Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am trying to play some non-translated japanese games with an online OCR/translator. I looked around for a bit and I found this "Yandex translate" (https://translate.yandex.com/ocr) quite easy to use. You can copy/paste your screen directly in the browser, it automatically identify the texts and, if you click on it, it superimposes the translated text on the original one. The quality of the translation is not good however...

qlVNEnm.png

Do you know if there are better tools (preferably online) available?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am trying to play some non-translated japanese games with an online OCR/translator. I looked around for a bit and I found this "Yandex translate" (https://translate.yandex.com/ocr) quite easy to use. You can copy/paste your screen directly in the browser, it automatically identify the texts and, if you click on it, it superimposes the translated text on the original one. The quality of the translation is not good however...

qlVNEnm.png

1. retroarch AI translation using Z-translate module. by default it will use gogle translate which is garbage for Japanese. But by using Z-transalte anything that is unclear you can copy paste from the ztranslate website to other website like bing (which is better at Japanse than Google) or DeepL

2. Capture2text is quite good as well. Once again by default it uses google translate, but the captured text can be combined with DeepL windows app for a quick way to translate

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane

qlVNEnm.png

None.The best current translation tool is deepl.com. But you are gonna have to use ocr tools like capture2text to get text and then paste it into the deepl translator.
Best to learn jap,considering most of the translation just cuts stuff up entirely.That screenshot example is not even right in any way.The closest one is deep with:
"I'm not saying that..,
Lately, we've been getting into some strange business too".

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
None.The best current translation tool is deepl.com. But you are gonna have to use ocr tools like capture2text to get text and then paste it into the deepl translator.

note that DeepL translator app for windows has shortcut (pressing Ctrl+C twice instantly paste anything you highlight to DeepL) so it is much much more convenient than using website.

and you can have all of them in windows so no alt-tabbing needed

My old stock 3770k handles Drakengard 3 at 25-30 fps - it can't quite stay locked during busier fights, but it is still surprisingly playable. However, some pick ups seem to absolutely tank the fps - all of them cause at least a brief drop, but some caused it to drop to around 3 fps for 10 seconds and one time picking up two items at once just slowed it down to a crawl for about half a minute. This issue seemed to disappear as I got a bit further into the game, so I don't know if it's just specific effects caused by specific items.

I also couldn't get the 60 fps patch working no matter what when I first set up the game some months ago, but I don't know if getting 35-40 fps at times would make that much of a difference anyway.

Thanks for info about 60 FPS patch, on my Ryzen 5 2600 RPCS3 got rid of annoying slowdowns that happened on real PS3, now that gorgeous uncapped animation... I don't regret selling that overrated, overheating PoS called Playstation 3 anymore.

BTW just a few years ago people wondered if playable PS3 emulator will arive in a decade or so, now we are surpassing original hardware, it's insane!

flyingjohn

Arcane
After testing various rpsc3 settinsg for better speed,i can safely say that the spur threads number in the advanced menu is the only that consistently give me better fps.You are gonna have to fiddle with the numbers until you get the most stable/performance ratio and you should expect small to extreme audio skipping.
Drakengard 3 went from 18 to rock solid 30 with a small slowdown when picking up stuff and that only lasts for a second.

And speaking of rpsc3,anybody have other speed tips that are not available int he menu or experience in what options give the most fps?

Don Peste

Arcane
After testing various rpsc3 settinsg for better speed,i can safely say that the spur threads number in the advanced menu is the only that consistently give me better fps.You are gonna have to fiddle with the numbers until you get the most stable/performance ratio and you should expect small to extreme audio skipping.
Drakengard 3 went from 18 to rock solid 30 with a small slowdown when picking up stuff and that only lasts for a second.

And speaking of rpsc3,anybody have other speed tips that are not available int he menu or experience in what options give the most fps?
And anybody managed to run The Last of Us at more than 10-15 FPS? I've got a Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super.

And anybody managed to run The Last of Us at more than 10-15 FPS? I've got a Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super.

I cannot go past intro cinematics.

Did anybody run God of War 3 at full speed?

Donnu about secret methods but out of APIs Vulkan gives better performance than OpenGL.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane

Interesting, what kind of setting did you pick for Drakengard?

flyingjohn

Arcane

Interesting, what kind of setting did you pick for Drakengard?
Everything was default except for the spur threads number which i choose 2.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Very close to being able to play this extremely shitty game:

Recently I have played MGS5 and it has been a big positive surprise for me. I hence decided to go through the complete MGS saga (I only played the first MGS1 long ago).

I have played MGS2 and MGS3 completing them using PCSX2 1.7 without issues.

I am now playing MGS4 using an optimized fork of RPCS3 tailored for the game:
https://github.com/illusion0001/rpcs3/releases

The fork work nicely for me, I am able to play the game with fps ranging between 30-60 with no graphics glitches, while the game was quite unplayable on the official RPCS3 build.

IceyD

Scholar
frame advance has been a godsend on Citra for DQVII

this game takes like 90 minutes just to get to the first battle screeen

Duraframe300

Arcane
Random pcsx2 update, but the emulator has seen a huge spike in activity over the last few months. Including some major strides in the removal of the plugin system (CDVD and FW are already merged into core and they're currently working on SPU2-X ) and even some accuracy improvements. Feels like 2021 is gonna be huge for them.

Duraframe300

Arcane
q3-2020-report.png

On the previous report the highlight was GSdx improvements mostly. This one on the other hand is Core changes, and A LOT of core changes. Enjoy!

Written by lightningterror

GSdx Improvements
[Accuracy Enhancement] #3507 (Direct3D10/11 HW) SetupIA, allow sprite conversion to be done on the CPU when applicable. Port from OpenGL. By lightningterror.

• Helps sprite rendering in Lets Make a J-League Pro Soccer Club (see image comparison below).

Before

After

[Misc Enhancements] Other GSdx changes:

• #3508 (Direct3D10/11) Modernize swapchain and device creation. By kojin.
  • #3516 (Direct3D10/11) Remove legacy d3dcompiler code. By kojin.
  • #3534 (HW) Improve dithering. Gets rid of line artifacts down the screen due to 16bit colour limitations. By refractionpcsx2.
  • #3575 (OpenGL HW) Fix/improve line scaling. Port from Direct3D 10/11. By KrossX.
  • #3739 (OpenGL HW) Swap DATE_GL42 with DATE_GL45 on sw blending draw. It will allow to run sw blending with DATE draw (DATE Accuracy Full) which was previously DATE_GL42 by default. By lightningterror.
  • #3705 (OpenCL) OpenCL renderer which was barely maintained and rarely used for debug purposes only has been completely removed in our quest for cleaning up the codebase. By lightningterror.
  • #3706, 0c67dc9 (HW) Add dithering option to HW renderers. By RedDevilus and lightningterror.
    • Dropdown menu for 3 options: Off (No Effect/ Been always like this), Scaled (Strongest effect/obvious), Unscaled (Weakest effect/less obvious)
    • Change Default dithering mode from Scaled to Unscaled
  • #3723 Purge Direct3D11 Software renderer option. By kojin.
F9 has been modified on Windows to have the following functionality:

If the renderer config is set to HW, it will toggle between the respective HW renderer (OGL/DX) and SW

If the renderer config is set to SW, it will toggle between SW and the renderer returned by GetBestRenderer()

Before

After
renderer-before.png
renderer-after.png

In a nutshell it merges the software renderers. There's no need to have multiple ones, and it makes it easier for the end users.

• (HW) Hacks & unused code cleanup. By lightningterror.
    • #3702 Remove DynamicCRCHack feature.
    • #3564 Remove unused Uber_ATST shader code.
    • List of removed crc hacks:
Lilypad Improvements
[Enhancement] #3323 Remove PSX/PS1 emulator compatibility. By lightningterror.

Removes the capability of running Lilypad on ps1 emulators that support a plugin interface like ePSXe. PS1 games will still be played normally without any issue when using PCSX2.

SPU2-X Improvements
[Accuracy Enhancement] #3532 Correction of timings reset and audio sample rate for ps1 mode. By kenshen112(weirdbeardgame).

Core Improvements
[Enhancement] 64bit Recompiler support. By tellowkrinkle and beaumanvienna.

It's been a long awaited goal for us and we are very happy with the progress of the 64bit work that's been put in recently. That said there are still a couple of issues left to take care of before we start providing fully working builds to the public on Orphis buildbot. Those that want to take the risks and still give the 64bit builds a go then they can fetch appveyor artifacts or build the source code themselves and give it a go
smile.gif

Performance should be -/+ 5% for anyone expecting huge performance gains. For the technical details see the following PRs below.

• #3524 Moves all VTLB pointer manipulation into dedicated classes for the purpose, which should allow the algorithm to be changed much more easily in the future.
  • #3523 Allocate memory in an x86-64-compatible way.
  • #3512 Fix codegen on x86-64. Makes x86emitter emit the x86-64 machine code you would expect it to.
  • #3608 64-bit recompilers. Makes recompilers compatible with x86-64.
[Accuracy Enhancement] #3537 EE/IOP: Timer Interrupt Handling. By refractionpcsx2 and PSI-Rockin, backport from Dobiestation.

• Don't interrupt if compare/overflow flag is already set.
  • Removed GameDB patches for Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban and Chamber of Secrets as they are no longer required.
PSI-Rockin made an excellent post explaining the functionality/technical details. You can read more about it here.

[Accuracy Enhancement] #3539 VIF: VIF MSCAL instructions wait on VU T-Bit stop. By refractionpcsx2.

Fixes the following games from crashing, and removes gamedb patches for them since they now work properly:

• The Sims
  • Spiderman 3
  • Sharks Tale
  • Maybe some bits of Over the Hedge
  • Pitfall (both demo and full game)
  • Gumball 3000
  • Enter the Matrix
  • Evolution Snowboarding
[Accuracy Enhancement] #3555 IPU: Perform an interrupt on IPU_CTRL Reset. By refractionpcsx2, backport from Dobiestation.

Doing this reset performs a forced command end, meaning the IPU will run through the procedure of ending any command running and telling the core that it is done, even if there is no command currently active.

Fixes Fightbox and Sakura Taisen 3.

[Accuracy Enhancement] #3593 VU: Make VU run closer in sync with EE, implement Mbit. By refractionpcsx2 and kozarovv.

Implement basic cycle counting for COP2 operations, implement COP2 detection while not interlocking, implement Mbit, drastically change cycles required to run for every microprogram. Improved handling of edge cases for scenarios where COP2 updates flags.

As explained here in PSI's blog post, hardware tests proved that VU run at the same speed as EE mips core. This is important as the EE can read values from VU0 while a VU program is running using COP2 commands such as CFC2 (Copy From COP2/VU0), so it is important to run VU0 at the same speed as the EE, this was particularly important for games using M-Bit synchronization (Mike Tyson, My Street etc) and games which start a VU program and then copy a value to VU0 to be used by the new program, an example of this happening was 24: The Game.

Depending on if the game is expecting the value written to be used or written after the register is used, the VU needs to run either ahead or behind and it varies per game, so in this case it's essential that we rely on a new gamefix that we implemented called VU0KickstartHack.

Fixed games list:

• (VIF) Hitman games - Resolve potential crashes with TLB misses or FIFO errors
  • 24: The Game, Primal, Ghosthunter - No longer need patches to run at full speed
  • Air Rescue Ranger - Ground no longer has SPS
  • Amplitude - FreQ avatars no longer have SPS
  • Gift, Woody Woodpecker, Kaan - Now runs at the proper speed
  • Lotus Challenge - Cars are no longer bouncy
  • My Street - Missing characters are now visible. (Note: they still exhibit a small amount of SPS in microVU0, the VU0 Interpreter does not have this issue.)
  • Mike Tysons Heavyweight Box - Characters are no longer asserting their dominance by t-posing. See-through characters are also fixed.
  • Next Generation Tennis 2003 - No longer needs a patch to fix SPS
  • Nichibeikan Pro Yakyuu: Final League / World Fantasista - Random glitches are gone
  • Phase Paradox - Lighting and camera in cutscenes are fixed
  • Rayman 2 Revolution - Resolved character collision issues with the ground
  • Sega Superstars Tennis - SPS on hands/feet is now gone
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2002 - Fixed player stance
  • Wakeboarding Unleashed demo no longer crashes at the loading screen (also requires XGKick hack)
  • Totally Spies Totally Party! - SPS reduced - (Note: requires EE Cyclerate + 3 to completely fix.)
  • Twisted Metal Head-On - Black doors have now proper colors
  • Wakeboarding Unleashed - No longer hangs getting to the menu on release builds
  • World Series Baseball 2k3 - No longer hangs on the loading screen (game still has other issues)

Before

After

[Accuracy Enhancement] #3660 microVU: Fix m-bit state and range merging. By refractionpcsx2.

Fix state saving when m-bit is reached.
Fix range merging to encompass whole ranges of programs.

• Fixes shadows in The Shadow of Zorro
  • Fixed slight SPS in Totally Spies Totally Party! Still needs Cyclerate +3 however
[Accuracy Enhancement] #3675 GS/Counters: Fix CSR Swap and VBlank Interrupt timing. By refractionpcsx2, backport from Dobiestation.

• Fixes the Titantron's on the WWE games (Except Shut Your Mouth).
  • Fixes the frame order for the following games, so they look less blurry and don't need the interlacing mode swapped:
    • Soul Calibur 2
    • World Rally Championship
    • Mike Tysons Heavyweight Boxing
    • Urban Reign
    • Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Based on data gathered from PS2 console tests.

[Accuracy Enhancement] #3683 VIF: Set decoding status on VIF stall. By refractionpcsx2.

Removes an old VIF hack.

Fix GIF resets.

Fixes the memcard screen on Onimusha Blade Warriors, no longer invisible.

Reduces frequency of VIF spamming the console in Ratchet & Clank when completing the game.

[Accuracy Enhancement] #3439 Add support for loading rom2. By kozarovv.

Fixes/adds Chinese bios support. This also fixes a number of Chinese region games with the added feature.

So far we have 3 games confirmed working:

• Ape Escape 2 (SCCS 40001)
  • XIGO: Zuihou de Touzi XIGO (SCCS 40004)
  • Gran Turismo 4 (SCCS 60002)
Other games on could be fixed as well, someone just needs to test/verify them. The full list can be seen on the pull request itself.

[Enhancement] #3591, #3724 New WIP Feature: Socket IPC implementation. By GovanifY.

An IPC protocol was added to PCSX2. This feature gives you a header-only C++ library with bindings in C, Python, Rust, Lua and C# which allows you to communicate with the emulator and the underlying game it emulates. Ever wanted a game to trigger a save state? That's how you'd do it! Want to make advanced TAS tools? AI based players with a fancy GUI to visualize all your neuronal networks? This should do the trick!

Note that all the main planned IPC features are not yet merged/developed, so all of this isn't possible yet but should be soon™.

For more information you can check the PR's themselves for details.

[Enhancement] The following Plugins have been merged in to the core:

You heard it right folks, PCSX2 will require 2 less plugins now to fiddle with.

GameDB Improvements
  • Other GameDB additions or deletions have been done throughout the Q3 cycle as well.
Misc Improvements
  • #3457 Revision of tooltips/descriptions and other fixes for PCSX2 (Lilypad + others). By RedDevilus.
  • Cleanup:
    • #3652 Remove unused cheats and browser source files. By lightningterror.
    • #3525 More gtk removals and Onepad dialog tweaks. By arcum42.
    • #3611, #3614, #3623 Remove zzogl, gsdx legacy, zerogs and zerospu2 legacy plugins from master branch. By lightningterror.
    • #3688 (Tools) Moved GSDumpGUI in it's own repository here. Initial release has been published as well so developers can download and use it without the hassle of compiling. By lightningterror.
TAS (Tool Assisted Speedrun) Utility Improvements

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Switch modding will take a while after that [jk]
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3701...tch-modchip-group-team-xecuter-have-been-arre
I guess the Nintendo ninjas got them...
so long, Ga(r)y Bowser

According to court documents, the Team Xecuter criminal enterprise is comprised of over a dozen individual members located around the world. These members include developers who exploit vulnerabilities in videogame consoles and design circumvention devices; website designers who create the various websites that promote the enterprise’s devices; suppliers who manufacture the devices; and resellers around the world who sell and distribute the devices.

In September 2020, Louarn and Bowser were arrested abroad in connection with the charges in this case. The United States will seek Louarn’s extradition to stand trial in the United States. Bowser was arrested and deported from the Dominican Republic, and appeared today in federal court, in New Jersey.

...The indictment alleges the defendants were leaders of a criminal enterprise...

deuxhero

Arcane
This group was all about selling their hacks to the point they put code to brick systems if their exploits were copied. Nothing of value was lost.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Decided to mock around with iso compression tools.

Chd is the gold standard for everything that uses bin/cue.Use it for psx 1,saturn,sega cd,turbo cd and dreamcast gdi files.

Pros:
-Saves a lot of space
-One file instead of multiple bin files
-Supported by most emu's
Cons:
-Translation/romhacking is not supported
You are gonna have to revert it back to bin/cue and then apply the patches

Instructions:
-Download MAME.
-Find chdman exe and copy it into a folder of your choosing.
-Open notepad and paste this:
for /r %%i in (*.cue, *.gdi) do chdman createcd -i "%%i" -o "%%~ni.chd"
Save as .bat in the same folder with he name CUE to CHD
-Open notepad again and paste this:
for /r %%i in (*.chd) do chdman extractcd -i "%%i" -o "%%~ni.cue"
Save as.bat in the same folder and name Extract CHD to CUE
-Drop your cue/gdi file into the correct bat file

Playstation 2/PSP:
-Use CSO format.
Tool: https://github.com/unknownbrackets/maxcso
Pcsx2 and ppsspp support this.

Gamecube/wii:
-Use inbuilt dolphin compression formats.
Rvz is recommended.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
just use Compact command with xpress16k argument on your emulator folder

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom