Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Sentinel

Arcane
FS: hey, we're going to make another game just like Dark Souls
FS: hey, here's that game we talked about
people who are allegedly real: what the fuck, it looks just like another Dark Souls!
Where did they say the gameplay was going to be like dark souls? IIRC the only mention of dark souls elements was multiplayer. They never said anything about the actual gameplay and mechanics.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Wonder if there will be an in-game map this time. Hopefully not. If they can get away with an open world game while not having some shitty compass/map, that would be great.

fork

The level design in Dark Souls was solid, but there was nothing amazing about it.

lel, where are my fucking buttons to rate this cretin retadred?

Wonder if there will be an in-game map this time. Hopefully not. If they can get away with an open world game while not having some shitty compass/map, that would be great.

fabulously optimistic, like so many posts in this thread.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
people who are allegedly real: what the fuck, it looks just like another Dark Souls!
Where did they say the gameplay was going to be like dark souls? IIRC the only mention of dark souls elements was multiplayer. They never said anything about the actual gameplay and mechanics.
They literally said that after DS3 they were working on a couple (3 or 4, can't remember) of different projects, one distant in its gameplay from the souls series (Sekiro) and one which was basically a souls with an important twist (I'd say more involved open world, but that's just speculation).

Sentinel

Arcane

Isn't that some BS? At the very least DS2 was touted to run on a brand new engine. Also it's really hard to believe DeS runs on the same engine as DS3/BB/Sekiro. Seems this guy is talking out of his ass.

Why is that hard to believe? Those games control the exact same in terms of responsiveness and tons of animations are reused. The engine powering them is the PhyreEngine btw. They also all share the exact same framerate and framepacing issues.

E6y2sC1.png

Sentinel

Arcane
They literally said that after DS3 they were working on a couple (3 or 4, can't remember) of different projects, one distant in its gameplay from the souls series (Sekiro) and one which was basically a souls with an important twist (I'd say more involved open world, but that's just speculation).
Citation needed.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Citation needed.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/from...ects-1-arpg-ala-ds-1-reboot-1-new-ip.1232077/

5 year ago they said they were working on 3 new games, with one being "a little different from their past direction" (Sekiro) and another being "a dark fantasy action RPG similar to Dark Souls" (Elden Ring).

Sentinel

Arcane
Citation needed.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/from...ects-1-arpg-ala-ds-1-reboot-1-new-ip.1232077/

5 year ago they said they were working on 3 new games, with one being "a little different from their past direction" (Sekiro) and another being "a dark fantasy action RPG similar to Dark Souls" (Elden Ring).
There is absolutely nothing in there about a game similar to dark souls. The closest is this:
4Gamer:
 しかし,DARK SOULSに今回で区切りがつくとなると,今後フロム・ソフトウェアさんからどういったタイトルが出てくるのかが気になります。宮崎さんは,アクションRPG自体は今後も作っていくんですか?
(But now that Dark Souls has come to an end, I'm wondering what kind of titles FromSoftware will come up with in the future. Mr. Miyazaki, are you going to continue making action RPGs in the future?)

宮崎氏:
 ジャンルとしてのアクションRPG,あるいは世界観としてのダークファンタジーは,DARK SOULSでなくてもあり得ると思いますし,何らかのアプローチは続けていくと思います。私自身,どちらもとても好きですからね。
(I think that action RPGs as a genre and dark fantasy as a worldview are possible even if they're not Dark Souls, and I think we'll continue to take some kind of approach. I myself like both of them very much.)

4Gamer:
 それは安心しました。これからも高難度のアクションRPGは遊びたいですし。
(I'm relieved to hear that. I want to continue to play action RPGs with high difficulty.)

宮崎氏:
 ありがとうございます。時々誤解されてしまうのですが,我々が従来のようなゲーム作りを止めるということはありませんよ。ただそれが,DARK SOULSシリーズでは無くなるだけです。
 今後の方向性は,大きく3つですかね。1つは,今お話しした,アクションRPGなりダークファンタジーなりを,DARK SOULSとは違う切り口で表現しようとするもの。
 もう1つは,我々が過去手がけてきたタイトルのリブートや,そこを手掛かりとした新しいゲーム。
 最後の1つは,そうした我々の過去の方向性とは少し毛色が違ったもの。おそらくはちょっと変なもの,ですね。
(Thank you very much. It's sometimes misunderstood, but we're not going to stop making games the way we used to. That's just not going to be the case with the Dark Souls series.
 There are three main directions that we will take in the future, one being the action RPG or dark fantasy that I just mentioned, but from a different perspective than that of Dark Souls.
 The second one is a reboot of a title we've worked on in the past, or a new game that uses that as a starting point.
 The last one is something a little different from the direction we have taken in the past. Perhaps something a little weird.)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
There is absolutely nothing in there about a game similar to dark souls. The closest is this:
Don't know what to tell you, all the articles after that interview kept saying that what he meant with that line was that one of those projects was a game similar to Dark Souls and now we got a game similar to Dark Souls.

Maybe they inferred it from the fact that for the third project he said that "they were doing something different from what the company had been doing previously" and that would implicitly mean that the other project wasn't something different. It seems a bit of a stretch, but the fact remains that it was true.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I hate DaS3 esthetics but the trailer was thicc therefore I'm hyped for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom