Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Stoned Ape

Savant
Shieldspear? wtf lol

They're "Stechschilde"– thrusting shields.

65op0p42bl381.jpg

mnidk562c7181.jpg

p0dq9bp6.webp

Gahbreeil

Scholar
Hey, hey. Help a n00b out, I'm actually scared of playing the game after reaching the beginning of the Academy. Dying twice is a big no while most enemies require me to die before I learn how to defeat them.

Any advice would be helpful. I can share a few screenshots as well.

Hey, hey. Help a n00b out, I'm actually scared of playing the game after reaching the beginning of the Academy. Dying twice is a big no while most enemies require me to die before I learn how to defeat them.

Any advice would be helpful. I can share a few screenshots as well.
Post build, also items. You probably need to level up more.

Anonona

Learned
I'll recommend to focus in vigor early on, most of your damage will come from weapon upgrades. So is not really worth it to focus on attack stats beyond the bare minimun to use your weapon of choice untl your weapon gets high scaling. High HP makes a big difference, specially first time through while you are still learning the game. The minimun Vigor recommended is 40 to be able to take at least 1-2 hits without dying later on, but you can go over that depending on your build.

Ivan

Arcane
^ Have you exhausted the content in: Limgrave>Weeping Peninsula>Liuria> Caelid?

So in light of the DLC I've returned for my 2nd playthrough. I'm typically a one and done type of player, especially for a game of this scale. I burned out hard after the virginal 100+ hour playthrough. I loved the legacy dungeons, but felt the open world was superfluous and we could have done without it and the crafting.

That said, I got a new notepad to take in the world and the lore all over again + I made sure to look out for things I know I missed out on the first time: I never found the Volcano Manor dungeon (just the NPC clubhouse) + I never found Mohg or many of the NPCs for that matter. I'm glad to see the a game update adds NPC markers to the world map + I thought it was cute how they put a red market to indicate where the falling star landed after Radahn.

Beyond that, I'm having a great time all over again, by and large. I'm finding new mini-dungeons, sites of grace, and I could swear new bosses I had never seen before. I'm triggering events that I didn't the first time around. I remember Radahn's being completely empty on my 1st playthrough. Ghosttown. I wonder if I had killed boss Y to trigger everyone being absent then. This time around I was able to enjoy the "Festival of War."

Silva

Arcane
Next game FROM should go back to a tighter combat system. Playing Lies of P made me miss early Souls combat that had actual weight and dodges costed meaningful stamina, instead of being an overly reliable crutch that turns the game in this weird (and cringe) barrel-rolling fest. In a sense this is a continuation of DS3, which is puzzling as that was their worst combat implementation. Hope it finally dies with ER.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Next game FROM should go back to a tighter combat system. Playing Lies of P made me miss early Souls combat that had actual weight and dodges costed meaningful stamina, instead of being an overly reliable crutch that turns the game in this weird (and cringe) barrel-rolling fest. In a sense this is a continuation of DS3, which is puzzling as that was their worst combat implementation. Hope it finally dies with ER.
They're never going back. Not after the stupid raging success they had. It's over.

MasPingon

Arcane
0dahZcj.png
ftmUGbk.png
Dude, you are doing the same thing as I did first playing ER - trying to be all round warrior who also do some cool shit with incantations, that's the path to suffering. You need more strength and a lot more endurance, your hits are weak and you can't swing your sword a lot. You also can't carry much of a good stuff with such low equip load, so you got piss poor poise. In Elden Ring poise is a little bit retarded, but you still need at least 51, otherwise absolutely everything that hits you(even weak projectiles) makes you stunned for a while. You are a bit underleveled for this location, find something to do in Limgrave and Wening Peninsula.

Get your shit together, build some muscle and stamina, do not try to be Drizzt at your first playthrough and start kicking butts.

Also, strength with faith is not a good combination, if you want to build warrior/faith you should go for dex.

Here is my dex/faith build, not ideal but fun to play:
0A28B2E89EBCCC4755EB9A805CCBDF47FB82AC49

9707DE7D16C6A1CEA5B82B9AB0143161576C2B9E

But with you current build I would go all strength:

D08D05E588C24C45B78009C41D167693A51E5A80

AC5840A93FAAA93EDD0EC3FD6499C5521A676885

It's like a train.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
these are the types of weapons the eccentric king makes you fight with during the trial by combat
That and for novelty fights in tourneys, I expect. I think they're designed more for spectacle than practicality, the lighter versions weigh around 12 kilos and you'd be pretty shattered after fighting for a few minutes. They're definitely not portable or useful enough to see action on a battlefield or as an option for a weapon for self defence in civilian life.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Endurance, Strength and Vigour. I got it!
The other thing to keep in mind is that there is the possibility to reassign your attributes a limited number of times after you clear a certain boss (it requires a consumable and a visit to a specific NPC).

In my playthrough I initially went for a Vit/End/Str build, but I found it quite frustrating because there are a number of sections of the game that are much easier to deal with if you have access to a good bow and/or a few longer ranged spells.

After I'd gone through quite a lot of the game I reassigned everything into Intelligence (main, eventually ended up with 80), Vigour (40), Mind (30) and just enough points in endurance, strength and dexterity to equip the armour and weapons I wanted (which scaled damage mainly from Intelligence). I found the more options I had to deal with stuff that annoyed me, the more fun I could have with the game and the less pissed off I would get while playing it.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I fired this up in preparation, but I have a much better video card so it's surprising to me how jarring the locked 60 FPS is. I assume that you will be perma-banned if you unlock the FPS, correct?

Beyond that, NG++ doesn't seem that hard so far. Maybe I won't have to start from scratch.

ferratilis

Magister
I fired this up in preparation, but I have a much better video card so it's surprising to me how jarring the locked 60 FPS is. I assume that you will be perma-banned if you unlock the FPS, correct?
Not perma banned, you will get a 6 month soft ban, you'll see all bloodstains/messages from other players but can't do co-op or PvP. Source: I'm currently banned for six months for this exact reason. Anti cheat for this game doesn't fuck around.

Stoned Ape

Savant
'Miyazaki says that, this time, FromSoftware has tried to create "something that's not quite open field and not quite legacy dungeon" – with the latter referring to areas such as Stormveil Castle and Raya Lucaria Academy in the base game, which feel more reminiscent of Dark Souls' classic dungeons. Instead, he says: "It's something that kind of blends the two together and creates that better sense of verticality. While you do have the large open field area… we wanted to not just capture the sense of scale and granularity, but the sense of variety as well."

Ultimately, it sounds as though Shadow of the Erdtree's Land of Shadow could end up feeling a little more like a middle ground between the Elden Ring we already know and love and the Dark Souls trilogy.'

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/ac...uite-open-field-and-not-quite-legacy-dungeon/

Ravielsk

Magister
Base game is 60 gb and the DLC is about 20 gb, so 80 gb in total. :math:
Yes, but the current game size is 48,2 gb. So based on this the patch for the base game adds about 12gb and then the DLC itself is 20GB on top of that.

So either the filesize is calculated with all the language options installed or they are adding way more than they are letting on with the DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom