Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Stoned Ape

Savant
I've been trying Dragon Waifu Florissax in NG+ (going to finish off getting the rest of the achievements I missed first time through) and she seems somewhat useful post-patch. She's using her incantations much more frequently (especially Dragon Claw) and rarely seems to wade into melee with her pool noodle of non-smiting like she used to. I've only really been using her to help clear big groups of mobs quickly but she couldn't manage that before.

I've not felt the need to summon her for any bosses so far, my character just melts them because I'm over levelled for the base game.

Odoryuk

Educated
Is this build viable for the DLC?

TL;DR - Dual staff of loss night mage

I'm unable to defeat the final boss of the DLC. Maybe this can help me. Who knows. Any hint?

The thing that, I think, helped me the most, was equipping Marika's braid for the second phase, which boosts your holy defence.
I spent so much time at the finall boss I'm too ashamed to admit the exact numbers, and not a single thing I tried made it easy, you just have to persevere.

Silverfish

Arbiter
No choice is wrong.

Debatable. If From genuinely took that approach, there wouldn't have been nerfs to weapons or spells over the game's lifespan. The discussion surrounding Radahn's difficulty would be moot since anyone could fall back on the perfume trick to beat him easily.

Odoryuk

Educated
Debatable. If From genuinely took that approach, there wouldn't have been nerfs to weapons or spells over the game's lifespan. The discussion surrounding Radahn's difficulty would be moot since anyone could fall back on the perfume trick to beat him easily.
They are free to fix obvious exploits

Hell Swarm

Learned
No choice is wrong.

If you pay attention to these ass pickles lately you will notice there's a new meme going around since the DLC. "Upsetting the dark souls purists". Where basically you act like a total retard and get upset that people pointed out you cheeses bosses and so you have to make 4 hour Youtube essays on how YOU'RE TOTALLY HECKING VALID AND SO IS YOUR GENDER IDENTITY. It's basically a bunch of losers who can't play a game to save their lives validating themselves because... They need hecking validation okay!?

It's pretty fucking sad.

And yet they still haven't fixed leeshing enemies in what... 6 games now?

Odoryuk

Educated
And yet they still haven't fixed leeshing enemies in what... 6 games now?
They author the experience and they decide what follows their intentions and what doesn't. A rotting dog that deals 999999 damage a frame was not following that intention and it was fixed, so is 999999 damaging perfume bottle.
I have no idea what leeshing enemies is, though

Silverfish

Arbiter

This is getting comedically arbitrary. You should use everything at your disposal, but the game isn't balanced around summons. All choices are valid, but some should be nerfed because they're too strong.

If you pay attention to these ass pickles lately you will notice there's a new meme going around since the DLC. "Upsetting the dark souls purists". Where basically you act like a total retard and get upset that people pointed out you cheeses bosses and so you have to make 4 hour Youtube essays on how YOU'RE TOTALLY HECKING VALID AND SO IS YOUR GENDER IDENTITY. It's basically a bunch of losers who can't play a game to save their lives validating themselves because... They need hecking validation okay!?

It's pretty fucking sad.

Which would be fine if the attitude was "Yes, I cheesed the game because it's more fun that way, like using the cheat menu from the old GTA and Saint's Row games." It's not like abusing overpowered stuff precludes a more skillful run later on, but we all seem really dedicated to the lie this time around.

I have no idea what leeshing enemies is, though

We know you don't.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is getting comedically arbitrary. You should use everything at your disposal, but the game isn't balanced around summons. All choices are valid, but some should be nerfed because they're too strong.
Ok, so now "fixing bugs" is "getting comedically arbitrary". What timeline is this?

Odoryuk

Educated
They are providing the choices for you, and when they make mistakes in these choices, they fix them. Nothing contradicts my message about choice here.

It's not like abusing overpowered stuff precludes a more skillful run later on, but we all seem really dedicated to the lie this time around.
That's one of the secrets of the replayability their games have. A novice can beat the game at SL300, and they still will have a lot of troubles with bosses and locations, having no healing left and very little HP when they defeat a boss, and this will help them get better at the game later. Don't act like novices just read guides on meta builds and mop the floor with all the bosses, this rarely happens

Silverfish

Arbiter
Ok, so now "fixing bugs" is "getting comedically arbitrary". What timeline is this?

Fixing bugs is fine if we're talking about performance issues or something, but getting bent out of shape because a weapon is really good is just silly in this game where 'all choices are valid and you should use everything at your disposal.'

Don't act like novices just read guides on meta builds and mop the floor with all the bosses, this rarely happens

Oh okay, we're back to pretending that people don't use guides extensively even though Elden Ring guides are so ubiquitous that they can even be found on Sports Illustrated.

Odoryuk

Educated
Fixing bugs is fine if we're talking about performance issues or something, but getting bent out of shape because a weapon is really good is just silly in this game where 'all choices are valid and you should use everything at your disposal.'
That perfume bottle was not just really good, stop pretending it was intended at first. Having a weapon this bust actually lessens the choice, because after a certain amount of discrepancy in damage there will be only choice between good single weapon (with bust damage) and other weapons which will be considered a challenge run. And there's things like that in their games, but it's no always a single weapon that outdids others, and you geniunly can have different experience with different weapons without dumbing it down to just damage numbers and percieved challenge.
Oh okay, we're back to pretending that people don't use guides extensively even though Elden Ring guides are so ubiquitous that they can even be found on Sports Illustrated.
A novice that uses guides won't be able to mop floor with most bosses, even with the best gear. Back in the days when magic was OP, novices still struggled with Demon's Souls, casting their fire storms and getting wrecked in process

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

You have to realize this is an insane take, come on. If a weapon is bugged, it's not "really good". It's bugged. All choices are valid, but obviously only within the parameters set by the developers. Arguing that somehow this isn't true because they fixed a bug is on Hell Swarm's level of insanity.

Silverfish

Arbiter
stop pretending it was intended at first

I didn't say it was intended, just that once the exploit was discovered, it should have been left if we're serious that every option is on the table. Having a tactical nuke for struggling players doesn't seem unreasonable to me if we drop the pretense of ER being a skill-based game.

Having a weapon this bust actually lessens the choice, because after a certain amount of discrepancy in damage there will be only choice between good single weapon (with bust damage) and other weapons which will be considered a challenge run.

And? That's always been the case.

A novice that uses guides won't be able to mop floor with most bosses, even with the best gear. Back in the days when magic was OP, novices still struggled with Demon's Souls, casting their fire storms and getting wrecked in process

Demon's Souls =/= Elden Ring.

You have to realize this is an insane take, come on.

"Actually, it was good that Bethesda removed spell crafting from The Elder Scrolls."

Dr1f7

Scholar
kinda sad that they aren't going to make more xpacs for this game
really think the game deserves at least one or two more large xpacs before they make the new one

Hell Swarm

Learned
From fixing a bug is arbitrary. There are plenty of bugs they completely ignore and half broken shit all over the Souls games. Dark souls 1 remastered didn't even fix the resonance system and that game had 3 releases (4 technically).

So yes, bug fixing is arbitrary because From leave random shit broken and fix other stuff and we have no idea what is intended and is laziness.

Odoryuk

Educated
Having a tactical nuke for struggling players doesn't seem unreasonable to me if we drop the pretense of ER being a skill-based game.
Giving struggling players a tactical nuke obviously was not their intention

Odoryuk

Educated
Dark souls 1 remastered didn't even fix the resonance system and that game had 3 releases (4 technically).
I dislike their decision to step away from small weird interactions that they added to Dark Souls 1. Stuff like ringing bells, petrified statues of real players near basilisk infected areas. This resonance system was technically pitiful and didn't affect gameplay at all, frankly, but it was beautiful to see a random miracle ring in the wild. It just tied the whole world together, someone casted a miracle and it resonated into your world, and your miracles will resonate into worlds of others, it was beautiful. Wish they returned to this (also tail cuts, they obviously are not afraid players missing entire locations in their games, so why fear if someone will miss a weapon permanently if they kill a boss without cutting its tail?)

Hell Swarm

Learned
Utterly irrelevant drivel.

Did From fix the broken system? No. They left it to rot. It wasn't fixed in the PC release, the remaster or the Switch release which is a hybrid of the two. And that's not counting multiple patches. So From fixing broken things is arbitrary because many systems are broken in From games and never fixed.

Odoryuk

Educated
Utterly irrelevant drivel.

Did From fix the broken system? No. They left it to rot. It wasn't fixed in the PC release, the remaster or the Switch release which is a hybrid of the two. And that's not counting multiple patches. So From fixing broken things is arbitrary because many systems are broken in From games and never fixed.
It never worked in the first place and they just didn't give a damn about it

Hell Swarm

Learned
Elden ring is the poster child of artificial difficulty. Bosses having multiple phases where they intentionally punish the previous safe strategy just to drag the game out longer is the exact thing people said they didn't want. It's all artificial difficulty in place of quality boss design that's challenging but fair all the way through.

notpl

Arbiter
Is this build viable for the DLC?

TL;DR - Dual staff of loss night mage

I'm unable to defeat the final boss of the DLC. Maybe this can help me. Who knows. Any hint?

My hint for the final boss is to parry him and crit him with a fully upgraded misericorde and items that boost that. This is especially effective for magic builds because dual-damage infused weapons give very big crit numbers.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Elden ring is the poster child of artificial difficulty.

The best part is that the community can't decide if this is true or not. Elden Ring is absurdly difficult... if you try to play it like Dark Souls (but not DS2). You're supposed to use everything on offer to mitigate the difficulty, but be warned that the game isn't balanced around summons, even though they're an available option. Additionally, if something you're using is too good, it might be nerfed since it's going against From's intended design, which would imply that there are meant to be some limits to your power, but also not really.

abija

Prophet
Bosses having multiple phases where they intentionally punish the previous safe strategy
What a bunch of nefarious scumbags. Imagine designing a multi phase boss and trying to add variety to it. Absolute lack of humanity.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get what this argument is about. If you are surprised that an open world game lets you get ahead of the power curve (unless it resorts to stuff like scaling enemies to your level) then you are too young to be on this forum. What gets annoying, and I can sympathise with, is when the player's efforts to control the difficulty get in the way of immersion into the game world. If I want to check out what's over there I don't want to worry that I'm already too overlevelled as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom