Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Can't wait to play this. Might as well do a new playthrough of Elex. Shit trailer music though

ferratilis

Magister
There's a preview on Gamestar website

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/elex-2-preview,3370730.html
The rough outline: what is Elex 2?
The absolutely most important information first: Yes, there is a chainsaw broadsword again in Elex 2, yeah! Elex 2 plays a few years after its predecessor - and what is bad news for the inhabitants of the game world should please fans again. The world of Magalan still doesn't get it on the chain to leave its own post-apocalyptic devastation behind. So a mix of dense fantasy forests, weathered skyscrapers and science fiction innovations is waiting for you. Here are the basic facts:

Story and quests
  • You play again as Ex-Alb Jax, but there will be no savegame import from Elex 1. As in Gothic 2, you lose your skills and can decide again which path your non-nameless hero should take.
  • Anyone who has played Elex 1 will know: A new threat hangs over the world. But nobody wants to believe Jax, which is why he fell out with the old factions and went into exile. In Elex 2, he returns from oblivion to convince people of his cause.
  • According to Piranha Bytes, none of their games have had as many dialogues and storylines as Elex 2. By the end of the credits you are busy an average of 60 hours, 100 percent natures naturally need significantly longer - and the factions mean that there is always a high replay value.
  • There will be more than three factions, but the parties still represent certain character classes or weapon types.
  • It is still unclear how many factions are completely new. But we speculate that at least berserkers and outlaws will return.
  • The companion system returns: Jax hires familiar and new companions to accompany him through the rugged wilderness. As part of the quest, there should be significantly more decisions and hard consequences.
Open world
  • Elex 2 offers a new open world that consists partly of old and partly of new regions. The old areas have been changed drastically over the years and by the hearts of the world, but you also travel to completely new areas. So overall like in Gothic 2.
  • Your jetpack not only allows you to float, but you can also jet through the landscape like Boba Fett. But only after a few upgrades.
  • Children are now a part of the play world.
  • The nights in Elex 2 are significantly darker than in the predecessor. But hey, now you've got a flashlight for that.
Further gameplay adjustments
  • Little changes in the classes: You can play as a ranged fighter, magician, thug or a mishmash.
  • Because you are now more agile in the air, there is also pure air combat against other flying opponents. So Jax can fight gargoyles at a height of 20 meters.
  • The moral system has been revised: Instead of a cold value for Jax's emotional state, there is now "creation" and "destruction". Whoever kills defenseless sheep, for example, increases the destruction value. This new moral system is closely interlinked with the parliamentary groups - more on this below in the article.
Technically, you can see Elex 2's leap forward, even if you still can't expect the smoothness of a 1,500-person Ubisoft production, for example, with the animations.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyone who likes Elex and hasn't played The Technomancer really ought to give it a blast.

I fucking loved it. Spiders same as PB in that there's a million unpolished, B-movie clunky elements which you have to work around, but playing as a Rogue it was a great time.
Technomancer is a great game. The world Spiders created was great as well. I liked Greedfall but I think Technomancer was way better. Pity we won't have a new Technomancer game made by Spiders again. They don't have the IP rights anymore:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They don't have the IP rights anymore
seriously?
what the fuck
To fund Technomaner they had to sign a contract with the publisher that gave them the right to Technomancer. They were bought by another publisher so they don't have the right to do another Technomancer game. That was what Jehanne told me
The fuck??? Just technomancer or the whole mars universe? Because they can always make new ip with shared universe ala mars wars log and technomancer

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Technically, you can see Elex 2's leap forward, even if you still can't expect the smoothness of a 1,500-person Ubisoft production, for example, with the animations.

poor excuse. You dont need gigantic development teams to have smooth animations and combat. These fuckers are already making excuses for their low effort janky combat, animations, character models and everything else that demands any kind of talent to develop.

Just look at what sloclap manages to pull off with Absolver and Sifu

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They don't have the IP rights anymore
seriously?
what the fuck
To fund Technomaner they had to sign a contract with the publisher that gave them the right to Technomancer. They were bought by another publisher so they don't have the right to do another Technomancer game. That was what Jehanne told me
The fuck??? Just technomancer or the whole mars universe? Because they can always make new ip with shared universe ala mars wars log and technomancer
Seems it was just the Technomancer trademark. But I assume that includes everything related to Technomancer and Mars War Logs as well. Given that there is a Technomancer in there as well. But I think nothing stops them from using Mars for a game again. They could just use new characters and new "Technomancer" order but just under a new name etc. But knowing how publishers are, they will most likely sue if Spiders were to try making a new game using Mars as the game world. Which fucking sucks because I liked Mars War Logs and The Technomancer. The world they created for both games were great

Deadass

Savant

poor excuse. You dont need gigantic development teams to have smooth animations and combat. These fuckers are already making excuses for their low effort janky combat, animations, character models and everything else that demands any kind of talent to develop.

yeah bitch but can u fly in these games? i don't think so

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Do you really think it will "feel" like flying? Elex was supposed to have jump jets, but in reality the implementation was terrible and never felt right, especially compared to the other game that managed to use the mechanic, ME Andromeda, developed by a bunch of danger hairs barely out of school.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck, I'm excited.

I just hope they get the game balance a little better this time. The power transitions in Elex were a little too rough. And enemy armor too binary (either you penetrate or forget it.. or spam granades I guess).
Needing minimum Tier 1 weaponry to be able to fight somewhat competently even vs starting mobs didn't feel right.
Fighting vs groups never felt right. Combat system seemed to be made with duels in mind... but outside of some faction quarrels, you almost never fight 1 on 1.

In Gothic 2 the transition from peasant who can't hold his sword right to a hero was far smoother/better.
LoL what a heretic,disgusting balance in PB game.
tenor.gif
not balance in josh sawyer way, but something between "fuck little rats kill me" and "trolls? mega mutants? i stomp them like cockroaches". i hope they do something to make the transition between very weak and super-powered smoother. i heard elex overhaul does this so I am playing with it now.
Nah,early hard game is the best thing about PB games. Once you become powerful makes sense to kill shit without problems. It is not like you could kill trolls at level one in ELEX,unlike Gothic games.

I'm not arguing against hard early game. I actually liked that aspect of G2 a lot.
But with some skill, patience and enemy moveset familiarity, you could beat much stronger opponents then your level would indicate in Gothic.

In Elex its more like "LOL, you don't have a faction enhanced weapon (and minimum level 10 stats to wield it)? that's not even gonna leave a scratch in my super-armor, get lost scrub".
Playing for like 10-15 hours without the capability to fight anyone, even those starter bugs, is too much.
And eventually you rolfstomp every singular enemy, you don't need to learn movesets or anything, you simply stunlock enemies to death.

In Gothic 2 the start was hard, but fair. You could try your luck with those goblins or bug Field Raiders. It wasn't easy, but with some practice you could fight them nearly from the start.
And you always needed to watch out for enemy movesets and tells, as some enemies were very deadly.
Same with elex lol,you just have to get used to the enemy and beat them in to a pulp. Don't know what you mean by enemy armour,high level enemies at the start needed more arrows and that was it for me. If too hard,just and drop grenades. But yeah the game does have shitty melee combat,maybe that is the problem for you.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Do you really think it will "feel" like flying? Elex was supposed to have jump jets, but in reality the implementation was terrible and never felt right, especially compared to the other game that managed to use the mechanic, ME Andromeda, developed by a bunch of danger hairs barely out of school.

Maybe the ELEX jetpack was made by German engineers. Please understand.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They copied XCOM, and Mass effect. Congratulations.

Also the "morality" system isn't working well. (I could design something far better for ELEX.) (In fact JAX pissed off faction system would work well considering the world.) When I played Disco Elysium at the ending there was: "he's xxx and xxx I don't know how he managed to do both, but he did". Also I managed to get both chief racist title and not piss Kim.

In comparison ELEX 2 has "Black and White 2" system.

Third problem is the flying stuff that would simply allow easily avoid enemies on ground and allow to get everywhere. It kinda gives me Divinity 2 dragon form... AA EVERYWHERE when you flew as dragon in Divinity 2. And that will not be nice for ELEX 2 gameplay.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Technomancer is a great game. The world Spiders created was great as well. I

I disagree. The """technomancer""" is just a sci fi melee lightning mutant. It is awful. You only use proper technomancy in cutscenes. Now, Elex has potential to have cool technomancy. Imagine conjuring gravity fields or EMP fields, chain lightning enemy robots taking control over enemy tech and so on. That would be cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom