Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
Glados.png
Where have you been?

Sorry for talking shit about Demul earlier. It's the best DC emu ATM. Reasons:

1) Compatibility / quality of emulation. The only emu, which displays graphics properly on default settings.

a) NullDC r150

Shadows are fucked-up in Headhunter:

2aealaQ.jpg

Rayman 2 is totally broken graphics-wise:

1v3pI5s.jpg

:killit:

b) MakaronEX 4.1

Shadows in Headhunter are broken on default settings:

tRcjDL9.jpg

And can't be fixed:

q3k8QEw.jpg

You can only disable them altogether.

:roll:

Rayman 2 has some issues on default settings (shadows & black squares instead of "sparkles")

Rz3UwQ6.jpg

But these can be fixed via F11 options:

bubAXOu.jpg

Too bad that the emu lacks V-sync.

:rpgcodex:

c) Demul 0.582

Everything works fine on default settings:

Z5dZYrq.jpg

zC3ZRdj.jpg

And V-sync works like a charm.

:greatjob:

2) Does not require fooling around with different bios files for different regions. Just set region to "Auto" and forget about it.
Recent versions of NullDC & Makaron support region switching without the need of manually switching the files, but in the past it was a fucking nightmare.

3) Quicksaves [/post]

That is all.

:obviously:

A user named cat

NullDC may have its share of graphical glitches but Demul isn't any better all-around. It certainly doesn't have better compatibility. It runs a few titles better (Shenmue and maybe your examples) but NullDC plays many more games and without randomly crashing. It's probably best to have them both handy if you have a bunch of games. Save states are also bugged as hell and cause hanging, better off not using them.

spekkio

Arcane
BTW, Rayman 2 PC works flawlessly in Glide mode (GoG version with nGlide included, 1680x1050 output res + DirectInput patch):

gV0s8OO.jpg

CtzVCHd.jpg

glorious_pc_gaming_master_rce_by_thedarklord0-d5hc5td.png

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Neo Geo bios appears to have been updated. :D That's the only notable one and only reasons some ROMs got broken. The rest of what I use seems fine. As for MESS it appears not many was changed: all of the bios files are the same and I didn't find differences with the ROMs so far.

A user named cat

Performance impact is pretty harsh with 4x internal and AA. Would be nice if this were better optimized though I usually prefer the original res. I found a link if you want to try out this build.

http://shikaver01.webcrow.jp/desmume_x432r/DeSmuME X432R 2014-03-29-0.zip

Here's some comparisons on my 4670k @ 4.2GHz and shitty GTX 560 non-ti. Could be some bottlenecking due to gpu.

1x SoftRasterizer

2x OpenGL

3x

4x + Edge AA

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Desmume is so shitty performance wise for a JIT emulator. It's pathetic that PPSSPP is much faster than desmume in almost all games.

A user named cat

spekkio I was very wrong about Dreamcast emulators. I somehow confused Demul with Makaron when you brought up save states before, woops. I tried it for the first time tonight and you're right, this is better than NullDC and even easier to use. I've been recording some gameplay vids for emumovies and had to do some weird shit like Taxi 2 (French) and Space Griffin (Japanese). Neither would even boot in NullDC. Grabbed Demul, both played fine without any tinkering.

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, I tested some DC games on Demul and so far, all of them work (better or worse). Too bad that latest version is from 2013...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Did you try reicast?

edit: eh, although github says it's being worked on, the bug report page has crash bugs on shemue, which is a bad sign i guess.

Last edited:

A user named cat

Isn't reicast just for Android? Meaning inaccurate, poor audio and full of hacks so it'll run on shitty phones and tablets. At least that's what I'd assume.

Speaking of emulators needing updates though, would be nice if Virtual Jaguar and 4DO were worked on more frequently. Still plenty of issues with those which should've been ironed out ages ago, especially Virtual Jag.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Isn't reicast just for Android? Meaning inaccurate, poor audio and full of hacks so it'll run on shitty phones and tablets. At least that's what I'd assume.
I don't think it's only for android. First that would be kinda dumb since android is a linux with EGL2.0+ underneath, so there is no reason to limit it.
edit: i checked, and while they only distribute IOs and android compiles there is a linux x86 branch.

And also, if you look at the main page of NullDc source it says:

Development has kind of resumed as reicast -- might want to follow on https://github.com/reicast/emulator. Its still not as good as nullDC is, but we'll get there :)
So i expect at least some of the same authors on 2nd system syndrome. Dreamcast is also one the the last singleprocessor consoles (although the processor is superscalar) so it should have the potential to run faster than for instance ps2 emulators, with a decent JIT.
Then again, there is only 5 or so games with ports worth playing on the dreamcast so this doesn't matter except if your pc can't handle the stress.

Last edited:

A user named cat

Well that's silly then, as they make it sound as if they abandoned NullDC. I'll probably just use Demul mainly from now on anyway.

You're right though, DC library was a bit weak but you shouldn't overlook that people are still making games for it. Some of them worth checking out.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
ok :troll: they have a linux x86 branch but i can't actually compile a functional thing in my linux 64 bits because they (obviously) require some opengl libraries on 86x and although ubuntu has multiarch, it doesn't extend to those libraries - trying to install them would uninstall a whole lot of shit that shouldn't be uninstalled, so it's basically uncompilable except on a 86x 32bits system (such as the raspeberry pi running linux).

Well, it's a recent branch, maybe they'll make it work. Maybe not, and then fuck them. It probably wouldn't work for me anyway, only OpenGL 4.1 cards/drivers have EGL compatibility because jews.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Final Fantasy IV : Complete collection, seems to be running fine in latest android ppsspp. You'll need some special settings to run it smoothly because when you go to the menus the fps is capped to 30 from the usual 60 and the music gets fucked up. Buffered rendering, 2x res (looks gud), as much frameskip as you need for the menus and also auto frameskip so it will be automatically lowered in actual game. Also disable stencil test to show the portraits correctly. FFIV is my favorite ff, let's see if they fucked it up.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Final Fantasy IV : Complete collection, seems to be running fine in latest android ppsspp. You'll need some special settings to run it smoothly because when you go to the menus the fps is capped to 30 from the usual 60 and the music gets fucked up. Buffered rendering, 2x res (looks gud), as much frameskip as you need for the menus and also auto frameskip so it will be automatically lowered in actual game. Also disable stencil test to show the portraits correctly. FFIV is my favorite ff, let's see if they fucked it up.
Well they made it a lot easier but aside from that, and the changed graphics, everything's about the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom