Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
Beauty without meaning is irrelevant.

TOMB OF GIANTS remains the most memorable underground area. :smug:

Silva

Arcane
Oh yeah, Amana shrine is great too. I don't even like DS2 much but remember it.

Which also reminds me of Majula as a great, if not the best, hub in souls.... and how Roundtable hold is terrible. Anybody else keeps getting confused by which door leads to the blacksmith even after a hundred hours in the game?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Majula as a great, if not the best, hub in souls
Which one is your best? In my book it's by far the best.

Majula>>>>>>DS3 Firelink>Nexus>Ashina Castle/Dilapidated Temple>Roundtable>Hunter's Dream>DS1 Firelink.

(Not that I hate the Dream and DS1 Firelink, both have nice vibe, but one is just a bonfire and the other a small hut)

Ezekiel

Arcane
Will someone please show me when FromSoftware said that the lore is written after, where they implied it's an afterthought for them? I know they said something like that, but it was years ago. A keyboard warrior demands proof.

Silva

Arcane

Majula>>>>>>DS3 Firelink>Nexus>Ashina Castle/Dilapidated Temple>Roundtable>Hunter's Dream>DS1 Firelink.

(Not that I hate the Dream and DS1 Firelink, both have nice vibe, but one is just a bonfire and the other a small hut)
Mine would be identical to yours but with Roundtable in last.

I find Rountable infinitely weaker than Firelink and Hunter Dream in theme/ambience.

Silva

Arcane
DS1 Firelink is the best hub, since it's the only one you're forced to return to constantly.
Besides fitting seamlessly in the world geography.

I also like the calm music, and how you can appreciate the beautiful vista of the world's horizon nearby. It feels really similar to Majula in this.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Beauty without meaning is irrelevant.

TOMB OF GIANTS remains the most memorable underground area. :smug:
Fascinating stuff, revolutionary even. So what meaning does tomb of giants have?
Btw, pretty lights, cosmic bright dust particles, fiery crimson red hue radiating from a greek like imposing palace, and alien enity llike Astel standing in front of a really cool looking galaxy imagery, a regal animal like Ancestor spirit, all of this >>>> a black screen.
IDK it's just me I guess.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's music and dark, cozy ambiance makes the Nexus my favorite hub to simply exist in, but other than that it's mid. Firelink 1 is the best overall jack-of-all-trades hub to me; pleasant scenery + connection to other zones + interesting geography/layout + the freshness of being early in the run of similar FS games. I understand why Majula is well liked, but there is no element that grabs me like the other two. Hunter's Dream looks cool but it's only a place I return to to take care of business. Firelink 3 and Dilapidated Temple don't so anything for me. Haven't played ER.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Yeah ngl, Tomb of Giants kind of scared the shit out of me the first time going through it. I think that might have been the only Souls area to ever do that to me.

Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring had some spooky/creepy moments but nothing that outright scared me.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron

Imagine ranking DS3 second best and DS1 the lowest.

Yeah ngl, Tomb of Giants kind of scared the shit out of me the first time going through it. I think that might have been the only Souls area to ever do that to me.
The Gutter is also great on a first playthrough.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Nah man, the symmetrical soulless DS3 Firelink is better than DS1 Firelink, even Roundtable is better.
Man, am I glad I'm not a Polack.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The Hunter's Dream is the best hub level because you've got all your upgrade tables in one spot and no annoying generic dialogue to skip through before you get to the upgrade menu. Even the merchants are dialogue-less. Should have enabled level ups at the statue, instead of having to talk to the Doll, would have made it perfect.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The Hunter's Dream is the best hub level because you've got all your upgrade tables in one spot and no annoying generic dialogue to skip through before you get to the upgrade menu. Even the merchants are dialogue-less. Should have enabled level ups at the statue, instead of having to talk to the Doll, would have made it perfect.
You just perved out over the doll the whole time. Hunter's Dream is great but not because of the reason why the sex pervert likes it.

Vorark

Erudite
Firelink Shrine in DS3 could've been better if it slowly decayed into the version you visit in Untended Graves, as an indicator that the fire is about to be extinguished. Should be fully covered in darkness by the time you're about to fight Soul of Cinder.

It is the one hub I always remember though, due to that melancholic secret betrayal tune.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's music and dark, cozy ambiance makes the Nexus my favorite hub to simply exist in, but other than that it's mid.
The Nexus has good music, great architecture and ambience, the Maiden in Black, and everyone is located within a small area. Easily the best.

Demon-s-Souls-Nexus-Ceremony-Orioto.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
FS. Because it was integrated into world cohesively and game didn't have warp till end game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom