Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you want to destroy your game by all means go Cleric and get black hole asap.
Cleric is fun even without Black Hole though. Never used it. When I tried it, it felt kinda meh, lacked the impact of melee arms.

Melee Cleric with a Warhammer all the way! The Cleric decoy and fake death powers make you essentially immortal and capable of trading blows with enemies. Plus you can spam a nice point-blank shockwave.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Trailer for Elex is good and it does work.
What he actually doing? - creating emotional impression.
Same like primer in the cartridge works - igniting a powder.
It makes impression, an image - and that work and quite good in my opinion.
Maybe it doesn't work - for people without imagination I guess, oh well...

Mustawd

I think they just expect anyone playing to be familiar with how things work by now.
They shouldn't try to dissuade players by just making things hard, people are just going to try and cheese the fight because in most games challenging = big reward.

A level recommendation or something for those "go here kill X" quest wouldn't hurt though.

:what:

[Sarcasm] Been re-playing Gothic 1, and what it really needs is MMO-like level numbers above enemy heads....Jesus

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
Been re-playing Gothic 1, and what it really needs is MMO-like level numbers above enemy heads....Jesus

No, it doesn't. The danger and power of the enemy it telegraphed to the player through size, appearance, location. This is a much better way to inform the player of the threat at hand through in-game cues, rather than some number floating above the enemy's head.

Mustawd

Been re-playing Gothic 1, and what it really needs is MMO-like level numbers above enemy heads....Jesus

No, it doesn't. The danger and power of the enemy it telegraphed to the player through size, appearance, location. This is a much better way to inform the player of the threat at hand through in-game cues, rather than some number floating above the enemy's head.

I was being sarcastic.

EDIT: Edited previous post to indicate.

Morkar Left

I really enjoyed Elex a lot. I think the issue with mainstream "RPG Lovers" only know Skyrim and Witcher 3. So they expect the game to hold your hand the whole time. And the moment they realise they aren't super OP from the start and actually need to learn by playing they say it's shit. Once Elex clicks it becomes really good. Most game reviewers also faggots and they scored it very low. Same with The Technomancer, it scored low and I loved it. When I saw the low review scores from autistic reviewers I knew Elex was going to be great
No, it's common knowledge that game reviewers only play a game for a couple of hours, hence games investing all time and effort on the first half of a game. Also there bigger events and more dramatic shit in the beginning. I think in Skyrim you save the world as a mage in like the first mage guild quest. This is called the unfortunate reality of the games industry.

PB created a game with a video showing the game as you can play as skyrim, play as fallout, or play as some third option. PB didn't tell anyone the first 10 hours are dialog quests, and if you don't get it, you are approaching it wrong. The problem is not with the gamer. They sold this as an action game in the videos. I personally like the game, but they can't blame anyone but themselves for the bad reviews.

Now where would anyone get the impression this is a mad max/fallout/skyrim hybrid game. Oh yeah...

But he isn't fighting in the whole trailer. He's just walking by and hasn't even a weapon.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I finally picked this up yesterday and finished downloading this morning. Playing on max difficulty. Mouse and keyboard controls seem fine aside from the auto-dodge when you double tap a directional key. Jetpack is fun and good for avoiding those annoying falls when exploring/climbing. I'm planning to go full ranged/mobility build with long range guns. (if it's viable) Faction wise I'm leaning towards the Outcasts (?) for their post-apoc vibe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Looking at the trailer now again. I have to admit that you do have a point. Trailer does give the wrong impression of what Elex is

Do you mean this?

if you look at my comment you will see I was referring to the specific trailer I commented on and not this one.

Both are good trailers. Unnecessary for me tho, seeing how i will buy anything PB.

PB makes great games

aeroaeko

Learned
I am 18.5 hours in and i am STILL having trouble fighting anything, especially with more than one enemy at a time. WTF how much longer until i can fight and where do i get better armour. I have a firesword thing that does like 100 damage but i still need to level more to get enough dex. I'm getting kind of sick of running from everything.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am 18.5 hours in and i am STILL having trouble fighting anything, especially with more than one enemy at a time. WTF how much longer until i can fight and where do i get better armour. I have a firesword thing that does like 100 damage but i still need to level more to get enough dex. I'm getting kind of sick of running from everything.
Git gud?

Skdursh

Savant
Stop crying like a bitch and git gud.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Watch this video, as the game does a bad job of explaining this. Once you get in this mode, combat gets tollerable, but even with lock turned off, combat is still needlessly annoying when fighting multiple enemies.

Deleted Member 16721

You're not supposed to fight much until about 30 hours in and you have a companion, too. That's how it's designed. Stick to small critters until you're leveled up enough and have good equipment.

Deleted Member 16721

Not really. I played on Ultra for over 200 hours. It takes a long time before you start fighting anything "serious". You can still fight Young rats, young critters, whatever, but dealing with tougher enemies (the raptor things, etc.) it's going to take awhile. Then again I play slow so it took me a bit longer. You can kill normal critters and what not earlier. A companion is important, though.

ortucis

Prophet
You're not supposed to fight much until about 30 hours in and you have a companion, too. That's how it's designed. Stick to small critters until you're leveled up enough and have good equipment.

I agree but it isn't 30 hours.

More like 1-2 hours. You fight little guys and run while gaining XP from conversations and easy quests. Lure harder enemies towards NPC's, especially during quests. Trigger as many quests and loot whatever you can (even if you're not trying to level up your thieving skills, I wasn't) and sell it.

Combat is not hard at all. Got used to it in the first hour fighting the little guys. Then again, I never understood the bitching about combat in PB games. Always was easy thing to learn, but apparently players who "get it" are a minority.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom