Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not a popular opinion but I suggest cheating and using the maps/walkthrough that game with the archives version. The game still takes 100 hours and is still hard as balls.

I think that's a terrible idea, slowly uncovering the maps is half the fun of the game

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, that's a pretty popular opinion! It's the difference between 300 hours and 100 hours.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
But in the advanced age we're living in you have resolutions and screens big enough that you can run the game on it and drawing digital maps with grid cartographer on the same time!

True but grid cartographer is 20 $ and due to some recent RL-stuff 20 bucks for a digital map drawing tool wouldn't really be a clever expense :?

Let me know if you want me to buy you Grid Cartographer. (Proof of using it for playing Wiz 7 required.)

Wow :O

Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it. All this talk makes me want to play Wizardry 7 immediately but I really need to finish PoE first, else I'll never touch it again and afterwards I wanted to play the Avernum 2 remake, but this has time I guess...

Let me finish PoE then I'll give it a thought :)

And playing it with preprinted maps is out of the question of course

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
But in the advanced age we're living in you have resolutions and screens big enough that you can run the game on it and drawing digital maps with grid cartographer on the same time!

True but grid cartographer is 20 $ and due to some recent RL-stuff 20 bucks for a digital map drawing tool wouldn't really be a clever expense :?

Let me know if you want me to buy you Grid Cartographer. (Proof of using it for playing Wiz 7 required.)

Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it. All this talk makes me want to play Wizardry 7 immediately but I really need to finish PoE first, else I'll never touch it again and afterwards I wanted to play the Avernum 2 remake, but this has time I guess...

When I did my SitD LP I used this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5l5npica0mjg9i/DungeonMaker.rar?dl=0

Pretty sure it's freeware, but trying to find that shit again through google is a nightmare. As you can see, it can make pretty nice tile maps, can do your own tiles:
Lab2f.png

The key on the right I had to throw together in paint and paste on top of the map, but otherwise, if you have the tiles you want or are willing to make them (I generally just downsized screenshots of notable things like the doors) you can make some very detailed maps. Of course, you could just use some numbers as the custom tiles and write a key.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

When I did my SitD LP I used this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5l5npica0mjg9i/DungeonMaker.rar?dl=0

Pretty sure it's freeware, but trying to find that shit again through google is a nightmare. As you can see, it can make pretty nice tile maps, can do your own tiles:

Wow, this seems pretty good. I played around with it a bit and it seems to have everything you need to map a dungeon - aside from the option to switch levels maybe. I will try that first so Bee saves 20 bucks, thanks for that little tool :)

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So whats the consensus on this game? I love playing Wizardry 1 - 3, and other similar old school 'blobbers', but I also enjoyed Etrian Odyssey series as a 'newish' take on this format. Should I have a crack at Elminage?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So whats the consensus on this game? I love playing Wizardry 1 - 3, and other similar old school 'blobbers', but I also enjoyed Etrian Odyssey series as a 'newish' take on this format. Should I have a crack at Elminage?

If you enjoy the older Wizardries, I don't see why not. The level design is not quite on the Wizardry level in this game, imho; if you're looking for challenging dungeons to explore, you might want to take a look at Generation XTH instead, which has a fan translation and a dedicated thread somewhere in this subforum.

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, this is a competent blobber (though I liked XTH much better overall). I ran out of steam after the first dungeon, but I'll probably be revisiting it soon.

Also, be sure to get the 'mod' that makes maps infinite use, navigating in some of the dungeons can get pretty obnoxious otherwise.

Dorateen

Arcane
Today I had one of those moments of surprise I was talking about. Heavy spoiler if you haven't played yet and are into character customization.

Found an item that turned the party's Neutral fairy thief into a Ninja, bypassing the alignment restriction!

2015-04-11_00001.jpg

This game just keeps delivering.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Today I had one of those moments of surprise I was talking about. Heavy spoiler if you haven't played yet and are into character customization.

Found an item that turned the party's Neutral fairy thief into a Ninja, bypassing the alignment restriction!

2015-04-11_00001.jpg

I see you didn't play Wizardry I. :M It had a item (Thieves' Dagger) with the exact same effect.

And since Wizardry did it, Japanese Wiz clones tend to include something like that too.

Dorateen

Arcane

2015-04-11_00001.jpg

I see you didn't play Wizardry I. :M It had a item (Thieves' Dagger) with the exact same effect.

And since Wizardry did it, Japanese Wiz clones tend to include something like that too.

I also remember some magical means of achieving such changes in Tunnels and Trolls, maybe when gambling with the demon. You should finish your Let's Play.

But seriously, I'm at the end stages of the game, and it was truly unexpected. This is the first Japanese Wizardry clone I've played. Anyway, now I've got almost the same party composition as Wiz 7/8, and that delights me.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

:updatedmytxt:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know. I'm just dealing with some Godawful overkill withdrawals right now.

Sorry.

Dorateen

Arcane
Finished the Main Quest last night!

EGEnd.png

Gear that I ended with

EGHood.jpg

Also, was there an announcement missed that Elminage Gothic was released on GOG earlier this month?

http://af.gog.com/news/release_elminage_gothic?as=1649904300

Overall, I would rate this a satisfying traditional dungeon crawler. The ending was a bit of a let down, but solving each of the numerable dungeons was a worthwhile endeavor. It's been a year since I completed Might & Magic X, and I would say that the story and gameworld of Legacy was stronger. But the dungeons and class mechanics of Elminage Gothic were far superior.

Now it's off to delve more dungeons. I hear there's Mega one in Pillars...

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Elminage Gothic to go on sale next week

I don’t often tell you not to buy one of our games, but I’m going to recommend that you don’t purchase Elminage Gothic on Steam until Monday evening. That’s because on Monday Elminage Gothic will be entering the Steam Weeklong Deals, with a massive 70% discount off its standard price of £6.99. As the name suggests, this discount will be live from the 4th to the 11th of May, so be sure to visit the Eminage Gothic Steam Store page to take advantage of this great deal.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So I got this game now while it's on sale. My first party member died even before I reached the dungeon when I asked the knight for some training. Looks good so far. I also decided that reading the manual might be a good thing, the scrolling "tooltip" is tedious. Also you can play the game with a party of 10yo middle-schoolers. That's young, even for Japanese heroes.

Dorateen

Arcane
heh, the Chief of Training is a nice coming-of age battle to test the strengths of your party. Yes, definitely give the manual several read-throughs and keep it nearby. The tool-tip might be the least of your UI regrets. I had and 8 year old fairy in the party, but they have a low life expectancy, so it was ok.

Have fun!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
vonAchdorf Where did you get those sprites, and is it possible to batch-download them somehow? The Codex gallery could use some Elminage avatars.

I got them from the wikia, but they don't have many of them. There's an artbook in the game directory though, which has all of the monsters, to extract them one by one would take some time though.

(I just tried to batch export the pictures from the art book – unfortunately, the pages are a single image, so one would have to cut out the single monster pictures one by one.)

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Well, I'll try to do that. I'm going to get that game soon. If that artwork is really there...

I forgive you that rejection of my 7,62 High Calibre avatar pack.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I actually found a ton of images on the wiki. I'll upload them to the gallery soon and then you'll be able to see what's missing.

EDIT: Added. Look it up in the gallery.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom