Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

A user named cat

I'm well aware of shader generation stuttering, which is why I mentioned using Ishiiraku's build. It attempts to minimize the stuttering by using async timing which is much smoother and will negate problems like audio hiccups and such. Still not perfect though and can cause issues of its own. The tradeoff is worth it. I was just saying that regardless of what you use, Xenoblade's texture pack makes the hitching a bit worse but the game looks a ton better with it. Didn't even know about Dolphin's texture mod scene until recently, some nice stuff to be found and they're super easy to use.

Also discovered there's an experimental DX12 build out now: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-dolphin-dx12-backend

5o2Hn11.png
LB4h61V.png

Unfortunately it requires Windows 10 :argh:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I GOT MY NEW LAPTOP AND SHIT THINGS ARE SO MUCH BETTER

DEMUL RAN TOP SPEED EAASILY AND I THINK IT IS BETTER THAN MAKARON ANYWAYS SO I CAN GO CRAZY WITH NAOIMI AND ATOMISWAVE SHIT

ALL THE 3D MAME SHIT LIKE MK4 MACE THE DARK AGE ETC RAN SMOOTH FUCK EVEN WITH HLSL FILTERS

SEGA MOPDEL 2 STUFF WORKS GOOD

I WANT DOPHIN PCSX2 PROJECT64 AND SEGAMODEL 3 WORKING

A user named cat

I've never messed with Model 3 emulation but isn't the only choice Supermodel? It's still got a long ways to go. Most of the games have bugs still and some are unplayable. If you're going to run Dolphin and PCSX2 on a laptop, you're likely going to have to stick to native or 2x internal resolution at most unless that thing has a beefy gpu.

Weren't you bent on setting up all systems though? Don't overlook lesser known systems like Atari 8-Bit, Atari ST, MSX 1 & 2, Sega SG-1000, NEC SuperGrafx and ZX Spectrum. Lots of great games to play on all of those. I have clean, full sets for all of them (Hyperspin no-intro database standards) but probably can't share them here. Rules gonna rule.

A user named cat

RPCS3 progress. Wow, they're really moving along.

New version of Demul is out too.

http://demul.emulation64.com/downloads/

18.12.2015 UPDATE
  • SH4 MMU optimizations, many WinCE games works at fullspeen on ~recent PCs
  • Tile Accelerator rewrite&optimize
  • Xinput devices without vibration supported
  • automatic DC video mode selection
  • simple deinterlace for TV-modes
  • fix rotate and aspect ratio
  • optional Bilinear filter
  • libchd doesn't require SSSE3 anymore
  • crash fix at exit after fullscreen switching (I hope)
  • gdrImage subcodes emulation fixes and improvements
  • gdrImage fix cue/bin booting support
  • SH4 exceptions handlindg fixes
  • Supid Invaders boots now
  • fixes for recent indie games
  • sync romset with current MAME
  • other minor things was fixed or rewritten, I forget about

Speaking of Dreamcast, I recently found out they're starting to do Reicast Windows builds too FINALLY. Tested one out a week ago and it was pretty much like NullDC minus a UI. I read it's coming to RetroArch too which will be awesome.

There's another 3DS emulator in the works too I came across on reddit's emulation forum, so Citra won't be only the man in town: https://github.com/ichfly/XDS

Last edited by a moderator:

A user named cat

Phantasmal : I didnt even know about the texture packs, when I said HD I meant the emulator's upscaling.
I know, just wanted to bring up the HD texture pack anyway. The game performs okay without them but does suffer from a bit of Gamebryo-like area loading. Texture popins are a bit annoying too. Would be a ton slicker if it were a PC release.

DX 12... fucking God, I don't want to move on damn Windows 10 becouse of this shit. Really.
Agreed. Tried out Win 10 a couple months back and couldn't stand it. Nothing but quirks, a million invasive settings that must be disabled and pointless shit. I wouldn't worry about the Gamecube DX12 renderer though. According to their forums, in a few months time they'll be implementing something called Vulkan.

Khronos' Vulkan (also known as OpenGL Next) is an improved, corrected, hardware-agnostic and open version of AMD's Mantle API.

It works on any OS (Windows 10, 8, 7, WinXP, Mac OSX, GNU/Linux, Android, etc.), supports DX11-compliant GPUs from all vendors (nVIDIA, AMD, Intel, ImgTec, etc.) and works on all devices (PCs, tablets, phones, servers, gadgets, etc.)

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Vulkan specs aren't even public yet, "in a few months" is a bit optimistic. The guy you quoted is talking out of his ass too. "works on any OS" ? Good luck with that on MacOSX which he mentioned. Apple stopped supporting anything newer than OpenGL 4.1 which came out FIVE YEARS AGO to ensure that devs would be forced into their proprietary API, Metal. Of course, vulkan is a non-starter there. That's true for all Apple stuff, be it their computer, phones, tablets etc. Vulkan is not coming there.
On Linux the only manufacturer with good modern drivers is NVIDIA. AMD still doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 on Linux. Despite vulkan being inspired by Mantle there is little doubt that AMD driver support on anything but windows will be trailing behind hard because they like to promise a lot and under-deliver (Mantle never came to linux either despite being announced. Vulkan *will* come but we all know it's not exactly high AMD priority.). Intel integrated GPUs, which aren't gamer powerhouses but still pretty decent these days, do not have great support for newer OpenGL features either.

Basically, doing crossplatform development sucks cocks and you shouldn't hold your breath too much for Vulkan support until a year or two unless you find devs who don't care about anything but NVIDIA. It'll take time for vulkan support to get at a decent level across the board, that is, on platforms it can actually get to, like Linux. It'll be persona-non-grata on iOS and Mac.

A user named cat

Thanks for the info. Most of the technical platform info is far beyond my knowledge but that's doesn't sound like great news. I was under the impression that it was being implemented soon and would make developement much easier for the Dolphin devs across the board. Which would result in issues like shader generation being ironed out and higher IR optimization like the DX12 test release addresses.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"Implemented soon" is an impossibility considering NO ONE but khronos members can get their hands on the spec. You can't install drivers with beta support for Vulkan without Khronos membership either.
Taking into account the time it'll take for Vulkan to be an actual thing in the wild, time it'll take for open source devs to learn it (I doubt there's any emulator developer with a Khronos membership so obviously they can't start learning anything about it until it actually gets a public release), and then push out stable releases of their implementations.. this isn't a couple of months affair.

Paradoxically, Microsoft is a lot more open than those "industry standards" retards. You could develop DirectX12 software back in March during very early Windows 10 betas. It's not just because DX is popular that all the dx12 implementations are popping up everywhere in the emu world, there's also the fact that it has been in developer hands for a long time already.
Khronos group has always been a joke. Design by committee is an inherently inefficient process.
Apple might not have ended up investing so much in Metal if OpenGL didn't move so slowly. Now that they did invest in their own API, they have no interest anymore in supporting third party stuff like Vulkan.
The OpenGL/Vulkan devs only have themselves to blame for the shitty situation. AMD even gave them a template with Mantle. They still haven't published a finalized spec. How incompetent do you have to be?

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I've never messed with Model 3 emulation but isn't the only choice Supermodel? It's still got a long ways to go. Most of the games have bugs still and some are unplayable. If you're going to run Dolphin and PCSX2 on a laptop, you're likely going to have to stick to native or 2x internal resolution at most unless that thing has a beefy gpu.

Weren't you bent on setting up all systems though? Don't overlook lesser known systems like Atari 8-Bit, Atari ST, MSX 1 & 2, Sega SG-1000, NEC SuperGrafx and ZX Spectrum. Lots of great games to play on all of those. I have clean, full sets for all of them (Hyperspin no-intro database standards) but probably can't share them here. Rules gonna rule.

BRO NOT REALLY CRAZY ABOT ALL SYSTEMS I JUST WANT THE ONES I LIKED GROWING UP

GOT A GTX 950M IN THE LAPTOPAND I THINK IT WILL RUN DOLPGIN AD PCX2

I THINK I CAN INTEGRATE THE MAME AND ALL OUTHET ARCADE SYSTEM LISTS I FOUND A WORKAROUND

MOSTLY WANT MODEL 3 JUST FOR THE STAR WARS TRILOGY AND YEAH SUPERMODEL IS THE WAY TO GO

NOW FOR NAOMI GAMES I ALREADY HAVE MAKARON CONFIGURED FOR MY FRONT-END

DEMUL US HARDER TO CONFIGURE BUT SUPPORTS ATOMISWAVE GAMES TOO

EITHER WAY I THINK I HAVE TO START FUCKING WITH AUTOHOTKEY SCRIPTS

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OK BROS DID SOME UPDATING OF OLDER EMUS THAT ARE FUCKING WITH ME ONB WINDOBW 10

MEDNAFEN ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT IS AWESOME

REPLACE KEGA FUSION AND FCEUX WITH MEDNAFEN

FOR AN EMULATOR I NEED IT TO PLAY NICE WITH MY FRONT END AND HAVE REMAPPABLE HOTKEYS FOR EXIT SAVE STATE ETC AND THIS DOES IT

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm well aware of shader generation stuttering, which is why I mentioned using Ishiiraku's build. It attempts to minimize the stuttering by using async timing which is much smoother and will negate problems like audio hiccups and such. Still not perfect though and can cause issues of its own. The tradeoff is worth it. I was just saying that regardless of what you use, Xenoblade's texture pack makes the hitching a bit worse but the game looks a ton better with it. Didn't even know about Dolphin's texture mod scene until recently, some nice stuff to be found and they're super easy to use.

I just tried Xenoblade again and I don't notice a difference. (maybe I'm just not anal enough)

Using the latest normal dolphin build, the D3D (OpenGL stutters, mainly because I disabled EFB to texture for the save file screens) backend and that custom texture preload thing.

Specs: 4690k @4.4, GTX 980 and 16GB RAM

Puukko

Arcane
Jesus! Wii U emulation completely went under my radar. At this rate I'll just wait until I can emulate TW101 and Bayo 2.

Stargazer_

Playing old PS1 titles with anti-aliasing and filtering feels weird as fucking a old Onahole and borderline uncanny in some games, but guess its probably closer to the artist intended vision.

Might not be that soon though.

Probably 3 to 5 years.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Playing old PS1 titles with anti-aliasing and filtering feels weird as fucking a old Onahole and borderline uncanny in some games, but guess its probably closer to the artist intended vision.

? Isn't that p. much impossible on psx emulators.

Well, it's like the taste of shit. You don’t need to actually experience it to have an idea of how it feels like.

(I think an old onahole feels like someone gripping your dick with greasy rubber gloves)

Stargazer, the artists take into consideration the limitations of a cpnsole when creating the game. If you want the intended vision, turn off dem filters and bask in the jaggies.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not exactly an emulator thing, but I don't want to create new thread for this - people make it happen, it is finally possible to downgrade from any firmware to legendary hackable 9.2... So yeah, entire 3DS scene is on 'ITZ HAPPENING MODE' cause it really work.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS PUMPED AS SHIT

PS2 AND GAMESCUBE EMU WORKS ON MY LAPTOP SO FAR WITH DECTB SPEES

N64 EMULATION WAS SHIR RHOUGH AND I DONY FEEL LIKE FUCKINF WITH IT RIGHT NOW

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tested this build.
DirectX3D11 Hardware (GF650 Ti Boost) + few hacks (to remove graphic glitcher/artifacts) made Psi Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy totally playable.
No problems with virtual memory cards from the start was surprising too (it made some problems before, no idea why, it's the only game that did these problems).
:thumbsup:x2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom