Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by spekkio, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    A lot of problems that people complain about with PCSXR are related to the graphics plugin; switching over to software mode fixes a vast majority of the issues. Of course, some people might not think that's an acceptable compromise or might not have a powerful enough CPU to have a playable framerate; a couple of years ago I played through King's Field 4 entirely in software mode and it was totally fine.

I would much rather play through PS2 titles through an emulator now - even though it's not perfect - than going back to the actual console, which was very prone to hardware failure.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    There are certainly worse emulators out there, but then there are things like Nestopia, Higan, Mednafen (its ps1 bit), Exodus, MAME, Gambatte, recently mGBA etc, all of which aren't as reliant on game specific hacks and emulator configuration as the ones you cited. There's also some hope for the N64 if Cen64 development picks up.
    PCSX2 and Dolphin are of the same breed, that of which often requires specific fiddling (change of emu configuration) depending on the game you're trying to run. They're only good for lack of better alternatives.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    ^ Top  
  4. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Back in a day I was emulating NES and SNES shit on Pentium 200 MMMX / 32 MB RAM, now Nestopia requires 800 MHZ to run properly, wtf? Can we point out lightest emulators of each platform for low end PC?

RockNes (at least old versions) run even on 486 but required Pentium to decent fps rate.
    ZSNES was much faster than Snes9x back then, it could be run even in pure DOS.

How about Genesis, PSX, GBA... ?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    ^ Top  
  5. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Genesis: Gens+
    PSX: pSX
    GBA: VBA

All these are old, obsolete and inferior to the newest emus / forks available in Retroarch.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Callus for CPS1 emulation - it loaded unpacked roms so demaned MUCH less RAM than its Kawaks competitor.
    Now I'm wandering if NESticle wasn't even lighter than Rocknes.
    There was also a nice GB emulator with min. sys. req. of 386 CPU.

^ Top  
  7. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    no$gmb? Played many pokemans on it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Old emulators used a lot of hacks to run at a decent clip. Newer emulators have been focusing on accuracy, which is a good thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Nevermind

^ Top  
  10. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    There is a time and place for all type of emulators. With that said, things that go to the greatest lengths of speed at the cost of high amount of various glitches, like zsnes (which, in many cases, even required hacked roms to fix some potential emulation issues. Thankfully, things like GoodSNES allows you to identify which roms are from the old, bad variety, and which one are the pristine dumps) don't really serve a purpose in 2015 when even a raspberry pi can run snes9x and even the cheapest desktop computer these days can handle something like higan. Even more so true when you consider that the weakest platforms sold these days are ARM and would not be able to run these things.
    Still, if you're interested in modern optimized emulators, the various no$ ones are quite amazing in their own right. During the netbook craze with first generation atom CPUs I used no$gba to emulate various DS games at full speed on a dell netbook, which was impossible with desmume on such a crappy computer.
    I haven't tried the others but I would be surprised if they weren't as speedy as the gba/DS one (the same author made one for the nes, gb, snes and ps1! what a productive guy)

Aside from the glitch/lack of accuracy issues, there's also the fact that the fastest variety of emulators are also not really portable across platforms. Things like zsnes will never be ported to android because they are written almost entirely in.. x86 assembly. "Porting" that to other platforms, like android, would basically mean a total rewrite (as there'd be no point in suffering the overhead from x86 emulation to run another emulator).
    As much as people these days like to hide behind the "sufficiently smart compiler" blahblah, assembly is still king. I'm sure you could make the modern, accurate emulators much faster with a rewrite into assembly, but most of the people working on preserving accurate emulation would probably not want to tie their work to a single platform. They're made by authors that tend to have a "future preservation mindset" and who knows if we'll always be using x86 computers in the future.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Tical Arcane

Tical
    You must have the ultimate bottom of the barrel hand-me-down IBM from your great grandma if you can't run Nestopia. You scoff at 800 MHZ like it's requiring an overclocked i7. You could jump on ebay and grab a used or refurbished i3 rig for a couple hundred bucks that'll run pretty much every accurate emulator you throw at it if you set it up properly.

^ Top  
  12. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    You don't even need an i3. You can run pcsx2 at a decent level with a Pentium G3258 and a little overclock. It's a $62 CPU brand new.

Its PC game performance for an ultra El Cheapo CPU isn't too shabby either.
    And if you can run pcsx2, you can run anything as far as current emulation is concerned.
    We've really gone far in terms of what you can do with a cheap desktop machine these days.

As I said earlier, the only platforms that are low on power, are platforms that can't run those ultra fast emulators anyway. Can't do zsnes on an ARM cpu. The cost of writing your stuff in ASM.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    ^ Top  
  13. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I ran PCSX2 on a slightly overclocked X4 955, even. Not completely hitch-free but I got through Gladius with that. Now I have an i7-3770K and could give Dolphin a proper go, I guess. MadWorld is a game I've been wanting to try.

^ Top  
  14. Tical Arcane

Tical
    Dolphin is much more demanding than PCSX2. I don't think you'll be running Metroid Prime or Super Mario Sunshine for example on a weaker dual core as the one linked above. Even my 4670k struggled before I overclocked, from what I recall. You might be able to at native res if you're lucky but you'll likely encounter a ton of stuttering and audio issues. Otherwise a better core i3/5/7 is needed.

^ Top  
  15. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    I remember trying to get NMH2 to run on my FX-8320. It was suffering.

^ Top  
  16. Nikaido Arcane In My Safe Space

Nikaido
    1/ The G3258 is an extremely overclock friendly dual core. This madman got it running at 4.4ghz on the stock cooler and at that frequency it performs remarkably well with emulators.
    2/ pcsx2 most demanding games, like SotC, Xenosaga, ZOE and MGS3 aren't any less demanding than Dolphin edge cases. You can find games on both emulators that would not run smoothly on a non-overclocked CPU unless you buy one that runs on 4ghz+ stock, like the i7 4790k.

AMD CPUs are suffering. Unless you're solely using your computer for things like video encoding and other highly parallelized tasks, you're wasting your money with that crap. Better get a dual core intel than a quad+ amd on a low budget. Of course, if you do have the money to get a quad intel (i5, i7) get that instead. AMD is not a good alternative no matter the price point.
    Here's a comparison on PC games between the G3258 and the FX 8350.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEuXQf29Z4
    One is a $62 CPU, the other a $180 CPU.
    The AMD performs better on recent games that make good use of multithreading but its per-core performance is fucking abysmal. Visibly worse on CPU intensive, not very multithreaded games, performs equal to the G3258 on games like Tomb Raider (which is pathetic when it cost more than double the price of the pentium). Overall a nice way of wasting $180 when it could get you an i5 instead.
    The difference is much bigger on things like emulators.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    Yeah, I originally had an X4 955 when I built my budget rig, then upgraded to an FX-8320 since I didn't have to upgrade the mobo (which I ended up doing anyway), then I sold those when I found a good deal on an i7-3770K + mobo. At this rate, I won't have to upgrade it for years.

^ Top  
  18. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    It depends on game, really. Tenkaichi Budokai 3 (Wii game!) or Super Mario Sunshine run perfect on Dolphin on my Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz, better than anything I've experienced form PCSX2. Metroid Prime was a slideshow though.

^ Top  
  19. Tical Arcane

Tical
    That's strange. I thought Super Mario Sunshine was one of the most demanding games to run in Dolphin, much like Gran Turismo 4 is in PCSX2. Either way, you really need to upgrade. Core 2 Duo is archaic. If money is tight, then find some stuff to sell on ebay or something. There's always a way.

^ Top  
  20. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    I don't care for now, most of stuff I'm interesting at is fully playable on my rig, maybe after finishing recent shit that's in my range now... BTW what a sad times when my only motivation for hardware upgrade would be an urge to emulate 2000's technology of 6th gen consoles. Maybe when 3DS emulation become reliable....

^ Top  
  21. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    I only used Dolphin for Fire Emblem and Xeno Blande, both worked better than anything I tried in pcsx2, which probably means I am somehow actively fucking up pcsx2 without realizing it :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    In my own experience, Dolphin is one of the most well-optimized and smoothest emulators, and pcsx2 is the opposite, so no surprise there.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    From 2008 (dolphin lol at that time) to 2010 I would argue the complete opposite. And even today I would argue that its more so-so.

Not to mention Gamecube emulation on dolphin (WII games played better on Dolphin when WII emulation was introduced. Which is when Dolphin took off and got that reputation it has today) has been terrible for a long time and only recently improved if we want to do a direct comparison.

^ Top  
  24. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Which games are you having trouble with on dolphin?
    Almost any game(either gamecube or wii) runs flawlessly in these 3 years.
    Even eternal darkness run fine(minus cut scenes being slower) on my old dual core amd of 2.8 ghz, 5 or 4 years ago.

^ Top  
  25. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Situational and stretched over time so not reallly representative.

If you want examples though a few years ago when Dolphin's audio backend still sucked ass and you needed LLE (which had problems as well) to play most games if you didn't want to mute them which slowed games down to 4.5 GHz affairs.
    Or more specifically when the gamecube Pokemon games on Dolphin were still full of graphical glitches.

OtoH I played many games on pcsx2 which more or less (settings) played flawlessly as well on a 2.8Ghz. However I didn't come much into contact with the critical ones (for example I never had the desire to emulate J&D)

Again it's situational anyway, most of all though go back seven years and Dolphin was a complete joke, pcsx2 just came out with 0.9.2-4 and you could reverse the situation. In fact Dolphin going open source back then and living up again was largely due to pcsx2 success in showing: "Yes, that generation is possible*. And after that Dolphin had always more contributors (especially after the WII thing happened) while PCSX2 lost important ones (like cottonvibes). They also did project management better.

It seems like I'm ranting endlessly here or have a vendetta against Dolphin, but... I don't. I do hate the whole *emulator warz* bullshit that has been going on between the two (and sadly encouraged by devs). It's hypocritical fanboying bullshit.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.