Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Maybe if your arguments weren't all shit people would have an easier time considering them (and the fact you have to rely on sophistry, bad faith arguments etc says a lot).

Also, i would honestly like to know if there is even a game you like, since everything for you appears to be "shit". The only time i've seen you make something resembling a positive comment on a game was Halo of all things lmao.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Lyric you're not even self aware enough to make an argument. You genuinely have a mental defect where you have to religiously defend From games from people who are way more informed than you and it's really quite sad. I hope you can find a good therapist who can help you with your life issues if you're this desperate to make a bad action RPG your entire life.

Interesting Zullie video. See if you can notice how many of the attacks are copy pasted (it's almost all of them lol).

Odoryuk

Educated
Lyric you're not even self aware enough to make an argument. You genuinely have a mental defect where you have to religiously defend From games from people who are way more informed than you and it's really quite sad
It's a good game, Brent

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You linked to a lore video dude. I'm avoiding those for now until my let's play is done.

FromSoft recycling attacks isn't a new thing and it's not that big of a deal either. Developers having to cut certain corners to meet their deadline is part of the nature of this busines. Even the "greats" did it. Handel culled entire sections from his older operas so he could meet his deadline whenever a new season started at his theater and sometimes even went so far as steal form "other" composers (but like he said, the stuff he stole was too "good" for them, which he was right lmao).

Critisizing shortcomings is one thing but there's also such a thing as demanding too much. When you are asking for a perfection that has never been achieved by anyone in the 50+ years this medium as existed you may just be trying too hard to find faults for the sake of finding faults.

You are also talking about a Japanese company and we dealt with this subject before, how in the mindset of the Japanese, "recycling" what has worked in the past, and building on a tradition of "proved" gameplay mechanics is how they often operate. They are not as obssed at having to reinvent the wheel and discover fire again every single time like western devs were at one point. There's a certain wisdom to this as their games have often a mechanical "maturity" that is hard for western developers to achieve even if it often comes at the expense of novelty and freshness.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Lyric you're not even self aware enough to make an argument. You genuinely have a mental defect where you have to religiously defend From games from people who are way more informed than you and it's really quite sad
It's a good game, Brent
I didn't know that meme. I have become a slightly more tainted human being..

It's not even worth engaging with From fanboys. It's always the same argument of "you expect too much from one of the biggest gaming companies in the world". It's exactly like Pokemon where the magic died 3 games ago but the games just keep selling better and better.

350157379_983226836424812_6978909109531906123_n.gif

abija

Prophet
Dude go grind some intelligence or refill your prescription. You are reaching SDG levels of absurd now, making retarded claims and arguing something different after.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I have 383 hours in Elden ring right now. I would estimate 250 of those, if not more are riding around on Torrent being bored. Compare this to literally any other souls games and the amount of filler travel time is close to less than 1% of that despite being a close amount of play time in all of them on Steam (and god knows if we include console versions).

Elden ring has enjoyable moments, but they're rare as hens teeth because we need 1% grindable open worlds.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I can't decide if From, Sonic the hedgehog or Bethesda have the worst fanboys at this point.

Sonic. Beth fans just enjoy bad games. From fans are overzealous, but ultimately harmless. Sonic fans get arrested for raping the elderly.

From games can be interesting to discuss and the community used to be full of life and excitement to discuss the pros and cons of the game and how to improve them even if From never actually would.

One of the funniest things about Souls discourse is how it's gone in the shitter after escaping GameFAQS.

The only time i've seen you make something resembling a positive comment on a game was Halo of all things lmao.

This is why, even if we disagree on some things, I never discount Swarm's opinion entirely.

5h7mxc.jpg

It's always the same argument of "you expect too much from one of the biggest gaming companies in the world".

Mr. Matty's "Calling Fallout 4 a bad game is just disrespectful", but it's a million people.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Sonic. Beth fans just enjoy bad games. From fans are overzealous, but ultimately harmless. Sonic fans get arrested for raping the elderly.
Martin's pretty deep into incest himself..
One of the funniest things about Souls discourse is how it's gone in the shitter after escaping GameFAQS.
That is sadly true. I miss the days when it felt special to find someone streaming Demon's souls because it was so hard to do. I remember trying to coop with friends streaming and it never working out. It was a wld time.
Mr. Matty's "Calling Fallout 4 a bad game is just disrespectful", but it's a million people.
I'm okay with disrespecting From. They're the poster child of the potential Olympic athlete who becomes a crack whore in high school. I really like the Academy, Godskin apos is one of my favourite bosses in any souls games and Astel is one of the best enemy designs ever but it's all sitting in a pile of horse shit. I was fighting Astel yesterday and he teleports away, lock on breaks and he grabs me and one hits me. So instead of enjoying one of the best bosses From ever designed you're constantly worried the camera will break and you will get 1 shot. That's what bothers me so much about Elden Ring. If you cut it all back and made it like the dark souls games it would have some great moments and I could look past the flaws more. But they keep repeating the same mistakes and then building on top of those mistakes. Astels grab never should have broken lock on. Revenants should not teleport, break lock on and immediately spam you with a hard to dodge combo but they do.

I enjoy Doom more than I enjoy Halo on average. But Halo has the potential to be more fun with it's sandbox design. I feel about Elden Ring the same way I feel about Destiny 2, Halo infinite and Doom Eternal. They all have good games buried in so much shit it ruins the experience. Nu Bungie is getting very close to Nu From in terms of being a bad developer using a good developers old name. Not quite 343 yet but they're not far off with how they approach fan feedback (i.e. ignore it and insult the fans for wanting basic game fixes).

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Judging by some of the posters here in this thread (hell swarm) I can't imagine a more autistic and toxic fandom than from soft fans.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I think it's funny Vic is stalking me because I laugh at him for being a Bethestard and he wants to talk about being autistic and toxic. He only played Elden ring for 2 weeks and doesn't like it so he's not here to discuss the game lol.

Loretta is also a cool boss. She's well designed for the most part and I liked fighting her in the early game.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I played the game for 3 days for a total of 13 hours iirc before I opted out of the absolutely horrendous open world design.

Stop making shit up about me.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I made a new build for the arena because I levelled my old RL 139 to 168 for invasions. He still needs to run through the DLC to get crafting recipes but otherwise he's finished. This dude is a steam roller when he's wielding his executioner's greataxe:

UK60z9W.png

Hell Swarm

Learned
There's been some difficulty adjustments to the base game with the DLC.

In Mogh's palace when you go into the dark cave there used to be a a blood dumpling who would always spin you to death the moment it saw you. Was really hard to dodge and he's been replaced with a blood noble instead. Not sure which patch did it but it's a big drop in difficulty and removed an ambush which is a shame.

The Tree avatar in the hali tree is now able to enter the gate between it and the grace. Used to be stuck outside but not any more. Not a big deal since a grace will reset it but it's still a change. Harder to cheese with leeshing though.

Any one else notice any small changes like this?

Does any one want to recommend some faith weapons for doing the DLC? Looking for something that isn't a katana or a large thrusting sword. I'm going to use the spira spells and Mesmer magic with black flame toss. My build so far has been switching between black flame toss for holy resistant enemies and spamming the ever loving fuck out of sacred blade for ones not. I could do more damage buffing with sacred blade and going full poker but I'm trying to force different playing styles. It's not about being optimal, it's about forcing a non-dex melee playing style and seeing what dumb stuff I can do with it.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Does any one want to recommend some faith weapons for doing the DLC? Looking for something that isn't a katana or a large thrusting sword. I'm going to use the spira spells and Mesmer magic with black flame toss. My build so far has been switching between black flame toss for holy resistant enemies and spamming the ever loving fuck out of sacred blade for ones not. I could do more damage buffing with sacred blade and going full poker but I'm trying to force different playing styles. It's not about being optimal, it's about forcing a non-dex melee playing style and seeing what dumb stuff I can do with it.
There aren't a ton of pure faith weapons added by the DLC. One that springs to mind is the Barbed Staff-Spear. Its very off-meta but it would thematically fit what you're going for. It has a solid one-handed moveset and respectable AR on a faith build. The Shadow Sunflower is also a fantastic colossal weapon that scales primarily with faith that I have used extensively. Depending on your build you may not have enough STR to one hand it (It needs 26), but its worth considering as it looks really cool, hits hard, and has a strong ash of war.

Another strong option is the weapon I used to kill Radahn, the Black Steel Greathammer. That weapon is very powerful when sacred infused and it pairs well with either sacred blade or prayerful strike. Its a bit short but it hits like a truck.

Of course there's also all the infuseable weapons that can be made sacred or flame art (sacred is better for the DLC, except against the big flower). What ones you pick would depend on how you like to play. The fire knight's greatsword is worth mentioning but I found I used my Zweihander more because of all the fire knights. I don't know what level you want to play at but for a 150 going for 60 vig, 26 mind 25 endurance and 60 faith will leave you enough points to throw the rest into strength and dex for the requirements on a couple of good weapons, while still giving you a solid amount of faith behind your sacred seal. If you're doing more melee than casting then just 50 faith is enough and you could have more endurance and less mind.

Edit: The sword of light is a str/fth weapon, but its ash gives a minute-long 20% boost to holy damage. It is a body buff, so it stacks with golden vow (which is an aura buff). Using these together along with the holy shrouding cracked tear (20% boost to holy damage in PvE, 12.5% in PvP) will give your spells a stupendous boost in damage and also give a good buff to any sacred infused weapons you are using (which end up with very roughly two thirds holy damage). This is practical to do before a boss fight, and doesn't require a complicated buffing routine. Just drink physick, golden vow, then sword ash and soft swap the sword away.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I did not want to post before because I wanted to build my own opinion about the DLC.

I've reached the last area of the DLC and unfortunately I think SOTE is absolute garbage. Banal, boring, formulaic shit.

The world design is retarded - designed in way to obfuscate exploration - and most open world areas are empty shit.

The new NPCs, the crafting system and scadutree fragments are just superfluous crap intended to hide the fact that the basic systems are mostly unchanged. Ashes of war combat is a low-skill system. Every retard in this game is spamming some form of weapon art.

Scadutree fragments system is retarded. They needed a way to ramp up the difficulty but the truth is: the game is piss easy once you get over lvl100. Also the original game was completly unbalanced around Farum Azula, SOTE is completly unbalanced from the start.

Most bosses are trash. The biggest problem is that they are not fun. They are not even hard, they are just tedious. What the fuck happened!? FromSW cannot design a good boss anymore. I cannot believe saying this but Malenia is stellar compared with this SOTE shit.

I'm probably beyond my expiration date but SOTE is the first FromSW I absolute hate playing. I played the shit of all DaS games but this is the only one I cannot do anymore. I checked out of the entire experience.

Fuck.

Hell Swarm

Learned
There aren't a ton of pure faith weapons added by the DLC. One that springs to mind is the Barbed Staff-Spear. Its very off-meta but it would thematically fit what you're going for. It has a solid one-handed moveset and respectable AR on a faith build. The Shadow Sunflower is also a fantastic colossal weapon that scales primarily with faith that I have used extensively. Depending on your build you may not have enough STR to one hand it (It needs 26), but its worth considering as it looks really cool, hits hard, and has a strong ash of war.
The spear I was looking at. I don't care about meta, I just want something different to what I've been doing. It's an exploration play through.
Edit: The sword of light is a str/fth weapon, but its ash gives a minute-long 20% boost to holy damage. It is a body buff, so it stacks with golden vow (which is an aura buff). Using these together along with the holy shrouding cracked tear (20% boost to holy damage in PvE, 12.5% in PvP) will give your spells a stupendous boost in damage and also give a good buff to any sacred infused weapons you are using (which end up with very roughly two thirds holy damage). This is practical to do before a boss fight, and doesn't require a complicated buffing routine. Just drink physick, golden vow, then sword ash and soft swap the sword away.
Not going to stack buffs. I'm using golden vow only for buffs because it fits the using different things motive and balances the increased hp of coop bosses.

The world design is retarded - designed in way to obfuscate exploration - and most open world areas are empty shit.
Sums up the open world nicely. Even though Ubisoft's designs aren't much better the constant things to do every where makes the world feel fuller even if it's reused content effectively.
Most bosses are trash. The biggest problem is that they are not fun. They are not even hard, they are just tedious. What the fuck happened!? FromSW cannot design a good boss anymore. I cannot believe saying this but Malenia is stellar compared with this SOTE shit.
After going back to Malenia last night I appreciated how balanced she was compared to a lot of SOTE stuff. There's a lot of awful design in the DLC and it's made the base game more tolerable but it's still not where the series should have gone.

The base game is also broken in several places by the DLC now. The new lighting system completely destroys a few locations. Farum's tornados look like complete shit when a shadow falls on them. It's pretty awful TBH.

Another thing I noticed is the DLC's multiplayer AI now applies to most bosses in the base game. Their target switching is a lot smoother and they also have the problem where they will clearly be targeting something then attack something else. Phantom swords are especially noticeable where they will lock onto player 1/a spirit ash and then shoot off at a completely different target. It's really awful to look at too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That to me just demonstrates that you are both retarded. Doom > Halo to such a degree it's comical to even believe otherwise.

I'm sorry, but not altogether surprised, that you weren't invited to any Halo LAN parties back in the day.

I never even had a console and none of my friends had one either. Halo was trash for that reason alone, Bungie betraying their PC fanbase because Microsoft made them an offer they couldn't refuse (except they could have). Fuck them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom