Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

My enjoyment of these games have always been the combat, where you can parry and dodge enemies and attack the enemies and the enemies respond to my actions.

My brain does Kamala Harris voice when reading this.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Is it that weird that I enjoy the combat/interactivity of these games rather than the level design?
Valuing combat/interactivity in a video game is good. Together with good level design is great. Sucks that you have to choose.
But DkS1 does both.
Btw, DkS3 is pure feces. Best Souls 2 is where it's at.

REhorror

Educated
Is it that weird that I enjoy the combat/interactivity of these games rather than the level design?
Valuing combat/interactivity in a video game is good. Together with good level design is great. Sucks that you have to choose.
But DkS1 does both.
Btw, DkS3 is pure feces. Best Souls 2 is where it's at.
Kinda weird that some people seem to champion Dark Souls 2 now. Oh well.

For me, it's Dark Souls 3 or ER due to the combat alone.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
j5DUCP.jpg

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Set pieces mean that every encounter is scripted to happen in a certain way/having certain gimmick, so that every of them can be different and thus more memorable.
I much prefer this over "steady good gameplay" which translates to boringness.
Weird as fuck but whatever. Tried The Wonderfull 101? Set-piece galore but it feels made for them.

REhorror

Educated
Set pieces mean that every encounter is scripted to happen in a certain way/having certain gimmick, so that every of them can be different and thus more memorable.
I much prefer this over "steady good gameplay" which translates to boringness.
Weird as fuck but whatever. Tried The Wonderfull 101? Set-piece galore but it feels made for them.
This isn't really weird at all, this is classical game design, with levels in mind. Every levels are to have something unique in them thus memorable.
But no, haven't tried TW101 yet, heard good things about it tho.

Bayonetta and Vanquish tho, my jam.

REhorror

Educated
Every classical games level change, my man. This level you encounter this boss that fights in this pattern, the next you are in a snow level and sliding around.
I'm not sure where you get the whole basic hook that stays thing.

This has been a thing since what? Rockman?

Silva

Arcane
I'll say this. You can argue that From Software switching to a open world format is decline compared to their usual stuff. Fair argument. That being said their open world is still better than all the rest, because their trademark brilliantly designed levels/dungeons still exist within the open world, and that makes exploration in their open world better than everybody elses' open world. You're not gonna find a From Software style area in shit Skyrim, or even the new Zeldas. That's why Elden Ring is better than the rest. I also think their open world is more interesting than all the rest.
"This open world is good because the parts not open world are good".

What a moronic argument.

Go play STALKER and educate yourself on what a great open world is.
STALKER is not open world, its world is a bunch of levels, you have to follow a certain path, get certain encounter or you won't be able to complete it.

Just imagine if you can skip the Underground labs, that would suck massive balls.
First, being open world doesn't mean lacking key progression points. Every open world has these.

And what you describe is only true for first Stalker. Second and third are more open and allow skipping shit.

Also, Anomaly mod. :smug:

REhorror

Educated
I'll say this. You can argue that From Software switching to a open world format is decline compared to their usual stuff. Fair argument. That being said their open world is still better than all the rest, because their trademark brilliantly designed levels/dungeons still exist within the open world, and that makes exploration in their open world better than everybody elses' open world. You're not gonna find a From Software style area in shit Skyrim, or even the new Zeldas. That's why Elden Ring is better than the rest. I also think their open world is more interesting than all the rest.
"This open world is good because the parts not open world are good".

What a moronic argument.

Go play STALKER and educate yourself on what a great open world is.
STALKER is not open world, its world is a bunch of levels, you have to follow a certain path, get certain encounter or you won't be able to complete it.

Just imagine if you can skip the Underground labs, that would suck massive balls.
That's only the first game. The second and third are more open and allow skipping some shit.

Also, Anomaly mod. :smug:
2nd game and 3rd games still follow this inter-connected levels, CoP just puts on you two big zones.

Anomaly Mod is fetch quest the game, without the OG trilogy, it would be nothing.

REhorror

Educated
I'm not sure what your definition of open world is, my definition is that the world is literally open and there's no loading screens/cut to black between areas.
STALKER is definitely NOT that.

But yes, open world can have linear narrative/gameplay progression, I agree.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Every classical games level change, my man. This level you encounter this boss that fights in this pattern, the next you are in a snow level and sliding around.

That's stretching classical game design, and those are usually variations on the hook, not so much set-pieces.

Silva

Arcane
I'm too old to discuss definitions on the web. If STALKER isnt one of the best open world games there is then the genre can die in a fire. I don't care.

What I care is that ER open world is shit.

REhorror

Educated

That's stretching classical game design, and those are usually variations on the hook, not so much set-pieces.
I don't think so...but I just want to see the new trailer so I'm just gonna stop arguing I guess.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
That music, that beat, fucking jumpscare...and then wait some more...bait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom