Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

flyingjohn

Arcane
Still no Etrian Odyssey for Switch? welp
Nexus was the last 3ds release.
They need around 2-3 years and possibly more to move to the switch.
So around next year we should hear something about it.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Another interesting non-PC (and non-WiiU) game is Deadly Premonition 2. I tested with the last Yuzu build and it seems playable. There are huge fps drops in the outside levels but it seems a problem that exists also with the original hardware.

Vyadhis

Learned
How's performance for Fire Emblem Three Houses and Monster Hunter Generations? I can emulate BOTW flawlessly on CEMU and DQ11 definitive edition is coming to pc at the end of the year so those two games are all I'm interested in right now.

mk0

Learned
My Retro-bit Sega Genesis/Mega Drive 8-button Arcade Pad /w USB(what a mouthful) arrived in the mail today. I've been trying it out and the d-pad hype is real, finally I have something that leaves my thumb unscathed after a beat 'em up session.
I would've initially gone for the wireless Saturn model, but those apparently have manufacturing defects in the shoulder and C buttons and they cost extra, so maybe next time?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody here with a powerful cpu interested in helping ps2 emulation?
The new focused on accuracy emu dobbiestation is aiming for 1.0 and anybody interested can contribute the compatibility list available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kPLMTBSB2xZ8Rar140jiLWNRqsLX9vlCx12PJS2H5aw/edit#gid=0
Here is a form to fill out a entry:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe0F1i-1jJtdpyN7nVSCwnhsQz8rDtlr_F06fPBRZWw_7YwoQ/viewform

The emu is available here:
https://github.com/PSI-Rockin/DobieStation
Windows binary are here:
https://github.com/PSI-Rockin/DobieStation/actions

And i decided to check out patreon numbers for emu devs:

-Cemu:
4279$
A a far cry from the 20k+ plus,but still a lot of money being made.

-Yuzu:
17,970$
DAYUM.

-RPCS3/nekotekina
Shame,it deserves to be higher considering the work they do.

-Luke usher/xbox emu
860$
Meh,as expected of xbox emu interest.

-Citra:
436$
Kinda low,but not needed considering the emu has been getting constant updates before patreon.

-PSI/Dobbiestation
95$
A big shame.This guy has been fixing broken/obscure ps2 games and is making a new ps2 emu which shows great promise.

-Xenia:
336$
A pleasant surprise considering how dead the interest has been for this thing.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had a quick play with DobieStation...

There's no support for any controllers yet, not even a basic Microsoft XInput stuff, which is greatly going to damper its appeal and testing a lot.
It appears conrols only exist in a set of hardcoded keyboard bindings that are only documented on the github README.

There's no audio output either, not sure if it's too incomplete, or if the host just isn't playing the audio from the appropriate buffer.

Attempting a 1.0 release without those 2 things is far too premature.
Irrespective of whether Final Fantasy X is able to go ingame with accurately rendered graphics at 10 FPS.

Even Play! does that much, though its implementation of both is pretty dogshit at the moment.
EDIT: 5 hours later, let's see if the Play! guy makes his controller support less dogshit... https://github.com/jpd002/Play-/issues/928

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Master ui makers can't into security:

Highlights:
-Core updater and netplay disabled
-No 2FA because fuck it
-Backups several months old
-Hoping on github(github told them fuck no) and users to fix it for them
-Patreon shilling for a byuu memorial statue(this one is fake)

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Soo, a hacker conveniently deleted part of the code, despite Github allowing you to make multiple copies, and the devs waste no time to bring up their Patreon account? This says enough about them.

Anyway, what's the latest build for Windows 7? Is that still available somewhere/do one of you guys happen to have it?

spekkio

Arcane
1.9.0 works fine on Win7 x64. You can grab it from "main" download page:

https://retroarch.com/?page=platforms

Fortunately, the "big" archives have Assets included.

Unfortunately, you need cores from Buildbot, which aren't available ATM. My current set is from 06.01.2020 (that's when I've updated to 1.8.2):

ryAHRvL.png

So I woudn't recommend using these cores with 1.9.0. I bet somebody has newshit cores on HDD which he/she can upload.

Viata

Arcane
Soo, a hacker conveniently deleted part of the code, despite Github allowing you to make multiple copies, and the devs waste no time to bring up their Patreon account? This says enough about them.
They are holding the cores as hostage until people give money to them. It's obvious that it was not a hacker.

lightbane

Arcane
They are holding the cores as hostage until people give money to them. It's obvious that it was not a hacker.

Well duh, that was my deduction as well. Is there an alternative to Retroarch? For emulation purposes, I'm only interested in PS1 and PS2 games, and perhaps NDS ones.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Well duh, that was my deduction as well. Is there an alternative to Retroarch? For emulation purposes, I'm only interested in PS1 and PS2 games, and perhaps NDS ones.

PS1:
Mednafen. Duckstation if mednafen is too taxing.
PS2:
Pcsx2.
DS:
Melonds and desmume if melonds doesn't work.

All have standalone versions outside retroarch.

Puukko

Arcane
Latest Yuzu EA has an "unsafe" CPU option that supposedly brings big performance improvements for some games on older CPUs (ie Intel 3000 series) but I haven't tried it out yet as now XC2/XCDE crash on startup for me... Still, that is very good news for me.

Puukko

Arcane
My old stock 3770k handles Drakengard 3 at 25-30 fps - it can't quite stay locked during busier fights, but it is still surprisingly playable. However, some pick ups seem to absolutely tank the fps - all of them cause at least a brief drop, but some caused it to drop to around 3 fps for 10 seconds and one time picking up two items at once just slowed it down to a crawl for about half a minute. This issue seemed to disappear as I got a bit further into the game, so I don't know if it's just specific effects caused by specific items.

I also couldn't get the 60 fps patch working no matter what when I first set up the game some months ago, but I don't know if getting 35-40 fps at times would make that much of a difference anyway.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Latest Yuzu EA has an "unsafe" CPU option that supposedly brings big performance improvements for some games on older CPUs (ie Intel 3000 series) but I haven't tried it out yet as now XC2/XCDE crash on startup for me... Still, that is very good news for me.

Tried it with a i7-9700f. The games that I tried were not particularly demanding and already worked ok at max fps without this option, but with "unsafe" set I noticed a lowering in the power consumption, that is nice. No other issues so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom