Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody interested in a old computer games rpg/strategy game collection?
I am thinking of making a small collection of computer shit before amiga/dos.Can't guarantee genre corrections since i am using both moby and game faq and they each have their own bullshit.But,you probably will get 90+percent of rpg/strategy games of that era.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I am thinking of making a small collection of computer shit before amiga/dos.Can't guarantee genre corrections since i am using both moby and game faq and they each have their own bullshit.But,you probably will get 90+percent of rpg/strategy games of that era.
Which computers? Like C64, ZX Spectrum and Apple II? Or some of the less popular ones like the Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro and MSX?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Which computers? Like C64, ZX Spectrum and Apple II? Or some of the less popular ones like the Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro and MSX?
Apple II/GS,Amstrad cpc , commodore 64 and spectrum.After that comes the jap 8 bit family.Msx will be part of that.

Not gonna include:
BBC micro-Lack of the said genres
Commodore pet/16/Apple1 -Very hard to find complete stuff and have better ports on their successors

Maybe:
Trs 80-Hits all the criteria but,most of the games are uglier ports.Also hard to find correct dumps,even for tosec. Will see can i find anything.

The collection will include emu's for windows,some docs about emu or the machine,txt faq rips from game faq and the strategy/rpg genre games with naval sims and train stuff.Space and flight games don't really interest me.
Manuals unfortunately are just too time consuming to find and will bloat the size.I will try to see if i can find some collection i can rip.

I will probably be able to do one system per 1/2 days depending on the library size.

lightbane

Arcane
Random question Codexers: What would you recommend to configure the duckstation emulator for the PS1? It seems to be similar to other emulators of the same console, but open-sourced. However, it seems to work well and is easy to config. Still, I was curious if you had recommendations that apply to all PS1 emulators, or this one.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Apple II/GS,Amstrad cpc , commodore 64 and spectrum.After that comes the jap 8 bit family.Msx will be part of that.
The collection will include emu's for windows,some docs about emu or the machine,txt faq rips from game faq and the strategy/rpg genre games with naval sims and train stuff.Space and flight games don't really interest me.
Okay, just for information sake, when you're doing the emulator for MSX, make sure you include an option for an original MSX1 without a disk drive. As silly as it sounds, I found out the hard way that some games don't work when you have one. I don't know if that's only a problem to one specific game, which isn't something you'll be putting in this collection anyway, or if multiple early games have the same issue, but better safe than sorry. MSX emulation is kind of like Amiga emulation in that the you get a whole bunch of emulated components and systems that you have to figure out what combination works best with what you're aiming for.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Starting to upload my collection.
Let's begin with the Apple ii:
https://mega.nz/file/4SwjnYwR#_6OtXdReICDr-Pj7JVY6tHFzIVmiizgxrFldjinRfnM

What does this pack include:
-Applewin emu as it is the best choice for windows.Mednafen is not recommended and Mame has more model's compatibility
but applewin is easier and doesn't require extra files.
For linux users you can download the fork here:
https://github.com/linappleii/linapple
-Ciderpress if you want to format/modify disks
-Basic pdf about emulation general wiki for the machine.
-Gamefaq txt faq's
-Blank discs for saving and data disc creation.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games
with rpg elements and stealth games.
There are multiple variants depending on the disk format and dumps.That isn't bad because even good dumps can have
problems and having alternatives is a good thing.
Deleted the bad variants and found some missing stuff.

Next one is gonna be the apple ii gs.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
flyingjohn said:
The pass is the op's favorite underwater game.
;)
flyingjohn said:
Hint: It is a dos game and has dynasty in it's title.
g11P3yR.gif

mogwaimon

Magister

Retroarch cucks do you have anything to say in your defense?

Death of the author. Pretty much have to exercise that if you want to enjoy anything these days because as the whole situation with Byuu is proving, people are just fuckin crazy. as I've said before Retroarch is perfectly fine IMO for systems 32-bit era and below, anything higher than that or anything involving arcade machines is best left to more specialized emulators.

There is no solution for arcade emulation that is more input responsive and frame-accurate than FBN/FBA under Retroarch using runahead.

Shmupmame doesn't hold a candle to it.

mogwaimon

Magister
Ah, is that so? I haven't played an arcade game in a minute but with how finicky MAME can be with romsets and obsoleting them every other version I assumed it was best to go with the actual MAME over Retroarch. In fact I didn't even realize FinalBurn Alpha was still in development, I haven't used that since way back in the day when it was one of the best options around along with Kawaks for Neo Geo and CPS2 and all that

FBA is dead, the new fork is Final Burn Neo - uses the same romsets, though.

The RA core is great. 1 frame response is something you really have to experience and there's no going back once you do - even native hardware has 2-3 frames of delay (some very popular shmups have even more - for example, the actual Battle Garegga board has 5 frames of delay, if I'm not mistaken).

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, tested ryujinx finally.

Pros:
- Both tested games worked.
- Performance is surprisingly decent, considering my rig (i7 4790 + GTX 1050 + Win7)

Cons:
- Interface is shit.
- Updates for FE didn't work (something overflow something). Are these firmware related (you have to have certain firmware installed to install them)?

iPtUejI.jpg

B1dmLEX.jpg

eWVfrzh.jpg

In this month I plan to finally upgrade downgrade to Win10 on my main rig, which can improve things further (new mobo with i7 7700 installed). But I still have 2 NDS & 3 3DS Fire Emblems to play before TH...

Bonus:

sguZXff.jpg

9vOdscC.jpg

fBpKXXi.jpg

IcnItdB.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
- Updates for FE didn't work (something overflow something). Are these firmware related (you have to have certain firmware installed to install them)?
Updates and DLC installed fine for me on 11.0. Not a clue how it works on real hardware.

image.png

Make sure to enable 6gb memory and host unchecked memory mode.

Puukko

Arcane
The side story in FETH has the largest battles so far (50+ total units including beasts) so it is not surprising this is where I get the worst performance. I still have the entire later half of the game left so this is far from a definitive analysis, but in chapter 5 I had the worst performance so far by a decent margin, with lows of 25 fps. I noted that in these scenarios the FIFO was in the high 90s indicating an emulation bottleneck rather than a hardware one - that's the emulated GPU pipeline hitting its limit while neither my CPU or GPU are. Given how easy it is for me to change clocks on the go, I could check how much I have to underclock before I notice a performance dip to get a feel for what kind of CPU would be required to get max performance in these circumstances currently. Ryujinx is hitting 40-42% CPU usage though individual threads are in the 80s, so I am definitely not expecting miracle results. I know for a fact I noticed zero difference between my 4.75ghz overclock and 4.5ghz summer time undervolt so giving up on overclocking for the time being was a no brainer.

I wonder if better memory would help in this situation - I'm using cheapo 3200mhz kits with tightened timings so definitely not the worst there is but I know for a fact current emulators really like fast memory. It took me a while to dismantle the notion I had learned years ago that memory speed for gaming doesn't matter.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection.
Apple II GS time.
https://mega.nz/file/ZCJTDLSQ#vSa-18WPR5lfKQ5ceznej2yUCwUv1_WDqTyEj77BKhM

What does this pack include:
-Gsplus and older version of kegs included.Gsplus is a abandonned fork of kegs which runs better on windows while the
older verison of kegs is more accurate but can have issues with windows.(newer versions don't have a windows binary)
If you want a linux emu go here:
https://apple2.gs/plus/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kegs/files/kegs.1.05/
-Collection of os version's including hard drive images with installed os and other stuff.
-Rom 1 and 3 firmware
-Basic pdf about emulation general wiki for the machine and soem emulation instructions/info..
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games
with rpg elements and stealth games.

The only manuals included are for games that might still have their drm active.
Faq are not included because gamefaq lumps this machine with the the apple ii ,any faq available is already included
in the apple ii collection.

Next one is going to come next week as i am gonna try to do early mac stuff and if that fails it is going to be the
amstrad cpc.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Random question Codexers: What would you recommend to configure the duckstation emulator for the PS1? It seems to be similar to other emulators of the same console, but open-sourced. However, it seems to work well and is easy to config. Still, I was curious if you had recommendations that apply to all PS1 emulators, or this one.
These are my preferences. I use the defaults setting for everything with the exceptions:

- Emulation:
+ Sync To Host Refresh Rate

- Display:
+ Vsync
+ Downsampling: Box (Downsample 3D/Smooth All)
This is my specific taste: I prefer to play the game in the original resolution since I don't see a particular reason to upscale to HD when the original graphics is optimized for lower resolution. This is true for both 2D (for obvious reasons) and 3D. In 3D you have very low poly count models and very low res textures: if you increase the resolution you just see how primitive it was.

On the other hand, by using an higher resolution + downsampling you remove completely the jagged pixellation of 3D and have a perfect integration of 3D and 2D in games like Resident Evil (you can barely discern which is the rendered 3D graphics and the pre-rendered 2D background
+ Integer Upscaling (depending by the game and the monitor, sometime I just use Linear Upscaling)

- Enhancement:
+ Internal Resolution Scale: 4x
+ Texture filtering: Nearest-Neighbor
I prefer NN in 2D graphics (backgrounds, sprites, text, etc.), but I would prefer some kind of interpolation in the textures of 3D models. Alas this distinction can't be done in Duckstation, while it is possible in the Mednafen core PS1 emulator
+ True Color Rendering (depending on the game and my mood)
+ Disable Interlacing
+ Chroma Smoothing for 24-Bit Display
+ PGXP: (These are almost mandatory, they remove the wobbling, wrong texture projection, etc. of the PS1 3D rendering)
* Geometry Correction
* Cullling Correction
* Texture Correction
* Preserve Projection Precision
* Depth Buffer (this can fuck-up the graphics in some games, if this is the case just disable)
* CPU Mode (this can fuck-up the graphics in some games, if this is the case just disable)

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Thanks! I didn't expect an answer by now. I was planning to use the emulator for Front Mission 2, an early PS1 game with indeed primitive 3D graphics, so I dunno which options will work. I'll have to check.

index.php

Arcane
DOSBox Staging v0.77.0 is out.
https://dosbox-staging.github.io/v0-77-0/

• Migrated Staging from autotools to the Meson build system.
    • Those building from source, please see BUILD.md in the repository.
  • Added write-xor-execute page support to comply with the latest macOS and SELinux security policies.
    • Thanks to jmarsh and Jonathan Campbell for discussions on vogons.
  • Added variable expansion to the interactive DOS shell.
  • Finished FluidSynth integration, which is now included in all release binaries.
    • See the wiki notes for how to use it.
    • Run mixer /listmidi in the DOS shell to see your available soundfonts.
    • Thanks to Christian Lestrade for authoring this support in 2005, and all subsequent maintainers.
    • Thanks to Meson for adding FluidSynth to the WrapDB.
  • Finished MT-32 integration, which is now included in all release binaries.
    • Run mixer /listmidi in the DOS shell to see the available MT-32 models and versions.
    • See the list of unmissable MT-32 experiences, courtesy vogons.org forum user Shreddoc and contributors.
    • Thanks to Canadacow for authoring MT-32 emulation in 2003, KingGuppy and Mok for the follow-on work, and SergM who continues to maintain and improve the Munt project today.
    • Thanks to Meson for adding libmt32emu to the WrapDB.
    • Thanks to Microsoft for adding libmt32emu to Vcpkg.
  • Added IBM PS/1 Audio device support.
    • Thanks to JMK for authoring PS/1 Audio emulation in 2008.
  • Added Innovation SSI-2001 audio device support.
    • Thanks to Vasyl for authoring SSI-2001 emulation in 2006.
    • Thanks to Dag Lem for authoring, and Antti Lankila and Leandro Nini for improving the SID chip emulator.
  • Replaced the default Ctrl+F<keys> hotkeys on macOS with Cmd+F<keys> to reduce conflicts with the OS.
    • Thanks to Antti Peltola, Burrito78, and Kirk Klobe for guidance and testing.
  • Added or Improved translations for French, Italian, Polish, Russian, and Spanish.
    • Thanks to Draky50110 (fr), Kappa971 (it), dreamer (po), IlyaIndigo (ru), and Peluchito (es).
  • Added splash_only to the startup_verbosity settings. This shows the splash but skips the help banner.
  • Three relative window sizes: small, medium, or large are now understood by the windowresolution conf setting. These T-shirt sizes correspond to a window that's 25%, 50%, or 80% of your desktop's area, regardless of DPI or type of monitor (be it 720p, 1080p, or 4K).
  • Window resizeable using corner-drag is now auto-enabled on all platforms when conditions permit.

lightbane

Arcane
What a load of bullshit. It seems that not only the Front Mission 2 translation was never completed after so long, but the links to youtube videos the translators added are down. In fact, so is the FM translation page.
Even better/worse, there was some kind of drama between the FM2 translators and the FM5 ones. Translators are insane(r) than modders.
For what's worth, the FM5 translation is much better since it's completed except for one or two videos. Said videos were included as part of the translation package, unlike the FM2 ones.
Nevermind, they're in Youtube but no longer available. :decline:

Oh well, I guess I'll play other emulated games at worst.

EDIT:

Actually, the translation pages are still alive, they moved out. No idae why, since no more work is being done.

https://opticalgarbage.com/frontmission/wiki/index.php/Main/HomePage

The manga Front Mission Dog Life is also finally fully translated, at long last. Yay!

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I've completed FM2 a couple years ago, back when videos were still online, but it was still a chore due to dialogues being untranslated. If you wanna try FM2, you should try this fix as well (no longer on Romhacking, probably due to some drama?):

- Front Mission 2 English Patch Fix -
by pedr0 - v1.1

ABOUT:
The "final" Front Mission 2 English Patch was sadly not only a partial patch due to technical difficulties, but it also introduced some bugs, most notably missing sound in FMVs and some distorted sound effects.
This fix of the English Patch aims to remedy this and some other issues as well.

CHANGES 1.0:
- Restored the sound in FMVs.
- Fixed some sound effect distortion.
- Incorrect fire damage type tag changed from S to F.
- Fixed the MAX level tag's halfwidth tag.
- Renamed Quick Battle in the System Setup menu to Battle Scene to be less confusing.
- Changed the default automatic name entry from Japanese katakana to English romanji.
NOTE: The names will look garbled in the name entry screen but will look fine in-game. The callsigns will look correct except for Rocky and Cordy due to character limitations.
Because of the character limitations, the default callsigns for Rocky and Cordy have been removed and you will have to enter them manually.
Rocky joins you before Cordy, so the first time the callsign is empty, manually enter Rocky. The second time it's empty manually enter Cordy.
You can still change the names and callsigns just as normal if you wish to as well.

CHANGES 1.1:
- Various minor text, halfwidth tag fixes etc.
- Edited all Wanzer part names on the help info bar from manufacturer acronyms to shortened names for more clarity when choosing parts. I tried to be as consistent as possible within the character limits.
- Translated the opening text graphics.
- Removed the unused SYSTEM.CNF file.
BONUS: Included a .txt and PSP POPs document.dat with skill translations + translated game script in order of appearance.
Also included custom icon0.png, pic1.png and snd0.at3 for use with PSX2PSP.
I highly recommend playing on a PSP with the included document.dat for comfy reading of the game script in the untranslated parts of the game.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/241v...ion+2+[J]+English+Translation+Fix+1.1.7z/file

flyingjohn

Arcane
I am this fucking close to cracking the mac emu puzzle.
All i need is way how to deal with stuffit without throwing files in the emu.
ANYBODY,have any experience in dealing with older stuffit files on windows?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I've completed FM2 a couple years ago, back when videos were still online, but it was still a chore due to dialogues being untranslated. If you wanna try FM2, you should try this fix as well (no longer on Romhacking, probably due to some drama?):
Thanks! So, the videos were up until 2 years ago? I wonder what kind of hidden shitstorm happened, since the franchise is dead and forgotten, so a C&D by Squeenix makes no sense at this point.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I am this fucking close to cracking the mac emu puzzle.
All i need is way how to deal with stuffit without throwing files in the emu.
ANYBODY,have any experience in dealing with older stuffit files on windows?
I'm talking half out my ass here, but have you tried making a fresh harddrive in Mini vMac, then putting all the Stuffit files in there, along with Stuffit. Since you're not supposed to expand Stuffit files that old outside of the emulators. Then, take those files and put them on blank floppies. Macintosh Garden has them here. If those aren't big enough, I guess you'd have to find a different way to make big enough .dsk files. (assuming that's what you're asking)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom