Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, seriously. It's only been in the last couple of years that PS2, DS, PSP, and Wii emulators could run most of their games fast and non-buggy on anything other than high-end rigs. I imagine I'll have replaced my computer with a floating silver orb complete with AI by the time a PS3 emulator runs smoothly.

Fart Master

Savant
Do you need a modern PC to run PS2 JRPGs like Persona, Disgaea? Theres plenty of good games I missed back in the day. My specs are 3.5ghz e5400, 9800gt & 4gb of ram. I tried DQ8 some time ago and it ran like total dogshit but seems like its also one of the more demanding PS2 games.

Renegen

Arcane
Your computer should definitively be able to run PCSX2 games. My computer is worse and I've ran Disgaea before and some 3d RPGs. But make sure to get the best plugins and also to search for a long time on the forums for what the correct configuration is, they make a huge difference.

Do you need a modern PC to run PS2 JRPGs like Persona, Disgaea? Theres plenty of good games I missed back in the day. My specs are 3.5ghz e5400, 9800gt & 4gb of ram. I tried DQ8 some time ago and it ran like total dogshit but seems like its also one of the more demanding PS2 games.

On my outdated hardware of Core 2 Duo E7300 / Geforce 9500 GT / 3 GB RAM:

Persona 4 is fully playable and suffers only from TERRBILE slowdows during fights against bright enemies (e.g. Wealth Hand, dunno why) and bosses but since they're turn-based it's not a problem.

FFX runs perfect but XII is too slow.

Digital Devil Saga is so slow during dungeon crawling that I gave up at some point (battles are ok).

Nocturne experienced slowdowns only in large areas like
Assembly of Nihilo or Obelisk

Remember - F9 button is your friend, it can change speed drastically.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
pPcsx2 has improved performance on many games substantially in the recent builds. MS3 run with 3fps in my shitty rig a year ago and recently I run it with decent performance , most of the time at least.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The 9800Gt is a little weak, but I think it should manage native resolution with no bells and whistles turned on.

Fart Master

Savant
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it a shot once my PS2 controller USB adapter arrives.

Have you guyz experienced annoying bug in DraStic - doesn't matter which save slot you select, emulator loads always the most recent one?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it a shot once my PS2 controller USB adapter arrives.
ps: Disgaea has remakes for the PSP and PSP emulation is less demanding than PS2 one.
Are the disgaea PSP remakes better than the originals?

I would say PSP port is the definitive version overall. There's some stuff missing, but it combines the best from PS2 and DS versions without the horrible missing and compressed audio of the latter. Following is the courtesy of GameFAQs.

DISGAEA PS2 (DISGAEA: HOUR OF DARKNESS)

- Etna's NA version voice actor is Amanda-Winn-Lee, which is dubbed by many as better than the current
Etna's voice actor.
- Song such as Tsunami Bomb's "The Invasion From Within" isn't removed.
- Has no option to turn off animation.
- Have no DS version's extended options.
- Has no Music Shop
- Has no Multiplayer Mode
- Has no Etna Mode
- No Pleinair, Adell, Rozalin and Zetta fighting/recruiting.
- The last stage in Cave of Ordeal, Demonhall Mirror is absent.
- One fixed song for Item World
- Counter glitch absent
- Glitched items absent
- Capture glitch absent
- Thursday glitch Absent
- Record Keeper absent
- No mini-map
- No touch screen
- Good graphics quality
- Good audio quality
- Full voice acting
- Has no Prinny Commentary

DISGAEA PSP (DISGAEA: AFTERNOON OF DARKNESS)

- Etna's NA version voice actor has been changed to Michelle Ruff, which is dubbed by many as average to good
by not up on par as Amanda.
- Song such as Tsunami Bomb's "The Invasion From Within" was removed.
- Has an option to turn off animation.
- Have no DS version's extended options.
- Has Music Shop
- Has Multiplayer Mode
- Has Etna Mode
- Have Adell, Rozalin and Zetta fighting, but no recruiting. Pleinair is also not available for recruiting.
- The last stage in Cave of Ordeal, Demonhall Mirror is present.
- Purchased songs can be selected for Item World.
- Counter glitch present
- Glitched items present
- Capture glitch absent
- Thursday glitch Absent
- Record Keeper present
- No mini-map
- No touch screen
- Good graphics quality
- Good audio quality
- Full voice acting
- Has no Prinny Commentary

DISGAEA DS (JP VERSION) (DISGAEA DS: PRINCE OF THE DEMON WORLD AND RED MOON)

- Etna's NA version voice actor has been changed to Michelle Ruff, which is dubbed by many as average to good
by not up on par as Amanda.
- Song such as Tsunami Bomb's "The Invasion From Within" was removed.
- Has an option to turn off animation.
- Have DS version's extended options.
- Has Music Shop
- Has Multiplayer Mode
- Has Etna Mode
- Have Adell, Rozalin and Zetta fighting and recruiting. Pleinair is available for recruiting.
- The last stage in Cave of Ordeal, Demonhall Mirror is present.
- Purchased songs can be selected for Item World.
- Counter glitch absent
- Glitched items absent
- Capture glitch absent
- Thursday glitch Absent
- Record Keeper present
- Mini-map present
- Touch screen present
- Graphics quality reduced
- Audio quality reduced (BGMs have been completely recomposed)
- Voice acting severely cut down (JP version)
- Includes Nario Wakamoto as Narrator
- Has Prinny Commentary

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM BUILDING A MAME MACHINE I THINK IT WILL BE A MULTI YEAR PROJECT I CANT SPEND AS UCH MONEY AS I USED TO BECAUSE MY WIFE DOESNT LIKE IT BUT IT IS OK BECAISE SHE EITHER HAS SE WITH ME OR BLOWS ME EVERY DAY LOLLOLLOL AND SHE IS REALLY RERFLY NICE SO I SHOULD DO WHAT SHE SAYS

ANYWAYS BROS I GOT THE SHIT ASDL SET UP IN MALA ON AN OLD PC FOR NOW IN HOPES OF GRADUALLY UPDATING TH SHIT I NEED TO MAE A BADASS GAME MACHINE

I AM GRADUALLY GETTNI GAME ART AND VIDEOS TO MALE IT LOOK NICE

LOLLOLLOL MY KIDS LOVE IT I HAVE HR GIGER ARTWOR WITH INDUSTRADIL MUSIC AS THE BACKGROUND BUT LOOLOOL THEY DONT CARE THEHY PLAY MS PACMAN AND RAMPAGE AND LOVE IT

HERE ARE SOME PICS

oJguqN7.jpg

R9Irura.jpg

A user named cat

FINALLY Mednafen gets save state support for PS1 after all that waiting: http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&th=1061&start=0&

I tested it and seems to work great in Win 7 64-bit, despite being listed as experimental. You don't need a fresh config or to redo any settings for it either. Just update Mednafen, run it once then exit. Look for the line "psx.clobbers_lament" in the cfg and set it to "1".

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
AMIGA !

With the curtsey of that potato company...

=====================================================================================================================================

0SIK73f.jpg
crS2x5T.jpg

qkQb1nU.jpg
1xcb6TO.jpg

MG9ZtVZ.jpg
qky23qY.jpg

2MfejJv.jpg
7MIVhKU.jpg

d1iQ4Om.jpg
oS2eUlU.jpg

67TKQtI.jpg
xXsS5UQ.jpg

=====================================================================================================================================

FFFc7PP.jpg
v27J1eB.jpg

vTmbeXC.jpg
65rOguq.jpg

3zNd5cB.jpg
KsYtMMI.jpg

w8Pp1um.jpg
YYqJyL4.jpg

PSqsccZ.jpg
AHfKhSk.jpg

P70K3lV.jpg
aCKk4vN.jpg

uKjtTeg.jpg
HWTEBOa.jpg

8whagNj.jpg
nBxrQfb.jpg

Co7vVo6.jpg
4sFXbEc.jpg

cHjrcvd.jpg
ZmxfDu6.jpg

xLEBDG8.jpg
GtKAADo.jpg

hg65yfs.jpg
2rDzl13.jpg

xnGJ6HN.jpg
a1NDZgA.jpg

o26tFXM.jpg
4Piwfej.jpg

e0Uxshz.jpg
VHRiXyC.jpg

9Gzsifj.jpg
ZA2HYrq.jpg

exLlgJo.jpg
pczVUU1.jpg

CydaVP8.jpg
lZ8y7PC.jpg

yGOH9Ch.jpg
auLYQpu.jpg

i3sJSAE.jpg
5g3oAfS.jpg

iBWB810.jpg
Jq3PYGR.jpg

fOJ6Ihw.jpg
MLnc1Mz.jpg

ZdgLXo8.jpg
sWTHR8H.jpg

1OwliXp.jpg
JlOcBZO.jpg

XCQhOVi.jpg
jAJppI2.jpg

US4jnQ7.jpg
zXRp9KD.jpg

kFqY1f1.jpg
p5mdKLt.jpg

in3Olfd.jpg
BWunmpY.jpg

opHFTqc.jpg
JWddBjw.jpg

Quqwzul.jpg
myDrAtt.jpg

vWQKdOv.jpg
XH3cQ8x.jpg

4vKbDcU.jpg
4TVUJjn.jpg

MK7cSqi.jpg
D8WEiIJ.jpg

vdvy1DO.jpg

sd35YyR.jpg
KAJUkas.jpg

HXd2J7l.jpg
IfHmMj4.jpg

YOvJsaq.jpg
09bySdt.jpg

45Hb4fl.jpg
XdpbnBE.jpg

SCEIWqq.jpg
9wZhQ61.jpg

wZEXtcZ.jpg
E7I00Pt.jpg

COBrjzt.jpg
Q7rS7MF.jpg

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
So something I just found out while looking up the state of PS3 emulation is there's a PS4 emulator in the works.
https://github.com/ghaststeam/PS4EMX
The author says:
I don't have a PS4 or PS4 games; I don't have much time to devote to reverse engineering it; I can't afford a high-end computer with a Blu-ray drive right now; and it's pretty much the same issue for other developers... Donations are being accepted here: http://www.ps4hacking.wordpress.com

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
So basically they're saying: give us money and maybe within the next decade we can get the BIOS running.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So something I just found out while looking up the state of PS3 emulation is there's a PS4 emulator in the works.
https://github.com/ghaststeam/PS4EMX
The author says:
I don't have a PS4 or PS4 games; I don't have much time to devote to reverse engineering it; I can't afford a high-end computer with a Blu-ray drive right now; and it's pretty much the same issue for other developers... Donations are being accepted here: http://www.ps4hacking.wordpress.com
Yeah I saw that. Just wasn't sure how to point out how little was done.
EDIT: Or that they were taking donations. How did I miss that?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone managed to get the Metroid Prime Trilogy to run well on Dolphin? Its Gamecube counterpart runs somewhat better but not by that much, plus Trilogy's wiimote controls allow me to play it like a (clunky) PC FPS by using the mouse to emulate the wiimote and WASD for the nunchuck.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Can someone help me with my Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne problem? When I boot up PCSX2 in DX11 Hardware mode the game looks like this:
attachment.php

Where either the skybox takes up my whole view, or you can see through every wall. Does anyone have the GS plugin Gsdx r1406? I heard it was the best plugin for ATLUS games, but I cannot for the life of me find it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
@AE

Try switching to DX9 or software mode. There are no game fixes for Nocturne, AFAIK:
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Nocturne

Playing around with Logarithmic Z or Alpha correction may help as well.

I don't remember having this problem you have, only the bug Excidium mentioned.

Software Mode is perfect, but I don't have a strong enough CPU to run it 30fps or above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom