Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Hell Swarm

Learned
Doesn't seem like it's something From Soft fans are looking for though. If you actually see nothing wrong with combat in ER I don't think videos of other games will convince you.
I am a From fan
I am looking for more depth to From combat

I have been looking for it since Dark souls 3 and so have many of the original Souls fans. The argument has been "If you're going to sacrifice the adventure for combat then make the combat more interesting and complex. Let the player keep up with the weeaboo bosses or stop making weeaboo bosses"

I enjoyed the extra depth I recently got from a mod. It wasn't a lot but it was more and I appreciated a modder making From look like a bunch of lazy faggots recycling content rather than improving on it. 15 long swords with the same move set when they could have easily added basic combo deviation and made most of them unique. I don't need a magic long sword upgrade and a default magic upgraded sword. They're the same thing and a waste of everyone's time to exist. If From weren't utter faggots they might have tied weapons to bosses souls DMC style and given the player much more interesting reason to grind shitty bosses than "it's a deathroot and a summon worse than Mimic tear"

I have been looking for it since Dark souls 3 and so have many of the original Souls fans. The argument has been "If you're going to sacrifice the adventure for combat then make the combat more interesting and complex. Let the player keep up with the weeaboo bosses or stop making weeaboo bosses"

Well I'm definitely in full agreement with that argument. When I said FS fans I meant the type that counters any criticism of their combat design with "skill issue". And there seems to be plenty of them. I don't think these people are looking for any changes and most of them probably don't play melee action games outside FS catalogue or their copycats.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It has nothing to do with not wanting change, we just don't want the combat system to become what you like.

I don't want Souls to become Ninja Gaiden or DMC or Monster Hunter. I had no problem with Sekiro, so it's not a question of change.

Odoryuk

Educated
I don't think these people are looking for any changes
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls trilogy, Bloodborne and Elden Ring are full of changes that separate these games from each other. I'm looking towards these kind of changes, even though the games clearly made from the same mould. I didn't need Sekiro, and I clearly don't need them to make DMC style combat (which they actually did on the original XBox already. Twice). Also there's not a single good FS copycat in the industry (and even if there are good devs, them trying to be copycats undermines their games)

Hell Swarm

Learned
I don't think these people are looking for any changes
Demon's Souls, Dark Souls trilogy, Bloodborne and Elden Ring are full of changes that separate these games from each other. I'm looking towards these kind of changes, even though the games clearly made from the same mould. I didn't need Sekiro, and I clearly don't need them to make DMC style combat (which they actually did on the original XBox already. Twice). Also there's not a single good FS copycat in the industry (and even if there are good devs, them trying to be copycats undermines their games)
Do we really have to have this bullshit argument again? There's no meaningful differences in any of the combat systems in the souls series.

4:30 to 7:30.

Argument still applies just as it did 7 years ago. Nothing has changed or improved. The only addition is guard countering which is basically the same as blocking then attacking any way and arch thrones (DaS3 mod) implemented it far better. They made a perfect block let you guard counter while From lets you spam it and break the game with no skill or effort.

Odoryuk

Educated
There's no meaningful differences in any of the combat systems in the souls series.
There's enough difference to make the games feel distinct from one another and there's a lot more room to add new features. Jumping alone changed Elden Ring a lot compared to older Souls games, and I'm not even talking about the game expecting the player to poise break most of the enemies (to the point were even measly slimes got a poise broken state).
I'm not talking about the games being totally different and having different gameplay, of course. They can continue working on their ARPG formula without breaking into other genres and people will love it.
And Sekiro is a totally different beast (to the point that it created a different camp of players who wants new Sekiro and never liked Souls and probably never will), which just shows that they can make something different.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Complaining that FromSoft has milked the same combat system across several titles when that's pretty much how Japanese developers operate seems to be another case of "it's only bad when FromSoft does it".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DD2's fights are grounded compared to ER's anime fights
If you say so, but i distinctly remember seeing DMC animu shit in some Dragon Dogma videos i've seen.

Capcom's animu shit > From's animu shit

Most complex ER player combo (it's a canned animation):
giphy.webp

DD2 simplest combo:

Most exicting ER fight agaisnt a large enemy:
giphy.webp

Dullest DD2 large enemy showdown:

You still seem unable to crasp that your preferred style is neither objectively superior nor desirable in any way when it comes to FromSoft games.

Some of us don't care at all about "complex" combos. I explained many times that the game's complexity in FromSoft games is entirely on the other end of the equation.

You speak about Elden Ring's animu combos as being inferior to DD2 where as from my point of view i consider the combos that are actually there to be superflous and uneeded (and my eyes were already glazing over the DD2 combos you linked to). FromSoft combat simply doesn't revolve around that. Sekiro is a case in point.

And i wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional, given action games with combos etc have a long history behind them, so one can even see Demon Souls as being an attempt to go against the grain when it first came out.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Complaining that FromSoft has milked the same combat system across several titles when that's pretty much how Japanese developers operate seems to be another case of "it's only bad when FromSoft does it".
That's not entirely correct
In fact, it is fairly common for long running japanese game franchises to heavily change their gameplay between entries
Even when that doesn't happen, these subsequent games usually strive to refine their predecessors systems
And in that regard, From has held the unique honor of refusing to fix objective issues in their combat gameplay with each new entry (some elements even getting progressively more egregious) and still getting massive success and worse praised as having excellent combat design

You still seem unable to crasp that your preferred style is neither objectively superior nor desirable in any way when it comes to FromSoft games.
But I've never claimed I would prefer that From games had DD or DMC combat
My view has always been that, From combat design is overall mediocre but this was acceptable in those first 3 Souls games, only because it held equal (if not less) importance than the "adventuring" and "immersive" aspects - but the more focus they place on the acion component, the more the combat's problems become self-evident and the more they bring down the experience

My preference would be that if indeed more action is the way From wants to go, then at least they should try reconsider what what works and what doesn't, enchance the former and discard the latter
But the fact that 7 games later their solution to patch these issues was essentially pouring oil onto the fire by doubling down on the retarded elements and people still applaud this, gives me little hope From will ever rethink their design and try to innovate any time soon

I explained many times that the game's complexity in FromSoft games is entirely on the other end of the equation.
And I've explained many times you why shouldn't have one without the other
You shouldn't have enemies with a high degree of complexity and leave the player with overly simplistic tools, because ultimately it isn't very engaging for the player to deal with (as his choices are almost binary) and it creates a very obvious imbalance in risk/reward - not to mention the whole "though but fair" design motto ends up being just bullshit

Besides, From's mechanical design regarding enemies isn't anything special

from my point of view i consider the combos that are actually there to be superflous and uneeded (and my eyes were already glazing over the DD2 combos you linked to)
Redundant is the last thing DD2 combat moves are
A fact which can be observed in those videos, particularly the cyclops one

And while their combat systems can't really be objectively compared, it still can be easily argued that DD2 "craftmanship" regarding it's combat is superior to ER
After all, game design is fundamentally about meaningful interactivity/reactivity
The fact DD2 action design manages to possess far more distinct yet consequential combat choices than ER, proves just that

And i wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional, given action games with combos etc have a long history behind them, so one can even see Demon Souls as being an attempt to go against the grain when it first came out.
I don't think so
From didn't expand DeS combat because - 1) they hadn't that many resources for the project ; 2) the game really didn't need it

If it was however, then it would be a simple case of taking a retarded stance just for the sake of contrarianism...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And in that regard, From has held the unique honor of refusing to fix objective issues in their combat gameplay with each new entry (some elements even getting progressively more egregious) and still getting massive success and worse praised as having excellent combat design

The problem is that coming from you it's hard to say whether this is based on a legitimate assesment of the combat system and it's evolution over the course of this series or whether this is based on the interjection of your own preferences and biases.

Personally, i don't see what the issue is with the combat system up to and including Elden Ring. Never understood any of the criticisms, never had a problem adjusting to those so called "problems". All the issues with the Souls sequels for me stem from other things entirely, like DS2 being handed over to an inexperienced team which led to a lot of amateurish and janky stuff, DS3 feeling like Miyazaki had grown tired of the series (it has always been my opinion he never actually wanted to make any sequels to Dark Souls 1 hence why DS2 and DS3 came out the way they did. Feels like he was forced into it), and Elden Ring with the open world stuff throwing a monkey wrench to the Dark Souls style of carefully crafted and paced content.

But the combat system? I honestly don't get where the issue is.

You just did when you made a comparison between the "combos" as if Souls combat was ever about any of that (and as if FromSoft couldn't do what you are asking them to do if they wanted to).

My view has always been that, From combat design is overall mediocre

Yeah but that's just liek, your opinion man. We are running in circles here despite all my attempts to point out your entire criticism is based on a point of view some of us do not share. For you, the combat system is "mediocre" because it doesn't do the things those other games you like do, where as i don't want the combat system to be like those other games at all and i like it exactly the way it is, without "combos" or anything of the like.

My preference would be that if indeed more action is the way From wants to go

Right, and my preference is precisely that they do not go that way and stay well clear of turning this series into a DMC clone or what have you. I was worried about Sekiro, that they had gone that way, but i was pleasently surprised that they didn't.

And I've explained many times you why shouldn't have one without the other

I don't see why not. Just because you favor a particular way of doing things doesn't mean it should be mandatory in every game.

You shouldn't have enemies with a high degree of complexity and leave the player with overly simplistic tools

Never needed any of those "tools" myself, and don't want them either. There are a few in ER that seem to go that way, but didn't make on iota of a difference when i tried them.

because ultimately it isn't very engaging for the player to deal with (as his choices are almost binary)

Yeah but that's... your... preference.

Once again, Sekiro demonstrates conclusively why this argument is wrong. In fact, Sekiro basically debunks all your arguments entirely.

Yeah but that's where you are wrong.

Nioh, the one game i played that belongs to your camp, had fairly mid design for the bosses. They were pretty good but not even remotely in the same ballpark as what you get in FromSoft.

From what i've seen of Monster Hunter, the same applies there, though i think in the latter is more of a case of one thing (boss complexity) having to give way to the other (complexity on the side of the player).

I was talking about ER. They are redundant within the scope of that game, so it's irrelevant whether the "complex" combos in ER are child play compared to even the simplest of combos in DD2 when combos in ER are meaningless.

I don't think so
From didn't expand DeS combat because - 1) they hadn't that many resources for the project ; 2) the game really didn't need it

Resources isn't the reason they didn't try to make a DMC clone that's a retarded argument.

The reason is that they were never that kind of company. King's Field, Armored Core and possibly even Tenchu (never played it though it appears to be a stealth game more than an action one, so i guess it counts as well) is where Demon Souls cames from, and it was this background that determined its combat system.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Here we go again...

Personally, i don't see what the issue is with the combat system up to and including Elden Ring. Never understood any of the criticisms, never had a problem adjusting to those so called "problems".
I honestly don't get where the issue is.
Yeah no shit
Everytime someone points the issues out, you do your best 3 wise monkeys impersonation
By this point "I never had any problems with it" and "datz just liek ur opinion man" are your catchphrases
Even when you bother to actually engage in the discussion, you mostly just reply to the low hanging fruit and ignore the strong arguments...

And mind, you do this even at the times we are not discussing abstract design components, but actual concrete technical gameplay flaws - which are downright embarassing after 10+ years of making these games:
- enemy attacks still go through walls, while player attacks bounce off
- input buffering is still overzealous, a minor annoyance on the pre-Bloodborne games but completely inexcusable now that combat runs on turbo mode
- critical hits still don't work consistently on slopes
- lock-on still breaks when bosses do their spazz attacks, even though there's nothing else in the room to lock-on to
- enemy pathfinding is still hilariously wonky, leading to either exploitable or unpredictable movement paterns

You just did when you made a comparison between the "combos"
No

For one, that was a humurous post and my statement was simply that Capcom's anime goofiness is cooler than From's anime goofiness - and like I've previously said, I was also poking fun at the fact you repeatedly proclaim to be turned off by such frivolous weeb shennanings, yet you apparently have no such problems when From games are being just as over-the-top (if not more) and sometimes you even expressed appreciation at such displays

Secondly, what that first comparison showed is that in ER, complex combat moves are very simple to perform

None of this implies I would prefer for Souls games to play like Bing Bing Wahoo combat
Now are you asking me, if I would like if From were to learn anything from these games regarding mechanics, weapons and enemy design? Yes I would. Because they seem dead set on focusing on the action component and so they might as well look here for cool ideas for their own system - but really it doesn't even have Itsuno's games, there are plenty of other great 3D fighters ripe with lessons to learn and ideas to play with (want From to go back to the slower, more methodical combat where even 1 regular oponent can fuck you up? tell them to look into Bushido Blade)

We are running in circles here despite all my attempts to point out your entire criticism is based on a point of view some of us do not share.
See the thing is, my opinion is based not just on my observations but also those of hundreds other enthusiasts of this particular niche (melee action combat), it's based on gameplay ideas and applications of said ideas that been unceasingly tested and experimented on by said enthusiasts (both players and devs) since all the way back to early days of Street Fighter 2 (1987 if you're curious), ideas which turned into general concepts that can be found and in fact are the bedrock every single one of the best figthing combat systems be 2D or 3D (concepts which as I argued in this thread, From games have struggled with to put it midly) and ultimately it's based of my own experience after dozens of 3D fighters over the years (ranging all the way from insulting to blissful)

Your opinion is based primarly on your own arbitrary notion of "thing I like = good. thing I don't like = bad", plus an obvious lack of experience with combat systems outside From's mold and knowledge of even basic figthing design notions

My preference would be that if indeed more action is the way From wants to go
Right, and my preference is precisely that they do not go that way and stay well clear of turning this series into a DMC clone or what have you.
And again, I never said I want them to go on a "combat first" direction
However, since they are going that way, they should at least look at what they themselves do right and do wrong and enchance the former and fix the latter - and if during this process they look outside towards great games for inspiration, all the better

I was worried about Sekiro, that they had gone that way, but i was pleasently surprised that they didn't.
Except they literally did, as Sekiro's combat feels like a poor rip-off of MGR main quirks lol

You shouldn't have enemies with a high degree of complexity and leave the player with overly simplistic tools
Never needed any of those "tools" myself, and don't want them either.
Funny thing here is
If I, or anyone else, were to invert the script and use this very reasoning to defend such bad game design in a genre you are particularly familiar and fond of, you would be popping a vein right now and calling that poster a complete retard

Sekiro demonstrates conclusively why this argument is wrong. In fact, Sekiro basically debunks all your arguments entirely.
Except we've had this discussion already and what Sekiro conclusively demonstrated was that it was a mechanically shallow game that doesn't hold a candle to the greats it was competing against

Yeah but that's where you are wrong.

Nioh, the one game i played that belongs to your camp, had fairly mid design for the bosses. They were pretty good but not even remotely in the same ballpark as what you get in FromSoft.
And you never explained why that is case
This was left up in the air just as another one of your "trust me bro, I'm right" moments

From what i've seen of Monster Hunter, the same applies there, though i think in the latter is more of a case of one thing (boss complexity) having to give way to the other (complexity on the side of the player).
I'm not even a fan of MonHun
But I know enough about it to know you really don't want to compare the complexity MonHun's boss AI with that of any game by From
They are not even on same galaxy

I was talking about ER. They are redundant within the scope of that game
They are irrelevant because ER lacks the mechanics to make use of them
Which was part of the point - ER combat is mechanically shallow

I don't think so
Resources isn't the reason they didn't try to make a DMC clone that's a retarded argument.
This is your 3rd strike for reading comphrension
Where in that sentence did I say, or in any imply, that they tried to make a DMC clone?
Is your viewpoint really this narrow that you think that the statement "expanding DeS combat" = "making a DMC clone"?

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Your opinion is based primarly on your own arbitrary notion of "thing I like = good. thing I don't like = bad", plus an obvious lack of experience with combat systems outside From's mold and knowledge of even basic figthing design notions
Is there even a reason to reply to Lyric ever? You know he won't listen. He will post an essay of bullshit completely missing the point and defending the game. From won't improve, they will just continue their bullshit until souls likes fall out of fashion. If they had any integrity as a developer the Iron Virgins never would have made it past play testing. But they did and they're every where. Even designed to hit you through walls in volcano manor. Because.. Fuck you. Why improve games? Why make better AI? Why even have collision in games when you can have giant axes hitting the player through solid walls instead.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
DJOGamer PT , did you seriously try to say that Sekiro's combat is a rip-off of Metal Gear Rising? Jesus Christ.

And again, I never said I want them to go on a "combat first" direction
However, since they are going that way, they should at least look at what they themselves do right and do wrong and enchance the former and fix the latter - and if during this process they look outside towards great games for inspiration, all the better
Is there a specific reason you believe DMC is the final form of all action-combat design? I guess maybe you played FFXVI and thought it was the coolest combat Final Fantasy has ever had?
I'm not even a fan of MonHun
But I know enough about it to know you really don't want to compare the complexity MonHun's boss AI with that of any game by From
Partially right and partially wrong here. MHW doesn't have the best boss AI for moving around the map, and the monsters themselves don't even try to avoid your attacks. But their move choices from one moment to the next can feel dastardly and specifically designed to fuck with you. There are moments where it really does feel like the monster read what I was about to do and busted out the perfect attack to counter that. I can't say how much of that is placebo effect, but it's there. I've never gotten that feeling from any Fromsoft game.
- input buffering is still overzealous, a minor annoyance on the pre-Bloodborne games but completely inexcusable now that combat runs on turbo mode
Agreed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah no shit
Everytime someone points the issues out, you do your best 3 wise monkeys impersonation
By this point "I never had any problems with it" and "datz just liek ur opinion man" are your catchphrases
Even when you bother to actually engage in the discussion, you mostly just reply to the low hanging fruit and ignore the strong arguments...

And mind, you do this even at the times we are not discussing abstract design components, but actual concrete technical gameplay flaws - which are downright embarassing after 10+ years of making these games:
- enemy attacks still go through walls, while player attacks bounce off
- critical hits still don't work consistently on slopes
- lock-on still breaks when bosses do their spazz attacks, even though there's nothing else in the room to lock-on to
- enemy pathfinding is still hilariously wonky, leading to either exploitable or unpredictable movement paterns

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the combat system and a reply like this just undermines your position given your real argument is that FromSoft combat's isn't like those others games you like. Grasping at straws already on your very first rebuttal.

It's also another case of "it's only bad when FromSoft does it". See, when Dragon Dogma does jank it's just "charming". Monster Hunter has often poor AI when chasing bosses around? Well, that's because the game focuses on fun bro! Bosses in Nioh have wonky hit boxes where you can get hit on a rebound even if you dodged the attack? No problem bro, just adapt.

But when it comes to FromSoft, it's either absolute perfection or the game system is just terrible and mediocre. This kind of attitude usually stems when one is afflicted by underdog syndrome, which is an emotional and not an objective reponse. FromSoft is "mainstream" now, that means everything bad they do is unforgivable where as those other games can be exscused by virtue of being "unfairly" overlooked (despite being totally better in every which way possible! This isn't totally fanboy hyperbole though). Even within FromSoft itself you can see this attitude when it comes to Dark Souls 2, the black sheep of the series.

Personally, i never cared about this attitude and it's also worth pointing out a lot of this animosity against them didn't exist when FromSoft were themselves percieved to be the underdog.

For one, that was a humurous post and my statement was simply that Capcom's anime goofiness is cooler than From's anime goofiness - and like I've previously said, I was also poking fun at the fact you repeatedly proclaim to be turned off by such frivolous weeb shennanings, yet you apparently have no such problems when From games are being just as over-the-top (if not more) and sometimes you even expressed appreciation at such displays

Running cover and mounting a strawman in the same argument.

No, you weren't making any "humourous" statement about the goofiness of those combos, you were specifically making a point about combos in ER not being anywhere near as complex as even the simplest combos in DD2, to which i responded ER does not revolve around that kind of stuff so you cannot rely on that metric to show that DD2's combat is totally superior to Elden Ring's combat. It's the very definition of comparing apples to oranges.

Second, i don't recall being particularly appreciative of this kind of stuff when found in Souls. My disdain for animu is one of the main reasons i latched on to this company in the first place, since in Souls animu is relatively subdued compared to stuff like DMC etc. It also seems to be more subdued in Dragon Dogma which is why out of all the games mentioned in those conversations, DMC, Monter Hunter etc DD is actually the one that has my attention the most.

Secondly, what that first comparison showed is that in ER, complex combat moves are very simple to perform

Which is a completely irrelevant point to make, because in ER, "complex combat moves" aren't a thing. It's not what the combat is about. I know that's what you WANT it to be about, but that brings us back to the root of this conversation once again. You have a preference for a specific kind of combat games which FromSoft always seemed to actively want to stay clear of.

Now are you asking me, if I would like if From were to learn anything from these games regarding mechanics, weapons and enemy design? Yes I would. Because they seem dead set on focusing on the action component and so they might as well look here for cool ideas for their own system - but really it doesn't even have Itsuno's games, there are plenty of other great 3D fighters ripe with lessons to learn and ideas to play with (want From to go back to the slower, more methodical combat where even 1 regular oponent can fuck you up? tell them to look into Bushido Blade)

Or maybe they can just keep doing their own thing which is what set them apart originally in the first place. Besides, i have a strong suspicion that if they DID start taking their cues from other games the usual suspects would just jump on the opportunity to screech how FromSoft have no creativity and can only steal from others.

See the thing is, my opinion is based not just on my observations but also those of hundreds other enthusiasts of this particular niche (melee action combat), it's based on gameplay ideas and applications of said ideas that been unceasingly tested and experimented on by said enthusiasts (both players and devs) since all the way back to early days of Street Fighter 2 (1987 if you're curious), ideas which turned into general concepts that can be found and in fact are the bedrock every single one of the best figthing combat systems be 2D or 3D (concepts which as I argued in this thread, From games have struggled with to put it midly) and ultimately it's based of my own experience after dozens of 3D fighters over the years (ranging all the way from insulting to blissful)

I do have some familiarity with fighting games, anything that ever ended up on an arcade at least. It's the console era games i am completely cluless about because i never owned a console.

With that said, i think i know enough about how those games work to not want any of that in FromSoft games.

It seems we have now correctly identified what the argument is actually about, my preference versus your preference, and you seem to be making the case your preference has priority based on this general idea of what a "melee action combat" game ought to be, citing this vast gaming tradition with all it's accumulated knowledge in terms of mechanics and gameplay styles.

From my point of view, the fact Dark Souls ISN'T in fact part of this tradition is exactly why i liked it in the first place, which is why i don't want them to start imitating those games at all. I don't want them to turn into spazzy action fests, with "complex" combos, fast reaction times, flashy move sets and all the rest. I absolutely do not want them to take their cues either from Street Fighter or DMC. The pedigree you are alluding to holds no interest for many of us because we never saw FromSoft has being part of that world. And the fact they have increased the speed and complexity of bosses over the years isn't a justification to suddenly turn Souls into DMC and allow the player to spazz out like Dante, forever veering off what Souls was supposed to be about and turn the series as yet another DMC clone. The solutions FromSoft offers to compensate for the increase in boss spazziness (like the stance mechanic) are perfectly fine as they are and within the general philosophy of the series.

It's a bit like demanding that a series like Ace Combat gets turned into a vertical-scroller citing the long tradition of increasingly more sophisticated vertical shooters going from 1942 to Battle Garegga and DoDonPachi as a justificaiton when the whole point of Ace Combat was to be an arcade/sim hybrid. The fact Dark Souls shares its origins with an attempted Ultimate Underworld clone shows that we are dealing with something that isn't exactly just your average "melee action game" and can't just begin to cross over in that direction without instantly losing its distinctiveness and raison d'etre (a melee action game that ISN'T an animu twich fest).

The second FromSoft veers in that direction is likely going to be moment when i stop playing their games. If i wanted DMC, i'd be playing DMC.

Except they literally did, as Sekiro's combat is poor rip-off of MGR main quirks

I tried Metal Gear Rising and i see no similarity whatsoever.

And you never explained why that is case
This was left up in the air just as another one of your "trust me bro, I'm right" moments

It should be obvious if you have eyes to see. If you can't see it, i suspect it's because you are actually a bit blind as to the real complexity in FromSoft games, which has nothing to do with having 100 different combos you can perform. That's why i cited Sekiro as a perfect counter example because that game is as far apart from your definition of complexity as it gets.

In terms of how enemy move, their attack patterns etc, i just find FromSoft games to be smarter than their competition, and cleverness is not something that can easily be defined like quantity can. It's easy to point out that in Nioh you have dozens of possible combinations of combos you can perform, it's less easy to define why bosses in Sekiro are a lot more clever than those in Nioh in their design and attack patterns.

I was talking about the compexity of how they move, which appear to have been simplified to allow the player to do all the stuff you claim FromSoft should begin to imitate in their combat systems.

They are irrelevant because ER lacks the mechanics to make use of them
Which was part of the point - ER combat is mechanically shallow

Not it's that ER is mechanically something completely different.

I don't think so
This is your 3rd strike for reading comphrension
Where in that sentence did I say, or in any imply, that they tried to make a DMC clone?
Is your viewpoint really this narrow that you think that the statement "expanding DeS combat" = "making a DMC clone"?

Fair enough i now see i read that wrong. I'm not a big fan of multi-quoting wars and pyramid postings so my eyes started glazing over what you wrote by the time i got to the bottom of it lmao.

In fact i'm already boring of doing this.

Odoryuk

Educated
Mechanically shallow combat being more interesting and fun is nothing new, just compare Diablo 2 to Baldur's Gate 2

Hell Swarm

Learned
It's also another case of "it's only bad when FromSoft does it". See, when Dragon Dogma does jank it's just "charming". Monster Hunter has often poor AI when chasing bosses around? Well, that's because the game focuses on fun bro! Bosses in Nioh have wonky hit boxes where you can get hit on a rebound even if you dodged the attack? No problem bro, just adapt.

But when it comes to FromSoft, it's either absolute perfection or the game system is just terrible and mediocre. This kind of attitude usually stems when one is afflicted by underdog syndrome, which is an emotional and not an objective reponse. FromSoft is "mainstream" now, that means everything bad they do is unforgivable where as those other games can be exscused by virtue of being "unfairly" overlooked (despite being totally better in every which way possible! This isn't totally fanboy hyperbole though). Even within FromSoft itself you can see this attitude when it comes to Dark Souls 2, the black sheep of the series.

Personally, i never cared about this attitude and it's also worth pointing out a lot of this animosity against them didn't exist when FromSoft were themselves percieved to be the underdog.
Here you can see why you never engage with Lyric. He creates an untouchable strawman in his own head and then tries to argue with it. No one has said From has to be perfect or that others games don't have flaws. Monster hunter's AI really isn't relevant to the discussion at all. Monsters run away and they generally path find well and use different parts of the map to traverse it in natural ways. From enemies simply run towards you or return to their fixed patrol path. There's no unique animations for or ways for them to get around. Most of them can't get over a knee high wall or a slightly too small door way. Many of them struggle to even use ladders. He argues we demand perfection, which is a fake argument he made with himself.

Playing since Demon's souls people have said enemies shouldn't be able to attack you through walls or the floor. This is not emotional, it does not come from any sort of "underdog syndrome". It comes from playing the Ancient Wyvern boss fight and getting hit by a chain through the walls. It comes from enemies hitting you through the wall when they're on the other side in every From souls game. It comes from abductor virgins hitting you through the floor in volcano manor. But Lyric being a colossal faggot makes up this fake strawman in his head because he can't deal with the truth that this is unacceptable and has been unacceptable since Dark souls. The attitude has always existed and it always will exist because it's a massive design problem that only effects From games. It's been openly discussed for over a decade and it's an issue other games don't have. In Nioh enemies do bounce off of walls, they can't attack you through them. That gives a template From could copy even if they don't understand the problem themselves but they don't. They double down on broken parts of their game and increasingly add enemies that unfairly attack you in ways you cannot see coming. It's immersion breaking when a weapon the size of a car sails through a brick wall and hits you on the other side. It doesn't break the wall, it doesn't have a magical excuse, it's just fuck you this wall only exists for you and not them.

This is why Lyric should stay in his containment thread and never post here again. There's literally nothing he can add to this conversation. He projects his own need for ego stroking onto other posters and is the absolute worst kind of fanboy. Everyone's a hater because they expect games to improve over time and don't just accept playing slop you can break and feel good about yourself. He's an emotional wreck desperate for validation so being "good at the hard video game series" by cheesing is all he has. Which is why he can never be honest about the games and how deeply flawed they are. He doesn't even read posts that reply to him, he simply makes his own strawmen to argue with and talks to himself like some psychotic shut in.

Perkel

Arcane
my issue with souls in general is that you don't have access to many actions which forces you to pick arbitrarily attacks.

Case in point. I have Reduvia and Dagger. I want to use Reduvia special attack but i also want to use Dagger special attack but i also want to have ability to block or parry or maybe even a kick. Sure you can double hand weapons but then you lose power stance. Lack of those is very limiting.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
my issue with souls in general is that you don't have access to many actions which forces you to pick arbitrarily attacks.

Case in point. I have Reduvia and Dagger. I want to use Reduvia special attack but i also want to use Dagger special attack but i also want to have ability to block or parry or maybe even a kick. Sure you can double hand weapons but then you lose power stance. Lack of those is very limiting.
Clearly giving the player the option to both parry AND use a weapon art without weapon swapping would make the game into a DMC clone.

Hell Swarm

Learned

I found this video quite interesting. It's about Dark souls 1 but it applies to all From games.

"The lore doesn't make sense because it's the video game version of Magic the gathering" is an interesting concept.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Man, I miss the old MTG flavour text. The lore didn't make sense there either but it was fun to read and imagine snippets of a cool world. Their writing has been shit for 20 years now.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
@DJOGamer PT , did you seriously try to say that Sekiro's combat is a rip-off of Metal Gear Rising?
Hey
No my fault that during alot of my playthrough the thought that kept coming back to my mind during particular fights was "man this reminds of MGR"
Funny thing even, during that fight against Genichiro atop the tower I got bored enough that I actually put Sam's "There will be blood" theme playing in the background kek - improved my mood significantly, even tried to "play" with the boss

Is there a specific reason you believe DMC is the final form of all action-combat design?
Is there a specific reason why you assume this even though I have never said anything of the like?

I guess maybe you played FFXVI and thought it was the coolest combat Final Fantasy has ever had?
iFrom what I played It was certaintly the most fun I've had with the combat of a FF since Jack's Chaosbane game
Certaintly better than XV wouldn't you agree?

Yeah I find it annoying when game requires to me to keep switching my loadout. This is why argument that "Souls games give you so many options to deal with everything" doesn't do much for me, when in Nioh 2 I can have a load of options that enable me to deal with literally any situation equipped all at once and have quick access to them. FS games by comparison feel like I'm playing with one hand.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom