Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

But why buy crossgen Elden Ring at launch when a year later FromSoft will tell you to move on and buy the identical yet incompatible nextgen-only version if you want any chance of finding other players (something they have pulled not once but twice).

Fromsoft is creatively bankrupt. This is dark souls 4 and here we all thought this game would be something special with goerge RR martin being involved. It even has similar art assets from dark souls 3 those enemies in a chapel.
Never expected GRRM's involvement to be more than a marketing stunt. The aspie crap that passes for lore/story in these games never mattered.

What I did expect -given bloodborne and sekiro- was a bigger departure from the des/dks/ds2/ds3 formula than the cheap DS3 with horsie reskin impression the trailer gives. Out of all these fromsoft games I already skipped DS3 and regret not skipping DS2 (the SOTFS stunt eroded any good will I had towards the studio).
I understand a mostly cinematic trailer isn't the best way to judge how this game's open world exploration changes the experience, but it's the first impression we get and all I have to go on at the moment.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
I'm just pissed how effort it is. You got your shrine maiden girl. You got your angry mad king dude. Reused assets from yesteryear dark souls 3.

Its like where is the 2021 new game?

Sentinel

Arcane
Rewatching the trailer I'm actually even more baffled by the number of reused animations. Riposte, dodge, longsword 1 handed R2, crawl, the "getting on horse" animation (reused from sekiro grappling), longsword block, the cutscene where dust is thrown at the player's eyes - they reuse the exact animations from DS3 nameless king, the magic big sword spell at 5:15 is reused, the attack from 5:24 is a weapon art in Dark Souls 3, item usage animation reused, bastard sword 2 handed animations reused, hit stagger animation from ds3 reused, jump animation from sekiro reused, shield up animations reused. Wtf have they been doing for >4 years

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
January 2022? Guess this will be coming out before Winds of Winter then... :-(

At least that's when I'm normally on leave with school holidays. Will have to fight with the kids for control of the PS5 though...

Trailer only seems to feature the Elric-wannabe protagonist with the wispy white hair. Wonder if it's a set protagonist ala Sekiro or if you have free reign to create your own character ala DS/BB.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
i'm with mediocrepoet on this one

on one hand, more Souls made by From, yeah!

on the other, this looks waaay too familiar. particularly the graphics and animations. with all the time spent on this, at least a new/improved engine that makes it look as different vs DS3/BB/Sekiro as those 3 look vs DS1. 'cause this looks like a DS3 mod with horses. and that whole, you're undead tarnished and blablabla retreading a bit too much of what they've already done.

i'm mildly excited. nowhere near what i though i would be. maybe it's all the delays...

Wunderbar

Arcane
Yeah, this pretty much confirms this. Fromsoft blew their creative load on Demon's Souls, everything after that was just a retread with slight mechanical improvements. Same looking enemies, same looking environments, same looking armor, this time with horses and a retarded Witcher 3 open world.

Still day 1 purchase obviously, even a bad Fromsoft game is still miles better than any other AAA game out there.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's been obvious for awhile now that they've stumbled (unsurprising, open worlds are difficult and are basically the bane of FromSoftware's 'handcrafted', carefully intended approach to developing environments and assets).

If Elden Ring is successful and becomes a series, maybe the next game will have more revolutionary elements.

Delterius

Arcane
It's been obvious for awhile now that they've stumbled (unsurprising, open worlds are difficult and are basically the bane of FromSoftware's 'handcrafted', carefully intended approach to developing environments and assets).

If Elden Ring is successful and becomes a series, maybe the next game will have more revolutionary elements.
from a post real perspective this game might succeed if they hire todd howard

Wunderbar

Arcane
Here's hoping Fromsoft will go Zelda route and the overworld with horses will be separated from the actual tightly-designed dungeons.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I am neither impressed nor disappointed. It is Dark Souls 4 and my intuition appropriated my expectations a long time ago. I liked the previous entries, I'll probably like this.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, this pretty much confirms this. Fromsoft blew their creative load on Demon's Souls, everything after that was just a retread with slight mechanical improvements. Same looking enemies, same looking environments, same looking armor, this time with horses and a retarded Witcher 3 open world.

Eh BB felt different enough and Sekiro didn't feel like DS at all.

I agree this is chock full of DS3 vibes but I'm reserving my bitching for January.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fromsoft blew their creative load on Demon's Souls, everything after that was just a retread with slight mechanical improvements. Same looking enemies, same looking environments, same looking armor,
Bloodborne disagrees. Sekiro was also different, but I think it mostly copied from traditional japanese stories and art so it probably doesn't qualify as creative?

And it would be damn nice if elden ring was to norse mythology what bb was to lovecraft, but it doesn't look like it's happening. At the same time it's been 5 years since DS3, and I am ready for more of the same at this point. Even if I am slightly disappointed pretty much all the spells shown in the trailer are copypastes from previous entries...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think a big part of my meh-ness is I recently went back and 100%'d DS3 and played a bunch of different builds and then started messing around with the Convergence mod and Bloodborne again, so I've saturated on most of this imagery and gameplay for a bit. I'll have to stop doing that before the end of the year so I can have a look at the Elden Ring stuff with an open mind.

Suicidal

Arcane
I just hope they make the combat a little more involved than just spamming roll until enemy stops attacking then spamming light attack. Something like Sekiro at the very least would be nice.

Still day 1 purchase obviously, even a bad Fromsoft game is still miles better than any other AAA game out there.
What is Bloodborne

Caim

Arcane
Look, I'm as hyped as anyone for Dark Souls 4, Demon's Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro 2 or whatever this is, but I will NOT D1P on principle. Stay strong, brothers.

Deflowerer

Arcane
FS: hey, we're going to make another game just like Dark Souls
FS: hey, here's that game we talked about
people who are allegedly real: what the fuck, it looks just like another Dark Souls!
Where did they say the gameplay was going to be like dark souls? IIRC the only mention of dark souls elements was multiplayer. They never said anything about the actual gameplay and mechanics.
They literally said that after DS3 they were working on a couple (3 or 4, can't remember) of different projects, one distant in its gameplay from the souls series (Sekiro) and one which was basically a souls with an important twist (I'd say more involved open world, but that's just speculation).
Citation needed.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/from...ects-1-arpg-ala-ds-1-reboot-1-new-ip.1232077/

5 year ago they said they were working on 3 new games, with one being "a little different from their past direction" (Sekiro) and another being "a dark fantasy action RPG similar to Dark Souls" (Elden Ring).
There is absolutely nothing in there about a game similar to dark souls. The closest is this:
4Gamer:
 しかし,DARK SOULSに今回で区切りがつくとなると,今後フロム・ソフトウェアさんからどういったタイトルが出てくるのかが気になります。宮崎さんは,アクションRPG自体は今後も作っていくんですか?
(But now that Dark Souls has come to an end, I'm wondering what kind of titles FromSoftware will come up with in the future. Mr. Miyazaki, are you going to continue making action RPGs in the future?)

宮崎氏:
 ジャンルとしてのアクションRPG,あるいは世界観としてのダークファンタジーは,DARK SOULSでなくてもあり得ると思いますし,何らかのアプローチは続けていくと思います。私自身,どちらもとても好きですからね。
(I think that action RPGs as a genre and dark fantasy as a worldview are possible even if they're not Dark Souls, and I think we'll continue to take some kind of approach. I myself like both of them very much.)

4Gamer:
 それは安心しました。これからも高難度のアクションRPGは遊びたいですし。
(I'm relieved to hear that. I want to continue to play action RPGs with high difficulty.)

宮崎氏:
 ありがとうございます。時々誤解されてしまうのですが,我々が従来のようなゲーム作りを止めるということはありませんよ。ただそれが,DARK SOULSシリーズでは無くなるだけです。
 今後の方向性は,大きく3つですかね。1つは,今お話しした,アクションRPGなりダークファンタジーなりを,DARK SOULSとは違う切り口で表現しようとするもの。
 もう1つは,我々が過去手がけてきたタイトルのリブートや,そこを手掛かりとした新しいゲーム。
 最後の1つは,そうした我々の過去の方向性とは少し毛色が違ったもの。おそらくはちょっと変なもの,ですね。
(Thank you very much. It's sometimes misunderstood, but we're not going to stop making games the way we used to. That's just not going to be the case with the Dark Souls series.
 There are three main directions that we will take in the future, one being the action RPG or dark fantasy that I just mentioned, but from a different perspective than that of Dark Souls.
 The second one is a reboot of a title we've worked on in the past, or a new game that uses that as a starting point.
 The last one is something a little different from the direction we have taken in the past. Perhaps something a little weird.)

Dark fantasy RPG - Elden Ring
Something different - Deracine
Reboot of a title - Sekiro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom