Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
Bros, remember that Lyric Suite is a retired 81 yo limp fatso with no social life or pussy to fuck.

ANYONE would develop superhuman boss patterns memorization with a life like that.

I guess we are just wired differently but i always have a blast figuring out patterns but it usually doesn't take me as long. If i'm doing 70 tries it's because i'm going for a no-hit run. Still, i don't generally get bored if i'm doing a boss over and over to discover openings and practice counters. Maybe i'm just autistic lul.

It's about whether I find the design of difficulty to be fun or annoying kind. In ER it didn't seem to me that bosses play by same rules as me and that tends to annoy me. And then my butthurt becomes a major obstacle to me getting properly focused on learning the fight, I start doing more mistakes. Often same mistakes over and over. In recent years I've had tough fights that made me die a lot of times in Sekiro and Nioh 2 as well. But because I enjoyed their approach to combat a lot more, especially in Nioh 2, I didn't mind grinding them and eventually got to the point were I could reliably destroy these bosses without breaking a sweat. Since you don't find ER combat to be annoying then of course you will learn these bosses without butthurt. But it's not for me, Souls combat lost its appeal to me starting DS III. The series was never mainly about combat to me in the first place, it was about exploring cool levels. I thought first two games just had ok combat, it wasn't anything spectacular. But it didn't need to be. But once they started amping up combat difficulty it became lacking.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be clear, by 'figure out patterns' do you mean knowing that you can dodge roll towards waterfowl between the second and third step to evade it, or knowing how to make her do nothing but kicks in phase 2 and never using her ground combo in the entire fight.

You are not arguing in good faith. I already mentioned that Waterfowl is an exception, so why bring that up? Is it because you know it's the ONLY legit bullshit move FromSoft came up with?

Ditto for learning to parry like... any fucking boss? Because half their shit can't be parried and there's no way to tell the difference between a bad timing and a move that just ignores parries.

This is actually not true. FromSoft gives you plenty of clues and even go out of their way to indicate that something is parriable when you wouldn't expect it.

Look at my fight with Morgott:

His attacks have a very long wind up for a reason, same for Crucible Knights where the game is actually begging you to parry them since it's such a pain in the ass to kill them any other way. Another example is the spear Crystalians, or those fat Godskin Nobles, which even have a double parriable attack, obviously to give you the chance to parry the second swing if you miss the first. And don't forget the one you encounter on the bridge, where you have no room to dodge his stabbing strikes which is another clue you are expected to parry him.

But to return to Morgott, check what happens at the 1:00 mark. He lounges forward for his first "undodgeable" flurry combo right after his rain of knives or whatever that is and if you pay attention his sword flashes right as he is about to rush towards you, which is a big give away (he actually attacks with his sword thrusting forward while his magic hammer is over his shoulder and it's really obvious what FromSoft is expecting you to do). A single well placed parry can stop the entire sequence in its tracks, and i'm pretty sure that was always the intended way.

The second undodgeable combo is even easier, all you need to do is get behind him as soon as you see him raise his sword and magic knife and you can roll out of his attack pretty much through the entire sequence, which you can see at around 2:30.

This is one of the things i think that is tripping people up a bit in Elden Ring. After Dark Souls 3 they probably figured they had to go beyond the roll-fu stuff otherwise the combat would start to feel trivial. All the delayed attacks, the long combos, the use of hyperarmor, attacks that need to be either parried or jumped over, the use of positioning etc, the exploitation of the stagger mechanic, it's all factored in now. I suspect they also did this to try to make it feel this game is not exactly the same as Dark Souls all though i'm not sure how successful that was.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I guess we are just wired differently but i always have a blast figuring out patterns but it usually doesn't take me as long. If i'm doing 70 tries it's because i'm going for a no-hit run. Still, i don't generally get bored if i'm doing a boss over and over to discover openings and practice counters. Maybe i'm just autistic lul.

It's about whether I find the design of difficulty to be fun or annoying kind. In ER it didn't seem to me that bosses play by same rules as me and that tends to annoy me. And then my butthurt becomes a major obstacle to me getting properly focused on learning the fight, I start doing more mistakes. Often same mistakes over and over. In recent years I've had tough fights that made me die a lot of times in Sekiro and Nioh 2 as well. But because I enjoyed their approach to combat a lot more, especially in Nioh 2, I didn't mind grinding them and eventually got to the point were I could reliably destroy these bosses without breaking a sweat. Since you don't find ER combat to be annoying then of course you will learn these bosses without butthurt. But it's not for me, Souls combat lost its appeal to me starting DS III. The series was never mainly about combat to me in the first place, it was about exploring cool levels. I thought first two games just had ok combat, it wasn't anything spectacular. But it didn't need to be. But once they started amping up combat difficulty it became lacking.

I wish i could try Nioh but i'm stuck in a conundrum because i have it free on Epic (first Nioh), but i don't want to play it on Epic and i'd have to pay money to get it on Steam, which is messing me up because i'm a fucking Jew when it comes to buying games lmao.

I wish i could try Nioh but i'm stuck in a conundrum because i have it free on Epic (first Nioh), but i don't want to play it on Epic and i'd have to pay money to get it on Steam, which is messing me up because i'm a fucking Jew when it comes to buying games lmao.

I would recommend going straight for the second one anyway, it's pretty much the same game but with more character customization and larger enemy variety. So a more complete version of it. It reuses a bunch of stuff from first game so starting with that one would probably just increase the burn out factor. One playthrough can last long as these are games where you are meant to go through all NG cycles if you want to get the best equipment, and you would of course. What kind of autist would you be otherwise? It's not just equipment either, encounters get remixed in higher difficulties, enemies gain new moves.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
Fuck I wish sometimes From Software and Team Ninja collaborated on a game, could be a match made in heaven. FS art design and production values + TN combat design, potential 10/10 game for me.
On the contrary, it would be a disaster.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
His attacks have a very long wind up for a reason (same for Crucible Knights where the game is actually begging you to parry them since it's such a pain in the ass to kill them any other way. Another example is the spear Crystalians), but then check what happens at the 1:00 mark. He lounges forward for his first "undodgeable" flurry combo right after his rain of knives or whatever that is and if you pay attention his sword flashes right as he is about to rush towards you, which is a big give away. A single well placed parry can stop the entire sequence in its tracks, and i'm pretty sure that was always the intended way.
This logic makes no sense though. His sword only flashed because he summoned a huge, glowing, obviously can't be parried hammer right before the charge. And the massive delays on enemy attacks doesn't make them easier to parry, it makes them more difficult because you need to memorize how long the delay is instead of being able to intuitively time the parry with a smooth trajectory of an incoming attack. Is that windup slam from the watchdog statue parryable? I have no idea, I'm sure as fuck not going to try, but you're implying it should be because it's slow. What about the shit Radahn does? I don't recall people parry spamming him, but it's not like he's that much bigger than Morgott. What about those dragonkin soldiers? Loretta's lightsaber halberd? None of this seems parryable to me but who the fuck knows. The only things I'd expect to by parryable are enemies that are more or less human sized. A godskin noble is probably where I'd draw the line for what seems intuitively possible, and only because it's a rapier. If you can parry anything bigger than that then I fail to see any logic to it and would just as easily assume you can parry the fucking Elden Beast or a tree spirit.

Silva

Arcane

In other words, in Sekiro the fight system welcomes you to master it, while in Elden Ring it welcomes you sideline it and spam Rivers of Blood/Moonveil/Kamihamiha.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This logic makes no sense though. His sword only flashed because he summoned a huge, glowing, obviously can't be parried hammer right before the charge.

No. The sword flashes to draw your attention to it. He lounges forward with his sword drawn in front right after it flashes it seems pretty explicit to me. Normally your focus would be on the big hammer that's why they made sure the sword was right in your face during the charge.

And the massive delays on enemy attacks doesn't make them easier to parry

It's not that the wind up makes it easier to nail the timing, it's just one big indication that a parry opportunity is available. Usually those long wind up attacks come from enemies that just seem difficult to handle head on. Not always, but it's usually a good rule of thumb.

Is that windup slam from the watchdog statue parryable? I have no idea

Yes:

Radahn... dragonkin soldiers...

Nah, those are clearly too large.

Loretta's lightsaber halberd?

Yes:

Also this guy:

The only things I'd expect to by parryable are enemies that are more or less human sized.

I think it's size but also the shape. You say Morgott is large. To me he is not large enough to go over the threshold but even if he was there's just something humanoid about him. The same goes for that halberd dark knight guy. Yes it's a big weapon but it still feels human size.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

In other words, in Sekiro the fight system welcomes you to master it, while in Elden Ring it welcomes you sideline it and spam Rivers of Blood/Moonveil/Kamihamiha.

Still not sure what's prevent you from mastering the fight system in Elden Ring.

Also Sekiro doesn't exactly "welcome" you to master the system. You just have no choice on the matter. Elden Ring is more lax in giving normies some leeway to cheese the game but i don't get what's there that would prevent anyone from mastering the game would they wish to do so.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm still not seeing any pattern connecting these various attacks. At all. Loretta's only parryable attack is a weird jab with the blunt end. Night's cavalry is when it's an overhead, first one handed then two, but not the horizontal swings. Morgott has horizontal slashes that finish dashes and are midway through combos that can be parried, and horizontal slashes that can't because he uses them to backflip? What the fuck is the logic here? Morgott 'sword flash' is literally just the motion blur they put on everything. Crucible knights have that during their diving attack. Why can't you parry that? You can parry Maliketh's crazy somersaulting death energy blade, but not Loretta's halberd when it's glowing?

It doesn't seem to matter what direction the attack comes from, the size of the wielder, the speed of the attack, whether one or two hands get used... there's just no fucking tells for this shit. All you can do is try parry everything start over when you die.

Edit: This basically sums up my experience with trying to parry in ER:

Why the fuck would I keep trying after shit like that?

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned

Release date​

Although we are not 100% certain, we believe that the Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree DLC would release on June 21, 2024 .

Why are we not sure, quite simply because this date of June 21, 2024 corresponds to the release date of several special editions of the game on the different platforms. Here is the list of these special editions.
Source

This dude (BillBil-kun) is right like 99% of the time. Article is in french and google translated to english.

June, that's a good date, I can't think of any big release during that time?
Also just in time for summer break in northern hemispheres.

The DLC will dwarf anything released then anyways.

I've tried time and time again to restart the game... I don't have it in me, to go through those 120 hours again. Zanzibart... I've failed...

REhorror

Educated

I've tried time and time again to restart the game... I don't have it in me, to go through those 120 hours again. Zanzibart... I've failed...
I think I'm gonna replay the whole thing by the time I finish Dragon's Dogma 2, assuming Dragon's Dogma 2 turns out to be swell....

I think I'm gonna replay the whole thing by the time I finish Dragon's Dogma 2, assuming Dragon's Dogma 2 turns out to be swell....
It's gonna be great. No reason for it not to be, considering it's just an updated version of the first game. I think I'll play through DDDA again though. My pc will need a bit of an upgrade before I jump into DD2.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
While I'm looking forward to the DLC, I'm also kind of dreading it. I'm going to need to acquire every new weapon, spell, ash of war, talisman, site of grace and crafting material. All at RL9 +0. I did this for the base game and I have a really awesome mule now, but it was a mammoth project.

If the DLC is as big as rumored it'll be like starting that all over again only worse because nobody will have the new stuff on their mules yet so I'll have to farm it instead of getting it dropped.

REhorror

Educated
I'm fine with it being a standalone game i.e. Armored Core's tradition (one number game, one expansion/standalone).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom