Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Overall, excited for the DLC. I played hundreds of hours on Elden Ring, and it was my first Souls experience overall, just because the others never really appealed to me too much.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be honest, i'm not sure i can muster the will to play this game again by the time the DLC rolls in. That SL1 attempt i did last year was a big mistake. It was too soon to replay a game so large and i still feel the burn out. I'd love to catch the game when the hype is at the highest again but i may have to skip this one for a while we'll see.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
They ain't shadow dropping it this month and they sure af ain't dropping it next month with DD2 coming out. I wouldn't buy it if they did. I took days off work for DD2. I'm putting hundreds of hours into that beast. From Software would be wise to wait until later in the year. Right now feels like bad timing.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think the reason the others didn't appeal to me too much was the linearity of those games, or at least that's how they seemed at the time to me. Elden Ring, from what I've gathered, is apparently much more open though to be fair it still has it's linear blockers, I think of a few mandatory points.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I think the reason the others didn't appeal to me too much was the linearity of those games, or at least that's how they seemed at the time to me. Elden Ring, from what I've gathered, is apparently much more open though to be fair it still has it's linear blockers, I think of a few mandatory points.
Lol I wouldn't describe Dark Souls as being linear, atleast not the first 2. 3 is pretty fucking linear.

Silva

Arcane
To be honest, i'm not sure i can muster the will to play this game again by the time the DLC rolls in. That SL1 attempt i did last year was a big mistake. It was too soon to replay a game so large and i still feel the burn out. I'd love to catch the game when the hype is at the highest again but i may have to skip this one for a while we'll see.
Yeah I can't see.myself replaying this beast again. I triggered the ending but not new game plus so hopefully, I can still do the DLC in this same playthrough once it hits.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Non-linearity isn't always a guaranteed virtue.

DS1 is a 10/10 game between Firelink and Anor Londo and that's when it is at its most linear (relatively speaking. There's still a lot of room to move around in DS1 it's not a literal straight line). The game becomes more open after that but it also drops in quality, in part precisely because you can get overleveled for whichever area you pick last by doing the others first, creating an unbalanced experience (i remember steam rolling over Nito on my first playthrough because i did him last while he kicked my ass on my second character because i went there first).

Elden Ring suffers a bit from this too, with most areas being balanced for a certain SL range only for the difficutly to spike dramatically once you reach those areas that are designated as "late" game. You can experience this abrupt spike early on by going from Caelid to Dragonbarrow, and it's a pretty jarring experience.

If you check the Fextra progress route you can see just how much of the game is balanced for a max SL70 character:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

By virtue of being non-linear, they couldn't design a proper difficutly curve so a big chunk of the game feels relatively even in terms of challenge, until, suddenly, you get to areas designed for a character with maxed vitality and upgrades.

The thing is that personally i don't even know what they could do to solve this problem. Bethesda tried with that level scaling bullshit and we all know how retarded that was. If you start designing areas with a properly tuned difficulty curve, you lose the non-linearity. If you design them to be non-linear, you lose a balanced progression.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I'll probably be extremely burned-out for the DLC if it comes out in the next few months because of my replaying the whole game. Hopefully, they'll delay it until summer.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
much of the game is balanced for a max SL70 character
Not disagreeing with you there just that I want to mention that level doesn't matter. Allocation of stats matters. You can be level 300 before Margit/Godrick but if you only put points in HP/stamina/FP you'll still do basic damage and the fight will take just as long.

Barbarian

Arcane
You always gotta kill the right-hand man first. Tale as old as time. I wouldn't be opposed to an "outer god" appearing as the big bad. I imagine they look like insects, like that one alien boss you gotta fight a couple times. It's been a while since I played the game, I forgot over half the names.
Outer gods: Greater Will, Rot God, Frenzied Mother, Blood Star, God of Frenzied Flame, Dark Moon, Dragon God. Probably some I'm forgetting.
But nah brah, Godwyn is where it's at. Oh and Miquella. Oh and Malenia round 2. What I said about the DLC team stands the test of time.

I think there is a good chance they could do bloodrot deity or formless mother as a boss.

You visit the place where rot deity is imprisoned after all. Formless mother is also imprisoned underground somewhere

The others I don't see happening. You are given the option to side with frenzyed flame and if you don't it just stays there. Why would you fight it? Dark moon is in outer space and hardly interested in the lands between outside of being Ranni's patron. Ancient dragon deity is probably just another expression of the greater will.

Barbarian

Arcane
Well one of the themes of the game is that the so called "outer" deities need an avatar or representative to manifest in the lands between, right? As in the greater will always having to pick an "empyrean" to rule as a manifest deity.

It gets confusing because we know of these two I mentioned being physically imprisoned in the underground, which removes the "outer" part that the name implies. We also know that the rotgod was defeated and imprisoned by a blind swordsman who was Malenia's master.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You are given the option to side with frenzyed flame and if you don't it just stays there. Why would you fight it?
It opposes everything and its ending is where everything dies. Just chaos, no plan, no order, just edgy shit, reason enough to put it out of its misery.
Dark moon is in outer space and hardly interested in the lands between
If all those deities weren't interested in the lands between they would have left. The thing is they can't do anything as long as Greater Will presides, as it's clearly the most powerful entity, but they bet on you as an agent to overthrow the current order and without you they can't do anything.
Ancient dragon deity is probably just another expression of the greater will.
It seemed to have fucked right off when the GW appeared and left Placidusax frozen in time, isolated until he/she returns.
The same thing with the giants. Godfrey exterminated them. Seems like GW came by and took over, not much opposition.
At least they should expand on the GW since it's clearly a unique specimen in the world if not an outright deity in which case there's nothing you can do against.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think the reason the others didn't appeal to me too much was the linearity of those games, or at least that's how they seemed at the time to me.

Lol I wouldn't describe Dark Souls as being linear, atleast not the first 2. 3 is pretty fucking linear.

DS1 is a 10/10 game between Firelink and Anor Londo and that's when it is at its most linear (relatively speaking. There's still a lot of room to move around in DS1 it's not a literal straight line).

Man... so much wrong.

DS1 is the least linear of the souls games by a significant margin. There's something like 12 different bosses you can potentially run into next after leaving the tutorial. Granted, a few of those would require some pretty circuitous routes, but generally speaking, as soon as you hit the ground, the world is your oyster. This is owed to the way the map is laid out, with pretty much every area being connected to at least 2 others and those connections generally aren't gated by a boss. Elden Ring is obviously even more open than this, but a lot of the time it doesn't feel that way when you run into some arbitrary wall set by a boss you havne't killed yet. But you could theoretically go pretty much straight from the start to Rykard if you wanted, which is pretty cool.

DS2 is the most linear of the 3 imo, with the player basically being given 4 potential routes to go at the start, 2 of which are realistically accessible to a new player, and all of which end in a dead end. Once you've completed all 4 routes you enter the second half of the game, which is a giant linear slog through like 5 areas, and some of the worst in the game at that. There's no real connectivity, the hub is a crossroads and everything radiates from there. DLCs give a bit more to screw with but realisticaly they're not accessible right away either. The original Demons' Souls was like this as well, except it didn't have the pretense of a connected overworld, so you didn't get weird nonsense like lakes of lava on top of windmills.

DS3 is in sort of a quasi-linear state. There's basically one main path, but side routes constantly branch off from it, so unless you're following a guide to do every side branch ASAP, you'll likely spend the majority of the game with multiple unexplored routes. I don't think I ran out of branches in my path until like the last 25% of the game or so, but some people end up doing every branch ASAP and therefore spend half the game with only one new place to go at a time.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
DS3 is in sort of a quasi-linear state. There's basically one main path, but side routes constantly branch off from it, so unless you're following a guide to do every side branch ASAP, you'll likely spend the majority of the game with multiple unexplored routes. I don't think I ran out of branches in my path until like the last 25% of the game or so, but some people end up doing every branch ASAP and therefore spend half the game with only one new place to go at a time.
You seem to play souls games like an ADHD-riddled zoomer. Obviously I'm going to fully explore each individual level until there's nothing left to explore, and only then move on to the next level. I can't even fathom constantly abandoning "branches", going to another one, abandoning that one too, going to a third, then back to the first, etc.

It's the worst possible way to play any FS game, even Elden Ring with its huge locations. How dare you show your face itt.

Silva

Arcane
You seem to play souls games like an ADHD-riddled zoomer. Obviously I'm going to fully explore each individual level until there's nothing left to explore, and only then move on to the next level. I can't even fathom constantly abandoning "branches", going to another one, abandoning that one too, going to a third, then back to the first, etc.

It's the worst possible way to play any FS game, even Elden Ring with its huge locations. How dare you show your face itt.
You're missing the fact some of those side paths sometimes become a wall, making you give up for the time being and come back later/when you're stronger.

I'm not saying DS3 is open-ended or anything, but it's certainly not super linear as you make it look, specially with the DLC.

Silva

Arcane
The inclusion of Outer gods here was clearly a mistake. They do nothing for the setting except deprotagonize the royal family, which are the stars of the show. So yeah, gimme Godwyn, Miquela and Melina/Gloom Eye Queen in the DLC. Enough "giant insects from space" crap.

Oh, and more Godskins lore please. These guys are badass. This was the first time I actually roleplayed a fatso in a videogame. Cartman the Godskin.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I think the reason the others didn't appeal to me too much was the linearity of those games, or at least that's how they seemed at the time to me.

DS1 is a 10/10 game between Firelink and Anor Londo and that's when it is at its most linear (relatively speaking. There's still a lot of room to move around in DS1 it's not a literal straight line).

Man... so much wrong.

DS1 is the least linear of the souls games by a significant margin. There's something like 12 different bosses you can potentially run into next after leaving the tutorial. Granted, a few of those would require some pretty circuitous routes, but generally speaking, as soon as you hit the ground, the world is your oyster. This is owed to the way the map is laid out, with pretty much every area being connected to at least 2 others and those connections generally aren't gated by a boss. Elden Ring is obviously even more open than this, but a lot of the time it doesn't feel that way when you run into some arbitrary wall set by a boss you havne't killed yet. But you could theoretically go pretty much straight from the start to Rykard if you wanted, which is pretty cool.

DS2 is the most linear of the 3 imo, with the player basically being given 4 potential routes to go at the start, 2 of which are realistically accessible to a new player, and all of which end in a dead end. Once you've completed all 4 routes you enter the second half of the game, which is a giant linear slog through like 5 areas, and some of the worst in the game at that. There's no real connectivity, the hub is a crossroads and everything radiates from there. DLCs give a bit more to screw with but realisticaly they're not accessible right away either. The original Demons' Souls was like this as well, except it didn't have the pretense of a connected overworld, so you didn't get weird nonsense like lakes of lava on top of windmills.

Pfft, Dark Souls 2 is MORE linear than 3? This nigga out his damn mind.

3 is literally a straight line with like one side path.

9ted6

Educated
The inclusion of Outer gods here was clearly a mistake. They do nothing for the setting except deprotagonize the royal family, which are the stars of the show. So yeah, gimme Godwyn, Miquela and Melina/Gloom Eye Mother in the DLC. Enough "giant insects from space" crap.
But muh hecking cthulurinos

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
tenor.gif

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
So what's the deal with White Mask Varre? He acts creepily familiar, keeps calling the PC his "lambkin", and keeps stressing the fact that you are M A I D E N L E S S.

The reason you're maidenless, of course, is that your maiden is lying dead in a pool of blood when you arrive into the Lands Between through the fog. And, after you emerge from the tutorial tunnel, Varre is already there, as if he was expecting you. Did he kill our maiden?

Then he takes you on a very groomer-adjacent questline that culminates with him admitting you into the Mohgwyn dynasty and giving you a medal (which he "went out of his way to get for you") that can teleport you into Mohg's Mausoleum. And then tells you not to use it. My lambkin. (A lambkin is an iconic sacrificial animal.)

So... was this all some kind of weird set-up to get a Tarnished to end up in Mohg's secret bunker and get fucked sacrificed? Is it the same kind of plot that the Volcano Manor is doing, where Tarnished are lured in with a bunch of promises, made to kill other Tarnished, and then as a "reward" get sacrificed to their horrible faction leader? Or was he genuinely giving you a place in the new dynasty and then you ruin it by going there too soon?

P. S. I forgot that Rykard's giant snake is yet another "god" creature that has its own worshippers (temple of Eiglay or something). Maybe this one represents the poison status effect?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I played the game with a general faith/dex build and over the course of the run I found a great many viable weapons, ashes, spells, and summons. Mostly stuck to holy and fire damage, but went through spears, one handed, dual wielding, two handed, bleed, ice, etc. All without respeccing too. I never felt the game was too hard, and never resorted to degenerate tactics like pulling every single enemy and pushing them off ledges. Compared to Sekiro, game is a cakewalk.

Seems like a skill issue.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah I didn't expect the image to be a blurry mess. You get the idea though.
I've seen images like that before, they're bullshit though and only show the physical connections, ignoring which areas are actually gated behind others via keys and such. The areas connected to shaded woods look like a non linear exploration paradise, but in reality they don't exist. After you get all 4 lord souls, each at the end of their own chain of ~3 bosses each, the path converges and you do Drangleic > A Shrine > Crypt > Aerie > D Shrine > Dream > Throne. Each of those areas has a boss (or two), and regardless of where they are physically in the game, you WILL do them in that order. It's a fucking slog and the reason I never replay the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom