Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Hell Swarm

Learned
All bosses are easy when you're a cheater Lyric.

Did the new patch fix Patches' quest line yet? Nope. Still unfinished. 2 years to make extra content and their most iconic character is still left without a proper quest line.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
image.png

https://files.catbox.moe/c1k24n.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't forget Ongbal killing the boss naked no-hit with a rusty fork the next day.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was just in a thread with a schizo /v/ user who is planning to sue Fromsoft for Elden Ring being too hard and for them locking content behind a hidden dimension that human beings can't access:
B4ckLRP.png

cvpdaRC.png

The court doc:
https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/M...rester_Waugh_Evan_v._NAMCO_ENTERTAINMENT_INC/

He also wanted to get hired by Fromsoft:
SV0toPg.png

I tried to get some explanation from him but all I got was rants about extra dimensions and shiieeet, lmao
KT2ahcC.png

Odoryuk

Educated
I was just in a thread with a schizo /v/ user who is planning to sue Fromsoft for Elden Ring being too hard and for them locking content behind a hidden dimension that human beings can't access:
B4ckLRP.png

cvpdaRC.png

The court doc:
https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/M...rester_Waugh_Evan_v._NAMCO_ENTERTAINMENT_INC/

He also wanted to get hired by Fromsoft:
SV0toPg.png

I tried to get some explanation from him but all I got was rants about extra dimensions and shiieeet, lmao
KT2ahcC.png
Bait used to be believable

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The dlc is a lot more punishing for melee players than the base game. The horned warriors and dancers are especially annoying to fight. The first boss was quite difficult but I beat him after the fourth try. Can't wait to cleanse the rest of the shadow realm from the hornsent menace.
I think the game just wants you to be as animu as the opponents, ie, use ashes of war with very strong gap closing abilities, or some ranged hit mechanism. The amount of time I used the R2 of Winged Stance that launches you in the air into the enemy might be 1/3 of the amount of times I did normal R1 on the weapon, kek. Something about its animation also got me hit less often than I should have whenever I felt more rushed to finish an area out of boredom and got greedy and spammy.

Many of the newer ashes of war are strong gap closers, this one's just an example, you could use Blinkbolt, Flame Skewer, Savage Lion's Claw or old classics like Giant's Hunt, Square Off r2, Lion's Claw etc.
There's also plenty of unique skills that behave like that in the somber upgrade weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I still think most of those enemies are shit design, I abhorr that shit too but you can make it more palatable by abusing the retarded AI, you're not playing PVP, just backing away from enemies to give some space between you and them and activating gap closers with weapons that have good reach tends to make short work of them. The only thing it doesn't work on is overly agressive bosses, like Radahn, or Putrescent Knight (agressive bosses will always knock you off if you try to take the initiative instead of hitting them at the end of their attack chains). But magic most likely doesn't fare better against those guys anyhow, when backing off to heal I barely have the time to drink a pot before they reach me, so I'm pretty sure you can't just pew pew them from a safe distance either.

After finishing this dlc I must say, it really isn't up to the old standards. Too much empty crap maps, it seems to take a long time to complete so it might give the illusion of being big, but I think Miyazaki wasn't lying when he said it's about the size of Limgrave, there's just an excess of nonsensical verticality making it extremely tedious to traverse and find your way through. I once spent an hour traversing every corner around a map area trying to find the way to get into that place, only to fail, abandon, then many hours later, come to the place I couldn't get into by pure accident all from getting into a ladder in the shadow keep... From's games always had a few areas that were well hidden like secrets but this DLC doesn't really "hide" its stuff (you know the areas exist and they are shown on a map) so much as make the routing of almost every place completely unintuitive, if it was just an area or two I wouldn't complain, just like I didn't complain about the bizarre ritual to get to Archdragon Peak in DS3 (how did people originally find out about THIS?), but in this DLC it feels like almost every map was designed that way, and the game just expects you to hunt every pixel and corner, which is absolutely not fun, particularly when those maps have very little content of any value to do.

You know, most souls games, including most of Elden Ring (which I did multiple NG+ of to get all the main endings), I could fit the main routing in my head pretty easily just playing normally and sort of half speedrun the areas just from my memory. This DLC, on the other hand? I just finished a day ago and I barely remember how I got access to many areas of the map, it's all like a blur in my head right now. If I replayed right now I would feel half lost, thinking "I want to get to this place, which I remember having X boss and items, but I don't remember how to get there".

It's really not defensible. The main game had a switch that allowed you to see underground maps that properly differentiated the mapping of areas that were at a wholly different "level", and that's despite its world being far less reliant on verticality than this one's, whose map might as well be toilet paper for how useful it is in guiding you.

I originally didn't want to play this DLC, but I was bored and there's a lack of good games this year so I ended up buying it on impulse. I almost regret playing it, I think I spent more time bored than having fun with it. I don't even hate the bosses unlike many of the complaints here, except for Radahn, which is drastically overtuned (running on a NG+ character and being at level 15 scadutree blessing, I felt like I was hitting like a wet noodle, and that's on a character build that did a pretty decent, noticeable amount of damage on all other bosses of the DLC. No, by the way, I was not going to hunt for the remaining fragments, fuck that shit seriously it's not my idea of having fun in a video game.).
It's just, I spent too much time, as I predicted, looking at a horse ass, and not that much time actually doing shit that is fun doing. The legacy dungeon encounter design was also surprisingly playing it very safe, most of the encounters being 1vs1 against a few strong enemy types, and 1vs many against /really weak/ garbage. I've actually found a few encounters in the open world, on torrent, more violent and threatening than in all of the legacy dungeons. Like that moment you enter a room full of Kindred of Rot with that very nasty ranged, tracking attack in the northwest area. That really took me by surprise, and I did get killed because I was too used to zipping through everything with torrent in the open world and didn't think anything could kill me until I passed by that place. When I went back, I dismounted and properly engaged with the enemies, and that moment felt more legacy dungeony than most legacy dungeon content of SotE.

I would even go as far as to say the only good legacy dungeon content in this DLC is Enir-Ilim. The level design is nothing special in terms of layout/secrets, but the encounter design is at its most threatening, and I finally felt like I was playing a souls game again with clever enemy placements and groupings, with one part in particular that feels especially designed to mess with people who want to just run past enemies. Unfortunately, it's very short and leads to the most annoying boss of all From games.

The shadow keep is a better dungeon in terms of layout, but in terms of encounters it's as good as a lullaby at bringing you to sleep, except for the water quarter that hides a couple ulcerated tree spirits recycled straight from the main game. You will indeed wake up from your sleep during those encounters, and then go back to the dream world again.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So whats the KKK on the dlc? There is some irregular amount of whining and complaining about it on reddits. Usually its nothing but praise for Fromsoft dlcs.

I played through base game without summons and spirit ashes and beat malenia solo so i think i can take some challenge. I just dont feel like constantly fighting against malenia type bullshit all the time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I rated it 7/10 (scale based on FromSoft standards) in my let's play with bosses being around 8/10 or 9/10, their difficutly in my opinion being largely overstated, especially if you keep up with your scat tree upgrades. With max scadutree upgrades, i don't think even the last boss was anywhere near Malenia's levels of difficutly. I did a no-scadu blessings run and i was still able to outpace the bosses in damage except for Bayle and the last one.

Main issue is the same as in the base game: open world stretched their resources beyond their breaking point and the designers were forced to cut corners, giving certain portions of the game an "incomplete" feeling.

They did try to address some of the criticisms of the original game. For instance, the mini dungeons and caves are lower in number but higher in quality and there aren't many recycled bosses this time around. At the same time the legacy dungeons, while pretty good with some fantastic art design towards the end ended up being shorter than they might have been had they not spend so much time designing the open areas. The open areas for the most part aren't particularly interesting but the world map layout is actually quite clever and harks back to the way the world map was designed in Dark Souls 1.

Story wise, all the lore and archeology stuff is great. All the descriptions of the items is surprisingly coherent and all the stuff they describe is pretty cool and interesting. Less interesting is the main plot and everything related to Miquella. NPCs are also a mixed bag (mostly the female ones which are all boring, and i'm including Thiollier in this group) but there are a few that were pretty memorable, like Igon or Ansbach. Meeting St. Trina was also knewl. Her design is... unique, to say the least.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So whats the KKK on the dlc? There is some irregular amount of whining and complaining about it on reddits. Usually its nothing but praise for Fromsoft dlcs.

I played through base game without summons and spirit ashes and beat malenia solo so i think i can take some challenge. I just dont feel like constantly fighting against malenia type bullshit all the time.

It's mostly the end boss that went a little too far, the other encounters are not all that bad if you use all the tools at your disposal rather than try to play this game like you would a normal Dark Souls. The end boss is really disgusting though and if you asked me which I prefer between Malenia and that.. I prefer Malenia, so... yeah.

The main issue of the DLC is that most of the content is just worthless. Very large empty maps. Mediocre encounter design that doesn't show the cleverness of the previous games. The biggest legacy dungeon style map of the DLC is almost entirely made of 1vs1 encounters against foes of medium difficulty (think, like having a gauntlet of 1vs1 against Black Knight style of opponents), and groups of extremely weak push over type foes, with not much mix up or clever placement. You know, as rushed as the latter areas of Elden Ring were in terms of open world, their legacy dungeon content (Crumbling Farum Azula, Haligtree) were all 3000000000% better than this stupid shadow keep in terms of encounter design. This was so boring and predictable. You go through the storehouse areas and fall asleep at the wheel really. At one point it feels like they want to replicate the tension of walking on a tightrope in Anor Londo by placing a few flying enemies in your path when you're always a few misteps away from falling but it just doesn't work in this game, this isn't Dark Souls 1 with your low regen stamina, mobility and lack of options to deal with enemies, this is Elden Ring.

The last legacy dungeon of the game is pretty decent in terms of encounters.. it's also extremely short.

This DLC isn't the most horrible thing in this world, there's certainly a lot of shitty games out there that outcompete it in shittyness, but does it really come up to the standards of From software? ah, nah.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I would put forward that the DLC is inconstistent, rather than uniformly average. It has hights and lows, and the highs are up there with what we expect from a company like FromSoft.

I think this is what makes it difficult for some of us to "dismiss" Elden Ring as a lot of people claim to have done. It's because if you loved what FromSoft excelled at in their previous games, a lot of that is still there. So the question becomes whether you are willing to miss out on the good on account of the parts that annoy you or whether you can tolerate the bad for the sake of experiencing the good.

It goes without saying i'm in the latter camp. I can probably say if you managed to finish and enjoy Elden Ring you should probably be able to go through the DLC no problem, especially since it's shorter. Elden Ring was likely a bit too large for its own good. The DLC is also kinda of large for a DLC, but taken as its own thing it is definitely more mangable than the original game.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Elden Ring seems like the weakest implementation of Fromsoft's "very unclear oniric mythology whatever BS" story schtick.
They should get out of their comfort zone and try something else. Maybe even something comprehensible.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Elden Ring is an unholy blend of things that don't work well together in terms of lore and atmosphere. The DLC further delves into the weirder parts of ER, ie the lovecraftian stuff and I felt like I was playing bloodborne in some areas. The Abyssal Woods are very much a much inferior, less content packed version of the Forbidden Woods of Bloodborne, replacing most enemies with something like the Winter Lanterns.
Metyr felt like a discount Ebrietas.

ER doesn't have an identity so much as it is Dark Souls + Bloodborne + norse myths and aesthetics.

I would put forward that the DLC is inconstistent, rather than uniformly average. It has hights and lows, and the highs are up there with what we expect from a company like FromSoft.

I think this is what makes it difficult for some of us to "dismiss" Elden Ring as a lot of people claim to have done. It's because if you loved what FromSoft excelled at in their previous games, a lot of that is still there. So the question becomes whether you are willing to miss out on the good on account of the parts that annoy you or whether you can tolerate the bad for the sake of experiencing the good.

It goes without saying i'm in the latter camp. I can probably say if you managed to finish and enjoy Elden Ring you should probably be able to go through the DLC no problem, especially since it's shorter. Elden Ring was likely a bit too large for its own good. The DLC is also kinda of large for a DLC, but taken as its own thing it is definitely more mangable than the original game.
Having spent more time again I think this is a fair enough assessment.

Much like the base ER you get into a good dungeon and you're off to the races, remembering what you love about these games. Then you're back to trudging across an open world that occasionally throws up a nice vista but is ultimately a rather dreary place to spend hours in. I found myself wanting to traverse the map 'honestly' so progression felt earnt but encroaching boredom and the scale of the thing pretty much mandate bonfire-hopping to save time. From did a very good job with overall enemy variety across the base game & DLC but you still end up fighting the same enemies, in the same way and too often by the end. The big open spaces also obviate the positional aspects key to a good non-boss encounter in a Souls title.

Don't think I'll replay it in the absence of new content as I said before. Too much interval time between the good stuff on a replay.

Hell Swarm

Learned
https://www.nexusmods.com/eldenring/mods/2747?tab=description

Tarnished edition overhauls Elden Ring to make it very difficult and multiplayer focused. If you have a friend or 2 to play with (sorry Lyric, no fun for you) there's one hell of a challenge here. The games a lot faster, there are way more enemies and enemies have larger move sets. Players have larger move sets and now have built in combos. R1 - R1 - R1 is different to R1 - R2 - R1 and is still an actual combo. Loads of rebalancing and changes make no build viable for the entire game. You have to switch builds constantly or you will bounce off enemies. Bows are lethal now. All archers are snipers and fire fast. Players have access to much better archery and a lot of spells are vastly improved (and intelligence weapons will regen FP as you hit enemies to help mages keep up with the increased enemies).

I don't want to spoil some of the changes but be prepared to fight for every bit of equipment and upgrade you want. Nothing is handed to you any more. You're basically an end game character from the start, most areas have a similar difficulty level and you're expected to use your options and new move set (including dodges) to survive. Even your upgrade path influences what your equipment stats become and a normal shield made into a heavy one will take more STR to wield but block phys better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom