Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by spekkio, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Morpheus Kitami Savant

Morpheus Kitami
    I'm talking half out my ass here, but have you tried making a fresh harddrive in Mini vMac, then putting all the Stuffit files in there, along with Stuffit. Since you're not supposed to expand Stuffit files that old outside of the emulators. Then, take those files and put them on blank floppies. Macintosh Garden has them here. If those aren't big enough, I guess you'd have to find a different way to make big enough .dsk files. (assuming that's what you're asking)

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Thanks for the info.
    Decided to go sheepshaver transfer route since it allows linking my hdd with the virtual one.
    After that i just run the stuffit expander and transfer stuff back to my hdd. It is gonna be a slow process but thankfully i am only doing old mac stuff and not most of the 90's dos ports that are too similar.
    Also some info for anyboy interested.Creating folders on the mac desktop is bad idea,create folders on your virtual hdd,there is some kind of read only shenanigans which exist in windows as well.

^ Top  
  3. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    As of today PCSX2 is officially a plugin-less emulator. The entire system has been ripped out.

:flamesaw:

So people can stop complaining about that now. That doesn't mean pcsx2 is suddenly more accurate btw.. (Less compatible even if you consider that some workarounds are no longer possible) There wasn't even a choice of plugins for a long time so the end-user benefit for now is not yet noticeable. Code is nicer though and that will have benefits in the long run.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Unfortunately, I can't make it work. I tried using a "clean" .bin file to patch it, but then the game freezes when the intro tries to load. I have a file with the previous translation version which works, but it doesn't have sound in the intro. Dunno if the rest of the game works at least (not counting the untranslated events).

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Good news:
    -Finally dealt with mac emulation and have it figured out
    Bad news:
    -Can only download 20 files per day on that horrible website

Expect something by the end of the week.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    lightbane

AFAIR you have to patch the .iso file, not the .bin (as usual). I was unable to patch the vanilla image, till I converted it to .iso. Another example of quality work from translation team - there's no info about this anywhere.

Original .bin is 406 MB big:

[​IMG]

But the actual files are only 354 MB:

[​IMG]

The rest is the "cd overhead" - info about where on disc each file is located.

Sadly, you can't convert from .bin to "cropped" .iso using most of "normal" CD image software (like Ultraiso for example), you have to use teh oldshit like WinISO (convert bin to iso):

[​IMG]

And the output .iso can be patched with original translation patch:

[​IMG]

Again, notihing described above was explained by the translation team. I had to DIY.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, you have to invest 30$ to get a full version of WinISO...

[​IMG] Just kidding - delete after use! [​IMG]

Shit is almost 20 years old, but works like a charm:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Lots of work to make that patch work, it seems. Worse, only the "ultimate hits" version is supposed to work for this, but I dunno if the one I found is the version I require. Oh well, I'll try this. I hoped you had a patched .iso still around.

^ Top  
  8. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Translation patch has "Data Conversion" tool which converts "regular edition" to "ultimate".

I'll try patching my .bin with the "Translation Fix" and see what happens.

^ Top  
  9. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Update:

Patched my original "FM2 (Front Mission History).bin" (CRC A0EBB70B) with the "Translation Fix" patch (you don't have to convert it to .iso, as the author knows his shit, which can't be said about original translation team), got a new one (CRC 3DA0BFF7).

Tested on Retroarch + Beetle PSX core, game works fine, with audio during intro FMV:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#hackerman

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    So, if I got it right, I only have to use any working image for FM2, then use the latest patch for conversion and that's it?
    That's what I did but didn't work when the intro tries to load, at least not for Duckstation. No idea about other emulators yet.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Try other emu. If it still won't work, I will upload my working .bin somewhere. Shit is only 140 MB packed.

#justforyou

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Wow all that shit seems complicated.
    Well,Russian Che Guevara to the rescue.

^ Top  
  13. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Actually, can you upload and lend it to me, please? If only so that I can already check whether it's Duckstation's fault, or something I did wrong, or using the wrong file.

^ Top  
  14. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Thanks!

Sadly: my antivirus is bitching that the file is corrupted and infected. I'll see if I can something about it. Or if you need to reupload it in the worst case scenario.

^ Top  
  16. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    It's a .rar archive with .bin and .cue file inside. There's literally nothing that can be infected here (no .exe or .dll).

Just what kind of antivirus do you use? :lol:

^ Top  
  17. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I was using a spare PC with W10 installed since I wasn't using my main PC at that moment, but it seems it was a false alarm. The file works like a charm, yay! Too bad about the half-baked translation. I'll have to check again the translation notes about why characters' names first have Japanese gibberish followed by a legit English name, but that's a minor concern.
    Now, only configuring the emulation for max graphics-whoring and performance remains.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Pluginmerge isn't mentioned yet, will be in the Q3 update.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Yuzu hades update (shader recompiler rework) is out. Aside from making a lot of games finally run and those with bugs to run without bugs it also speed up a lot some of games.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the worst case for emulation and it previously run 15-20 fps in cities with heavy stuttering on my Ryzen 3600. Now with latest Yuzu update:

Locked 30fps with some stutters and i am pretty sure if there was fps unlock mod for it it would run much higher than 30fps.

• nice nice x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. aweigh Arcane

aweigh

Don't wanna jinx it but also coming here to report the new Yuzu performance:

- Yuzu Early Access build 1867, the first one with the new "Hades" shader project, is giving me locked 30fps in Xenoblade Chronicles 1: Definitive Edition in the hardest-hitting areas where before it would fluctuate between 25-30fps.

- The most stressful area in XBC1DE is actually the "Future Connected" post-game DLC and it is the area I'm currently playing in, and am excited to report that (AFTER SHADERS FINISH BUILDING) the game seems to hold 30fps rock-steady and without the previous "random drops" that would happen as you ran around the game world.

- Using VULKAN renderer, btw, haven't even bothered testing OpenGL yet. First thing I did was boot up XBC1DE Future connected DLC and run around the area where I'd get FPS fluctuations and they seem to be gone now with 'Hades', and that's really all I care about!

Finally gonna start XBC1DE post-game DLC now. Reason I had put it off after finishing XBC1DE is because the performance in Future Connected was worse than during the main game since the Future Connected runs on fancier tech and uses engine stuff from XBC 2, so it hit heavier. Now that it's running at 30fps as intended, seemingly without "random drops when running around", I can get to it and finally finish the full XBC1DE experience.

I haven't tested it but since Future Connected runs better now I assume XBC 2 will as well since FC was made with XBC 2 tech.

^ Top  
  21. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Oh, Bravely Default 2 runs now. On Yuzu I mean.

^ Top  
  22. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Did anyone see that they released a playable build of Starcraft Ghost (for Xbox) more than a year ago?

^ Top  
  23. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I was getting an average fps of ~45 in XBC HD FC with the POWER fork of ryujinx in May but when I retested with a recent build I was sitting at ~20 with the FIFO hitting its limit. I don't know what build caused this but I may take another look at it with different builds as a curiosity.

^ Top  
  24. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Random question: Is there a webpage where they talk about the usual isuses one can find upon emulation and best tips to solve them, preferably for particular titles? I know there are some wikis where they state if "x" game is playable in "y" emulator, but sometimes that doesn't seem to be the case for me, whether that's because I'm using improvements that the OG game was never meant for, or emulation issues. Ex: C-12: Final Resistance has textures blacking out for a moment before they're restored in Duckstation emulator. Or Ghost in the Shell for PS1 being unplayable by becoming a mess of weird textures whenever you start the game (again in Duckstation).

^ Top  
  25. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Most of new emulators are not PCSX2. There aren't any hacks to fix stuff. That era is gone gone. There are SOME custom builds that include some test features but overall what you get from mainline branch is what you get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.