Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Emperor of Nothing [40k CYOA]

LogOS

LogOS, get back here you tease!
:argh:

Terribly sorry.

I am going with last count, the winner being E)

Next update should arrive within 24 hours of this post.
You gave me quite a scare, but you have not answered my question:
LogOS, is Yvraine is still the one that resurrected Roboute?

Yes, we will follow current Dark Imperium lore up until the War of Beasts in Vigilus, which iirc the most current event.

That means Yvraine and Cawl are pretty important, for good or ill.

LogOS

THE MAGICIAN

---REMEMBRANCER ARCHIVE 412.005---

+++ GLORIANNA-CLASS BATTLESHIP MACRAGGE’S HONOUR+++

+++ORBITING MACRAGGE+++

+++ULTRAMAR SECTOR+++

+++ULTIMA SEGMENTUM+++

+++42nd MILLENIA+++

+++IMPERIUM OF MAN+++

---THE EMPEROR PROTECTS---

In the Bridge of Guilliman's flagship, two figures talk without obvious urgency.

“You told him that, sire?”

“I did.”

“So the God-Emperor sent you on the Indomitus Crusade?”

The Primarch looks at his equerry, tasting the words in his mouth. Indomitus Crusade. A boast and an anchor. Guilliman yearns to go back to his marble pillars, to his books and his barrel.

Looking for an honest man.

“No. I declared it.”

“Why, sire?”

“Who else would?”

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It has not yet been a minute since the Primarch stands in the Presence, but already his existence unravels. The air around him is a haze, flakes of skin and ceramite borne upon unnatural winds. Bones grind, breath fails and flesh disintegrates. No wonder none had ever spoken with the Emperor in ten thousand years. An instant of His full attention would reduce mighty Herakles to ash.

Not so His favoured sons, built to withstand this burden.

“They have named me Lord Commander of the Imperium. If naught else, I ask that you lend me the service of the Legio Custodes. They are peerless warriors, of little use to you.”

Guilliman does not say that only the Custodes will be able to keep the Chapters and the High Lords in line when he forces them to accept Cawl’s Primaris and his new policies. He is under no illusions: Like the Rome of old from which he was moulded, he must claim the position of Dictator. The Custodes are trained in politics and finesse; they are Emperor’s mouthpiece, the unwavering foundation of the Adeptus Terra. Roboute, superhuman though he is, knows it will take decades for him to command an ounce of such respect. Where the Custodes tread, all others follow.

THEY ARE YOURS.

The Lord Commander dips his head in gratitude. He knows the Emperor sees through him, sees through his reason and decision. He refrains to speak not out of practical considerations, but out of respect for the arts of Man that he so appreciates. We are political animals, Guilliman tells himself, and thus ends the audience.

LORD COMMANDER. WE HAVE NOT GIVEN YOU LEAVE.

The Primarch cannot rise. No muscle obeys his command, and he feels the slow collapse of his lungs as he sucks breath through broken teeth. He has left it too late. This is the Presence unbound.

FOR TEN THOUSAND YEARS NONE HAVE LOOKED UPON US.

If the Voice was but a whisper before, now it becomes Heaven’s Choir, no longer signifier but signified, an imposition upon the Real that cannot be denied.

TELL US…

The Primarch recites a litany of worthless words, he must tell the Emperor, Tell tell tell, but he knows not what. The incomplete phrase stings at his being and he is nothing and Father demands and heaven is so far-

WHAT DO YOU SEE?

The Thirteenth looks up, his eyelids snapping open to force a full measure of the Occupant. He thinks he dies, but Primarchs are made of sturdier stuff. Guilliman faints for the first and last time in in his life.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“What did you see?”

Guilliman ignores the man's words, his gaze focused on the Hololith detailing the ongoing Plague Wars. Eventually, he speaks:

“Do you know why I chose you as my equerry?”

The diminutive human figure in front of the Primarch runs his hand through his hair, feeling the scar of the Famulus Implant on the left side of his skull.

“Why, sire?”

A) “You were a heretic who spoke true.”

B) “You were a guardsman who advanced.”

C) “You were a Tech-Priest who changed”

D) “You were Dark Eldar captive who survived.”

E) “You were a Redemptionist who illuminated.” (Unavailable due to previous decisions)

Last edited by a moderator:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C

edit: flopped

Last edited by a moderator:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Noooooooooooooooooooo we could have an Illuminated guy!
Probably because zhe's a faithless single mother, thanks to E winning.
8NVLJqx.png

Baltika9

Arcane
What's the point of this dude? I'm assuming this guy is either lucky or awesome to have survived the Drukhari. He might know an in with them, but honestly the Dark Eldar are a small fish.
'Small fry' is not exactly true. Comorragh is the size of, what, several planets? And the Dark Eldar are actually pretty freaking scary and may be useful, especially if can 'help' them to see the light and submit to Yvraine and Ynnead. I'm actually coming around to that option.

Baltika9

Arcane
LogOS, can you elaborate on what sets these candidates apart? I don't have anything solid to really recommend one candidate over another, and I doubt that Robu picked his ancillaries off of a five-word character description.
Hmmm... a dissident of the Imperial Faith (think that Rememberancer, the black woman), or an actual heretic? That is the question here.
The advantage of this person, if its a dissident, is that we finally have the rare person who Robu here can say the real deal to, and will propose solutions out of the box that is the Imperial Faith.
The problem is that this might also cause issue with the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy - they will distrust Roboute seeing he consorts with an open heretic, even if one who was right.
This raises a very important question: do we want to keep the Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition as they are, or do we want to change them?

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I agree with Baltika9. I understand the desire to make sure that each candidate has some mystery to them so that you don't reveal too much of their backstory from the jump, but it feels a little bit vague.

Voting D B for now, for some reason the emo tortured soul with a PTSD past appeals to me right now.

Edit: Flopped to B

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom