Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Mauman

Scholar
you triggered me.
I know. You're a queer and I'm an alpha chad. Little sissy boys like you always try to hug my nuts.
You talking about triggers has got to be the funniest thing in this thread. A real kettle calling the pot black moment.

At this point, I basically come back here just to laugh at your next retardoland take.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Elden ring is the poster child of artificial difficulty.

The best part is that the community can't decide if this is true or not. Elden Ring is absurdly difficult... if you try to play it like Dark Souls (but not DS2). You're supposed to use everything on offer to mitigate the difficulty, but be warned that the game isn't balanced around summons, even though they're an available option. Additionally, if something you're using is too good, it might be nerfed since it's going against From's intended design, which would imply that there are meant to be some limits to your power, but also not really.

The game cannot be balanced around summons because that would make solo play impossible and would go against the point of summons (which is to make the game easier).

The same applies to powerful gear, which in a game with non-linear progression is impossible to factor in since the developers can't predict what kind of tools the player is going to show up with. And much like with summons, if the game was balanced to factor is stuff like Comet Azur it would make anything lesser completely unviable and would go against the point of a spell like that (it's an advanced spell of course it should feel powerful do you guys even know how mages work in fantasy settings?).

Hell Swarm

Learned
They are, yes. I and millions of other people have beaten every game in the franchise without issue, so there's obviously nothing critical going wrong. In hundreds of hours cumulatively put into these games I have spent maybe ten minutes being annoyed at the camera. That is an acceptable rate of failure.
The player dying to a CORE MECHANIC BREAKING in a situation where it should never break and has been solved by other games since the PS1 era is a critical failure. It's akin to your breaks failing in a car in terms of game design. And it's solvable and it's not been solved by From. What possible argument can you have for not giving infinite lock on range during boss fights? They're 1 on 1 with a single other thing in the room. There's never a reason for lock on to break and a boss to hit you from off camera.
Camera option 1 : You lock on and the game randomly breaks your lock on during some boss fights despite it being a 1 on 1 fight and there being no reason for lock on to fail in that situation
It breaks due to range, boss mechanics or a motion that would turn it too fast. All are pretty good reasons.

Camera option 2 : You don't lock on and the thumb you use to roll now has to manually control the camera.
Should I go search for those Halo posts of yours? You're spinning so hard in your own lies you could win a spintop competition.
"The game breaking is good. Cause er... From game!"

Prove me wrong faggot. Right thumb is right stick and the face buttons. Which are your heal and dodge buttons. I'm not even the first to point this out.
The same applies to powerful gear, which in a game with non-linear progression is impossible to factor in since the developers can't predict what kind of tools the player is going to show up with
Lyric, you are a real gem of retardation. They can predict what you have and they do predict it. That's why the first boss you fight isn't fire giant and the last one isn't Soldier of Godrick. Very few players end up with broken builds early game but you're going to talk complete garbage as always because you're too autistic to understand game design or testing and balancing around it.

Come on From drones. You're looking so fucking sad at this point. At least TRY to make an argument that isn't gargling slant eyed jism.

Hell Swarm

Learned
The player dying to a CORE MECHANIC BREAKING
Bro level up VIT
Oh hey it's From drone defense force argument number 753! Just level Vit and that solves the problems of dragon bosses using fire attacks you can't see coming because the cameras up their assholes. Totally not a bad game problem, you just need to over level yourself to fight... enemies outside the starting area tutorial. That's a solid argument if I ever heard one! Why fix the camera when RPG stats, am I right fellow drones?

abija

Prophet
"The game breaking is good. Cause er... From game!"
We know you are retarded, try to tone it down a bit though. Target lock breaks, not the game.

Prove me wrong faggot. Right thumb is right stick and the face buttons. Which are your heal and dodge buttons. I'm not even the first to point this out.
I don't play with gamepad but to quote a true legend 1% player:

You can't hit the jump button with your thumb on the right stick? Guess you have girly hands then don't you? lol I repeat because you don't understand.

At minimum on the modern controller you have access to L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5 a left analog stick and a right analog stick all without moving a single finger from it's default positioning. That's 10 buttons you can use at all times without having to move your hand off another function. Everyone knows a keyboard has more buttons than a controller but access to those buttons is superior on the controller because it's designed to have you use multiple at once so you don't have to lose 1 button to gain another. I played through Elden ring DLC on the steam deck and used L4 for blocking but I must be lying because you're upset I keep proving you wrong and you're desperate to defend your e peen lol. I've also bound jump to those buttons in the past in different games depending on how camera heavy the game is. They're quite useful.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Target lock breaks, not the game.
Ah yes, the tactic of being psychic. Just.. know when an attack is coming even though you can't see it and From intentionally delay attacks to punish you rolling too early.

The camera is the game. If the camera is breaking the game is breaking. And if that kills the player through no fault of their own it's artificial difficulty AND it's a failure of even basic game design.

abija

Prophet
The camera isn't breaking, the target lock function has certain parameters. It works up to a distance (makes sense and certainly doesn't kill you), it can be used as encounter mechanic (sinner) or breaks when following the target would generate abnormal camera movements (probably to not disorient the player).

And you still need to point to an actual example where you can't see what the enemy is doing and it kills you. Nameless King fight is perfectly fine with the camera mechanics provided by the game.

abija

Prophet
"I took damage from an off screen attack due to camera issues but that's perfectly fine"
From drone.
I was deliberately positioned in a way to be behind the head of the dragon so how much the boss is visible was completely on me. I also knew the hit was coming but wanted to trade. Are you arguing From should override my intentions and force the boss always in view? How would that even work?

Considering you call the camera a "serious flaw" of the game, you should have no issue providing actual examples to prove your point.
Or at the very least point to some implementations that solved these issues that plague action games since forever (because they are designed for shitty gamepads).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All games have "flaws". There isn't a single game in existence that doesn't have a bit of jank in it. Not that it matters when you are talking to someone who thinks there isn't an aspect of the game that isn't a "serious flaw", even things which are close to being near perfect.

notpl

Arbiter
They are, yes. I and millions of other people have beaten every game in the franchise without issue, so there's obviously nothing critical going wrong. In hundreds of hours cumulatively put into these games I have spent maybe ten minutes being annoyed at the camera. That is an acceptable rate of failure.
The player dying to a CORE MECHANIC BREAKING in a situation where it should never break and has been solved by other games since the PS1 era is a critical failure. It's akin to your breaks failing in a car in terms of game design. And it's solvable and it's not been solved by From. What possible argument can you have for not giving infinite lock on range during boss fights? They're 1 on 1 with a single other thing in the room. There's never a reason for lock on to break and a boss to hit you from off camera.
ER does give infinite lock-on range, though. It breaks automatically where it thinks you might benefit from not being locked on anymore, since the boss is leaving the arena or something, but you can just press the button again to lock on to the Elden Beast or Bayle or whatever without incident. I genuinely have no idea what you're complaining about here. I guess I could see taking umbrage with the game making that assumption, from a UX standpoint? But it takes a momentary twitch of your thumb to turn it back on, and it genuinely is helpful to not lock on to bosses in some instances.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Are you arguing From should override my intentions and force the boss always in view? How would that even work?
Are you arguing the lock on feature should randomly break on you because er... just because it does okay? If you want it to break you push the button to break it. Other wise it should stay locked on until the enemy is dead.
It breaks automatically where it thinks you might benefit from not being locked on anymore
Locking onto the boss is a player choice. The game forcing it to break for any reason is simply wrong. If I want to lock on then I should stay locked on. It's an essential part of using a shield and it breaking randomly is not acceptable.

Reddit complaining about the camera
Steam community complaining about the camera
GameFAQS complaining about the camera

I can find more but this is from 2017. From had 5 years to fix the camera for large enemies and they didn't. So.. Who wants to defend this retarded shit? Seriously.

Odoryuk

Educated
Are you arguing From should override my intentions and force the boss always in view? How would that even work?
Are you arguing the lock on feature should randomly break on you because er... just because it does okay? If you want it to break you push the button to break it. Other wise it should stay locked on until the enemy is dead.
It breaks automatically where it thinks you might benefit from not being locked on anymore
Locking onto the boss is a player choice. The game forcing it to break for any reason is simply wrong. If I want to lock on then I should stay locked on. It's an essential part of using a shield and it breaking randomly is not acceptable.

I can find more but this is from 2017. From had 5 years to fix the camera for large enemies and they didn't. So.. Who wants to defend this retarded shit? Seriously.
After a while this phase of the fight will be incredibly easy to the point where you don't think about it. Which is good because phase 2 is a trip
My man Cvdf3- knows what's up

abija

Prophet
But it doesn't break randomly. And having it break instead of having your camera spin all over because a fast enemy or ability make the lock point go suddenly behind you is certainly preferable. You also have control over this behavior with your positioning.
Same for range indicating you're probably not going to reach with any spell or other ability.

Those are conscious implementation decisions, not random bugs.

"Just fix it bro."
The fix is using both lock and free camera versus big enemies because there's no fix to having a horrible view from some positions when you lock to a specific point of a huge body.

Hell Swarm

Learned
After a while you don't even taste the shit any more! Why do you care if I take a dump in your sandwich!?

The fix is using both lock and free camera versus big enemies because there's no fix to having a horrible view from some positions when you lock to a specific point of a huge body.
And yet Gundam Breaker 4 just came out with large enemies and the camera and lock on there works fine. Never breaks and never shows you a butthole.

Gee. I wonder why people think From fanboys are fucking retarded.

notpl

Arbiter

It seems like it breaks in specific situations, rather than "randomly," and for a purpose.

abija

Prophet
And yet Gundam Breaker 4 just came out with large enemies and the camera and lock on there works fine. Never breaks and never shows you a butthole.

Gee. I wonder why people think From fanboys are fucking retarded.

You mean a camera that constantly adjusts distance zooming in and out, a very mobile character that can attack an enemy from most positions making the lock on a lot more flexibile? There are huge tradeoffs there, do you really think something like this would work in souls? https://youtu.be/5Fm4fZFzUOM?t=4191.

I'm gonna take an exteremely wild guess and say the company that also made armored core could decide which one fits better which game.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The game cannot be balanced around summons because that would make solo play impossible and would go against the point of summons (which is to make the game easier).

You're hyper-focusing on online co-op. Spirit ashes are also summons.

(it's an advanced spell of course it should feel powerful do you guys even know how mages work in fantasy settings?).

Yes, I know how mages work. I'm the guy saying broken shit is fine.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm re playing ER and want to play as a Night Mage RP build. Recommend a good backup sword, preferentially curved(katana, scimitar, etc). I used Moonlight Dark Moon Greatsword in my normal mage run. But it would't fit aesthetically my self insert char.

notpl

Arbiter
I'm re playing ER and want to play as a Night Mage RP build. Recommend a good backup sword, preferentially curved(katana, scimitar, etc). I used Moonlight Dark Moon Greatsword in my normal mage run. But it would't fit aesthetically my self insert char.
The DLC has quite a few new ones. I like the star-lined sword, but the freezing perfume bottle and the new eternal-sleep sword are also great backup weapons for a mage.

Stoned Ape

Savant
From the base game:
Bandit's Curved Sword can be farmed very early on and is a decent option for low attribute investment (11 STR, 13 Dex. So could be 2 handed with 8 STR). Can be buffed with Magic Weapon or blade grease.
Bloodhound's Fang is great for damage with capacity to carry you a long way if you put in the attributes to wield it. As a Somber Weapon it's really easy to upgrade it to +4 early and be ahead of the power curve that way. Can also be buffed.
Moonveil is still absurdly strong and can be reached relatively early if you can beat the boss guarding it.

A bit later on:
A Keen Scavenger's Curved Sword if you're already putting a chunk of points into Dex to reduce casting times. Can be buffed.
Wing of Astel's Ash of War is very strong for an Int based character. Weapon looks goofy as hell IMO.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom