at the PlayStation Partner Awards 2022 Japan Asia a few days ago, Hidetaka Miyazaki revealed he has no idea why the studio's latest game has been so successful compared to previous games. As such, he probably wouldn't be able to replicate what made Elden Ring the success it is. Even if he could, he feels it would be a bad idea.

Even if he has no idea why Elden Ring is so successful, Hidetaka Miyazaki is happy about how the game has been doing since its release earlier this year. Even so, he tries to avoid reading players' feedback as much as possible, as it would influence his future decisions as a developer.

Elden Ring is now available on PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and Xbox One worldwide. Learn more about the game by checking out my review.

I tried hard to find any faults in Elden Ring, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find any outside of some technical issues that the developers could fix via patches. I firmly believe that perfection doesn't exist and that it is always possible to improve, but I really couldn't think of anything that Elden Ring could have done better. As such, the game wholly deserves a perfect score, an honor I would have given only to a couple of other modern games, not only for its extremely high quality but also for what it accomplished with its open world and for how it will surely influence video games as a whole in the future.

A true independent artist. Trusts his talents, not some shitty marketing analysis. :salute:
He turned Dark Souls into Skyrim you dumb bitch it's not rocket science. The publishers giving him money had to approve of all this shit every step on the way and so when Hideseeka Mypaki or whatever said he wanted to combine two money printing machines into one big fuckhuge blockbuster infinite money glitch they put those dollar bills into his thong and gave the green light. How retarded do you have to be not to understand that video games are a business first and that matters is if these guys make bank or not.

When this loser switches publishers in the future and it gets out that it was like when Hideous Koyimbo was forced to put gameplay into his movies by Konami ya'll gonna feel dumb as fuck. If it got leaked tomorrow that the whole open world spin was pure Bandai Namco you'd be like wait no, this dude is a genius forced by the evil publisher to put in this dogshit feature in the game when you were just in the middle of praising him for the same fuckin thing seconds ago.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Many people in this thread have stated that they don't like the open world aspect of the game. Besides, Miyazaki is pure in heart, you can see it in his eyes, and you don't like it for reasons I won't type here.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Noob question but I don't want to go into the huge guides: I'm lvl 32 abd ny Attribute distribution is Vigor 24 ... Endurance 15, Strength 18, Dex 19 ... I haven't touched the other stats.

I'm using Bloodhound's Fang (twohanded), upgraded to +2. I know I can upgrade it further if I skip to the right merchant, but I don't want to do it.

My question is, have I put enough in Vigor for now or should I keep putting points there?

Noob question but I don't want to go into the huge guides: I'm lvl 32 abd ny Attribute distribution is Vigor 24 ... Endurance 15, Strength 18, Dex 19 ... I haven't touched the other stats.

I'm using Bloodhound's Fang (twohanded), upgraded to +2. I know I can upgrade it further if I skip to the right merchant, but I don't want to do it.

My question is, have I put enough in Vigor for now or should I keep putting points there?
Vig to 40 1st at the very least. Put the other runes into the weapon (and ashes if you use them).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Copy Shortlink

Elden Ring

Perfect storm of good reputation + well received history of games and vocal fanbase + marketing hype + people buying more games and shit due to COVID restrictions.

Pretty sure length and similar don't play into this because the huge sales were realized right at launch and sales to fans (due to length of time since last release) don't grow your sales base, just preserves it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom