Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If for some reasons someone is dealing with early PS3 games requiring DualShock pads - here's workaround for people who don't want to spend bucks on a pad. Source - RPCS3 Discord

It is possible to emulate the SIXAXIS feature (motion controls) available on Playstation controllers with Xbox controllers as well as with KBM.
The following steps show you how to do it on Xbox controllers:
Download DualShock4-emulator then extract the contents to a folder.
Install ViGEmBus. After launching ViGEmBus if it has updates available be sure to install them.
Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2017 or newer.
Run DS4Emulator.exe. You have to keep this tool running in the background.
Right click your game in RPCS3's window -> Create Custom Gamepad Configuration -> Select Dualshock 4 handler on the top left -> Save.
You can now emulate SIXAXIS in the game using the D-Pad buttons on your Xbox controller.
https://github.com/ZeptoBST/DualShock4-emulator/releases
https://github.com/nefarius/ViGEmBus/releases
https://learn.microsoft.com/pl-pl/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It is a while that I started seeing in the auto-update of PCSX2 implementations/fixes about "box downsampling". I assume that is similar to the "downsampling" option already present in DuckStation, but I am still not able to find it among the options in PCSX2 nightly. Have anyone tried it?

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Is there any way to emulate button pressure on pcsx2 with a DS4 pad? There's a "pressure modifier" button in the controller config but it does jack shit. I'm playing MGS2 and I'm trying to set it up so I can holster the weapon without shooting, which should be done by slowly releasing the square button.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out, I was changing the pressure of the modifier key itself while you need to leave it alone and change it in the controller settings tab.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, this is some bullshit fucking news for https://www.romhacking.net/

Legendary ROM hacking site shutting down after almost 20 years

I wonder how long before nothing works in the archive?

Site after site after site. Big corpo think that makes their shit attractive?

Fuck off corpo mother fuckers.

I mean some mod sites suck ass too so, FUCK!

:argh::argh::argh::argh:
:rage:
IMG_3454.jpeg

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah this is just drama

GideonZhi posted some stuff in Twitter explaining the view from the opposite side, but Gideon is also involved in some drama in the past so not sure how reliable his account is

In the end of the day it's just a massive loss for the community.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Because most sega cd's fail by now and emulation is a very valid choice, here is a list I just watched. I'm annoyed Wolfteam didn't translate the jap only games. Blarg! :argh:

And Micronet made another game I wasn't aware of. Now, I played the cart version of Heavy Nova to death. I had no idea there was a sega cd version. I had no idea the sequel Black Hole assault existed. So, now I hear there was a sort of rpg fighter called Revengers of Vengeance? Well... what else Micronet? What else?

IMG_3685.jpeg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm pissed off about what they did to Yuzu. First they made installer that fetched files from online. Then they put install directory to some crap location. And then they closed site.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I'm pissed off about what they did to Yuzu. First they made installer that fetched files from online. Then they put install directory to some crap location. And then they closed site.
Just use Rjujinx.
does it run as well as Yuzu these days?

I remember trying to play 3 Houses with Ryujinx and it had abysmal fps
Was it stuttering or just bad performance? Ryjujinx is still stutter city but performance shouldn't be that bad unless you setup is like one of the troubled ones here:
https://github.com/Ryujinx/Ryujinx-Games-List/issues/230

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Progress for Bloodbourne emu is wild - from very funny 1FPS to 10fps and people beating late game bosses

It confirms my prediction that PS4 is focused solely on BB and that helps in speeding up the progress

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I pay for photobucket and they're being prudes about the digital nudes. Fucking bullshit.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was unaware of the existence of ROMhackPlaza

IMG_4560.webp

IMG_4561.webp

it's a rebrand of RDHO (which had some drama with romhacking.net/RDHN in the past altho unrelated to current drama)

with the death RDHN, RDHO initially was rallying to be replacement, but the creator, Spike, also managed CDR website which provided pre-patched ROM (which romhackers dislike, much like modders in general dislike modpacks in Nexus/Wabbjack). Spike stepped down, transfer the website to other guy and it rebranded as RomhackPlaza

one of the thing the new guy did is this feature of allowing the site to be a repo of hacks with nudity altho you need an account to access adult only section

CDR is pretty good to find some obscure hacks that never was in RDHN tho, some hard-type hacks burried in obscure forums, some JP only hacks from god knows where can be found in CDR. But I guess for easily avaialble hacks in RDHN providing a pre-patched ROM could feel shitty

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still find it odd such pixelated titties were banned from my photobucket private reserve.

SexExitium

Augur
EDIT: some people use a raspberyy pi with RGB output via scart to a TV for emulation, that's probably the "cheapest" authentic displauy option for arcade/console games, if you have a decent enough CRT TV somewhere.
That's my setup, RPi 5 with an RGB-Pi SCART cable to a 21" Philips TV that I found for 20 bucks on the local_region craigslist. There are better and cooler options I'm sure, but this was super simple to set up for a newb like me and the total price including a controller was like $200 so whatever. I also like the small footprint and the lack of fan noise on the Pi (passive cooler). At least the latest Recalbox (9.2.3) supports RPi 5, don't know about the other ones.

I bought it primarily for PS1 and older gen games which work fine as expected, no PS2 support for now from what I've understood (perhaps it's not even feasible on a Pi?) but don't quote me on this. I've done some quick tests on other platforms (Jet Set Radio and Soulcalibur on the Dreamcast, Wave Racer 64 on the N64 and Daytona USA on the Saturn) and the games seemed to run fine @ 60FPS after some slight tweaks.

You can't get audio straight out of RPi 5 for now because of some driver issue or whatever, I had a cheap USB audio interface laying around that I used to connect to the TV's audio input (you could also use something like this to inject the audio signal straight into the SCART, however the double SCART with the RCA plugged into it is quite hefty and might put some strain on the port so I'd put whatever random suitable sized object you have beneath them for support).

Most importantly shit looks great

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Cemu finally has a new version:
https://github.com/cemu-project/Cemu/releases

Changelog​

Major new additions:

• Added appimage and flatpak releases for Linux
  • Added an experimental release for macOS. Available for x86-64 only for now but it can be run on ARM macs through Rosetta 2 emulation. MoltenVK is used as the graphics backend
  • Added a tool to emulate the USB portals for Skylanders and Disney Infinity
  • Added NFC/NTAG support. Pokemon Rumble U figures can now be scanned from a file similar to the existing Amiibo scanning
  • Added support for titles stored in .wuhb (Wii U homebrew) and .app (NUS) format
  • Added support for connecting to Pretendo network services
  • Cemu on Windows is now non-portable by default for new installations only. All data and config files will be stored in %appdata%/Cemu. This makes the Windows installation match other platforms. Existing installations will not be affected
  • Added portable mode by placing a directory named portable next to the Cemu executable. Cemu will then store data and config files in this folder. This works on all platforms
General:

• Added Disable screen saver setting
  • Added --title-id command line parameter to launch games by title id
  • Added desktop shortcut creation to game list
  • Added experimental GamePad microphone support
  • Improved unicode character support across the board, including the names and descriptions of graphic packs
  • Cemu will no longer refuse to start when the MLC path is invalid
  • Fixed several GamePad window size issues
  • Fixed a regression causing an infinite loop in the renderer. This would previously cause Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Pokkén Tournament to freeze on boot
  • Fixed a regression causing some games to crash without dumped Mii system files. Known affected games were Sonic Lost World and Super Mario 3D World
  • Initial support for title switching
    • Improved compatibility with the Wii U menu which can now run and launch games
    • Games with launchers, like Ryū ga Gotoku 1 & 2 HD and Steamworld Collection, are now playable
    • This feature is still experimental. Once it's stable, the option to quit games without closing Cemu will be added
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when the Title Manager tried to display system data titles
  • Fullscreen mode can now also be toggled with F11
  • The GamePad view will now display the game-specific bootup screen
  • Discord rich presence will use the translated title name that matches the console language, instead of defaulting to English
  • Fixed an issue where error dialogs in a game (erreula) can't be interacted with if the GamePad window is open
  • Updated default game profiles
  • Decreased the latency of the H264 decoder by decoding frames asynchronously
Windows:

• Re-enabled DPI awareness
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when no audio devices are available
Linux:

• Added wayland support
  • Added support for storing MLC and game files on case-sensitive filesystems
  • Added an option to enable GameMode
  • Brought online features on a par with Windows builds
  • Enabled DSU controller support
  • Emulated games can now access HID devices from the host via libusb (e.g. Skylanders portal)
  • Many changes to improve robustness of the Linux build
  • Added debug option to create core dumps on crash
  • Improved diagnostics logging in case of crashes or other exceptions. Cemu is now also shipped with symbols so that stack traces show function names
  • The CPU and memory statistics in the overlay now work on Linux
  • The background colors of the Game List now match the brightness of the window theme instead of always using bright colors
  • Fixed an issue where closing the GamePad window would freeze Cemu
  • Fixed a bug where the GamePad window would not render anything with OpenGL
  • Fixed an issue where some UI dialogs would cause Cemu to crash after closing them
  • Fixed many smaller UI issues specific to WxWidget's wxGTK backend
UI:

• Added Receive untested updates option to general settings. More info here
  • Added Open Cemu folder and Open MLC folder options to the File menu
  • Added new options when right-clicking a game inside the Game List
    • Copy the title ID, name or icon of a game
    • Delete the shader cache of a game
  • Added a location column to the Title Manager
  • Separated icons in the Game List into their own hideable column
  • Fixed empty title names in Title Manager if the console language is set to something other than English
  • Fixed an issue where custom game names would not show in the Game List when it was set to icon mode
  • Fixed an issue where an extra "c" entry would show up in the save import/export dropdown in the Title Manager
  • Fixed an incorrect error message that could occur while installing games due to a mistake in the calculation of free disk space
  • The font size of overlay text will now scale according to the display's DPI
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when clicking on the Format column header in the Title Manager
  • Use the long title names in the Game List instead of the short name. This was changed due to some games which have cut-off short names
  • UI elements for options that cannot be changed at runtime are now grayed out when a game is running
  • Simplified the Getting Started dialog
  • Various smaller tweaks and restructuring of the UI to make Cemu more user-friendly
CPU:

• Improved emulation of PowerPC overflow condition. Improves compatibility with some Unity and DS Virtual Console games
GPU core (Latte):

• Added support for more shader instructions, some of which are necessary for homebrew shaders compiled with CafeGLSL
  • Optimized output of the shader decompiler which slightly reduces shader compilation times
  • Removed shaderMulAccuracy min option since it has no measurable benefits over the other options
  • Use better hashing for the buffer cache to avoid hash collisions. Fixes a bug in BotW where the weapon trail effect would sometimes render in a solid red color for a single frame
  • Added support for a missing vertex format used by Rabbids Land
  • Corrected calculation of FragCoord.w. Fixes rendering issues in DS Virtual Console games
  • Fixed several issues where the shader decompiler could generate broken GLSL. Fixes rainbow colors on characters in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Various smaller optimizations
OpenGL:

• Removed -legacy command line parameter which has been non-functional for a long time. Originally this would disable some features to fix crashes on pre-2015 Intel GPU drivers
  • Cemu should no longer crash if OpenGL fails to initialize
  • Fixed a regression where Cemu's precompiled shader cache for OpenGL wasn't actually used
  • Lowered latency of texture readback. This fixes severe FPS drops in BotW whenever something is lit on fire
Vulkan:

• The option Async shader compile is now enabled by default
  • Multi-threaded pipeline compilation during the shader cache loading screen is now again enabled on Nvidia drivers which results in much faster pipeline loading
  • Fixed incorrect decoding of R4G4 texture format when VK_FORMAT_R4G4_UNORM_PACK8 is not supported. Fixes invisible rupee counter in Twilight Princess HD
  • Several changes to make Cemu align more with the Vulkan specification
  • Avoid a crash if validation layer is enabled but not installed
  • Improve floating point emulation accuracy in shaders when VK_KHR_SHADER_FLOAT_CONTROLS extension is available. This fixes mobs in Minecraft having misplaced limbs
  • Added support for R32_X8_FLOAT color texture format
  • Allow RGBA16F texture format with SRGB bit. Fixes a crash in Sonic Transformed
  • Fixed stencil front mask using the value of the back mask
  • Enhanced synchronization of draw calls involving textures that are read from and written to simultaneously. Resolves an issue with broken heightmaps in BotW on the Mesa RADV driver
  • Resolved a crash that occurred when the pipeline cache failed to open due to corruption or other issues
Online Functionality:

• Fixed online connectivity for accounts in North America region after Wii U system update 5.5.6
  • Added option to switch between Nintendo, Pretendo or custom server URLs
  • Online mode and server selection can be set per-account instead of only globally
  • The Download Manager will always connect to Nintendo servers even if the current account is set to Pretendo or custom servers. This avoids the hassle of having to switch server settings temporarily to use the Download Manager
  • Fixed SpotPass downloads not working at all on Linux/MacOS and generally improved robustness of SpotPass downloads
  • Correctly set the current app in the friend status so it doesn't show up as "???" to other friends anymore
  • Added rudimentary proxy support (can currently only be configured by editing settings.xml)
Input:

• Added a pairing utility for Wiimotes
  • Added Wiimote support for Linux and MacOS
  • Fixed a crash on Cemu startup caused by DSU initialization that would occur when not connected to any network
  • Added support for analog triggers for DSU API controllers
  • Fixed incorrect CRC calculation in DSU protocol
  • Fixed an issue where the UI would allow to configure more controllers of a particular type than technically supported
  • Always refresh the input settings UI when a different controller profile is selected
  • Loading a controller profile in the input settings, then changing the name and saving it again correctly creates new profile under the new name now
  • Simulate the behavior of the Wii U input driver returning no input data when queried too quickly. Fixes extra controllers not being detected in Affordable Space Adventures
  • Increased frequency of WPAD/KPAD sampling callbacks. This fixes the high latency of controllers in Pokémon Rumble U
Audio:

• Added a default device to the Cubeb device selection
Localization:

• More parts of Cemu are now translatable
  • While some languages have been updated with new translations, most translations remain incomplete. We are looking into streamlining the translation process in the future
Graphic packs and patches:

• The feature to change the pixel format of a texture (overwriteFormat in rules.txt) is now working correctly on Vulkan
  • Fixed an issue in the parser for assembly patches where commas inside strings would be treated as a delimiter
  • Games will now see new files added via graphic packs. Previously when a game iterated a directory, it would only see files matching the names of the original game files and not any of the new files added by graphic packs
Debugging:

• Added GDB stub for attaching external debuggers
  • Added a simplistic PPC profiler to the PPC Threads view
  • Fixed register window not updating in PPC debugger on Linux/MacOS
  • Added logging breakpoints
  • Added support for memory read/write breakpoints on Linux
  • PPC stack traces in log.txt will display function names if they are available
  • Added Invalid API usage log type. This log type is aimed at homebrew developers and will inform about misuse of certain API functions
  • Assigned a name to all of Cemu's threads. The main thread is now called cemu
  • Added a window to view logging output in realtime (Debug -> Open logging window)
  • Various smaller fixes for the PPC debugger
Technical CafeOS and HLE improvements:

• Fixed a bug in nn_save that would prevent a title from accessing the saves of other titles. This is often for bonus content like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker or demo versions of games
  • Fixed an out-of-bounds memory access in sndcore
  • Reworked coreinit API related to thread creation (OSCreateThread, OSCreateThreadType)
  • Added HLE implementions for nfc.rpl, ntag.rpl and proc_ui.rpl
  • Implemented coreinit FSA API which is used by homebrew compiled with WUT 1.3.0 or newer
  • Reworked nsyshid to support different backends (currently the backends are: libusb, Windows HID API and emulated portals)
  • Stubbed drmapp PatchChkIsFinished, AocChkIsFinished, TicketChkIsFinished and nn_sl.GetDefaultWhiteListAccessor to avoid errors and crashes on the Wii U menu
  • Stubbed sysapp.SYSSwitchToEManual to avoid softlocks when accidentally opening the manual in any game
  • Fixed a regression where most OSAtomic functions would return the wrong value
  • Fixed issues where Mii names where handled with the wrong endianness leading to names being displayed as garbled text in some games
  • OSReport and OSConsoleWrite are now thread-safe and calling them in parallel will not cause log corruption or crashes
  • Various improvements to coreinit OSDynLoad API
  • Reworked coreinit memory mapping API (OSAllocVirtAddr, OSMapMemory, etc.)
  • Tweaked coreinit thread scheduler to avoid a deadlock in Just Dance 2019
  • Fixed an issue where emulated PowerPC threads would sometimes immediately end their allotted timeslice
  • Added support for parent directory references ("..") in FS/FSA file paths
  • Fixed an issue where the FS/FSA working directory would be ignored for some filesystem operations
  • Implemented more parts of nn_olv. Mario Kart 8 tournaments and ranking uploads are now functional
  • Fully reworked nn_fp (Friend service) implementation
  • Implemented PPC va_list and va_arg. Additionally reworked functions that rely on these
  • Fixed UTC offset calculation in GetUtcOffset/GetUtcOffsetEx
  • Correctly handle permissions for FSGetMountSource. This fixes One Piece: Unlimited World Red freezing on boot
  • Started work on a new modularized approach of handling HLE modules. This will eventually simplify title switching and is a prerequisite for multi-process emulation
  • Improved accuracy of OSSwitchCoroutine. Fixes a crash in Injustice: Gods Among Us during boot
  • Implemented minimal code for KBDGetKey. Fixes MSX Virtual Console games freezing on boot
  • Correctly treat the target in GX2CopyColorBufferToScanBuffer as a bitmask and not an id
  • Avoid a crash in nsysnet.recvfrom when the peer address is null
  • Added support for SO_TYPE in nsysnet.getsockopt
  • Added support for SO_BIO and SO_ENOTCONN in nsysnet
  • Correctly set wiimote position visibility state in KPADRead. This fixes the wiimote cursor being invisible in Little Inferno
  • Fixed a crash that would happen when KPADGetUnifiedWpadStatus was called while input logging is enabled
  • Improved handling of APIs that should fail gracefully in offline mode (e.g., nn_act.AcquireNexToken)
  • Implemented additional CafeOS API:
    • coreinit: OSIsDebuggerPresent, OSGetForegroundBucketFreeArea, OSGetSystemTick, MCP_GetTitleId
    • nsysnet: inet_ntop
    • nn_act: GetTransferableId
    • nn_acp: ACPGetTitleMetaXml, ACPGetOlvAccesskey
    • zlib125: deflateInit_
Disclaimer: The specific games mentioned in this changelog are notable examples that have known improvements, but the list is not all-inclusive. Other games likely benefit from these changes too but might not have been caught during testing. By nature all changes are game-independent

n0wh3r3

Educated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom