Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Why is DaS1 so well-regarded anyway?
Because it's so open. From firelink shrine you can fight, before even seeing the tauros demon;

Pinwheel
Asylum Demon (The second one)
Quelag
Moonlight Butterfly
Sif
Gargoyles
Capra Demon
Both Hydras

and by extension meet all the NPCs and gather all the loot in those respective areas. You're actually free to explore, instead of everything being gated off by arbitrary bullshit.

None of the other games in the series come close to that until ER. There it gets squirrely as to what you even count as a proper boss fight, but at the very least you can access basically everything before the capital right away, which is impressive. Honestly I wish the game didn't have those stupid barriers forcing you to kill Morgott.

REhorror

Educated
Why is DaS1 so well-regarded anyway?
Because it's so open. From firelink shrine you can fight, before even seeing the tauros demon;

Pinwheel
Asylum Demon (The second one)
Quelag
Moonlight Butterfly
Sif
Gargoyles
Capra Demon
Both Hydras

and by extension meet all the NPCs and gather all the loot in those respective areas. You're actually free to explore, instead of everything being gated off by arbitrary bullshit.

None of the other games in the series come close to that until ER. There it gets squirrely as to what you even count as a proper boss fight, but at the very least you can access basically everything before the capital right away, which is impressive. Honestly I wish the game didn't have those stupid barriers forcing you to kill Morgott.
I honestly don't see how that's a plus, really.

I would prefer much more linear but quality content than the ability to go anywhere for shit and giggles.

Set pieces matter more than fucking around, which is why games like AC with specific mission designs are much more memorable at the end of the days.

REhorror

Educated
DaS3 plays so much better than DaS1, it's not even funny.

I fucking hate the combat of DS3 and I think DS combat is fine. And it's not about DS3 being fast, it's about it being rollspam garbage that doesn't provide much in the way of other options.
I don't remember, what's the other option in DaS1 again, defending with a shield and pumping health?

DaS3 allows parry and dodge, that's all you need for an action game.

I don't remember, what's the other option in DaS1 again, defending with a shield and pumping health?

Armors are not worthless garbage in it, and poise builds are legit. Plus even if you go light route you don't need to roll around anywhere near as much as enemies don't have these spastic behaviours. And this is just combat, which isn't even the main appeal of the series to me, I like the levels in DS1 and 2 much better as well. If the reason you play DSIII is the fast action combat then you're just making a shit choice because it's not even good in that regard and there are games that do it way better.

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated

Armors are not worthless garbage in it, and poise builds are legit. Plus even if you go light route you don't need roll around anywhere near as much as enemies don't have these spastic behaviours. And this is just combat, which isn't even the main appeal of the series to me, I like the levels in DS1 and 2 much better as well. If the reason you play DSIII is the fast action combat then you're just making a shit choice because it's not even good in that regard and there are games that do it way better.
I play Dark Souls games for the combat really, level design does nothing for me, not a Metroivania guy.
And Dark Souls 3 has much better combat, weapon AND enemies.

If they suddenly make Dark Souls to be 100% action with no stat and super linear level design, I would still buy it. Oh wait, they did it with Sekiro but that's one of From's bestest game ever.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Credit where it's due, DS2 has the best levels in the series. Well, aside from the sewer, which is basically one long obnoxious slog, and the Shrine of Amana, which was the worst swamp in the series. But there was a lot of variety elsewhere, with stuff like towers of Heide feeling totally different from a place like the Wharf, Iron Keep or Huntsman's Copse. It's a shame it's combat is absolute ass, poking away at infinite poise enemies forever was not fun, and they put that shit everywhere. Every fucking fight in the game is bait attack, backstep, stab, repeat. DS3 at least tried to do something interesting with weapon arts, and ER actually got it right, along with making enemy poise actually matter for once.

REhorror

Educated
I play Dark Souls games for the combat really, level design does nothing for me, not a Metroivania guy.
You're playing the wrong games then, you should be playing Nioh or Monster Hunter or some Platinum stuff.
I can't get into MH, and I haven't tried Nioh but obviously I do enjoy Platinum stuff.

From Software is known for action games (Armored Core, Otogi) too, not RPG, so this fascination over "level design" and muh poise is....fascinating I guess.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Is this supposed to be a controversial opinion?
Usually set-pieces take a break from regular gameplay or put a twist on it, right? So I'd say prefering this over steady good gameplay is weird, yes.
Bayonetta is a great example where they go way overboard with the set-pieces as far as I'm concerned. The combat is extremely fun and the enemies are cool but every 5 minutes (or so it feels) you are forced into some kind of gimmick shit. It's my personal favourite action game, with 1/4 of the set-pieces it would have been in my top 10 games ever or some shit. Just let me play the game.

REhorror

Educated
Is this supposed to be a controversial opinion?
Usually set-pieces take a break from regular gameplay or put a twist on it, right? So I'd say prefering this over steady good gameplay is weird, yes.
Bayonetta is a great example where they go way overboard with the set-pieces as far as I'm concerned. The combat is extremely fun and the enemies are cool but every 5 minutes (or so it feels) you are forced into some kind of gimmick shit. It's my personal favourite action game, with 1/4 of the set-pieces it would have been in my top 10 games ever or some shit. Just let me play the game.
Set pieces mean that every encounter is scripted to happen in a certain way/having certain gimmick, so that every of them can be different and thus more memorable.
I much prefer this over "steady good gameplay" which translates to boringness.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Shrine of Amana
Great level unironically
Aesthetically beautiful and an excellent tactical challenge
Shame they nerfed the homing capabilities of the wizards in vanilla because of players constant whining...
One more reason to play SotFS over vanilla I guess
It's a shame it's combat is absolute ass
It's the best in the triology

this fascination over "level design"
It's literally the best quality of these games
Combat as always been decent but nothing special

REhorror

Educated
Shrine of Amana
Great level unironically
Aesthetically beautiful and an excellent tactical challenge
Shame they nerfed the homing capabilities of the wizards in vanilla because of players constant whining...
One more reason to play SotFS over vanilla I guess

this fascination over "level design"
It's literally the best quality of these games
Combat as always been decent but nothing special
My enjoyment of these games have always been the combat, where you can parry and dodge enemies and attack the enemies and the enemies respond to my actions.
I don't understand the goodness in level design in general.

Silva

Arcane
I'll say this. You can argue that From Software switching to a open world format is decline compared to their usual stuff. Fair argument. That being said their open world is still better than all the rest, because their trademark brilliantly designed levels/dungeons still exist within the open world, and that makes exploration in their open world better than everybody elses' open world. You're not gonna find a From Software style area in shit Skyrim, or even the new Zeldas. That's why Elden Ring is better than the rest. I also think their open world is more interesting than all the rest.
"This open world is good because the parts not open world are good".

What a moronic argument.

Go play STALKER and educate yourself on what a great open world is.

REhorror

Educated
I'll say this. You can argue that From Software switching to a open world format is decline compared to their usual stuff. Fair argument. That being said their open world is still better than all the rest, because their trademark brilliantly designed levels/dungeons still exist within the open world, and that makes exploration in their open world better than everybody elses' open world. You're not gonna find a From Software style area in shit Skyrim, or even the new Zeldas. That's why Elden Ring is better than the rest. I also think their open world is more interesting than all the rest.
"This open world is good because the parts not open world are good".

What a moronic argument.

Go play STALKER and educate yourself on what a great open world is.
STALKER is not open world, its world is a bunch of levels, you have to follow a certain path, get certain encounter or you won't be able to complete it.

Just imagine if you can skip the Underground labs, that would suck massive balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom