Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

JDR13

Arcane
Stop tweeting and give us a release date!

Dodo1610

Arcane
The guy on the artwork is carrying an assault rifle with a supressor. Hopefully they will add automatic guns in Elex 2.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
A hard "no" to assault rifles. That wouldn't make much sense given that we have laser and plasma weapons.

Cunt Dickula!?

I would love if there were pistols, assault rifles and miniguns in the next game even if it doesnt make sense from an itemization standpoint.
Alas... we only get a weird orc sword hook thing.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
assault rifles and miniguns
I think the issue is that they would trivialize many combat challenges and kill the fun in them. Why use the jetpack to close in, or carefully aim and track dodging enemies, when I can just spray in the general direction of the enemies at long range?

If there's a bullet sprayer in the game, I'd expect it to be an alien weapon that you can use for like one sequence in the game against enemies designed with it in mind, rather than a regular weapon.

Cunt Dickula!?

Well, there isn't any difference between the burst mode in plasma rifles which already exists in ELEX and actual assault rifles imo. It would just be a reskin.
You could balance the damage of the assault rifle of course which would make them ridicously weak (as effective as a bow).
That's kinda stupid, but in ELEX 1 you already have the same problem with plasma rifles at the moment.

Something like a mini gun would be a end level weapon when you are already overpowered. It could have similar specs to "The Mortal Beam" or smth.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, there isn't any difference between the burst mode in plasma rifles which already exists in ELEX and actual assault rifles imo. It would just be a reskin.
You could balance the damage of the assault rifle of course which would make them ridicously weak (as effective as a bow).
That's kinda stupid, but in ELEX 1 you already have the same problem with plasma rifles at the moment.
Right.

I never played with guns in ELEX, just assumed that given the combat system, it made no sense from a gameplay point of view for there to be high rate-of-fire automatic guns. I guess PB shit the bed on that one.

It's because I feel ranged weapons kill the challenge in PB games that I never play them with such weapons, except as utility / occasional support gear. Dodging and timing attacks always seemed central to their design, which makes melee much more fun IMO. It's been like that since Gothic 1.

Harthwain

Magister
Ranged weapons should work like flintlocks or crossbows - you fire one projectile and then switch to melee. Or another ranged weapon, if you have the gear to carry more than a single such item. Or fire a bow/bolt-action rifle a few times, before enemy closes the distance. That way you can still have ranged weapons and make use of them, without making them dominate the melee gameplay.

BruceVC

Magister
There were already shotguns in ELEX 1, dude.

Right, but a shotgun is a short to middle range weapon, so it made a little more sense.

I tend to agree that the inclusion of certain types of weapons would inherently change the overall excitement and combat challenge and its seems illogical that any of the fans of ELEX 1 would support anything that changes the success of certain mechanics that make ELEX what it is ..... we dont need an assault rifle in ELEX. Assault rifles make sense in games like far cry, STALKER or even Fallout but not in ELEX. If the actual lore and narrative of the game world means assault rifles dont exist in the mainstream sense why would we want to want in the game?

I loved the combat in ELEX because even at very high levels I could be defeated by powerful monsters, and that made the game both exciting and always a little challenging . I used hand to hand combat all the time but I used the plasma rifle once or twice when I faced enemies that used laser attacks on me so I had to kill them from a distance

razvedchiki

Erudite
in elex 1 there are lazer rifles that can burst (need to heavily spec into them though to kill mobs), and grenade/plasma/flamethrowers that triviliaze encounters by perma stunning mobs.

Cunt Dickula!?

If the actual lore and narrative of the game world means assault rifles dont exist in the mainstream sense why would we want to want in the game?
Problem is the actual lore and narrative (intro) means assault rifles/miniguns/pistols DO exist.

BruceVC

Magister
If the actual lore and narrative of the game world means assault rifles dont exist in the mainstream sense why would we want to want in the game?
Problem is the actual lore and narrative (intro) means assault rifles/miniguns/pistols DO exist.
Yes and I remember these items being used in the example of how factions fight wars but the ELEX world is also not suppose to about strong technologies defining the future or reality which is part of the impression you get about much of the world...many people simply believe technology failed them ?

So I can understand crossbows replacing any automatic weapon in a reality where people sometimes improvise ?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only thing I regularly used ranged weapons on in ELEX was the mechs, they are a bitch to fight in melee. I wouldn't mind if they'd tone down the power of guns in the second game, or at least severely restrict ammunition. Even with a late game character, you still can die or at least take a good chunk of damage in melee. With a plasma rifle, enemies die before they even realise they are in combat.

BruceVC

Magister
The only thing I regularly used ranged weapons on in ELEX was the mechs, they are a bitch to fight in melee. I wouldn't mind if they'd tone down the power of guns in the second game, or at least severely restrict ammunition. Even with a late game character, you still can die or at least take a good chunk of damage in melee. With a plasma rifle, enemies die before they even realise they are in combat.

Yes I remember Mechs were my hardest enemy because I wasnt able to defeat them in close combat because they had advanced weaponry so I used multiple grenades to weaken it and would hide behind something physical which forced the Mech to come to me and in that weakened state I would win ...I dont think I even considered seeing how plasma would work but its good tip if I dont want a challenge but to be honest I want to play games like ELEX where I need to put some effort into combat because its more rewarding for me to develop strategies that work but not because of an overpowered item

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I always carry a few low tech ranged weapons from the Outlaw faction. Role-playing purposes yeah but also because they could be fun as hell to use, just fucking around type or thing.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like ELEX II will take part in the same area as the first game. With some changes no doubt, getting strong Gothic I -> Gothic II vibes.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Right.

I never played with guns in ELEX, just assumed that given the combat system, it made no sense from a gameplay point of view for there to be high rate-of-fire automatic guns. I guess PB shit the bed on that one.

It's because I feel ranged weapons kill the challenge in PB games that I never play them with such weapons, except as utility / occasional support gear. Dodging and timing attacks always seemed central to their design, which makes melee much more fun IMO. It's been like that since Gothic 1.
I played with the elex overhaul, the auto weapon problem can be solved with some tweaks to enemy behavior and the stun thing. Auto weapon with high rate of fire have very low stopping power, and enemies can easily counter by charging or shooting. Low rate of fire means more stopping power, and it should play the stagger animation more. The spread and accuracy could also be tweaked so burst fire can only be effective at certain distance. It's not perfect, for RPG, especially with melee as a big part of the combat. You'd just have the same problems bethesda style fallout have and the other shooting RPGs have.

But considering PB never have carefully balanced ranged combat, i don't expect they will put extra care in balancing guns

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom