Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Funded.

Not sure if :incline: or :decline:

bonescraper

Well, at least it's not an MMO like that other game that got funded recently.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, because God forbid we compete against real players every once in a while rather than a series of scripts.

"That other game" isn't a cRPG. Ergo, the usual mindless Codex whingeing about about multiplayer is completely irrelevant. "That other game" is a sandbox space combat and trading sim, and I welcome the opportunity to fight other players. "That other game" also includes a branching single-player campaign and mod-able, user-hosted multiplayer—which really ought to satisfy those who are too old, myopic and/or decrepit to handle computer games that don't proceed at the pace of a play-by-mail game of chess.

Regvard

Arcane
Yes, because God forbid we compete against real players every once in a while rather than a series of scripts.

"That other game" isn't a cRPG. Ergo, the usual mindless Codex whingeing about about multiplayer is completely irrelevant. "That other game" is a sandbox space combat and trading sim, and I welcome the opportunity to fight other players. "That other game" also includes a branching single-player campaign and mod-able, user-hosted multiplayer—which really ought to satisfy those who are too old, myopic and/or decrepit to handle computer games that don't proceed at the pace of a play-by-mail game of chess.

Edgy. :roll:

I'm happy that it got funded. I don't know if the game will be full of derp or not (possible) but David Braben deserves it: he's a legend and has done a lot for the medium. You could reply that this asshole Molyneux also, but Braben has not spouted bullshit and churned out crappy games for years to the point where he's totally deluded (see Lord British for another shiny example). Let him do "Dangerous" and if it turns Molyneuesque then he'll deserve no quarters; but for the time being, the guy needs a break from being forced financially to do stupid casual games. Even Jane Jensen (god bless her soul) was forced to do hidden objects games to survive at one point.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

It's a lot better than this "HURRRR STUR SUTUZUN PUH 2 WUN MMO :mad:" textual fecal matter some of these manboons insist on spraying everywhere.

Apparently they're so rectally demolished that they feel the need to whinge about the game not only in related threads, but also in completely unrelated threads.

Runciter

Augur
The concept renders with technical detail like engine vectoring plates or variable radiators make me feel giddy like a schoolgirl who's just met Justin Bieber. Incline or decline, I want more!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's time to start placing bets before we know how this Kickstarter will pan out.

I bet a $100 donation to the Codex that he'll at least meet his goal, meaning if he doesn't meet it, I'll donate $100 to the Codex... in addition to an undisclosed amount I already planned on donating at some point whenever I got around to it.

You saw it here folks, right on the first page!

Looks like my $100 is safe. Elite: Dangerous is currently £266,000 over the funding goal... a week ago, I never would have predicted it.

The next two years will be a good time for space sims. Elite: Dangerous, Limit Theory, Star Citizen, and X: Rebirth will all be putting in an appearance.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
They're not space sims, they're arcade shooters with space-themed skyboxes.

Tell me, which space sims do you consider to be the pinnacle of the genre? Chances are, I've played them. To me, you sound like an Asperger's sufferer squealing about imaginary decline because it's the thing to do.

bonescraper

Independence War 2. It's not an arcade shooter. It's a genuine spaceship experience.

That's pretty much what his elaborate explanation will look like.

potatojohn

Arcane
Tell me, which space sims do you consider to be the pinnacle of the genre? Chances are, I've played them. To me, you sound like an Asperger's sufferer squealing about imaginary decline because it's the thing to do.
None of them are space sims. It's like calling HAWX a flight sim.

And if complaining about this absurd mislabeling is spergy then sperg on.

bonescraper

Comparing genuine flight simulators to action games you hold in high regard (such as IW2) is ridiculous. The joke's on you.

Raapys

Arcane
I've played pretty much all of them and yeah, IW2 really is the best space game experience. There are arguably better space games out there, as a whole, but for the actual flying part no game I've played really manages to reach it. The reason they do arcade instead of simulation is because arcade's supposed to be more fun to play, but it hasn't really worked out for space games. Not sure why. Maybe the system they're replacing it with just sucks.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
None of them are space sims. It's like calling HAWX a flight sim.

And if complaining about this absurd mislabeling is spergy then sperg on.

You're as intellectually dishonest as they come, aren't you? I'd be ashamed to spout such twaddle.

I will allow that the X series, with its simple flight mechanics and lack of Newtonian physics, can be construed as arcade-y... although that ignores its fleet dynamics and automation, complex economy and sandbox elements. Limit Theory too appears arcade-y in the flight mechanics department, although again, it will feature fleet dynamics, procedural generation and complex sandbox elements. This is more than enough to qualify each of the two games as space trading, exploration, building and combat simulations, if not cockpit-based, jet fighter-style, realistic simulators. There are many different kinds of computer simulations, and space-based simulations do not need to emulate the NASA orbiter in order to qualify as sims.

Yes, most hardcore aeroplane and helicopter SIMULATORS (particularly industrial/commercial examples) are as true-to-life as their developers and designers can make them. Super-realistic physics, weather conditions, tons of dials, switches and levers that function as they would in real life, and so on. Space sims do not need to strive for that level of realism in order to be considered space sims.

In short, I hate you and I hope you choke to death on your own vomit... which probably means I've been successfully trolled, but I stopped caring about that a few years ago.

bonescraper

Nah, he's not trolling. And it's not as deep as you think it is. He just wants every space game to mimic IW2 space flight mechanics. If the game lacks those, it's has to be shit. Even if it surpasses IW in every other possible aspect. He's one of those "if you can't jump, the game sucks" kind of guys.

Runciter

Augur
I hate to agree with that impossible to satisfy downer guy, but here he has a point. If in a game your plane flies like Duke in Duke Nukem 3D with the jetpack on then you can hardly call it a flight sim. The most faithful space sim experience I've had was playing I-War 1. I-War 2 was kinda crappy with the LSD colours, artificial shake dependent on your current speed in your current frame of reference, but the correct dynamics were there. As they were in Frontier, but there the combat was uninspired. Privateer and Wing Commander, as well as the X-Wing series were pretty arcadey and I wouldn't call them true space sims.

It's more difficult with games like Vendetta Online and Star Citizen, because there you have a maximum speed in a predefined global frame of reference, but until you reach that speed your ship behaves correctly (at least that's how Roberts claims Star Citizen will work).

So far in Elite: Dangerous Braben has only announced manouvering thrusters that adjust the direction of your velocity to match your attitude, the same as it works in Frontier and I-War 1 and 2. Now, the question is how powerful they will be. If they're too powerful then you'll end up with Duke's jetpack, but if they make you feel your ship's inertia then it doesn't contradict reality. And I haven't seen any mention of a maximum speed. So if the thrusters are left weak and there is no speed limit then all is fine.

We don't know if this will be true of E: D, but it's too early to start complaining, so shut the fuck up unless you have supporting evidence :)

Mortmal

Arcane
Dont call them space sim but space opera then, i dont remember a space game with believable physics, nothing at all comparable to flight simulators , space combat is usually at best a submarine like fight with explosions in space. You wont have fun with a realistic space game, no O2= no explosions, and probably no visuals at all since the enemy ships are too far to be seen.
Glad it was funded , it was really close to fail.

Raapys

Arcane
There's O2 inside the ships, both compressed and not, so you'd have explosions though muted and mostly internal unless they ripped the ship apart.

Whether it would be fun or not is highly debatable, since there hasn't really been much effort to try and do it properly. Personally I think stuff like Silent Hunter 3 is awesome, despite it having long-range and very much 'wait...'-based gameplay with limited feedback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom