Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Cunt Dickula!?

So that makes it bad?
Stealing a few seconds of my lifetime every time i have to do this action. And i have to do it a thousand times in a playthrough.
All this while it could easily be fixed by letting me assign it to one of the free keys on my keyboard.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It is very hard to judge Piranha Byte style game quality from gameplay footage. You have to play it yourself to see if that Gothic feeling is there or not.
I skipped around a bit in the video, and Gronkh was trying to find hidden loot with the jetpack while Pankratz spoke about exploration, maximal freedom and C&C, so that does not sound that bad I guess.
Gronkh really likes the new combat, they rebuild it from the ground up due to too many complaints about clunkyness. A bit worried about that, because Gronkh is a casual who got big with Minecraft and Point & Click Lps.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is so dreadfull about press and hold to confirm or complete an action?

If it's an action you only perform a handful of times in a playthrough, nothing.

If it's an action you perform constantly, like picking stuff up, it is fucking annoying. If you pick up 1000 items during the game and a quick less than a second long button press turns into a 2 second long button hold, that's a lot of wasted time, which makes you frustrated for no reason.

I hope either modders will fix it or it will be toggleable in the options menu.

But more importantly:
Are berserker chicks still gonna be barefoot?

Jinn

Arcane
The "pick up" animation is literally the same length as it was in ELEX, and similar to how it has been in almost every PB game. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. I fail to see the problem with any of the footage I watched, particularly if you were a fan of the first game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The "pick up" animation is literally the same length as it was in ELEX, and similar to how it has been in almost every PB game. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. I fail to see the problem with any of the footage I watched, particularly if you were a fan of the first game.
And two seconds on top of that for holding the button before getting the animation.

Cunt Dickula!?

Gronkh really likes the new combat, they rebuild it from the ground up due to too many complaints about clunkyness. A bit worried about that, because Gronkh is a casual who got big with Minecraft and Point & Click Lps.
Meh. New combat looks like you are able to stunlock the enemy eternally like in Gothic 3.

Peachcurl

Cipher

You are trolling, right?

Jinn

Arcane
You are trolling, right?

Please tell me what I said that was outrageous or wrong there. I don't want to hold a button down to pick up things in a PB game either, but it's such a minor addition that I can't see how it would ruin a game for people.

A big characteristic of the good PB games has always been the great impression of actually moving through and interacting with the game world, with mild simulationist aspects. Going through the motion to pick something up, consume something, etc. is a big part of that too. So having to engage with the act of picking something up a tiny bit longer is a minor problem for me. I would be much more upset if the pick up animation was removed entirely.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Please tell me what I said that was outrageous or wrong there. I don't want to hold a button down to pick up things in a PB game either, but it's such a minor addition that I can't see how it would ruin a game for people.

Okay, glad we at least agree that it is an issue.

The fact it's a minor (but at least to me, really annoying) addition just makes it more jarring to me. It's so easy to fix. Even more easy if they wouldn't spend time on implementing it in the first place.

But no, it won't ruin the game completely.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

Compared to Elex 1's early combat, it looks much easier and casual. Stamina is still a factor, but there is no more reliance on combos for proper damage.

BruceVC

Magister
You are trolling, right?

A big characteristic of the good PB games has always been the great impression of actually moving through and interacting with the game world, with mild simulationist aspects. Going through the motion to pick something up, consume something, etc. is a big part of that too. So having to engage with the act of picking something up a tiny bit longer is a minor problem for me. I would be much more upset if the pick up animation was removed entirely.
I must agree with you about how you feel certain issues raised by members are not convincing or maybe seem to more about nitpicking. I raised a similar point 2-3 weeks ago when I noticed a gameplay video was criticized primarily because of Jax voice and I honestly found it misplaced compared to everything the game delivers on
But then members pointed out the importance of how you can and should raise issues and the voice issue cant just be dismissed because I have no issue with it....anyway I did feel guilty about it
So even though of course members are welcome to complain I am glad you also feel these complaints are not big deals. The main point for me is we getting ELEX 2 and I only played ELEX 4 months ago and I took 110 hours to complete it

And as I always say it was the best PB I have ever played because it literally was the combination of everything that is great about Gothic and Risen and created a new world which is also unique because its a hybrid of fantasy and sci-fi

:cool:

Terenty

Liturgist
As others have mentioned the way he disposes of those monsters so easily is kinda bothersome. He just clicks them to death without any resistance Gothic 3 style.

I never understood complaints about Elex combat and if Piranha decided to fucking make it easy as fuck i will refund this shit

Jinn

Arcane
As others have mentioned the way he disposes of those monsters so easily is kinda bothersome. He just clicks them to death without any resistance Gothic 3 style.

I never understood complaints about Elex combat and if Piranha decided to fucking make it easy as fuck i will refund this shit

There will of course be different difficulty modes and the guy was obviously playing on baby mode.

Zlaja

Arcane
The Outlaws didn't have a strong worldview, a uniting ideology, unlike the Berserkers or the Clerics

Yeah, but they also weren't massive homos either. Also, the hole cleric ideology is based on a stupid misunderstanding, which can be easily debunked. If anything, they should be goners, after Jax finds out the truth about their origin, and spreads the word around.

they rebuild it from the ground up due to too many complaints about clunkyness

Most people who complained about 'clunky combat', and 'muh hitboxes', was your usual batch of retards.

but it's such a minor addition that I can't see how it would ruin a game for people

Who says it completely ruins the game? People are just annoyed by this stupid inclusion that wasn't there in the original.

I would be much more upset if the pick up animation was removed entirely

No one said anything about animations. Also, we aren't talking about removal of anything. We're discussing totally unnecessary additions.

There will of course be different difficulty modes and the guy was obviously playing on baby mode.

Since when do difficulty modes alter whether you can stunlock enemies to death?

Jinn

Arcane
Who says it completely ruins the game? People are just annoyed by this stupid inclusion that wasn't there in the original.

At least one person said they wouldn't play the game because of the addition, and it was someone who enjoyed the first game greatly.

No one said anything about animations. Also, we aren't talking about removal of anything. We're discussing totally unnecessary additions.

They have removed these types of things in the past, particularly with Risen 2. That's why I brought it up. The point I was making more than anything is that from the beginning of initiating a pick up of an item to the end of the animation is barely any different to how long it took in ELEX.

Since when do difficulty modes alter whether you can stunlock enemies to death?

It absolutely could have an effect if there is some kind of stagger stat tied into player strength versus enemy strength.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Outlaws didn't have a strong worldview, a uniting ideology, unlike the Berserkers or the Clerics

Yeah, but they also weren't massive homos either. Also, the hole cleric ideology is based on a stupid misunderstanding, which can be easily debunked. If anything, they should be goners, after Jax finds out the truth about their origin, and spreads the word around.
Them not being homos doesn't change a thing. It's about having a common purpose and vision, it makes the group cohesive. The Berserkers and the Clerics had that, even if for the Clerics it was based on a misunderstanding. They were driven and industrious. Outlaws were the opposite: they were only together as a way to maintain their independence from others. And that drive for independence and liberty makes everyone go their own way once what little keeps the group together is tested: in this case their Bomb plan failing, which would be reflected on their leader.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i skimmed the demo. i do agree the hold to loot is stupid, and wish it can be modified / changed with the control option.

otherwise the game looks fine. the environment looks great, the problem is plastic character model like everyone has this oily gloss over their skin and the dead expression face despite having great lip sync animation.

i wouldn't be too worried about jax stunlocking, most demo are set to be stupid easy because the player dying over and over again doesn't make for a good promo material. the game looks like it controls better, though I am still skeptical of them taking out the combo system and changed it with risen's hold for heavy attack because I enjoyed elex's combo bar build up. they should explore that mechanics deeper instead of taking it out IMO.

the world design/exploration looks good as ever and I love the cheeky placement like that coprse that's reaching for that sandwich, etc. dunno about the story and plot cos I don't speak german, but the CG is still out of place as ever before you meet the doc. like the locale in CG doesn't even match whatever is on screen during gameplay.

i am sure this wont release this year, but since the game is feature complete, I guess the rest of the work is polishing. overall, there are really some legit criticism to be have, but I am seeing more positive than negative here.

edit: you can add your own stickers on the map with various icons, which is 100x improvement over ELEX's map. that will encourage people exploring early, and able to mark chests with harder lock level to come back later.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
so i skimmed the demo. i do agree the hold to loot is stupid, and wish it can be modified / changed with the control option.

otherwise the game looks fine. the environment looks great, the problem is plastic character model like everyone has this oily gloss over their skin and the dead expression face despite having great lip sync animation.

i wouldn't be too worried about jax stunlocking, most demo are set to be stupid easy because the player dying over and over again doesn't make for a good promo material. the game looks like it controls better, though I am still skeptical of them taking out the combo system and changed it with risen's hold for heavy attack because I enjoyed elex's combo bar build up. they should explore that mechanics deeper instead of taking it out IMO.

the world design/exploration looks good as ever and I love the cheeky placement like that coprse that's reaching for that sandwich, etc. dunno about the story and plot cos I don't speak german, but the CG is still out of place as ever before you meet the doc. like the locale in CG doesn't even match whatever is on screen during gameplay.

i am sure this wont release this year, but since the game is feature complete, I guess the rest of the work is polishing. overall, there are really some legit criticism to be have, but I am seeing more positive than negative here.

edit: you can add your own stickers on the map with various icons, which is 100x improvement over ELEX's map. that will encourage people exploring early, and able to mark chests with harder lock level to come back later.
You have a good way of making objective and for me relevant comments about ELEX 2 and I notice its based on you watching most of the gameplay videos and then sharing your opinion which should be the most accurate way to understand and then critique what we know about ELEX 2

I dont generally ever watch any gameplay video longer than 2-3 minute by choice for the same reason I never get involved in early game releases or beta testing. I prefer the excitement of the final release of the game and thats always how I play all games
But I do believe that ELEX 2 is going to deliver on the same excellent RPG experience that games like ELEX 1 and Gothic series created because I absolutely trust PB will continue to use what they know works and their fans appreciate
It may sound weird for me to say " ELEX 2 is going to be excellent" without actually seeing real and detailed gameplay videos but I have confidence PB will do what they always do and then I can read posts like yours which just confirm what I already believe :cool:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It wouldn't be a PB game without pestering you with a few tiny but extremely obnoxious design quirks.

I remember running in Elex 1 drove me up the ceiling because there's this trolling mini-pause between pressing the run button and Jax actually starting to jog. :argh:

BruceVC

Magister

It wouldn't be a PB game without pestering you with a few tiny but extremely obnoxious design quirks.

I remember running in Elex 1 drove me up the ceiling because there's this trolling mini-pause between pressing the run button and Jax actually starting to jog. :argh:
:D, yes I am fanboy but I do remember those intermittent ....." issues " with ELEX and I cant recall all of them but I always remember how I ignored them or quickly found ways to mitigate their impact

But I like your description of "extremely obnoxious design quirks" .....its a really accurate way of defining what we all know and use to with any PB game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom