Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Right, I completed FE3H on ryujinx. That was a very long game so I figured I should write a summary on what the experience was like and what kind of problems to expect with the current state of the emulator.

Overall rating? 3/5, it's alright. The issues are mostly minor and I did not encounter any game breaking issues or other major hurdles that would seriously have hampered enjoyment of the game. The big upsides of playing the game like this (beyond the obvious) are the graphical improvements. I exclusively played at 2x resolution (~1440p?), with the 60 fps patch enabled and usually with post processing via Gshade (Reshade). The result is visually a much cleaner and up to date presentation compared to OG hardware. This game in particular has a fairly drab and desaturated look which I made much more interesting (to my tastes) with color grading/HDR, slight bloom, AA and sharpening. I posted some screenshots in that thread the other day. In practice a lot of the effects don't work correctly as they've been made with PC games in mind, so finding a good mix of effects was a fair bit of trial and error.

Obviously, there are hurdles. The most noticeable graphical issue is the glitched skyboxes which are immediately apparent, but luckily only really visible during battle animations, otherwise you won't be staring at the sky. Bumping up the resolution comes with a very modest nominal 5 fps cost, but this was measured when the emulated GPU pipeline wasn't hitting its limit - I suspect the difference is greater in those scenarios, but the only thing that would have made me consider dropping the resolution would have been game breaking issues and unacceptable performance. As it was, it wasn't always pretty, but it was certainly playable. Performance varied anywhere between 20-60 fps.

Now, crashes. I started with the POWER fork from May which I used for a couple weeks before updating in late June. Going from that fork to the latest version then resulted in a big reduction in random crashes, I would say in the range of 75%. I only ever remember encountering two mid battle crashes and these were many many versions and a hundred gameplay hours apart.

On the topic of updating to newer versions, it's a mixed bag. Updating that first time to a version that was over a month newer was definitely worth it as it brought stability and slight bumps to performance. Afterwards, not so much. I took a habit of updating every 2-3 days and found no discernible improvements, but instead new problems in the form of launch issues. The game would quite often refuse to launch until some combination of rebooting/launching other games/repeatedly trying would fix it. Also, I noticed some updates drastically reduced performance on the other games I had installed but wasn't actively playing. I'd say it's recommended to always back up known working builds when updating in case something goes wrong since to my knowledge there's no way to download old builds.

What are your PC specs?

Puukko

Arcane
What are your PC specs?
Ryzen 5600x/GTX 1070/16GB 3200CL14/Windows 10. This is very close to the best you can have with this emulator in mind - the only real upgrade would be to buy another memory kit for that dual rank like performance. How much that would help, I have no idea. The biggest bottleneck at this level is not the CPU either, it's the emulated GPU (FIFO). If that hits 100% which it often will, there's nothing you can really do.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection with the commodore 64 and 128.
This pack was hard to make thanks to over a 100 thousand game files.But if i am autistic enough to be making a game
collection while the world goes to shit,i am autistic enough to finish this collection.
https://mega.nz/file/BDpx2YYL#UNT5diWumwuSdPuzEn9Nhs6FMuDM0fvfbWo6g-fLIao

What does this pack include:
-Retroarch vice cores with jiffy dos.(heavily outdated)
Vice,denise and hox64 emu.

-A collection of the best action replay catridges for speeding up loadings.
-Firmware for disk drives.
-Geos and jiffy dos.Use jiffy dos if you are only interested in loading time reduction.
-Various docs about commodore emu's.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games
with rpg elements and stealth games.
This collection will not include various compressed formats like nib.In the older systems these formats were used
because they were the only source of some games.
The only two 128 games i am including are beyond zork and ultima v.Zork for shit and giggles and ultima v is different
from the c64 version(inbuilt fast loader).

Next one is going to be the commodore amiga. That is going to come at the end of the week.

Alter Sack

Magister
Regarding FE3H.

Where can you find an updated ROM with dlcs?

Searched the usual rom sites but couldn't find one.

There is a fitgirl version around but it comes with yuzu and I can't get it running in ryujinx.

Maybe someone can give me a hint where to find it.

Puukko

Arcane
Regarding FE3H.

Where can you find an updated ROM with dlcs?

Searched the usual rom sites but couldn't find one.

There is a fitgirl version around but it comes with yuzu and I can't get it running in ryujinx.

Maybe someone can give me a hint where to find it.

Legends speak of a tracker operated by the Russians.

Alter Sack

Magister
I would like to avoid torrent sites.

Getting caught where I live gets you a hefty fine.

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
I would like to avoid torrent sites.

the alternative is basically shifty google drive links obfuscated by a bunch of 'pay per click' link hiding services. better bring your uMatrix and your ABP. even then you might still end up with a torrent.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yo spekkio,Cat,Morpheus,any one of you interested in old dungeon crawlers that don't have a mapping feature?
I might have something for you for you as a thank you for your continuous brofists/information regarding my collection.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
spekkio said:
Deception 4 - The Nightmare Princess

Game works fine, but since it's some weird PSN to Disc re-pack, the 01.01 Update is nowhere to be found (somebody savvy would have to decrypt a PSN update and modify it to be compatible with the "disc" release).
Disregard that, got gud, found some really nice site which allows you to download games and updates in the .pkg format directly + has .rap files for each title.

:smug:

Got Deception 4 Gold, Ico & SotC HD + updates and .raps for all 3 titles.

ntJSrq7.png

tenor.gif

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Yuzu EA 1883 / Fire Emblem Three Houses. I did try it a year ago and it crashed about one hour in. That doesn't seem to happen anymore. I'm 20 hours in and it didn't crash a single time with playing sessions over two hours.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just mentioning: Dolphin has now mgba built directly into it, so the gba functions in gamecube games are now easily accessible.

tet666

Augur
Yuzu EA 1883 / Fire Emblem Three Houses. I did try it a year ago and it crashed about one hour in. That doesn't seem to happen anymore. I'm 20 hours in and it didn't crash a single time with playing sessions over two hours.

Works pretty well now all things considered audio is still much worse then ryujinx though.

Btw i hope everyone knows about pineappleea.github.io you can get yuzu EA builds there and they even have a handy update tool so no need to pay the patreon tax if you just want EA builds.
And before someone asks (yeah if ever :lol:) yes it's completely fine to provide compiled EA builds the emulator is open source and according to GPL they are good as long as they provide source which they do. The yuzu devs just don't like it because of their precious patreon money, well obviously.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, I'm playing Majin And The Forsaken Kingdom ATM. Noticed info about some DLC in the menu:

rZLUH4U.jpg

But to my surpise, the DLC for the NA version (BLUS 30472) can't be find anywhere on the webz. The only thing that's available is the DLC for the EUR version (BLES 00919).

I said: what the hell, let's TEST this shit. DLed, installed .pkg, renamed DLC folder in /dev_hdd0/game/ from BLES00919 to BLUS30472 (just remember about ALL CAPS, because PS3 filesystem needs UPPERCASE), and voila:

rFNzLEa.jpg

S2ys8zX.jpg

So, it looks like the files in /Usrdir/ are identical in both versions (& Param.sfo is just an info file).

:dance:

Last edited:

Maximilian

Apparently, shader issues on Yuzu were resolved more or less completely, making hundreds of games run properly.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, OP has been updated. Changes:
  • Nintendo 64: RA - ParaLLEl 64 is now suggested solution,
  • Nintendo Switch: Added Ryujinx; added link to yuzu's EA builds (thanks, tet666),
  • Nintendo Dual Screen: Added RA - melonDS,
  • Sony Playstation: Added DuckStation,
  • Microsoft Xbox: Added xemu,
  • fixed some broken links and shit.
That is all. :obviously:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection with the commodore amiga/cdtv/cd32.
Emu and extras:
https://mega.nz/file/APhUyRoa#tQg0ohJAdcquAKyhZYc9PI6jATiA-ZU2bCupLXfEwig
Cd32 games:
https://mega.nz/file/5ewFXAqS#YUJkvx8jWqPA57EVxFz2Lv0OW56xhceh550Ly7Bv0aQ
Amiga cd Games:
https://mega.nz/file/QWxDDKaI#3PihjJVHOW9SLmW8egU47ZqrBgHEW6vUnkL31ck33sw
Amiga floppies:
https://mega.nz/file/sTxV3SZQ#gsEwhxrkvzDUTeBo471N7ksNprmwZXPZSqSsy9Ix3qI
whdload collection link:
https://mega.nz/folder/gdozjZxL#uI5SheetsAd-NYKMeRjf2A

-Retroarch fsuae cores with firmware.Fsuae and winuae standalone emu's.
Fsuae can load whdload stuff without workbench and is preferred.Retroarch core is even better with simple drag and
drop support.
Included ipf plugins if you wish to play ipf files.

-Firmware and workbench os collection.This includes wbclassic and wblite versions.
-Various docs about commodore emu's.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games
with rpg elements and stealth games.
Amiga games are in adf and whdload format.Adf are disks without protection and whdload are preinstalled games.
Cd games are amiga games with cd support and commodore cdtv games.
Cd 32 games are all cd as the name implies.

Next one is going to be the spectrum.That is going to come mid next week or tomorrow if i feel like it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Out of curiosity, what does the floppy download contain? And by that, I mean, what years? I got a complete collection for the Amiga years ago but it had a cutoff date of about '94, '95. Unfortunately after that is when Amiga games start coming on 10+ floppies. :negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gotta love Mega.nz. Want to download a 1.99 Gb-file? No problem!

Want to download a 2.01 Gb-file? "Sorry, your browser doesn't have the memory to decrypt this file. Install our app to enable this feature!"

flyingjohn

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what does the floppy download contain? And by that, I mean, what years? I got a complete collection for the Amiga years ago but it had a cutoff date of about '94, '95. Unfortunately after that is when Amiga games start coming on 10+ floppies. :negative:
1996-20 entries
1997-9-10 entries
1998-2 entries
Mostly German management games and imperator/bravo romeo delta.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, tested FE:3H on Yuzu & Ryujinx

a) Yuzu works like a charm, updates, DLCs, patches:

uZQw5El.jpg

R73wocj.jpg

BTW, comparison for Outline Removal mod:

Vanilla:

iyO4d0R.jpg

Outline removed:

nSQZjvf.jpg

b) Ryujinx kinda works (game, DLCs), but is still throwing a fit when trying to enable updates:

TdxKSON.png

People mention this error online, in various situations. Maybe it just hates my CPU (7th gen a.k.a. Kaby Lake)? :(

Updates and DLC installed fine for me on 11.0. Not a clue how it works on real hardware.

image.png

Make sure to enable 6gb memory and host unchecked memory mode.
Tested on version older than Puukko's (6894) and newest (6976), on firmware 12.0.3 & 11.0.0, so I don't think it's version / firmware - related.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing my collection with the spectrum zx:
https://mega.nz/file/NTAAmbhR#sudggRKtRtGcQbuip1Rb3e7PfcI_dAd3aNUJe0zmxSU

-Retroarch fuse(and firmware) and eighty one core.Use fuse.
Standalone fuse,eightyone,speccy emu.I prefer fuse to eighty one.

-Speccy fimrware
-Various docs about speccy emu's.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg elements and stealth games.
Multiple formats included because they all seem to work.

This is the end of the western shit,next week begins the japanese uploads with the f series of computers.
Here is handy video to prepeare:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom