Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The only truly unique open zone in ER was Limgrave, literally every other open area had the same copypasted landmarks everywhere, like some cheap ass creed game or smth. That's what makes it feel phoned in and halfhearted.

Its open world is made with modern (read soulless, no pun intended) western game design principles in mind and coming from a Japanese gamedev responsible for a game as unique as Dark/Demon Souls it's a big step back.
Yeah, this was so ubisoft style formulaic it hurts. It would have been almost less offensive if they had done something like an entire area having NO catacombs or caves at all, and maybe another area having a load of extra of that crap if they felt the need to add this much padding somewhere.

As it stands, it was unbelievably predictable. Every time you explored a new map "zone", you knew you'd face: another dragon, another erdtree guardian boss, another catacomb, another mine, another cave, another hero tomb, a church.. in more or less the same quantities, sometimes one extra, sometimes one less, but no variation that would make you feel like you've entered somewhere any different other than the place having a different coat of paint.

Anyway, there was way too much content, and I don't want to hear "But you don't have to do it". How do I know if there isn't going to be an amazing, cool weapon hidden in copypasta302 before doing it? and it's the game series that relies almost entirely on item descriptions to convey its lore. So now, the amount of lore you'd gather naturally, doing cool content in previous games, you need to gather by spending a hundred hours in copypastaland. Seriously, fuck that shit.

It angers me because I really like that game when it shines. I like the classic dungeons a lot. I like most of the bosses. Leyndell's Sewers gave me flashbacks to Demon's Souls, the level design is very reminiscent of DeS in a good way. I wish I could replay this from scratch with a new character, but then I think about the amount of time I'll have to spend watching my character on a horseback, extra garbage content to get the items I'd want for a new build etc (even trying to remember where I got what item feels overwhelming, I might actually have to use a wiki to look up locations to start from scratch without pulling my hair) and I'm like.. no. I can't. I can't replay this.

Games like the previous souls I've replayed so many times on so many different character builds. I knew every corner by heart and could run them to completion in handful of hours without being a speedrunner or doing exploit tactics. They were games that respected your time and ran at a human scale, if you already knew most of the content and just wanted to experience the boss fights again and make new builds the games didn't act like time fucking vampires.

Meanwhile I ended up dropping ER after doing full completion of achievements and no matter how much a part of me wants to go back (I wouldn't be reading this thread if I hadn't the thought), I think back to the chore aspects and.. ah, it's really difficult.

Truly a love hate relationship. If From Soft's next game is also an open world game because of ER's excessive success, then it might turn into pure hatred.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Yeah, this was so ubisoft style formulaic it hurts. It would have been almost less offensive if they had done something like an entire area having NO catacombs or caves at all, and maybe another area having a load of extra of that crap if they felt the need to add this much padding somewhere.

As it stands, it was unbelievably predictable. Every time you explored a new map "zone", you knew you'd face: another dragon, another erdtree guardian boss, another catacomb, another mine, another cave, another hero tomb, a church.. in more or less the same quantities, sometimes one extra, sometimes one less, but no variation that would make you feel like you've entered somewhere any different other than the place having a different coat of paint.
Every open world game is like that.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
When I think of Ubishit style open world games I think of climbing towers and having every area of interest automatically revealed on the map. It's so fucking gay, and that doesn't describe Elden Ring. You discover things more naturally. I'm glad more open world games are moving away from Ubisoft's patented garbage. I fucking despise that company and all of their games.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Then maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, just maybe, open world is a trash design that shouldn't ever be attempted?
I think everyone itt agrees that Elden Ring would have been better as a more traditional FromSoft soulsgame.

The question is, does Elden Ring still count as an excellent game, despite some repeated content? I say yes, and also: it's the best open-world RPG in the past 20 years.

You're out of your mind if you think that this level of quality pertains to anything ever shat out by Ubeisoft.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Every open world game is like that.
Morrowind, The Faery Tale Adventure, The Witcher III, Conan: Exiles, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Kenshi, and Outward beg to differ. :M

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
When I think of Ubishit style open world games I think of climbing towers and having every area of interest automatically revealed on the map. It's so fucking gay, and that doesn't describe Elden Ring. You discover things more naturally. I'm glad more open world games are moving away from Ubisoft's patented garbage. I fucking despise that company and all of their games.
Do you really think the map markers are the only thing that makes ubisoft games what they are? ER's map is, in fact, in the same mold as an Ubi map, without the markers being revealed to you. Even though most open world games will have repeated content, ER's world map design and repartition of "activities" to do is very ubisofty. Oh, a camp of local mooks! oh, a carriage with an item at the back, I didn't expect to see that again! Oh, a dragon! good fking lord this game couldn't even resist spamming dragons. Of all the enemy types they had to do the copypasta on they had to make it seem like killing dragons is another saturday morning? is this skyrim? All the retards defending this right now wouldn't even have believed it if someone came on this thread before the game released and said this game would feature a spam of mediocre dragons to kill because this is too retarded by the standards From Soft used to set. If a leaker had mentioned things like these in a pre-release thread people would have called them a liar.

I don't get what's so subversive about this shit. It's an ubi game with Dark Souls gameplay. It's good because of the Dark Souls parts, and it's bad because of the open shit parts. They didn't change anything to the open world formula. Just removing the markers isn't a fking revolutionary move. You can remove the markers with a mod in Skyrim. Doesn't make the game any less shit.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Oh, a camp of local mooks! oh, a carriage with an item at the back, I didn't expect to see that again! Oh, a dragon! good fking lord this game couldn't even resist spamming dragons. Of all the enemy types they had to do the copypasta on they had to make it seem like killing dragons is another saturday morning? is this skyrim?
Well, yes. This is Skyrim + Dark Souls. When was there ever an open-world game that didn't suffer from basically every "flaw" you've mentioned? Even Moronwind had plenty of repetition. Oh look another cave with an Ascended Sleeper, oh here's another ancient Dunmer fort, oh yet another Ashlander camp, oh noooo, not everything is unique in MY OPEN-WORLD?!

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Elden Ring clones key story encounters like Godrick, Loretta, Astel, Mohg (ok, the "real" mohg has a second phase.. whatever) and others. It's all about scale, magnitude, and predictability of the pattern. This game goes above and beyond in copypasta and fixed structure. No, Morrowind never felt this formulaic in practice.

There is no "le open world" excuse for turning fking dragons into a trash encounter or for reusing Godrick. It could continue to function without these additions.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Then maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, just maybe, open world is a trash design that shouldn't ever be attempted?
Do you really think the map markers are the only thing that makes ubisoft games what they are? ER's map is, in fact, in the same mold as an Ubi map, without the markers being revealed to you. Even though most open world games will have repeated content, ER's world map design and repartition of "activities" to do is very ubisofty. Oh, a camp of local mooks! oh, a carriage with an item at the back, I didn't expect to see that again! Oh, a dragon! good fking lord this game couldn't even resist spamming dragons. Of all the enemy types they had to do the copypasta on they had to make it seem like killing dragons is another saturday morning? is this skyrim? All the retards defending this right now wouldn't even have believed it if someone came on this thread before the game released and said this game would feature a spam of mediocre dragons to kill because this is too retarded by the standards From Soft used to set. If a leaker had mentioned things like these in a pre-release thread people would have called them a liar.

I don't get what's so subversive about this shit. It's an ubi game with Dark Souls gameplay. It's good because of the Dark Souls parts, and it's bad because of the open shit parts. They didn't change anything to the open world formula. Just removing the markers isn't a fking revolutionary move. You can remove the markers with a mod in Skyrim. Doesn't make the game any less shit.

God damn, settle on an argument, dude. Is Ubisoft's style of open world bad or are ALL open world games bad no matter the execution??

I swear, if one more of you fucks comes in here and says "ER is bad because le Ubisoft", I'm gonna force you at gunpoint to write a twelve-page dissertation on what YOUR ideal open world game would be. What is this ever-elusive "Open-world with no Ubisoft-isms" platonic ideal of a game that lives in your heads?!

The grasping at straws when it comes to ER criticisms is unreal... especially considering how unnecessary it is. I would love it if y'all would more often bring up one of the game's actual, real flaws, of which there are many.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My truest ideal is no open world. I am clear about that. But I /also/ think ER is a particularly bad example of open world because even cancer has varying stages and on a scale of open shit from morrowind to ubisoft I certainly find Morrowind more palatable.

All the reviews talking about it "revolutionizing" open world was really grating. No, ER didn't fix anything that was wrong with the genre and it in fact committed more sins than average. How often do you see story characters of great importance copy pasted the way ER did? No, I'm not letting up. When you see a second astel in this filthy game design it really breaks any thought of From having self respect and integrity. There's no world in which meeting a second Godrick is tolerable. They're not random mooks or knight in armor 101.

Odoryuk

Educated
Did people forget about Flamelurker. You can't get much more demony than him.

demons-souls-ps5-flamelurker-1.jpg
This is not my Flamelurker. The hacks did him dirty, and his arena as well.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I didn't even notice that was remake Flamelurker. It's been so long since I played the original Demon's Souls I forgot what a lot of the designs look like.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
What is this ever-elusive "Open-world with no Ubisoft-isms" platonic ideal of a game that lives in your heads?!
Repeat after me:

Dragon's Dogma 2

"It has fast travel, it's a Ubisoft clone"

"It has a map with markers you can place, it's a Ubisoft clone"

"It has dungeons with rewards at the end, it's a Ubisoft clone"

"It has reused bosses, it's a Ubisoft clone"

What's something that both, can't be levied against DD2, but can against ER?

Odoryuk

Educated
I didn't even notice that was remake Flamelurker. It's been so long since I played the original Demon's Souls I forgot what a lot of the designs look like.
I find the area redesign even more blasphemous than the boss's one. They fucking added a dragon head as a part of the architecture, to a place where they were building a shrine many centuries ago when there was no dragon at all. Dragon God came to existence way later.
1VAqRWx.jpeg

I hate Bluepoint so much, hope they won't touch Bloodborne with their dirty hands.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Meh, I respect the remake as a technical marvel, and aesthetics put aside it is extremely faithful to the original. More than most remakes.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Old Flamelurker definitely looks way more badass. I don't think all the changes were bad though. The Maneaters look better in the remake.

1280x720.jpg

In the OG they just looked like generic gargoyles.

Terenty

Liturgist
What is this ever-elusive "Open-world with no Ubisoft-isms" platonic ideal of a game that lives in your heads?!
Repeat after me:

Dragon's Dogma 2

"It has fast travel, it's a Ubisoft clone"

"It has a map with markers you can place, it's a Ubisoft clone"

"It has dungeons with rewards at the end, it's a Ubisoft clone"

"It has reused bosses, it's a Ubisoft clone"

What's something that both, can't be levied against DD2, but can against ER?
DD is Gothics, M&M(6-9) open world sensibilities and design, ER is Ubisoft design. There's a gulf between the two.

Also DD2 topography is unmatched imho, forget gliders/horses to skip kilometres of map, because the map is fucking empty, no, every metre is handcrafted for you to explore and just moving, jumping and scaling things is a joy.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I swear, if one more of you fucks comes in here and says "ER is bad because le Ubisoft", I'm gonna force you at gunpoint to write a twelve-page dissertation on what YOUR ideal open world game would be. What is this ever-elusive "Open-world with no Ubisoft-isms" platonic ideal of a game that lives in your heads?!
This. "Muh carbon copy of Ubisoft open world design, what a PILE OF TRASH, just like S K Y R I M !!"

Die, Lutte.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom