Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zarniwoop said:
Seriously how do you git gud in this game?

Even the first quests need you to go halfway accross the map accross BIG FUKKEN RAT infested terrain with your puny Short Sword of Shittyness +1 that can't even damage them.

How do you ever level up sufficiently when there are no doable quests, combat is damn near impossible and you can't use anything you pick up because you need 53 STR instead of the 10 you have?

1. Nice Hitchhiker's reference.

2. I suspect you're talking about the murder investigation. That's an outlier in how far it takes you through Edan, but the trick is to use your jetpack, running ability and stealth to stay alive. I picked my battles very wisely, and ran from 90% of the things I encountered.

1. I didn't make one??

2. That and the one where you have to bring back reports of 3 cities. Can't get into the first one because the guy that's supposed to give me a fake ID is in a house guarded by 3 BIG FUKKEN INVINCIBLE RATS and only has one way in.

How do you ever level up sufficiently when there are no doable quests, combat is damn near impossible and you can't use anything you pick up because you need 53 STR instead of the 10 you have?

I had this same feeling until I finished Duras's quest to recruit him and then used/abused the companions to get through all the early content.

HOW??????

When I talk to him, the only option is: "Do we make a good team?", he says yes and then DURAS RESPECTS YOU comes on screen. He doesn't come with you though. Some "respect" that is. Could be a bug.

Volken

Scholar

Even the first quests need you to go halfway accross the map accross BIG FUKKEN RAT infested terrain with your puny Short Sword of Shittyness +1 that can't even damage them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbUy7gPSCM

Just as the guide for ultra difficulty says - build strong economy first / abuse companions / abuse elex potions to max combat stats after you build strong income from social / crafting. Loot and steal everything and explore map to amass $$. Fighting monsters is the endgame. Quests rarerly have only-combat solutions - even if they do you can buy Alb one-time-use spells and with companion tanking for you can do it. ;)

Btw you can get Arx companion without any prequest - just explore the map while running away from everything till you get rich enough to invest in combat.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
G3 is a bad example in general, in it's unpatched state the wild boars were stronger than elite Orcs. Risen 3 is the only that comes to mind, having horrid enemy placement. G1 had the swamp sharks and the sleeper camp aka weed wizards warned you to stay away from. G2 had bad enemy placement in the Old Valley, they just used a 3d printer and vomited Orcs everywhere.
What I mean is they took a negative/bad design aspect from their previous games and amplified it to the maximum. Apparently this is their idea of good game design nowadays, or they simply needed to inject some artificial difficulty, seeing as they copied dark souls' controls, why not copy it's artificial difficulty. I guess in the next Elex they'll remove saving for the true souls like experience.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Just as the guide for ultra difficulty says - build strong economy first / abuse companions / abuse elex potions to max combat stats after you build strong income from social / crafting. Loot and steal everything and explore map to amass $$. Fighting monsters is the endgame. Quests rarerly have only-combat solutions - even if they do you can buy Alb one-time-use spells and with companion tanking for you can do it. ;)

Btw you can get Arx companion without any prequest - just explore the map while running away from everything till you get rich enough to invest in combat.

Ah. This white deathmachine is Arx. I just saw him and ran the fuck away like everything else. Thought he was another Alb.

heh. He is an alb. The plot thickens.

ortucis

Prophet
Loving it. The inventory is fucking retarded. And it's annoying as hell that the hippieserkers constantly bitch at me any time I open my inventory, check my map, or use my jetpack. Come on! That's 90% of the reason I'm not joining their faction.

Haha, at first I would go into some quiet corner to avoid people see me use my tech in Berserker camp, until I realized that they just complain and that's it, you can still keep using your tech.

But the biggest reason not go join them was probably that they are just plain stupid. Using Elex to create mana to use magic while whining about Elex tech and Albs doing the same. Not to mention, their world hearts seem like a bad idea, plus, they are using them to expand their own territory (like into Outlaw).

Went with Cleric's instantly. Seems like the only sane choice so far. Though I wanted to join the Alb Separatists but there was no clear way to join them (I still haven't found their base). Not to mention, there is no skill tree for them so I doubt it they are even a choice.

EDIT: Oh BTW, if anyone hasn't realized it yet, AF is broken in this game. 16x is like 2 AF. I had to force it in nVidia CP to 16x. I force 16x by default in CP for everything so that's why I didn't notice. Re-installed my drivers and noticed how blurry the game looks without forcing it. But forcing AF can produce occasional artifacts, just reload the last save to fix.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
People are so overwhelmed that they got true CRPG instead of RPG like Fallout 4, that they think it's good game instead of medocre.
Nope, it's not good. It's just rare.

Zarniwoop said:
1. I didn't make one??

Your name.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence, but there is a character named Zarniwoop in HHGG.

2. That and the one where you have to bring back reports of 3 cities. Can't get into the first one because the guy that's supposed to give me a fake ID is in a house guarded by 3 BIG FUKKEN INVINCIBLE RATS and only has one way in.

For what it is worth, I never even saw that 3 cities quest. I hated the Berserkers and quickly switched gears to do my own thing.

As to getting Duras to join you, you have to fully complete the murder investigation before he is willing to leave.

Getting him (and the others) helped a lot, but I pretty much ran from combat for the first 11 hours (and I'm on Normal). It wasn't until I equipped a melee weapon doing 47 damage that I started holding my own (and got decent basic tier armor.. 12 ~ 14 protection rating stuff). I can still be two shotted by a lot of stuff, but I can dish it out fairly well too. Also, you want to get your stamina up and make sure you're getting the special attack to pop up.

Volken

Scholar

Ah. This white deathmachine is Arx. I just saw him and ran the fuck away like everything else. Thought he was another Alb.

heh. He is an alb. The plot thickens.

Yeah and you can walk with him into every major city which is kinda lame but meh I guess it's the gameplay>lore decision. It's funny when NPC talk to you about killing Albs and he stands next to them just like that. ;)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Zarniwoop said:
1. I didn't make one??

Your name.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence, but there is a character named Zarniwoop in HHGG.

For what it is worth, I never even saw that 3 cities quest. I hated the Berserkers and quickly switched gears to do my own thing.

As to getting Duras to join you, you have to fully complete the murder investigation before he is willing to leave.

Yeah my name hasn't changed in the 7 years I've been here but thanks.

The 3 cities is for Ragnar.

But yeah looks like this game is a running-away simulator rather than a normal do quests, level up, then go to a new area thing.

Seems to confuse the hell out of reviewers.

Tigranes

Arcane
Loving it. The inventory is fucking retarded. And it's annoying as hell that the hippieserkers constantly bitch at me any time I open my inventory, check my map, or use my jetpack. Come on! That's 90% of the reason I'm not joining their faction.

Haha, at first I would go into some quiet corner to avoid people see me use my tech in Berserker camp, until I realized that they just complain and that's it, you can still keep using your tech.

But the biggest reason not go join them was probably that they are just plain stupid. Using Elex to create mana to use magic while whining about Elex tech and Albs doing the same. Not to mention, their world hearts seem like a bad idea, plus, they are using them to expand their own territory (like into Outlaw).

Went with Cleric's instantly. Seems like the only sane choice so far. Though I wanted to join the Alb Separatists but there was no clear way to join them (I still haven't found their base). Not to mention, there is no skill tree for them so I doubt it they are even a choice.

EDIT: Oh BTW, if anyone hasn't realized it yet, AF is broken in this game. 16x is like 2 AF. I had to force it in nVidia CP to 16x. I force 16x by default in CP for everything so that's why I didn't notice. Re-installed my drivers and noticed how blurry the game looks without forcing it. But forcing AF can produce occasional artifacts, just reload the last save to fix.

The clerics are just as distasteful for me because of how cultlike they seem. I don't like being kidnapped and I don't like having preachers and cathedrals and shit while they pretend to be above all that. With Berserkers they harp on about laws and couple of them are anal about it, but you see evevrywhere that in the end they are human and even some warlords are pretty flexible about letting things roll. To me it's all a toss up. Went Berserkers this time, will go Clerics next time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(warps into other faction camps clad in cleric armor armed with plasma rifle, psi field crackling)
(gets showered with fetch quests)
praise MMO design!

time to steal some mugs. :shittydog:
Only fine mugs are good enough for me.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
HOW??????

When I talk to him, the only option is: "Do we make a good team?", he says yes and then DURAS RESPECTS YOU comes on screen. He doesn't come with you though. Some "respect" that is. Could be a bug.

It's the murder investigation quest. You just gotta run/fly past the mobs. The sunglasses that show enemies on the radar help.

Failing that, just get Arx. He's sitting on the side of the road on the way north. No quest to recruit him, can't miss him.

ortucis

Prophet

The clerics are just as distasteful for me because of how cultlike they seem. I don't like being kidnapped and I don't like having preachers and cathedrals and shit while they pretend to be above all that. With Berserkers they harp on about laws and couple of them are anal about it, but you see evevrywhere that in the end they are human and even some warlords are pretty flexible about letting things roll. To me it's all a toss up. Went Berserkers this time, will go Clerics next time.

Berserkers condemn people to death or exile constantly. I have completed so many side quests where people have been exiled for breaking stupid laws. At least Clerics don't kill people for everything, they just brainwash them. Seems like a waste to kill people for just carrying ELEX tech, in a world where they need all the bodies for a war against superior force.

Sure Clerics are cult-like, but it's the kind of cult that is effective against an enemy with giant mechs and laser weapons. :P

Anyway, I will join Outlaws the next time cause they seem far more interesting than Berserkers to me.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Can someone gift me ELEX on Steam? I really want to play incline without pirating it, I have no money. :( :negative:

I would return the favor in the future.

Do you expect to have money in the future?

If not how will the favor be returned?

Just curious.

Tigranes

Arcane
Funnily enough, I never found this Arx fellow. Guess I took some weird routes.

On that link, WTF is with the sunglasses hidden DR? That is just crazy. (I guess it doesn't matter because we were all wearing them, day and night, right?)

Looks like:
  • Attribs are prereqs and not benefits in and of themselves
  • HP Skill (+10) > Armour Skill (-5 DMG)
  • 3x benefit for food eating means Good Eater is arguably worthwhile for early game
  • Balanced is the way to go for melee

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
(I guess it doesn't matter because we were all wearing them, day and night, right?)

I don't because all the fucking highlights on everything annoyed me when I took them on for the first time...

borealesad.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Clerics are chilly bros when you get to know them. They are clean of elex. They only trust practical tech instead of growing giant eggs which may hatch murder dragons later. And they don't build doom devices for lulz. They use mind tricks on each other for lulz and go "oh ho ho, good one, almost got me jedi brother".

They also have girls in plugsuits.

How I see it, Vikings have means to turn deserts into paradises with food, while Clerics have tech to make infrastructure. Outlaws have a bomb to blow up planet.

The+first+deus+ex+was+the+bomb+_3f456cf5516db4ddde903339a7dbcba7.jpg

bataille

Arcane
At least Clerics don't kill people for everything, they just brainwash them.

You need to visit their local executioner for a perspective on their opinion about killing unbelievers and heretics. Hagan has a strong opinion as well.
Also, the whole Wolf-Eli scenario...

Murk

Arcane
I also never met Arx. huh, weird. But then I intentionally avoid streets for fear of murderhobo groups where-in their murder to hobo ratio is far greater than my own.

Something to try when I get home I guess. I did get Falk, CRONY (lol), Ray, and Duras tho.

Side note, very fun fight dealing with unlimited rad-splosion reaver leader near the dam. God dam(n) it took forever to melee him to death, even after using barrel explosions.

Also I disagree with sword + board = faster swinging speed than just sword, but whatever I guess.

Yeah my name hasn't changed in the 7 years I've been here but thanks.
What makes you think I've even seen you before? Have you seen me? Look at my join date and post count.

The 3 cities is for Ragnar.

But yeah looks like this game is a running-away simulator rather than a normal do quests, level up, then go to a new area thing.

Seems to confuse the hell out of reviewers.

As for running-away simulator, it likely is that for the first few levels. Thankfully, a large majority of the early quests aren't dependent on combat. I sucked balls at it but was more than capable of gaining 8 levels (before becoming competitive).

For example: I was given a quest to gather an item off a corpse, which was surrounded by 5 monsters that could one-hit me. The quest was get the item, not kill the monsters. Being basically made of paper, I had to use my wits to achieve success, not my brawn.

In the end, I found this made me have to be more creative and thoughtful. Your mileage may vary.

Tigranes

Arcane
Clerics are chilly bros when you get to know them. They are clean of elex. They only trust practical tech instead of growing giant eggs which may hatch murder dragons later. And they don't build doom devices for lulz. They use mind tricks on each other for lulz and go "oh ho ho, good one, almost got me jedi brother".

They also have girls in plugsuits.

How I see it, Vikings have means to turn deserts into paradises with food, while Clerics have tech to make infrastructure. Outlaws have a bomb to blow up planet.

(I'm not a super fan of Berserkers either, but to play devil's advocate)

Honestly I think it's a lot to do with how we are hard-wired now to trust science and technology such that it seems impossible to imagine anything good coming out of abandoning it. It's like book-burning. The Bersekers, rightly or wrongly, are a hard sell to begin with once you see the Pit (especially because it's also tied to the gameplay allure of tech goodies).

Again, I think clerics are mostly alright, but it would have been interesting to play up the AI going loco angle or the pernicious effects of their religiousifying more (maybe they do later on?); no faction can have a clean no-cost solution while building up power to defeat the Albs, which is a lesson the game generally does a good job at. Mana/World Hearts obviously have a lot more to do with Elex than Berserkers would admit, but they do follow a quite scientific and controlled procedure for working with it.

Outlaws are fucking crazy but there's many signs that they were pretty reasonable under Baxter's leadership & now there are many disgruntled Baxter loyalists floating around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom