Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Anonona

Learned
I'm pretty sure the fact you can't roll through the bomb is why they do it. Even Vow of the Indomitable doesn't last long enough, which is why i had to then follow that up with a roll to survive the whole thing.
The meteor? You can roll it, but have to do it twice and time it. The Vow is a better method quite honestly.

I mean even the accusation that i'm only able to do what i'm doing because of my "build" implies there is something inaccessible about my set up for people who chose a different character progression, but if it's just a matter of swapping gear around, i don't see where the limitation is.
Is not about limitations, just people have different strategies and loadouts, that is all.

Yeah i saw that but to me it just seems like the opposite extreme and it usually seems to come from a place of jealousy and sour grapes more than anything else.
I see it differently. People are tired of being told they play their games wrong or that they shouldn't use good options or mechanics because they have a chip on their shoulders about it. There are also many more new players for ER, like a lot, who don't give a shit about that "git gud" mindset and get angry for being told how to play. Finally, it is also an argument against complains about the game being "too hard", pointing out how giving up so many tools is making the game unnecessarily hard for the complainers. without mentioning that limiting yourself to base attacks and/or AoW and just rolling/jumping is quite boring, like playind DMC and using the basic combo and dodging only; it may get the job done, but is not very fun nor the best way to play.

I'm not opposed to getting good, and i like to get good myself. It's just that this emphasis on always doing things the hardest way possible is a bit monotous.
Agree, I consider that having multiple tools at one's disposal and adapting is one of the most fun ways of playing Souls in particular and RPG and action games in general. I hope next game they make levels harder and encourage players to use multiple weapons and tools. Lord of the Fallen had a cool system where ranged ammunition recharged at "bonfires" and made ranged weapons an important part of your arsenal, designing bosses and encounters around it regardless if you played casters or fighters. Would be neat if From tried something similar, Sekiro kind of already has it with the ninja tools.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
For real? Now i'm compelled to try it.

A video of a player doing it, though if you want to figure out the timing by yourself you can choose not to watch it.

When i even saw Ongbal running away from it i just assumed it wasn't possible.

I don't know if he still uses the run method in his newer videos, but I know he used it on the early ones, so maybe he doesn't do it now. I don't blame him though, being among the first to do the fight no damage RL1, before good strategies were discovered is hard enough, the run strategy is just consistent and safe. In those videos he also was very careful about attacking from behind to avoid Radhan turning around too fast, specially because of the low visibility and the possibility of him using the fast slash, slash, cross combo. I imagine that with the relative short time he had to practice the fight, having a no hit run ended because of that had to be frustrating.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Can we all agree Lyric is probably using cheats and hacks? We know he's modifying the game to repeatedly fight the bosses which means he's hacking the game. It's not a pure experience, so he's obviously cheating and his tiny e-peen internet attitude makes him the prime suspect for cheating. It's just so obvious to me and he's such a faggot he'd gloat about it on the internet thinking we wouldn't notice lol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We know he's modifying the game to repeatedly fight the bosses

It's called copy and paste of the save game folder moron. Save method people normally use to unlock all the endings and their achievements in one playthrough.

This cope about people cheating is something that i noticed making the rounds in the steam forums. People are so unable to deal with the fact there may be people out there who are better than they are at something they have to invent stupid shit to make themselves feel better about their own shortcomings. So the "pros" just cheat, or are people with no life so of course they can master the game! They are just autistic losers! Unlike yourself right? All the scrubs who couldn't get good are swimming in pussy in real life while people like Ongbal do what they do because they are lonley virgins is that it?

The funny thing is that with an argument like that they actually reveal how much they suck at the game because anybody who understands how the bosses work should be able to tell rightaway if someone is "cheating" or not.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I imagine that with the relative short time he had to practice the fight, having a no hit run ended because of that had to be frustrating.

Fextra just gave up and took damage in his video guide. That doesn't work with zero scadutree blessings even if i wanted to swallow my pride like that because he can one shot you with that attack.

Ongbal had to use the Sekiro hardtear to deflect it to do a no-hit on the video i watched.

Anyway i was checking how to downgrade the game and it seems it is kinda of a convoluted process:

https://rentry.co/eldenring_downgrade/

Hell Swarm

Learned

It's called copy and paste of the save game folder moron.

This cope about people cheating is something that i noticed making the rounds in the steam forums. People are so unable to deal with the fact there may be people out there who are better than they are at something they have to invent stupid shit to make themselves feel better about their own shortcomings. So the "pros" just cheat, or are people with no life so of course they can master the game! They are just autistic losers! Unlike yourself right? All the scrubs who couldn't get good are swimming in pussy in real life while people like Ongbal do what they do because they are lonley virgins is that it?
You're an autistic loser using cheats for youtube videos no one will watch. We know you're hacking the game faggot. Admit it. None of your videos are legit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

It's called copy and paste of the save game folder moron.

You're an autistic loser using cheats for youtube videos no one will watch. We know you're hacking the game faggot. Admit it. None of your videos are legit.

Dude, just admit you were wrong. The DLC was never that hard if some random boomer in his 40s in an obscure forum could do what you declared couldn't be done. I proved you wrong, accept it and stop trying to save face with this retarded bullshit. I can only assume the reason you didn't get your dumbfuck tag yet is that the mods don't read this sub-forum.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Be quiet cheater. You've admitted to hacking the game and you expect us to take your word for any of the bullshit you posted? I don't think so son. You're a dirty cheater who couldn't even beat Radahn before they nerfed him. How bad do you have to be at the game to need to cheat and need a nerf?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Be quiet cheater. You've admitted to hacking the game and you expect us to take your word for any of the bullshit you posted? I don't think so son. You're a dirty cheater who couldn't even beat Radahn before they nerfed him. How bad do you have to be at the game to need to cheat and need a nerf?

db0.jpg

notpl

Arbiter
Medium Shield guard boost has been improved significantly, some of the better ones have guard boost only a few points below that of the Haligtree Greatshield, Golden Greatshield and Black Iron Greatshield.

Nice to see medium shields getting a buff. Bit confused as to why it's in the DLC. There's basically no reason to use a medium shield with the DLC giving you so many extra levels. I like mediums though so any buff is a welcome one.

Lyrics back to his usual bullshit I see. "I am the best gamer EVER!" and he's not even top 1% like I am lol.
Mediums, uh, block better than lights? If you wanna hide behind a shield while learning an enemy's moveset they'll do the job, light shields not so much. Sure, they don't hold up to the hardest bosses in the game, but there's the other 99.9% of the game to enjoy as well.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Light shields were always redundant in this game because their advantage, better parry frames, is completely voided by stuff like Carian Retaliation or Golden Vow.

Right now, they only have some niche uses, like if you need parry in the early portion of the game, before you can get your hands on the aforementioned Ashes of War, or if you have a light roll build and you can't afford the weight of medium shields, though honestly the difference isn't really that much (guess it would matter most if you are using the Blue Dancer Charm).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Agree, I consider that having multiple tools at one's disposal and adapting is one of the most fun ways of playing Souls in particular and RPG and action games in general.

I've been advocating that that is how Elden Ring should be approached for quite a long time.

It's also part of the fun or RPGs to try things and look for ways to increase efficiency. Like i said, even when i'm intentionally gimping myself, i still prefer to leave some room for optimization, tactics, build variety etc.

I will say it's also interesting to see how many shortcuts you can pull off. Probably somewhat related to the fun people have when doing those speed run challenges. Like when i skipped Messmer's second phase entirely. Sure, i deprived myself of some show of skill but at the same time it was pretty tricky to get all the timings correctly to make sure i was gonna stunlock him to the end. I think that can be interesting as well. If you've seen someone waltz in naked with no talismans doing perfect dodges for three minutes you've seen them all. Ongbal may often be doing things for the sake of showiness but at least it's interesting how he puts to use so many abilities and skills.

Hell Swarm

Learned

db0.jpg
We know you're retarded for real Lyric. You're a cheater and that's why you deny all the problems with From games. They're not real problems if you cheat and can ignore them.
Medium Shield guard boost has been improved significantly, some of the better ones have guard boost only a few points below that of the Haligtree Greatshield, Golden Greatshield and Black Iron Greatshield.

Nice to see medium shields getting a buff. Bit confused as to why it's in the DLC. There's basically no reason to use a medium shield with the DLC giving you so many extra levels. I like mediums though so any buff is a welcome one.

Lyrics back to his usual bullshit I see. "I am the best gamer EVER!" and he's not even top 1% like I am lol.
Mediums, uh, block better than lights? If you wanna hide behind a shield while learning an enemy's moveset they'll do the job, light shields not so much. Sure, they don't hold up to the hardest bosses in the game, but there's the other 99.9% of the game to enjoy as well.
If you're parrying the buckler has a larger window and if you're blocking you have the stats for a great once you hit the DLC and do 2-3 bosses. And the Ant shield bounces every melee weapon while none of the others in the game do. Which makes it objectively the best shield in the game. Once you have a few DLC levels under your belt your choice is getting stance broke by 2 handing strength enemies or watching them bounce off and guard countering them into a stagger. It's not a contest.

Stoned Ape

Savant
If you're parrying the buckler has a larger window.
No, Buckler Parry has 11 parry frames, Carian Retalliation or Golden Parry Ashes of War on any Light or Medium Shield both have 14 parry frames. All of them have the same start up (8 frames).

(I'm pretty sure these values are for 30 FPS, so I think you double the frames for 60 FPS)

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

db0.jpg
We know you're retarded for real Lyric. You're a cheater and that's why you deny all the problems with From games. They're not real problems if you cheat and can ignore them.

If you're parrying the buckler has a larger window and if you're blocking you have the stats for a great once you hit the DLC and do 2-3 bosses. And the Ant shield bounces every melee weapon while none of the others in the game do. Which makes it objectively the best shield in the game. Once you have a few DLC levels under your belt your choice is getting stance broke by 2 handing strength enemies or watching them bounce off and guard countering them into a stagger. It's not a contest.
The difference between buckler parry and carian/golden is almost nonexistent, and Golden is arguably still the better choice - while I think it has a single frame slower startup, it also has a massively increased range, whereas the buckler tends to whiff against a lot of huge boss attacks that demand very specific placement. Malenia's spinning backslash in particular is a fucking nightmare with the buckler but trivial with Golden. And the better medium shields like brass/messmer really are fine for guarding most of the time. I agree some of them are borderline useless, I don't know why the devs thought it prudent to make a few of them so much better than all the others.

They also have lower requirements (even at level 180 my last character wasn't able to equip most greatshields) and look better with certain outfits, which is hugely important.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
>Almost defeat Malenia on the first try.
>Just perfectly panic roll through her thousand cuts BS.
>Fail to replicate the success when trying again. And again...

Classic Fromsoft experience.

Last edited:

Narax

Learned
The dlc is a lot more punishing for melee players than the base game. The horned warriors and dancers are especially annoying to fight. The first boss was quite difficult but I beat him after the fourth try. Can't wait to cleanse the rest of the shadow realm from the hornsent menace.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp. I went with the Simp Ending. I was considering Chadmask Ending but the Elden Beast was so annoying I decided Ranni was right - all this golden tree BS needs to go.

Some loose thoughts:
- Exploration is the best part of the game. Plenty of great moody locations. But also some room for trimming, there is some dull regions.
- Early game is the best. Mechanics just "click" the right way. The further you go, the jankier it feels.
- Linear weapons upgrades add nothing to the game. It only discourages experimenting with various weapons. Weapons +25? Fuck off. Garbage mechanics, get rid of it.
- Some lame enemy scaling. Do we really need stronger wandering nobles in the late game areas? They are not even proper enemies. Why would you give them an upgrade?

It was fine. I enjoyed it overall. It didn't need to be that big.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, so this is what the new Radahn looks like. As epected, it's much easier:

You can read my final opion on the boss and the differences between the pre-nerf and post-nerf version in my concluding post of my let's play.

Ultimately, after spending some time with the post-nerf version, i'll say some of the changes are good but they also went a bit overboard, to the point i'm not sure if the boss is even harder than say, someone like Messmer if you gave the latter the same health pool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom