Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Barbarian

Arcane
On the subject of having a pc that fits the setting, I think they did a fine job in that regard and none of the origins feels alien to the setting(except maybe the samurai). The art style is also very consistent throughout.

That said faith and magic based casters have a lot of sidequests and specific content. I'm actually sure you can make Sellen's quest without being able to cast a single spell for instance, but why would you anyway. Also why larp a sorcerer's apprentice if you are a pure swordswinger or whatever.

Barbarian

Arcane
You can easily come up what is going on from just playing game.
You can also easily miss out on 80% of the NPC dialogue because they're all waiting around for you in random places you've already cleared out. My first playthrough I got the frenzied flame ending, had no idea why Melina was suddenly being a bitch to me (never got her warning because I didn't need to rest at the grace, missed Ranni's plotline for the same reason) and hadn't even gotten any of the questline that was supposed to lead there because I never found grape lady after that spot in Stormveil. Selena was in two places at once for no apparent reason, with no way to talk to her about it. Etc.

You might stumble into a path that reveals some nice lore (I got most of what was going on with volcano manor and the albinaurics, at least) but, especially on release before they added NPC markers, it was way too easy to miss out on massive chunks of lore. It's possible to dig for the lore yourself, but you need to autistically search the entire world a dozen times and read all the item descriptions and talk to everyone you know after talking to anyone at all or killing any boss. Earlier games required the same, but they had less of everything to check and recheck, so it was more forgivable.

I actually agree. That is why I bought the strategy guide.

I played blind and missed a ton of content. I mean it was a whole lot of fun exploring and finding out things, and I suppose the first playthrough can be made blind for the fun of it, but this is a game that should be at least replayed with a guide.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
On the subject of having a pc that fits the setting, I think they did a fine job in that regard and none of the origins feels alien to the setting(except maybe the samurai). The art style is also very consistent throughout.
This is kind of a problem in the design. The Tarnished are supposed to be these people driven from the lands between and forced to live away from it returning to conquer it... And they all fit perfectly fine with the place they were banished from.

Barbarian

Arcane
This is kind of a problem in the design. The Tarnished are supposed to be these people driven from the lands between and forced to live away from it returning to conquer it... And they all fit perfectly fine with the place they were banished from.

Well to be perfectly honest I was frequently confused figuring out the Astrologer's background.

For instance the origin description says they are the sucessors of glintstone sorcerers(allegedly this is a mistranslation of the japanese text)

Later objects you find mention they are actually predecessors of raya lucaria - and that Rennala herself was an astrologer before founding it.

The tarnished are supposed to be Godfrey's veteran soldiers, so some of the backgrounds(the non-military ones) are ambiguous in that regard.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I can't figure out what is the point of Those-Who-Live-In-Death. Is it just a needlessly long and elaborate term/origin story for this world's undead? Or is it a particular form of undead that's different from other types (which ones)? Does Fia's ending legalize necrophilia? Why does Rogier decide to go along with this... whatever it is?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I can't figure out what is the point of Those-Who-Live-In-Death. Is it just a needlessly long and elaborate term/origin story for this world's undead? Or is it a particular form of undead that's different from other types (which ones)? Does Fia's ending legalize necrophilia? Why does Rogier decide to go along with this... whatever it is?
Yeah, this is a perfect example of shit I didn't get in my playthrough. All I got out of it was that the order hates them. Don't even know why; it's not like they're any worse than any of the other cults that attack everything on sight. Isn't everyone undead anyways, just like in all the other souls games? They're sure respawning as if they are.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I think they did a fine job in that regard and none of the origins feels alien to the setting(except maybe the samurai)
Well... Malenia wields a katana as her signature weapon, so it seems like Midgard Middle-earth the Lands Between have their fair share of weaboos.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Isn't everyone undead anyways, just like in all the other souls games? They're sure respawning as if they are.
Well akshually......they're kinda not according to people who paid more attention than me. The reason they're respawning has to do with Godwyn fucking up everything when he died adn the death rune being held hostage or something. Them being undead doesn't work either as if you look closely at some of the animations (for example the soldiers) you can see that when they detect you they just get up/look at you/take out their sword. If you back away they go back to their previous state. They're not mindless. You can see this with plenty other creatures who don't attack immediately upon seeing you. Plus they are still able to talk and operate machinery (the giant crossbows/flamethrowers in Stormveil and other parts).

Damned Registrations

They're not mindless.
Undead don't necessarily have to be mindless. Not that it makes much of a difference given how soldiers fighting the demihumans attack you for no reason at all anyways, aside from the commander, for some reason? From what I recall (and I didn't get this from the game itself) the death rune was a chunk of the elden ring that got broken off, so now instead of dying everyone just carries on, and there was supposed to be some sort of cycle with the Erdtree absorbing souls for reincarnation or something? Honestly it doesn't make much sense, just like all the other souls games; there's no children anywhere, people don't seem to age, but old people still exist somehow, and people that are supposedly sentient, intelligent beings are just patrolling around killing everyone on sight for no apparent reason. Except merchants. Like 80% of people that aren't violent are merchants. It's all very gameplay oriented. Which I don't mind, but it does clash with the whole 'deep lore' thing.

Meshugger

Novice
I have this theory that Elden Ring, and previous From Software titles, caters to intentionally or unintentionally to people who find pattern seeking interesting; meaning intuitive people. For example they see ruin in the game and wonder immediately how it became a ruin and why, and since there are only a few visual clues or descriptions here and there they let their imagination run wild to fill in the gaps and nothing is more rewarding than when they actually manage to foresee or predict the next action or result is of this ruin in the game.

Sensory type of people on the other hand like the club that goes bonk and how to maximize the amount of bonk and the game definitely rewards them through exploration of finding the biggest bonkers.

The amalgamation of these two types is the winning concept, I think.

Perkel

Arcane
They're not mindless.
Undead don't necessarily have to be mindless. Not that it makes much of a difference given how soldiers fighting the demihumans attack you for no reason at all anyways, aside from the commander, for some reason? From what I recall (and I didn't get this from the game itself) the death rune was a chunk of the elden ring that got broken off, so now instead of dying everyone just carries on, and there was supposed to be some sort of cycle with the Erdtree absorbing souls for reincarnation or something? Honestly it doesn't make much sense, just like all the other souls games; there's no children anywhere, people don't seem to age, but old people still exist somehow, and people that are supposedly sentient, intelligent beings are just patrolling around killing everyone on sight for no apparent reason. Except merchants. Like 80% of people that aren't violent are merchants. It's all very gameplay oriented. Which I don't mind, but it does clash with the whole 'deep lore' thing.

In Elden Ring you are "tarnished" which makes you target for everyone else other than two fingers group. That tarnished status is also something that is easily seen by everyone.

Secondly it is wrong to assume elden ring is populated by normal humans. The fantastic element is pretty strong in this game and works more like greek myths where dude can fuck goat and goat will bore half goat half man or something.

Silva

Arcane
Barbarian , do the Guide explains if the Lands Between is a Valhalla of sorts, like another plane/dimension? Or is it some lost continent like Atlantis or Mu instead ? (I know the lore say Godfrey led his people in the past by boats but that doesn't preclude some kind of portal in the sea)

On backgrounds, the Prisoner is kinda weird as his description says he was a noble who knew some glintstone magic. This suggests he actually lived in the Lands Between as a tarnished already before dying (maybe explains the prisoner mask?). Well, except if glintstone magic is also known outside the Lands Between? It's possible, seeing as the Two Fingers faith also exists outside.

But yeah, the Samurai is terrible and makes my eyes bleed. It shouldn't be a starting class and just a possible path/gear choice for the Warrior instead. If they really wanted to have it, they should've called it Servant of Reeds or some shit and give him some weirdass not-samurai armor like Yura's and Okina's.

Yeah, this is a perfect example of shit I didn't get in my playthrough. All I got out of it was that the order hates them. Don't even know why; it's not like they're any worse than any of the other cults that attack everything on sight. Isn't everyone undead anyways, just like in all the other souls games? They're sure respawning as if they are.
Those-Who-Live-in-Death feel reminiscent of GoT's White Walkers to me, can't explain why. Probably because, different from ye ol undead, they seem to retain some sort of consciousness or will. INB4 someone in DLC says (in BB's Djura voice): "Those are people, not monsters".

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

In Elden Ring you are "tarnished" which makes you target for everyone else other than two fingers group. That tarnished status is also something that is easily seen by everyone.
But that doesn't explain all the random NPCs that don't give a shit and just give you quests instead. What's difference between the commander of castle Morne and his knights that try to murder you? If we're presumed to be part of the two fingers cult and everyone hates them, why are all the finger reader crones able to just safely chill in random places waiting for us to come by? Why do places not even associated with a rune bearer that we're a threat to, like the town of Sellia, hate us? For that matter, why is that place filled with patrolling murderous sorcerors? At least with the academy I could assume they kill intruders on sight and were minding their own business until I showed up.

It's funny, but arguably the most lore friendly areas of the game are all the shitty tombs and caves everyone hates- at least it makes sense why everything there wants you dead, since they're just mindless guardians or monsters.

Secondly it is wrong to assume elden ring is populated by normal humans. The fantastic element is pretty strong in this game and works more like greek myths where dude can fuck goat and goat will bore half goat half man or something.
My new head canon is that all the women and children and other non-combatants were transformed into the goats and turtles and such that we wantonly murder as we ride around. Thanks for this insight.

Barbarian

Arcane
Barbarian , do the Guide explains if the Lands Between is a Valhalla of sorts, like another plane/dimension? Or is it some lost continent like Atlantis or Mu instead ? (I know the lore say Godfrey led his people in the past by boats but that doesn't preclude some kind of portal in the sea)

Kind of. The whole setting is a clusterfuck of strange magical dimensions and portals. Like how the "underground" areas have a night sky with stars and moon while the surface does not. What you use to descend is obviously a magical contraption even though it functions like a mechanical elevator.

In fact the moon itself is implied to be an "outer god" of sorts in Ranni's quest and ending(also in Rennala's lore).

Silva

Arcane

Kind of. The whole setting is a clusterfuck of strange magical dimensions and portals. Like how the "underground" areas have a night sky with stars and moon while the surface does not. What you use to descend is obviously a magical contraption even though it functions like a mechanical elevator.

In fact the moon itself is implied to be an "outer god" of sorts in Ranni's quest and ending(also in Rennala's lore).
LMAO not even with a fucking guide in our hands we have a concrete answer.

This setting is a discombobulated piece of shit.

Silva

Arcane
First one yes, 2 and 3 no.

DS2 is pretty legit. The fragments of Manus worming their way throughout the world, Drangleic and the giant war, references to other regions, it's good stuff. I agree that DS3 is a mess, but by "the first three Souls games", I meant Demons, Dark 1 and Dark 2.
I agree DS2 lore is well put together, specially the parts around Vendrick and Aldia.

That said, I dislike how it treats the dark soul bearers like hollywood villains, without the nuance shown in DS1 / 3. Nashandra is so out of place it hurts. Compared to Gwyn, Manus, Artorias, Gael, etc. she seems out of some children's sunday morning cartoon.

Barbarian

Arcane

LMAO not even with a fucking guide in our hands we have a concrete answer.

This setting is a discombobulated piece of shit.
I don't think it is any more incongruous than Planescape or Faerun/Underdark.

It is a magical setting filled with deities and unlimited powers. Shit like a hollow earth and interdimensional travel are no big deal in this kind of setting.

Barbarian

Arcane
I mean it is fantasy bullshit written by a jap game designer and the fat wanker who wrote song of ice and fire.

It is good for what it is. Literally.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
My second playthrough of Elder Nig: already did most of the stuff in Limgrave in but a couple of days. Trying to play as a holy warrior (shield+longsword+incantations) this time around, not expecting to keep playing until the very end, but will play until it stops being fun.

Barbarian

Arcane
One thing I don't like about this game is how armor sets are mostly "dress up as that npc you met or fought". Used the astrologer set my entire last playthrough and will probably do so again.

Other than that itemization is great. Not just weapons but many spells with even niche strategies and builds associated.

One thing I don't like about this game is how armor sets are mostly "dress up as that npc you met or fought". Used the astrologer set my entire last playthrough and will probably do so again.

Other than that itemization is great. Not just weapons but many spells with even niche strategies and builds associated.
Fashion Souls has been a thing since Demons', but there's this charm about never changing your gear.

Barbarian

Arcane
Even the armor descriptions all go something like "armor used by john the sorcerer. He lived a sad life".

Literally "wear this armor to larp that one character".

Even the armor descriptions all go something like "armor used by john the sorcerer. He lived a sad life".

Literally "wear this armor to larp that one character".
Artorias cosplaying is an entire school of thought by now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom