Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Old Bald Bad

Literate
I tried many, but it seems like most of them are unplayable for me.

The Surge 1 & 2: Mech suit souls-like? Cool, I guess. One hour into the game, I had to navigate through a narrow and dark tunnel with flickering lights. I refunded it immediately. Stupid developers—were they trying to kill people by triggering photosensitive epilepsy and motion sickness at the same time?

Code Vein: Anime souls-like. Wasted $15. Why did I buy this shit in the first place?

Lies of P: Played 2 hours on GamePass. I guess the combat is fine, but I'm not interested in the setting. I'm playing as a 15-year-old puppet? Fighting other puppets? No, thanks.

What else? Nioh 1 & 2: While they are good games, like others said, they don't fit in the souls-like genre. After leveling my character above level 10 and unlocking some skills, these games become a totally different beast. Very fast and reward aggression.

Lords of the Fallen: This one I haven't tried.
Bottom line:
FromSoftware has monopoly on the genre
That's exactly what I think.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've had some fun with Code Vein. Though don't really expect a souls' experience from it. VERY different - over the top anime style and atmosphere.

Hell Swarm

Learned
The Surge 1 & 2: Mech suit souls-like? Cool, I guess. One hour into the game, I had to navigate through a narrow and dark tunnel with flickering lights. I refunded it immediately. Stupid developers—were they trying to kill people by triggering photosensitive epilepsy and motion sickness at the same time?
If you can't handle flashing lights don't play video games period. DLC is probably worse on this front.
What else? Nioh 1 & 2: While they are good games, like others said, they don't fit in the souls-like genre. After leveling my character above level 10 and unlocking some skills, these games become a totally different beast. Very fast and reward aggression.
Bloodbrorne is not a souls like then?

Is Elden ring not a souls like if I mod it to be faster?

I finished the Tarnished mod last night and have to say it was a pretty good time. Waiting on the DLC to get updated then I'll play through that. My build was fucking retarded because I kept having to switch up what I used due to enemy weaknesses. So my final load out at level 200 was.

Scholars armament, frozen weapon, ice crag, glint arc and carrian phalanx.
Rellana's Staff on right hand, staff on left hand, a magma dagger that drops pools of lava every hit, Radahn's great bow (Spears for damage, magic arrows to regen MP and holy arrows to regen HP), a flail and a the turtle shield buffed up to be 99% phys block.

My build was completely broken and it was needed for the bosses. They have massive HP pools and it was taking a lot of work to stay alive with some of the new move sets. Adding dodges rather than rolls really speeds the game up but also adds some interesting problems. Since ER is a faggot game where bosses are designed to roll catch and lock on worse than dark souls 2 you soon learned a lot of your dodge windows no longer apply. If you have an extended/faster dodge you could dodge like you would a roll and end up being hit because the boss kept tracking you to your new location and swung then. I focused on being fast and putting down magma pools to control groups of enemies and using the staff/flail to stun lock larger things. Arc was essential to managing how many enemies we were facing. It wasn't uncommon for me to be bowling 20 enemies all together to prevent them rushing us down while my coop partner used AOE weapon arts to keep the mini bosses staggered. It took coordination and team work to survive encounters and when you're attacking a castle or a major choke point you really need to plan what you're doing and pick targets. The new buffed archery applies to enemies as well and they will fuck you up badly if you're not prepared. Expect snipers every where and fuck the cripple bitches with their homing arrows covering narrow paths like a machine gun.

Highly recommend playing with seemless coop if only for the respawning mechanics (turn off coop mods HP pool modifiers. The mod is already balanced for coop and the extra health will make later boss fights take 30 minutes or so). You have to deal with properly fortified locations where 10+ crossbows will target you at once and almost every entry way is blocked by a boss so you can't just skip it. You need to be tactical and even then you will struggle to survive quite often. Chests and doorways being locked behind mini bosses is a great addition to the series. It forces you to engage with the world and the systems. Getting into the capital feels like you're entering a war zone heavily defended not just running past 10 guys and a gargoyle on a leisurely walk. There is a single player version where you get a 30% damage buff but the game is so clearly not designed for it and it would be a lame experience. It's balanced for at least 1 and possibly 3 coop companions. There's very little chance you're surviving fighting 2 lions dropping deathblight while multiple archers and mages attack you from higher areas. And golem archers constantly get put in really nasty places you have to fight your way through to even touch. It feels unfair at first but once you learn what to expect and stop treating it like From's trash you realize just how well put together it is. Difficult, very challenging but very rewarding. I hope future souls likes will take some of the lessons this mod can offer and implement them into future games. Sadly because it's an ultra hard coop mod it doesn't suit streamers and youtubers so it's unlikely to pick up traction. If you have any friends (sorry lyric) install it and seemless coop and have a jolly good time. Limgrave will be a shock but you will adapt and you will get to play with some new combat systems and explore a bunch of new combos (unlike Elden ring base where nothing mixes together, here elemental weapons complement each other and you do have combos you can switch up for different situations).

I'd give it a solid 9/10. It's hard but you always have tools to deal with the difficulty. Shame From are such bad devs they will never see how good this mod is and learn a thing from it. They'll make Demon souls+7 with no additions or changes like they always have and always will.

Old Bald Bad

Literate
I've had some fun with Code Vein. Though don't really expect a souls' experience from it. VERY different - over the top anime style and atmosphere.
I will give it another try.

If you can't handle flashing lights don't play video games period. DLC is probably worse on this front.
Bloodbrorne is not a souls like then?

Is Elden ring not a souls like if I mod it to be faster?
I get it. Everybody has a different opinion about what is “souls-like.” Mine revolves around the importance of the stamina bar. In Nioh games, when you unlock certain passives and skills, the stamina bar becomes irrelevant because you can Ki-Pulse and do other things to replenish your stamina. In Souls games, no matter how much you speed it up, you still have to manage your stamina bar. Sometimes, you have to wait for your stamina bar to recover, which makes the combat slower. I’m not sure if “slower” is the right word here, but I hope you get what I mean.

Hell Swarm

Learned
In Souls games, no matter how much you speed it up, you still have to manage your stamina bar. Sometimes, you have to wait for your stamina bar to recover, which makes the combat slower. I’m not sure if “slower” is the right word here, but I hope you get what I mean.
One of the major complaints about Dark souls 3, bloodborne and Elden ring is that stamina is irrelevant. You always have enough to spam dodges.

And one of the major complaints about Dark souls 2 by people who don't like it is the stamina bar is very tight and you have to manage it.

Same series, very different stamina management mechanics.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
On the other hand, Dragon's Dogma 2 combat shits all over DaS combat.

In what way?
DD2 combat doesn't devolve into a retarded dance, roll fest or R1 spamming. It's simply refreshing to be liberated from all that bullshit.
Then there is no lock in DD2 therefore mobility and positioning is more important than in ER. Also the spells are much better than the ones from ER.
DD2's combat is balanced for multiple enemies while in ER aggroing more than one enemy means that you are fucked. ER's combat cannot into multiple enemies.
DD2's physics engine is simply better than ER's physics implementation and this is reflected in better animations and more organic/natural fights.
DD2's fights are grounded compared to ER's anime fights (jumping while handling two heavy swords and wearing heavy armor is so retarded).
DD2's combat is simply fun. Fighting a lizard in DD2 is more fun than a retarded super buffed ER boss.
DD2's combat represents a step forward in the right direction while ER's combat is already creatively bankrupt (how much faster can you make a boss spin!?).

Silverfish

Arbiter
DMC animu shit

Don't be silly.

Dragons-Dogma-2-Thief-Gameplay.gif

Anonona

Learned
If you say so, but i distinctly remember seeing DMC animu shit in some Dragon Dogma videos i've seen.
DD's combat offers a certain array of play style depending on skills and vocations

So you can go from down-to earth vocations like Fighter, Archer and Mage to more "animu" ones like Mystic Spear, Thief and Magick Archer. And even then, depending on your skill loadout, Vocations like Thief and Magick Archer can be quite down to earth, Warrior and Sorcerer have different degree of realism and Archer can go from skilled marksman to Legolas.

DD2's physic engine in particular does give the fights a more grounded feel. For example, bashing a goblin with a shield, seeing it reel backwards from the impact and then tripping and falling off a cliff, or being able to make a Cyclops lost balance because you tackle it while running or falling from a considerable height, and them it slips on its own weapon while tumbling back. It has a considerable amount of emergent gameplay. And the player himself isn't free of these kind of things happening to him.

I wouldn't call Dragon's Dogma's combat inherently better. Each game has very different goals with its combat system and influences. They are both good games that have very different interpretations of ARPGs with exploration. Souls focus on solo combat with a dreamy and dark world, while DD2 feels like the best translation to action game of DnD, focusing on adventure and teamplay.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Personally, I think the things DD2 does better than ER in combat involve the feeling of weight and momentum, the number of abilities you can assign (and how they are tied to Vocations rather than specific weapons or ashes of war), better 1v many combat, and a far superior physics engine.

I think ER is far more challenging unless you use mods or run some sort of challenge mode, DD2 is very, very easy.

The world in DD2 feels far more alive than ER.

I think ER has far more interesting lore, generally better looking armour and weapons, superior art design, more interesting unique dungeons.

I still think Bitterblack Isle is more atmospheric than anything in either of the other two games and is up there in level design with anything from ER. The only thing holding it back is how damage scaling is tied to level in DD1 which means you have to resort to throwblast spam to kill anything tough if you try to complete the dungeon at a lower level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom