Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
actually the shrine maiden class was revamped in Gothic (elminage 4) so your obliquely made point, sorry i think you're just making a reference by omission? anyway in Gothic shrine maiden class isn't dominated by waifu-only gear. so case not solved. well, yes, the case is solved: shaman class is not the stealth-WMD i secrelty hoped it would be. not the game's fault.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
So 8 hours in and zero deaths whatsoever. Somehow I suspect that will change very soon.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so where you at in the game? i remember i was around 50 hours in when i first beat Cyclonus and opened up the real meat of the game.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I reached the tree area then paused because I was getting interrupted so often I could not possibly concentrate on the game. Haven't advanced beyond that because of lack of alone time.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ahh the great tree. i remember that was the first good dungeon. lotsa secret doors there.

i know you haven't asked for any hints but i want to mention that that dungeon, specifically the basement floor 1, (it has bf2, bf1, f1, f2, f3), so specifically in bf1 it is the only floor in the game that i know of where you can get the weapon kunai to drop. it's an ESSENTIAL weapon for the ninja as they won't get one as good for quite a few more dungeons. my first time through the game i missed it so my ninja had to wait a long time to get a good one.

edit: samurai also benefit from the kunai but they have lots more options than the ninja. although a samurai dual-wielding two kunais is an absolutely DPS machine from the back row. effective in the early game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i recorded this video just for Celerity :)

Celerity watch this little ridiculousness...

this is not from post-game btw, this is from a dungeon around the half-way mark through the game. (i'm doing another playthrough with a new party).

it's not that the fight was unfair, it's just that with my party setup it was unwinnable. i should've just used one of my alchemist's spells to escape the battle but i arrogantly thought i could win. now, i did come prepared with items for healing and curing paralysis, but guess what they were on the inventories of the first two chars to die lewl.

enjoy!

Courtier

Prophet
Note that you can turn off the battle animations or change their speed, toggle the game remembering your last cursor position, change the ''it's your turn'' sound for enemies and partymembers to any other SFX (216 choices) including making it silent, change the display of names and AC to large/small/hidden, display only nicknames or full names, toggle fullbody portrait display, toggle movement animations in the dungeon, change the names of all the spells in the game including for enemies, freely remap keys, and the game autodetect gamepads.

The other titles in the series have even more customization, such as allowing you to add custom portraits and BGM in-game. You also gain access to other races' portraits earlier in the game (not entirely sure if monster portraits as well) than here and there's more races to unlock. But for the moment besides Gothic, Elminage Original (PSP) is all we get.

StarfishSD are truly the kings of the Wiz5-clone crawlers, no other modern blobbers even come close when it comes to depth.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
yeah it really make me sad because I haven't heard of them lately. No one knows what they're doing. even their website don't have any update.
moebius(I don't know them) is bringing elminage original on pc(jp only). I think it was releasing today, I should get that in a few weeks.

Courtier

Prophet
Keep us posted! I don't have high hopes for an Eng release of the PC version but maybe if we're lucky...I mean they could literally copypaste the English PSP localization.
From their page, http://d-mebius.com/elmi_original/system.html
it looks like the art is upscaled and high quality, with some new art thrown in. Fullbody portrait options would be great. Can you read the changelist, does it have any new features? I'm in the middle of a second playthrough of Original PSP, but I'd be more than willing to give it a third if I can eventually get my mitts on this.

7QGiKuj.jpg

92Uusx0.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i already cleared the light cave but i waltzed into the fourth floor of it super arrogant and i got wiped so pathetically i just had to record it :D

man i love this game

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
how is it that pc games or whatever get translated? i have very basic hex editing skills, mostly from years hex editing save games. do they open the game's executable or something? what if the game is like the BG's and it has a seperate script file? omg it's all so mysterious. i suggested to mr. richard that for the mondot riddles he could perhaps look for a true/false bit regarding whether the player entered the correct riddle answer or not. usually that kind of thing will be set to if-true-allow if-false-deny so you can just change that flag to the opposite so that if you enter something incorrectly it will register entry.

he didn't make any comments about the idea though only mentioned he's working on it. i can't imagine the game utilizing anything other than a true/false flag for those riddles.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
playing it now for a 2nd time i just finished the royal tomb. i had never known how to solve the quest of the old man wandering inside the tomb asking for his sword; at the time when first playing the entire dungeon was stressful enough for me to worry over that. anyway this time around i solved it by pure accident all he wanted is a worn sword that's a drop in the dungeon. i had one on me.

he gave me a crimson sword (or blade can't remember), lord only, and sure it ain't that great compared to end-game loot but it's nice to keep discovering new shit the more i play the game. i also got a 'poison sword' drop in the Tomb this time around and it has SICK stats for the time you get it. i had never in my life even knew that sword existed.

i'm playing with one person using the ex-skill of treasure finder or whatever it's called and it absolutely positively is 100% worth it. i've been getting the tons of weapons i didn't get the first time playing and also getting a lot of spares, like for example i finished the tomb with 2 death arms and 2 shurikens and those are rare drops.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Siveon Celerity Dorarnae Dorateen Courtier

- TO USE THESE MODS PLACE THE FILES IN SAME FOLDER AS GAME .EXE THATS IT NOTHING MORE

ok so since i gearing up for attempting to translate elminage 2's .csv's files by utilizing the ones from Gothic as reference (it's already proving fruitful but...)-- anyway, so i unpacked the BRA files from Gothic and the game has everything except dialog in easily editable .csv files; the complete list of game items, spells, spell-learning progression, the goddamn races and their attributes, EVERYTHING mechanical from the game can be easily changed. For example say you want the item shoppe to start selling the Neck Chopper katana by default then it is as easy as editing the ITEMS.csv.

on topic: so i got the idea to make some very small modifications for Gothic that i've long wanted to make. These small mods are basically for quality-of-life improvement and are geared towards the players who have "been there and done that 100 times already".

- Changed 'Enterook Mista' to utilize actual Lightning attack attribute. The spell will scale accordingly now with the caster's Lightning attack %. Beware as this affects enemies' usage of the spell as well! tee hee.

- Changed Elnam's damage: I made it equal to the damage done by the tier 7 single-target Lightning spell. I've always found Elnam to be absolutely PITIFUL as an offensive option for casters without access to mage spells for damage. Now you can throw out an Elnam as a proper offensive strike! Fry fuckers! I left it's attribute correlation to Holy though, as it would ruin the spell completely if i changed it. The entire point is that priest casters pump their Holy attack % so they can heal better, and also accordingly raise Elnam's damage. the only problem was that it's damage was 18-34 originally...

- Changed Zeo Nadar's attribute to FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! the way Zeo Nadar works is that its damage multiplier increases with each spell cast during the fight (i still don't know if it's EVERY spell cast, or only the party's spells or if it's only the actual caster's spells, but WHATEVS); it has no attribute associated to it so there's no way to increase it's damage, which as we all know... is fucking crap 80% of the time. Since it is now a Fire spell it can be pumped accordingly by rasing Fire attack %. As always it applies to the enemies as well! Finally now Alchemists have another offensive option besides POMEDOON !! yay.

- Changed Rizefus' probability of resurrecting a dead character by an extra 25%. hard to explain the dumb way the game categorizes it but basically Rizefus now has the same probability of success as its big brother: Rezefeid.

- Changed that big brother's resurrection chance to MOTHERFUCKING DEFINITE. This is why i mentioned some of the changes are mostly geared towards post-game quality-of-life. I mean when literally EVERY SINGLE RANDOM ENCOUNTER ENDS WITH HALF YOUR PARTY BEHEADED you're gonna really appreciate having a 100% chance of resurrection with Rezefeid. remember please that Rezefeid only works outside of battle so it's not that big of a fucking deal.

- Changed all Staffs to M-range just like in the three previous Elminage games and just like in wiz Empire. This is one change I've always wanted to do because it is no way unbalacing AT ALL. Staffs fuck up your AC by increasing it by +1 and in any case we're talking about alchemists and bishops and mages here swinging away with them... yeah, we don't need to worry about unbalancing anything. And as i mentioned Gothic is the first one in the series to change Staffs to S-range, just to arbitrarily make the game more difficult.

Link to the spell changes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kijyg22bw55isv2/SPELL.csv?dl=0

Link to staff change: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi3p03bf3bwymtd/ITEM.csv?dl=0

------------

now for the faggotry. I raised the experience values of ALL monsters by 20%. If you so desire to play this glorious game with 20% extra XP gain, which frankly is actually barely noticeable anyway, then please good sir download this shit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw38q00pyrl10cd/MONSTER1.csv?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwv28ye4pur6n2s/MONSTER2.csv?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/db9s2nk1qkj10z4/MONSTER3.csv?dl=0

download ALL THREE and place them in same folder as the game .exe absolutely no need to do anything more than that. the changes take effect automatically by the files just being there.

EDIT: Please bear in mind that if you notice Enterook Mista doing less dmg than before it is simply because it is now Lightning-attribute and thus if you don't have high Lightning well duh low dmg. The default spell does good dmg regardless of the caster's proficiency precisely because it is basically a FIXED AMOUNT. it is now NOT a fixed amount and thus can be both lower and also much higher.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I prefer Zeo Nadar to be non elemental to be honest. it can be a very powerful spell... in gothic it's maybe not as useful, but in original it was quite good.

Comte

Having fucked around with Wizardry's 1-3 for the last couple of weeks I purchased Elminage Gothic. Now that I have completed my long boring BG2 run I'm ready to embrace blobbers full time. Can you guys give me some tips for starting out in Elminage Gothic? What's a good party for a beginner?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Having fucked around with Wizardry's 1-3 for the last couple of weeks I purchased Elminage Gothic. Now that I have completed my long boring BG2 run I'm ready to embrace blobbers full time. Can you guys give me some tips for starting out in Elminage Gothic? What's a good party for a beginner?

go with basic class at first, they lvl up faster and you want all your spell and more hp asap.(in particular that teleport spell).

I like the dragonewt race, their firebreath kind of suck first few lvl, but it's eventually pretty good for a while. (breath attack depend on your hp, so if you roll a dragonewt, give him a class that gain lots of hp)

Dorateen

Arcane
Alchemist is a good addition to a starter party. At the very least, you will want to have one back in town, and leveled up to make use of their crafting/enchanting abilities.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
- best race for class-changing are humans and werewolves

- plan out your party for the long term. don't roll a bishop out the gate; instead class change your level 13 alchemist into a bishop once he gets 7th-tier spells

- speaking of long term planning make sure that you have at least two characters with access to all 3 spell schools by end-game

- don't bother with shields too much; just like in wizardry the best defense is a good offense. the best damage dealers turn out to be valkyrie's by end-game because they can dual-wield spears with the second place going to samurai's because they can dual-wield main-handed weapons

- ninjas and brawlers make excellent post-game classes to change into because they can level up their -AC to absurd heights

- my current favorite party is: 1 samurai (innocent), 1 lord (previously a fighter), 1 valkyrie (innocent), 2 ninjas (1 was previously a cleric and the other previously an alchemist), and an alchemist (previously a cleric).

- you can get a hermit's knife in a mid-game dungeon, the royal tomb, that allows class changing into a ninja

- having 1 lord for post-game is very useful as their class mastery skill protects the entire group against things like beheading and petrify

- make use of martial classes with good access to M-range and L-range weaponry. i ALWAYS have my valkyrie in the backrow because she can deal the same damage from the back-row as she can from the front-row and this frees up a slot for a martial class character that doesn't have good access to M-range weaponry, like a fighter or a lord.

- ninjas are good either up front using katanas or in the back throwing shurikens

- pure thief is a complete waste. i always roll a thief in the beginning then grind in the royal tomb for a hemit's knife and change him into a ninja (if i can't be bothered to re-roll my bonus points 2 million times in the beginning)

- generally katanas are highly accurate with middling damage; swords are average in both accuracy and damage; hammers are high in damage and very low in accuracy; whips are trash; bows are trash until end-game and post-game where they suddenly become the best weapons in the game; spears are universally the best weapons in the game; "throwing"-type weapons like boomerangs, shurikens and such are insanely good and rare; lords get a lot of class-specific swords and hammers that are VERY good

- if you don't feel like wasting time making summoning contracts with monsters just roll a ninja and pick the ex-skill Replica which clones him and works just like having a ninja summon

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh yeah and don't worry about alignment requirements too much you can change alignment to and from neutral with a 7th-tier alchemy spell; however gender is harder to change and i think there's only 1 rare drop, the glass slippers, that allow sex change.

oh, and ruby slippers allow a female to class-change into a cleric which can prove somewhat useful if you really fucked up. there is no item that i recall that allows class changing into a lord tho so i usually end up class changing a level 15-20 fighter into a lord.

samurai's best gear is male only and so is lord gear while alchemist's best gear is female. you can remove gender restrictions through alchemy though.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
yeah thief aren't very good end game, mostly because there isn't much to steal in this version. in the 3ds version they're fine though, some great gear to steal.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah but that argument kind of falls apart since all of the gear your thief can steal can also be gotten through drops. trust me once you're inside ibag's tower there is no sense in wasting a character slot on a thief instead of another ninja.

3ds version also declines the game by lowering the stats/difficulty of the random encounters in the game, although on the plus side they do introduces option to pay money to change your character's ex-skill back in town whenever you want.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
encounters are easier in general on the 3ds version(except maybe soldier of giant god, there's a new monster there that is annoying) but some boss are harder. and I agree with you for psp/pc version of the game but I was saying on 3ds, there's MUCH more gear on monster to steal. dragon claw+5 on a brawler is <3

Dorarnae

Arbiter
and there's this new boss on 3ds too :)

sigh. when I was in the beta for the game, I tried to ask for a few things but I guess it was too much work...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jesus talk about content... elminage gothic already requires an average of 300 hours to be tough enough to clear ibag's tower. Most people who clear the tower usually have 400+ hours clocked.

lol the post-game is really the actual-game as the storyline doesn't stop. i don't even know why they roll credits when you defeat cyclonus since that's usually around 60-80 hours into the game and it's not like the rest of the content is in a vacuum or whatever.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
jesus talk about content... elminage gothic already requires an average of 300 hours to be tough enough to clear ibag's tower. Most people who clear the tower usually have 400+ hours clocked.

lol the post-game is really the actual-game as the storyline doesn't stop. i don't even know why they roll credits when you defeat cyclonus since that's usually around 60-80 hours into the game and it's not like the rest of the content is in a vacuum or whatever.

300 is a bit much. maybe 150-200 the very first time....I did it in around 100 hours(in one week) when I was in the beta. and as you can see with the 3ds it took me 74-75 hours lol.
bit sad that we didn't spent more time in beta, I got in late and almost as soon as I finished the game, they announced its release, I am sure some of the bug that I reported are still there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom