Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just install Win7. As for 32 or 64-bit, it all depends on the amount of RAM you got. If you got at least 4 Gb, then there's no reason to cripple your computer furthermore than you do now with XP.
Remember that video card ram needs to have memory addresses as well. So you should add RAM + Video RAM + ~500mb for random other stuff that needs addresses + consider that in 32 bit windows, programs are actually limited to 2GBs of memory, and the answer you get is that you should just get 64bit windows.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey, ghostdog - should I go with x32 or x64 - as long as 32 = bigger compatibility with older software (which isn't true AFAIK)?

:(

In the beginning I think x64 had more problems with games but right now I don't think x32 offer anything more in the way of compatibility. On the other hand x64 can handle more than 3,5 GB RAM. Anyway, I installed win7 ultimate 64.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The 64-bit version of XP had problems and is generally best avoided. Win7 is another thing though. I've been using W7 x64 for a few years now and the compatibility has been rather high. Some games need some tweaks but that's usually trouble you'd experience under XP anyway and that's also why we have your thread. :smug:

Also some programs benefit a lot from 64-bit. Accurate emulators can be quite demanding and their x64 versions can offer a nice increase of performances.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Get Vista.

-people don't get mad at you for using XP
-after bunch of upgrates it's decent system

Actually - forget about upgrade.

Ok, srsly - 64bit+pack of RAM (8+) is good thing when you play with PS2 emu.
I shouldn't saving moniez on RAM and bother with 4 GB for few years.

(quicksaves).
That's why I run some stuff like Prince of Persia WW on PS2 emu than PC.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That's why I run some stuff like Prince of Persia WW on PS2 emu than PC.

240.gif

A user named cat

There's no reason not to be running Win 7 64-bit nowadays. If you don't want to waste $100 on an OS (like me) or support shitty MS then you can easily find a perfectly working torrent, and you'll still be able to do Win updates. You might also want to consider Win 8.1 64-bit if you can stomach the soccer mom changes and be prepared to do a lot of Googling and tweaking. I gave it a good chance before going back to Win 7 but plenty others have stuck with it, especially when using Classic Shell.

Either way, 64-bit emulators are always faster and what you should be using. Leave 32-bit and XP behind. Though I have to assume that if you've been using XP then you probably need a whole system upgrade. Haswell is a beast for Dolphin and PCSX2.

spekkio

Arcane
you can easily find a perfectly working torrent
I have a perfectly working DVD on a nearby shelf.

I have to assume that if you've been using XP then you probably need a whole system upgrade.
:nocountryforshitposters:

I could've installed Win7 on my last/current rig a couple years ago.

A user named cat

:nocountryforshitposters:

I could've installed Win7 on my last/current rig a couple years ago.
Well make the jump then and have fun reinstalling everything, that's always a blast. Hope you've properly backed up everything.

spekkio

Arcane
Compilation alone requires some fucking around (VS 2012 -> VS 2010), but there are also some different thingies, like removing DX9 support and sticking to DX11 and OpenGl.

A user named cat

Compilation alone requires some fucking around (VS 2012 -> VS 2010), but there are also some different thingies, like removing DX9 support and sticking to DX11 and OpenGl.
What do you use then? DX9? I always use OpenGL but that might be because of my shitty GTX 560 not being able to handle anything above 1x resolution. DX has always caused stuttering in lots of games when I tried it but opengl is smooth.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What do you use then? DX9? I always use OpenGL but that might be because of my shitty GTX 560 not being able to handle anything above 1x resolution. DX has always caused stuttering in lots of games when I tried it but opengl is smooth.
Radeons have shitty OpenGL drivers, pretty much have to use DX with them.

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, I always use Dolphin with OGL (Nvidia GPU). But switching to Win7 is inevitable anyway, I don't have time to compile my shiat myself.

[/pleb]

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Get ready for some fun times !

I hadn't done a format in my main rig for about 5 years. Now I broke down 3 PCs into their parts and restructured them into one decent, one ok and one shit pc. That was 5 days ago and only now I can say that I'm finished with the big bulk of OS and program installations in the two good desktops.
I was thinking of putting the crappy pc with an old CRT I have, for DOS gaming... but seriously, fuck this shit, I'm spent.

spekkio

Arcane
So, I've upgraded to Win7 x64 and... the only thing I truly hate is this fucking ClearType shit.
Without it, all newshit fonts look like shit (too thin). With CT enabled, some fonts look ok, while other too fat / blurry.
No amount of twerking helps.

spekkio

Arcane
Bros, guess what?

WinXP (Laptop):

HPs2sqJ.jpg

Win7 (Desktop):

2m06ofB.jpg

Spot differences - ClearType can eat dick.

:yeah:

In before some x64 emus testan.
So far I've noticed that newest Dolphin compilations (one of the reasons I switched to Win7) don't work at all under OpenGl backend (crash when creating output, tested both x86 & x64). Latest official build (4.0.2) works fine.

:roll:

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
^
PER check failed. Both screens look 99% the same.
Font in typing window looks thin, but still, much better than this blurred shit (ClearType).

:dance:

spekkio

Arcane
OMG, just look at the time!

Glados.png

DOSBox SVN-Daum 20140127

rNfhYLZ.jpg

PsnBaNw.jpg

DeSmuME-0.9.10 x64

IQ6cT6Z.jpg

Dolphin 4.0.2 x64

lKtaBBT.jpg

Quicksaves, skippable "controller in use" screen instead of unskippable "don't power off your comp while saving, PCfag" image?

CtbIEp9.jpg

:thumbsup:

VisualBoyAdvance-M r1229

W2assrs.jpg

Project64 2.1.0.1

6cR0bUa.jpg

Good old 1.6 works as well, Direct3D 6 plugin too.

Snes9x 1.53

G3gkxl4.jpg

Thank god it works fine, since all other Snes emus suck.

:smug:

Makaron T12.5

No longer works. Old gamepad settings give error:

tqwcRig.jpg

And you can't reconfigure gamepad options (config window doesn't show). If you remove the gamepad config file, emu will run, but you won't be able to use any input device:

jH9UKho.jpg

:roll:

Too bad, since it was one of the best DC emus... But - let's not forget about russian hacks!

MakaronEX 4.1

Z8Os70q.jpg

:kfc:

nullDC-r150

KhKfCIu.jpg

demul0582

fb7QrnP.jpg

Way too raw ATM (shitty audio, crashes). Expected something much more (it requires at least DX10).

Fusion 3.64

s6UO058.jpg

SSF_012_beta_R4

dflddQZ.jpg

Where's mah filtering!?
But Yabause-r3240 works much better than I remember from previous revisions (good speed, great audio):

7mPoHqf.jpg

ePSXe 1.9.0

My favorite Peops' Soft screen filtering no longer works (DirectDraw went gaga?):

a2vavrd.jpg

:keepmyjewgold:

But you can use Pete's OpenGL2 in low res:

Eb9UvhK.jpg

:takemyjewgold:

Or high res:

CfIDvt0.jpg

:dance:

Good old pSX 1.13 works as well:

bpCAOPR.jpg

Pcsx2 1.2.1

dsbrCDG.jpg

PPSSPP 0.9.8 x64

tPpdcn0.jpg

gxf17Kp.jpg

Also, I tested Tomb Raider 3 PC (broken D3D output on WinXP + Nvidia) and guess what?

xGMLCMN.jpg

:yeah:

tl;dr

203.gif

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Thank god it works fine, since all other Snes emus suck.

:hmmm:

Or you play on bsnes (higan) or on a real SNES.
And all Dreamcast and Saturn emulators suck... For N64 i will wait for CEN64 (at least for a couple of years).

spekkio

Arcane
bsnes (higan)
byuu alert.

:keepmymoney:

http://byuu.org/ said:
Mozilla's executive leadership has just appointed Brendan Eich as their new CEO. Brendan is a bigot who donated money to California's Proposition 8 to discriminate against gays and lesbians. To this day, he stands behind his donation and has offered no apology, nor any change of heart.

With his promotion, Mozilla's leadership has sent the message that it's okay to strip rights away from human beings, so long as you are useful in some other way. But it is not acceptable, and I will not tolerate it. Mozilla has lost all of my faith, and I will no longer be using, supporting nor recommending their products in any way. I would encourage anyone who supports equality for all to do the same.

It's not simply a "difference of opinion" to seek to deny two people who love each other the right to marry, to visit each other in the hospital, to make important life decisions together, and their very dignity and self-worth as equal human beings. It's not a phobia. It's pure hatred. A man who feels he is superior to other human beings is in no position to lead a diverse company.

If you want this sort of behavior to stop, then you must send the message that it is wholly unacceptable in modern society. Please join me in boycotting Mozilla.
:hmmm:

Does switching from Firefox to Pale Moon count?

:?

Athelas

Arcane
Yay for early 3d games that look like shit. :troll:

Isn't Peops a plugin/filter for 2d games? Why would you use it for a 3d game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom