Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
This is why Maliketh is searching and eating deathroot, because he thinks he will make the rune he has hidden whole again in this way and stop the spread.
Isn't that a different beastman? I don't think he disappears when you kill Maliketh and vice versa. Not that that means a lot in Elden ring..

Ranni's ending is mistranslated. It says the complete opposite of what it's supposed to. I don't remember the details now but the Japanese subs are nothing like the voice over.

Demon of Song would have been a great Elden Ring boss. Having to jump over waves as he body slammed and speeding him up makes him so much better. It's a shame From refuse to make interesting bosses any more.

Barbarian

Arcane
This is why Maliketh is searching and eating deathroot, because he thinks he will make the rune he has hidden whole again in this way and stop the spread.
Isn't that a different beastman? I don't think he disappears when you kill Maliketh and vice versa. Not that that means a lot in Elden ring..

It is heavily implied that they are both the same. Beast clergyman even has different dialogue if you completed Gurranq's quest.

Farum Azula exists "outside of time and space" and is also implied to be the reason why he doesn't disappear and the two figures you interact with seem to exist independently.

9ted6

Educated
If you're not allergic to loloretubers, I found this to be a pretty good explanation on the fingers:

It's a pretty on-the-nose reference to a real religious schism.

The problem with lolorevideos about Soulsborne games is that they can't convince me that much of it was actually intended and isn't just Youtubers drawing conclusions and extrapolating while the actual writers barely know or care about what's going on. If FNAF has proven anything it's that allowing your fans to write lore for you is very profitable and From's obscurant style of worldbuilding makes it even easier.

Between the fingers being an allegory for Eastern Orthodox church politics in the middle ages or them being weird and From liking pointless weird shit I'm going with the latter. I'd sooner believe GRRM wrote it specifically to allow finger but hole jokes than it having any deeper meaning.

Same thing with the hourlong lore videos about how Radaghan or whoever riding a tiny horse is a deeply tragic metaphor instead of the simpler idea of it looking weird and funny so GRRM specified he's a giant who rides a tiny horse.

Silva

Arcane
I also like how "magic" and "sorcery" in this game is basically "colour out of space but with crystals".

The most ancient sorcerers you meet have basically become strange antropomorphic creatures made out of space rock from studying said crystals, inhuman and uncapable of speech.

er-master-lusat-concept.jpg

Some of them have been merged into weird globes, "graven masses":

school_of_graven_mages_enemies_elden_ring_wiki_600px.jpg

The shitty Nicky Cage movie adaptation even used similar colors to the sorceries we use in the game:

colour-out-of-space.png

Color_Out_of_Space-821869955-large.jpg

Meanwhile..

images

Caim

Arcane
I also like how "magic" and "sorcery" in this game is basically "colour out of space but with crystals".

The most ancient sorcerers you meet have basically become strange antropomorphic creatures made out of space rock from studying said crystals, inhuman and uncapable of speech.

er-master-lusat-concept.jpg

Some of them have been merged into weird globes, "graven masses":

school_of_graven_mages_enemies_elden_ring_wiki_600px.jpg

The shitty Nicky Cage movie adaptation even used similar colors to the sorceries we use in the game:

colour-out-of-space.png

Color_Out_of_Space-821869955-large.jpg

Meanwhile..

images
>the Greater Will's mightiest servants are white women
>it gives them dogs

What did the Greater Will mean by this?

Silva

Arcane
Who are the angels described in the Winged Scythe and what's the reasoning behind it dropping feathers in it's art? I thought there was no such thing as Angels in the Lands Between?

What came first, the Crucible people, the Nox people or the Dragons? All these seem (almost) extinct civilizations.

What's the difference between Destined and provoked Death ?

During Ranni quest, her followers seem to remotely, spiritually project while their bodies are alive (sleeping?) somewhere else. This suggest the Lands Between is indeed an afterlife of sorts. Right?

Barbarian

Arcane
What came first, the Crucible people, the Nox people or the Dragons? All these seem (almost) extinct civilizations.

Crucible came first - "primordial thingamajig from which all life came from" or something like this.

Dragonlords and Nox later. I'm not sure if anyone organized an actual reliable timeline. There are many other past events and factions presented in the game - The fire giant wars against ice dragons, the "lord of rot" being banished and others. Also the godskin and "gloam-eyed queen" before Marika, whoever she is.

Silva

Arcane
Damn forgot the Giants.

All this bloat only complicates things. DS was simple with it's age of dragons followed by age of fire. ER has age of crucible, age of dragons, age of giants, age of Nox, age of gloom-eye bitch, age of eardtree, age of shattering. WTF

But I found one thing I REALLY like in the setting: absence of Tolkienesque races like Elves, Dwarves, etc. Finally a fantasy setting without that crap.

:yeah:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Isn't all this complicated even more knowing that the shattering war happened 5000 years before the events of the game? Like the world was in the state we find it in when we start the game for 5k years before us...

Elttharion

Learned
Good old Georgie is also an absolute retard when it comes to numbers so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Barbarian

Arcane
I like that there is no romance in this. The two "waifus" chosen by reddit barely touch the platonic. One is an incorporeal ghost and the other a 4 armed wooden doll. The closest to "sexual" that happens in the game is Fia hugging you.

Myazaki is a visionnaire against the zeitgeist I say. A stalwart against degeneracy and decay.

No diversity or faggotry either. Everyone is white and straight.

Elttharion

Learned
I like that there is no romance in this. The two "waifus" chosen by reddit barely touch the platonic. One is an incorporeal ghost and the other a 4 armed wooden doll. The closest to "sexual" that happens in the game is Fia hugging you.

Myazaki is a visionnaire against the zeitgeist I say. A stalwart against degeneracy and decay.

Nepheli Loux is black

Nepheli_Loux_Elden_Ring.png

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Better not buy any shrimp boy. You might be in for a shock when you find out Elden Ring has the first nigger in a From game.. (Not counting Patches' voice actor who's a half breed nog).

Ranni marrying you is romance. And I think she can still marry you even if you're a chick so there's your dyke option.

Nathir

Liturgist

Ranni's ending is mistranslated. It says the complete opposite of what it's supposed to. I don't remember the details now but the Japanese subs are nothing like the voice over.

Demon of Song would have been a great Elden Ring boss. Having to jump over waves as he body slammed and speeding him up makes him so much better. It's a shame From refuse to make interesting bosses any more.

No they are definitely one and the same.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

You're correct. I didn't know clergyman had unique dialog. I never did another stupid fetch quest in a game so large and empty.

It would be interesting to see what modders can do with Elden Ring to fix the open world. A mod like Seeker of the fire would work really well if they had a way to cut out some map segments, dungeons and the legacy stuff. Trim all the filler and see what happens.

Barbarian

Arcane

Nepheli Loux is black

Nepheli_Loux_Elden_Ring.png

That's a Conan the Cimmerian tan bro, she ain't black.

Silva

Arcane

You're correct. I didn't know clergyman had unique dialog. I never did another stupid fetch quest in a game so large and empty.

It would be interesting to see what modders can do with Elden Ring to fix the open world. A mod like Seeker of the fire would work really well if they had a way to cut out some map segments, dungeons and the legacy stuff. Trim all the filler and see what happens.
Maybe the huge open world explains the random/bloated shit? I've found this Winged Scythe that talks about angels, something I didn't even know existed in this setting. Then I found this Blood Thorn spell saying something about a "blood star". I mean wut, another star? I thought everything blood came from Mohg outer god/ Formless Mother, and now this? It all feels so random, like they were empty of ideas but had to keep filling the world.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
Isn't all this complicated even more knowing that the shattering war happened 5000 years before the events of the game? Like the world was in the state we find it in when we start the game for 5k years before us...

How does this complicate anything? For 5k or so years the world was in a cosntant state of war between demigods and their followers, whith everyone endlessly respawning and being unable to die. It's honestly the only way to make the setting have any kind of sense. All the buildings that are left are basically castles/military bases/capital cities and everything else is in ruins. With most people slowly being driven mad because they can't die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom